Skip to main content

tv   Dr. S Gupta  CNN  May 22, 2011 4:00pm-5:00pm PDT

4:00 pm
>> ask not what your country can do for you. >> it was the dawn for a new hopeful age. >> the problems are not and the battles are not all us and we
4:01 pm
stand today on the edge of a new frontier. >> president john f. kennedy. jfk. and then, there was bobby. >> we have to make an effort to understand, to get beyond or go beyond these rather difficult times. >> and teddy, the third to reach the u.s. senate. the three handsome brothers carved a legend in the stone of national politics. >> too many of our senior citizens are being forced to choose between neglecting their ailments or being pulverized by them. >> at home, there was ted and his wife, joan. teddy junior, kara, and patrick. who was the youngest by six years. there were many bright days to remember. and dark ones too. by the time patrick was born,
4:02 pm
his uncle, the president, had been murdered. and before he was 2, his uncle robert had been murdered as well. >> saw a wrong and tried to right it. saw suffering and tried to heal it. saw war and tried to stop it. >> it was july of 1967, patrick's birth made headlines. just five days old, and people wondered if he would run for president. >> did you sit around the dinner table, i mean the same issues that he would talk about in public were were those part of the dinner time. >> my dad as well as my uncles always included all of our family in anything he was doing. and he was often following on everywhere when i was a child. i would go to the office with him. when i was at home, he would bring the office to me. because he had briefings all the time in his office. and of course i probably caught
4:03 pm
less than 10% of what was actually being said, but i caught the sense that there was something being discussed that was big and important. i felt like i had a front row seat to american history. >> i admire their spirit and their ability to get along with it is really something. >> in the pictures, there's glamour, ease and beauty. but life wasn't always easy. not for patrick. >> well you know, he was sickly. he had asthma and he would talk about how his father would stay up with him at night. >> a reporter for the hometown paper, the boston globe, came to know senator kennedy pretty well, later in the 80s. >> even when had had people to the house for dinner it was annish you've getting to know members or staffers or so forth
4:04 pm
and just his life, it really was. >> as we now know, for patrick, home wasn't always a refuge. >> he add mother with a very severe alcohol problem. his brother had cancer and had his leg removed. that is very stressful. parents divorce. father's difficulty. it is a lot to deal with. >> his father traveled. his mother was an alcoholic. he was lonely a lot. >> darrell west wrote the book on patrick kennedy and says that patrick's troubles got worse once he went went off to boarding school. >> he experienced his first issues of substance abuse as a high school senior and had to check into substance abuse center. >> patrick was just 17 years old. none of us would keep him out of the family business. >> i've been taking my campaign door to door and that's been the only way to campaign.
4:05 pm
>> at age 21, still a student at providence college, he made his first run for office. >> he looked like a college kid when he was first running. he was socially awkward. he was kind of tall and gangly. it was very difficult for him. he didn't have the polished political skills that people expect of a kennedy. >> even so, he won. six years later, he made it to congress. >> patrick kennedy, the next congressman from the second district -- >> he made his mark as a fund-raiser. he showed fire on issues like gun control. >> families like mine all across this country know all too well what damage of weapons can do. >> but his personal problems kept intruding. >> congressman patrick kennedy reveals he is reentering rehab. >> and the hits, the kind that most people would like to forget, they just kept coming. shoving an airport security
4:06 pm
guard. a fight on his yacht that caught the attention of the coast guard. and then the one that really made wave. >> the story involves a car, allegations of intoxication and special treatment and a kennedy. >> crashing his car just down the street from the u.s. capitol. at 2:30 in the morning. >> i'm traveling to minnesota to seek treatment at the mayo clinic to ensure i can continue on my road to recovery. >> this time patrick blamed the crash on sleep willing pills. >> well as soon as the offices opened, i called over to patrick's office to offer any help i could be as a recovering alcoholic myself. that i -- i was there for him if that was the problem. >> at the time, jim ramstad was a republican congress plan from minnesota. he became patrick's sponsor at aa. >> we really got to know each other of a that so-called barricade incident.
4:07 pm
that's when we became very, very close friends. >> kennedy didn't exactly keep his problems hidden. it might have been impossible anyway. but instead of running away, he made addiction treatment and mental healthcare a central issue. >> i have an addiction. i have a mental illness. >> but i have never heard patrick or any politician for that matter, as candid as he was now. >> how much of this is personal for you. >> well i am a recovering addict, alcoholic. i've suffered depression in my life. i've seen in my own life friends of mine, including family members, suffer the ultimate in losing their lives because of this illness. >> what was your family's response when you told them you had addiction. you had been addicted to pain killers. you talked about cocaine at a very young age. you talked about bipolar. you were diagnosed with it, may or may not have it now, depression. what was their reaction?
4:08 pm
>> their reaction was informed by open minds. so they weren't so set. >> they didn't want to just put you in the corner? >> no. there were inclinations as in every family but ultimately my family was part of the family part of the civil rights fights, part of destig my advertising special developments with special olympics. the kennedy family is known for persevering on the football field, active, winner. so of course, how did i feel? i felt like a loser. i felt like oh, god i'm not living up. what a shame. you know, i'm a shame on my family. by needing treatment for getting mental health treatment. but i, luckily, had help. and i also am lucky because that help made a difference in the quality of life that i have
4:09 pm
today. >> just ahead, more of patrick kennedy coming clean. and his controversial theory of addiction. i'll be right back. ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ the new blackberry playbook. it runs all this at the same time. ♪ why can't every tablet do that?
4:10 pm
[ woman speaking chinese ] thank you. do you have an english menu? no english. [ speaking chinese ] [ gasps, speaks chinese ] do you guys like dumplings? i love dumplings. working with a partner you can trust is always a good decision. massmutual -- let our financial professionals help you reach your goals. and all we need to do is change the way we're thinking about them. a couple decades ago, we didn't even realize just how much natural gas was trapped in rocks thousands of feet below us. technology has made it possible to safely unlock this cleanly burning natural gas. this deposits can provide us with fuel for a hundred years, providing energy security and economic growth all across this country. it just takes somebody having the idea,
4:11 pm
and that's where the discovery comes from. [ male announcer ] in 2011, at&t is at work, building up our wireless network all across america. we're adding new cell sites... increasing network capacity, and investing billions of dollars to improve your wireless network experience. from a single phone call to the most advanced data download, we're covering more people in more places than ever before in an effort to give you the best network possible. at&t. rethink possible.
4:12 pm
>> as the nation's greatest senator in history, he made sure that there was access to opportunity for every child. >> when my husband was a young teen, he went to washington, d.c. and teddy was mess my maine rised. >> the day he met with patrick kennedy, it was a special day for the kennedy. ground-breaking. for the new edward m. kennediens tut. >> how significant is today for you? >> it's obviously great to see my father's legacy still so alive and well and see so many people turn out to honor him in this way and to keep his legacy
4:13 pm
alive. on the other hand, it is just a reminder that i don't have him in person any more and that it has to come through this building and memories in order for me to, you know, think of him. he isn't just in front of me or by my side or able to share a conversation. >> you think about him everyday? >> it depends on situation and clearly, i just took my fiance to meat my aunt and it was moving to me because i hadn't realized that i didn't get to introduce her to my dad. yeah, he is with me everyday. >> that would have meant a lot. >> on this bitter sweet day, kennedy wanted to talk about a new campaign. he calls it moon shot. ramping up research on the brain and in all kinds of brain disease. the cancer that killed his father but also the things that patrick has struggled with. like mental illness.
4:14 pm
and addiction. >> when was the first time you ever had a drink? >> well, i can't really determine, you know, which of it seems like many different kinds of, you know, opportunities that i had as a teenager to drink and so forth. >> so hard to know exactly when. >> to pin down the exact date, sure. >> was there drinking was it just around, available? every evening at the house? >> well, i think that the key to this is that whether it was alcohol, whether it was a stimulant, whether it was a narcotic, whatever it was, i was using it to run away from feeling what i was feeling. i was self-medicating. and the key to understanding neuro science is to understand what it is that's giving those pervasive feelings that drives
4:15 pm
someone to feel they have to self-medicate in order to get relief. >> is addiction a moral failure or is it a disease of the brain? >> it's a disease of the brain. >> absolutely. >> clearly. this is totally a neurological disorder. and of course we so shame this illness that if you have a person who is in their right mind, why would anybody subject themselves to the shame of being out of control wsh alcoholic, addict, who wants those asthma ortive terms to describe them? because no one i know would have subjected themselves to the kinds of ridicule and shame that these diseases subject someone to. >> what is the worst ridicule and shame you got? >> no, i mean, it's nothing different for me than it is for anyone else who has this. but i'm just saying in general,
4:16 pm
in society, everyone knows what people say about someone with a chemical addiction and alcoholism. >> for anyone who has known an alcohol ing and drug addict, and that is most of us frankly, that is a loaded topic. we will get to patrick kennedy in a moment. but first i want to speak with an addiction specialist at university of virginia. he speaks with companies developing medication for addiction. and also a psychiatrist at yale university. thanks to you both for being with us. he is a fascinating guy. let me start with you dr. johnson, is addiction a brain disease. >> it is absolutely a brain disease. >> do you agree with that? is it a brain disease? >> i don't call it that. i'm a clinician and it doesn't help me very much when i'm talking to my patients to tell them they are -- >> from a scientific perspective, is addiction a brain disease? >> to me it is more of a, almost
4:17 pm
a practical question. what is the most useful way it think about addiction? if you're trying to get someone into recovery. >> i want you to listen to something along this point. i want you to listen to something patrick kennedy said specifically and we will come back. >> why would anyone voluntarily choose to put themselves in these situations once someone already identified them as an alcoholic, why would they go out there and drink again. >> the reason why i think what he said is so interesting, it gets at idea, does he have a choice? >> that person is not choosing to be an alcoholic. that person is choosing to feel better momentarily. that is what drives drug use and addiction? >> do you think they is a close? >> i think as patrick says, no one wakes up in the morning and said, gosh, the thing i would like to do is become an addict. a person who is not addicted 0r
4:18 pm
drugs 0r alcohol can make a drink and make that choice. once a person is addict toyed the disease, their ability to make a choice changes. >> everyone who has come into my clinic has made a decision. they made a decision, today is the day i'm going to get help. or they say, today is the day i am going to stop using. now as a clinician we welcome everyone in the clinic. you don't get a prize for white-knuckle it. but the truth is, most people actually do quit on their own. >> we will leave it there for right now. we will have much more in just a minute. >> next, patrick kennedy's surprising take on the shooting ever his friend, congresswoman gabrielle giffords. patrick kennedy, coming clean. we'll be right back. [ female announcer ] it's red lobster's
4:19 pm
festival of shrimp for just $11.99. create your own combination of two of our most tempting selections from favorites to new creations for just $11.99 during the festival of shrimp. ending soon at red lobster. so every year my family throws this great reunion in austin. but this year, i can only afford one trip and i've always wanted to learn how to surf. austin's great -- just not for surfing. so i checked out hotwire. and by booking with them, i saved enough to swing both trips. see, hotwire checks the competition's rates every day so they can guarantee their low prices. that's how i got a 4-star hotel on the beach in san diego for half price. ♪ h-o-t-w-i-r-e ♪ hotwire.com
4:20 pm
4:21 pm
>> patrick kennedy spent half his life in public office. even as he wrestled publicly with addiction and depression. that year, 2008, it was kennedy and kennedy. father and son. ted on the senate side.
4:22 pm
patrick in the house, pushing key legislation to require that insurance companies cover mental illness as well as physical problems. the term they use is parody. president bush signed it into law. >> when you talk about parody, the average person doesn't know anything about this, what did z it mean. >> treating physical health the same as mental health. >> in this case, equality insurance reimbursement for the brain just the same as any other part of the body. if you have a chemical imbalance and you need more insulin, you don't have any question about it. but if you needer is ya seratonin then they look at it askew. we are in modern times if people are treating this illness as it is back in the dark age. civil rights didn't pass until '64 and '65 and we had to go through a great deal before america finally came to the
4:23 pm
realization, hey, why don't we treat everybody the same. recedes seems to me hard it believe, within the last century we add holocaust, not only in europe but in ra wanda. we think we live in modern age. it brings home the fact that basic justice is not always something we can take for granted. >> you think with regard to mental illness the people that people are discriminated against, still stigma advertised despice this bill is on that level? civil rights? >> you know, when we look back in history and see how populations in our country were persistently discriminated against and segregated and marginalized, you think of minority groups of all colors and stripes, gender, you name it. the most persistent stigma in discrimination and prejudice really exists still, to this day, towards people with mental
4:24 pm
illness. there is that sense like jarod laufner out in arizona. he is crazy. they look the other way. not thinking that this is someone who is sick and needs healthcare. instead, because we look at other way, and he goes untreated, he shoots and kills people including a good frent of mine, gabrielle giffords. >> jarod laufener is the 22-year-old accused of shooting congresswoman gabrielle giffords. he has a history of alarming erratic behavior. >> how our attention is on gabby an her recovery of her brain. and he is being jailed for his brain. not being recovered. it is an irony but we think nothing of, no stigma towards gabby and her brain injury but he has a brain injury as well because clearly his brain was not working properly when he picked up that gun and shot all
4:25 pm
those people and in every picture you saw, you clearly, and story that you read, it is clear that this is someone who is mentally, physically challenged with these psychotic breaks he was suffering from. like millions of other americans, we're going to put him in jail, as in the case of most people in our prison system, who are in jail because of an untreated mental illness. >> did someone or something fail jarod laufener? >> clearly we all failed. we failed as society because every time we see someone and we use the word crazy, you know, psycho, nuts, we look the other way. we say oh, well we're not going to help them. but if you or i saw someone who fell down in the middle of the street or they bruised themselves or are bleeding we would help them out. that is everyone's natural instinct. >> let's talk about you. people obviously want to --
4:26 pm
people are fossaascinated by yo. you are completely clean now. >> yes. >> how long has it been since you've add drink. >> well i do it for today. if i think of my sobriety as within anything other than today then either i'm complacent because i think i have strung too many days together to worry about it or i'm not thinking about what i need do today. >> people hit rock bottom before they get diagnosed. when did you know? when did you hit rock bottom and say okay i've got to get the treatment now that i know potentially can work and maybe even devote my life to this? >> well i've struggled and. i haven't had perfect sobriety over the long-term but i have put certain days together and managed effectively just to live and fight for another day
4:27 pm
legislatively. i'm look to live more than just surviving. i'm looking to live a life that's fuller than sobriety. i could function but that's not all i want to do. i want to live. >> still to come, more with patrick kennedy. how many times did you need go to rehab? patrick kennedy, coming clean, continues into a moment. erica. we're adding new cell sites... increasing network capacity, and investing billions of dollars to improve your wireless network experience. from a single phone call to the most advanced data download, we're covering more people in more places than ever before in an effort to give you the best network possible. at&t. rethink possible.
4:28 pm
[ melissa ] i hit the water and everything changed. ♪ i saw what my life could be... and found the strength to make it happen. ♪ i lost my leg serving my country. now i serve in a new uniform. [ male announcer ] helping people achieve without limits. at the hartford it's what we do... and why we're the founding partner of the u.s. paralympic team. show your support at facebook.com/thehartford. each day was fueled by thorough preparation for events to come. well somewhere along the way, emily went right on living. but you see, with the help of her raymond james financial advisor, she had planned for every eventuality.
4:29 pm
which meant she continued to have the means to live on... even at the ripe old age of 187. life well planned. see what a raymond james advisor can do for you. ♪ well, you know i love it too ♪ ♪ you love money ♪ well, you know i love it too ♪
4:30 pm
♪ i work so hard at my job ♪ and then i bring it home to you ♪ ♪ i love money in my pocket >> i'm don lemon, here are your headlines this hour. police arrested a suspect for the march 31 beating of a san francisco giant's fan at dodger stadium in los angeles. the victim, bryan stow was in a coma and is listed in critical condition. investigators have been looking for two men but investigators said in a conference a short time ago that there are two suspects at large. >> even the dead can't escape the flood of mississippi. you can barely see the head stones in this cemetery. several caskets actually floated
4:31 pm
out of the ground but were recovered as the cresting river slowly winds south towards new orleans residents are warned the high water will stick around for weeks. health officials also warn the floodwaters of full of dangerous microbes and bacteria. those are your headlines. i'm don lemon. we now return to sanjay gupta and patrick kennedy of a the break. a large part of that is oil sands. this resource has the ability to create hundreds of thousands of jobs. at our kearl project in canada, we'll be able to produce these oil sands with the same emissions as many other oils and that's a huge breakthrough. that's good for our country's energy security and our economy.
4:32 pm
4:33 pm
4:34 pm
>> welcome back. i'm dr. sanjay gupta. talking with patrick kennedy, among other things, with his 25-year struggle with alcohol and drugs. >> how many times did you need to go to rehab? >> i would say i've been to rehab easily over half a dozen times. >> was there a time when you said this isn't working? and this just doesn't work? >> well, one of the things that i knew i needed to do was to live a life that could support my recovery in a way that was more conducive to long-term recovery. and that's why i chose not to run for reelection, because frankly, living in the public eye and a political life was not conducive to really getting that kind of long-term steady recovery that, you know, is
4:35 pm
absolutely got to be the number one priority in my life. >> people say that if someone is an addict they usually have an enabler. someone enabling them or groups of people enabling them. who is enabling you to do this? >> well obviously when you're an elected official, you have lots of people want to endear themselves to you. and not always in the most healthy way. so clearly, as i said, the stress of the job but also the attendant enabling that allows you to try to continue your job in the short run often compromises your long-term recovery. because you think oh, i need help now, or i need someone to give me a pill. if you're not going to give it to me, i will find someone who can. >> someone might think of it opposite that because you are under so much scrutiny and in the public eye, it would be hard to find enablers.
4:36 pm
but you say staff people giving pills, giving drinks. >> you have people all over the country who want to do you a favor. and if they think they doing you a favor if you do what they -- if they do what you ask them to do, then you'll be able to go anywhere you want in order to get drinking and to get any kind of medication you think you need in order to -- anything to get through. >> were you doing this in the office? >> sanjay, i think the point of this is that i clearly had treatment while i was a member of congress. >> i ask you these questions, even now, in fairness, part of it is because it can be destigma advertising to have someone actually talk about it candidly. >> it can, but you know, it reminds me that other reporters have asked me, which drugs did
4:37 pm
you use? to you use alcohol? did you use cocaine? did you use narcotics? i said it is like sneakers, who cares what colors the sneakers are. you are using the same sneakers whether it is alcohol, cocaine, narcotic. you're using something to run away. that's the operative issue here. >> people say, we heard mr. kennedy likening it to diabetes. you give them insulin, maybe their pancreas work, are we going to get do that? it is lack of serotonin, will we get to that? >> if i went out and had chocolate cake because of diabetes no one would be writing about me. do we have people with diabetes be not followi compliance with
4:38 pm
their doctor, do we treat them like someone with an illness like alcoholis snem no. and you nailed it. because it's not the same. but it is the same. i mean, it's behavioral. sure you take your insulin but you're supposed to not also eat too much chocolate cake. if someone eats a bunch of chocolate cake, they're not going to call up and say, patrick kennedy was out eating a lot of chocolate cake because he has diabetes and that's not a story. >> again, it was just fascinating to talk to him, doctor, just like a diabetic eating chocolate cake. that's the analogy he use. when you hear that, first of all, just your immediate impression. >> well i work in a methadone clinic. a lot of folks refer to methadone as almost insulin. they say a diabetic would take its insulin and a heroin addict
4:39 pm
should take methadone. i work in that clinic. i think methadone is an excellent therapy. but i should tell that you about half of the people in our clinic still use cocaine and heroin. congressman mentioned stress. this is what people do, they self-medicate. >> can anybody in your opinion, be treated then for substance addiction? >> absolutely. >> anyone can be treated and that's what we are trying to get to. >> but if you think in fact this is a disease of the brain, you think this is a disease, the way patrick kennedy describes it, being a kin to diabetes, it changes the way it is perceived and how it is treated and how quickly treatments come. >> in that case, there could be a down side it that actually. because the extent that you take the disease model in a very concrete way, then we might decide we shouldn't hold people accountable. >> it is easy to see, even
4:40 pm
respected psychiatrists, addiction specialists, do not see eye to eye on this. here is more of what patrick had to say. >> if addiction is more of a brain disease than it is a moral failure, should or would programs like aa work? >> what i do know, myself, is that this is a multipronged approach. you know, physical. it's spiritual. it's moral in the sense that, you know, people who feel as if they have no place in the world, they're clearly not going to have the same interest in recovery as if they felt they have a stake in the world. >> coming up, patrick kennedy's new passion. as a neuro surgeon i was eager to hear about this moon shot to the mind. what is it? that's next. prs i'll tell you what -- when we stop to fill it up. ♪
4:41 pm
♪ [ son ] you realize, it's gotta run out sometime. ♪ ♪ well, you know i love it too ♪ ♪ you love money ♪ well, you know i love it too ♪
4:42 pm
♪ i work so hard at my job ♪ and then i bring it home to you ♪ ♪ i love money in my pocket ♪ flash, aah-ah l about blackberry playbook? that's right. it runs flash. so unlike some tablets we could mention, you get the best of the internet - not just part of it. ♪ flash, aah-ah ♪ flash, aah-ah host: could switching to geico or more on car insurance? host: would foghleghorn make a really bad boonaor? foghn (stammerg): it was the best of time it was the wor - y worst of times. and by worst i'm talkin
4:43 pm
athat stuffl yone.ad asau nny' p engineer: ok that was a little... foghorn: you gettin' all this in there son? i just added that last part it's called "adlibbin..."anyway...it was, i say it was... vo: geico. 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on car insurae. i know what works differently than many other allergy medications. omnaris. omnaris, to the nose! did you know nasal symptoms like congestion can be caused by allergic inflammation? omnaris relieves your symptoms by fighting inflammation. side effects may include headache, nosebleed, and sore throat. i tossed t allergy symptoms out of my party. [ man ] omnaris. ask your doctor. battling nasal allergy symptoms? omnaris combats the cause. get omnaris for only $11 at omnaris.com. >> i believe that this nation should permit itself to
4:44 pm
achieving the goal before this decade is out of landing a man on the moon and returning him safely to the earth. we clooz to go to the moon. we choose to go to the moon in this decade and dot other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard. >> it was 50 years ago that president kennedy launched the space program. within two years, there were americans in orbit. within eight, there were men on the moon. now the late president's nephew, patrick kennedy, out of congress, out of public office for the first time since college, he's launching a moon program for brain research. hunting cures for addiction, mental illness, traumatic brain injury and other problems with the mind. >> 50 years. it has been, may of 1961.
4:45 pm
>> that was an event that will define this country and it sticks in the memory of everyone who lived through it and everyone told about it. here we are talk about a broad thing. neuro science. mental illness, post traumatic stress. all these things. seems pretty ambitious. >> kneel armstrong, one -- neil armstrong one small step for man, one giant step for mankind. imagine him paralyzed because of an iad, stepping first i'm ever, of their injury, out of a wheelchair. tell me because of neuro science reconnected the spinal cord, allowing someone to walk for the first time again is not as powerful as a man on the moon and letting them make that first step. >> the speech in '61, there are lines that stick out, including
4:46 pm
we will put man on the moon and return him safely. when you say "it" now, what is "it" that equates it putting man on the moon. what will we look at and say we did it, what is it? >> we helped our loved ones and our family members live a better life. because this isn't been neuro science. it's about finding a way to take care of the people we love. it is about keeping the people like my dad around longer because a neuro surgeon was able to give him an additional year of life because that neuro surgeon knew the brain so well, and gave me the most important year i ever had with my father. that's as personal as it gets. and if you have someone like pli uncle sarge who suffered from alzheimer's were my aunt rosemary who suffered mental retardation, the fact is, we can help our family members by better understanding the brain. >> it isn't the first time a kennedy has taken on a project so ambitious regarding the
4:47 pm
brain. patrick's aunt, eunice kennedy shriver, started the special olympics. inspired by her sister, rosemary, and today, maria shriver is a leading voice on alzheimer's. and of course, there's the final struggle of patrick's father. who died of brain cancer. >> how much of what you are talking about right now is inspired by your father and what happened to him over the last you know, year, 14 months of his life? >> well, it's very much inspired by it. because my dad got the best care. and you know, that's what informs me just as he was informed in his fight for healthcare by my brother's struggle. again, it's personal. you know, the laboratory person doing this research is a hero to me. >> this is one of patrick's hero. a bioengineer at harvard who
4:48 pm
happens to be an explosive expert. he has done two tours of duty in afghanistan. >> i've got about 16 years in infantry in the army, so i know a little bit about what happens when things blow up. >> back home, he began it study how an explosion rattles the brain and can damage it permanently. >> what happens when the brain gets hit by a blast waving with it slams up against the inside of the skull. >> with colleagues at northeastern university he has found ingenious waves to simulate the mechanics of the injury. >> you can see in the puddle, the wave, that's what happens when the blast wave pushes through the brain. >> kennedy says this new approach to an old problem could translate it other fields of brain research. >> if you say what we really need to do is study and get all of the basic circuits of the brain, identified and understood. >> staglin agreed to help on
4:49 pm
moon shot of a seeing kennedy's work on mental illness. just like it is for kennedy, his fight is personal for him. >> our son had a typical first incident of schizophrenia between his freshman and sophomore year at dart moth college. >> brandon did find effective treatment for his mental illness. today he is able to work on mental health cause. in 2009, he got married. >> yes, we don't yet have the cures but people can lead a very productive life with medication and compliance. and unconditional love and support from their families. >> the ambition is simply staggering. a detailed map of the brain in ten years with better treatments for just about every brain disease you can think of. >> if we don't have neuro scientists working together, if they're not all working together, you're never going to find the answers to get us to that proverbial landing that we all want to see. whether that landing is michael
4:50 pm
j. fox getting well or someone with alzheimer's not suffering from dementia. this is a thousand moon shots in order of complexity, sanjay but that makes it all the more chaling and for our generation, this is our chance to make the y on losing his father. and finding a new family. [ sam d just 30 seconds. another reminder of what i couldn't do. ♪ the accident could have been my excuse to quit. i made it my reason to go even harder. ♪ [ male announcer ] helping people achieve without limits. at the hartford it's what we do... and why we're the founding partner of the u.s. paralympic team. show your support at facebook.com/thehartford. down the hill? man: all right. we were actually thinking, maybe... we're going to hike up here, so we'll catch up with you guys.
4:51 pm
[ indistinct talking and laughter ] whew! i think it's worth it. working with a partner you can trust is always a good decision. massmutual. let our financial professionals help you reach your goals. festival of shrimp for just $11.99. create your own combination of two of our most tempting selections from favorites to new creations for just $11.99 during the festival of shrimp. ending soon at red lobster.
4:52 pm
4:53 pm
welcome back. i'm dr. sanjay gupta. there's another thing you should know about patrick kennedy. he's getting married to a sixth grade history teacher with a 3-year-old daughter. the wedding is set for the second week in july. what are your days like? >> i make sure i try to get all my e-mails and phone calls out of the way during the day so that by 3:00, when my fiancee comes home and brings her daughter, we're able to play, have an early dinner and then get her to bed. we have a long bedtime routine that involves sharing stories, and i'll read curious george one night or fancy nancy the other night. that's the best therapy i've ever had. >> what's it like being a dad? almost a dad. >> well, i'm just right now loving on this amazing little
4:54 pm
girl is the daughter of my fiancee. and looking forward to the opportunity to just providing that kind of support and family structure to them that they are to me, because really, in a way, i would not be living, breathing, smiling, eyes sparkling if it weren't for them in my life. >> so being able to have someone in amy and her 3-year-old daughter to be able to talk to about this. >> just to share life with, because the greatest determine yent of you not recovering is not having love and connectedness in your life. >> so, how did you meet her? >> i met her at an arc event. i was talking about my aunt eunice, developmental disabilities. her father was a special ed teacher. unable to make it that night, he
4:55 pm
gave her his ticket. hence, i met her. and the rest is history. >> how did you pop the question? >> i got on my knees. >> did you? >> yep. >> old school? >> old school. i even went to her parents beforehand and asked ther permission. >> good for you. do you think about the way you rn raised, your father's parenting when you're dealing with harper or teaching her or reading to her? do you try to remember any of those specific parenting skills? >> i remember my father telling me a story about his father scolding my uncle when he was president of the united states, because my cousin caroline was crying and someone came to my uncle and said, here, take this call, it's important. he went and took the call. when he got back, my father told me that my grandfather took him aside and said, just remember one thing, the most important job you'll ever have in your entire life is being father to that child. the illustration that, you know,
4:56 pm
his father wanted to make sure it wasn't a lost on my uncle is the most -- at the time, powerful in the world, that the true power was being a parent and the influence that parent has on a child. and my dad illustrated through his life, because he always made time, as much time as he could, to spend with me. but always made sure he made clear to me how much he loved me, which at the end of the day, was something i'll never forget and always love him for. >> say, you know what, i'm going to demonstrate -- >> after finishing the interview, i asked patrick to go with me to the jfk library. i wanted to try and see it through the eyes of another kennedy, still looking to make his mark. where are we here? >> right here at the front of
4:57 pm
the presidential library dedicated to my uncle and his presidency. it's obviously not only reflective of a time but an attitude. and it's that attitude that we're invoking with this moonshot campaign. >> i get goose butches when i come in front of the john f. kennedy presidential library? do you still? time i go in this place. i don't think there's a person that can't be inspired by something going on inside here. mental disability, januasanjay . welcome, everybody. we're saying we need to go to inner space of brain research for our moonshot for today. >> just like that, i was reminded what it must be like to be a kennedy. ♪ for the land of the free ♪ and the home of the brave
4:58 pm
>> what do you think he would say if you described moonshot to him? as we walked through this monument to the president who sent men soaring to the moon, patrick got back to his father. >> he gave me an implicit message when he asked me to be around him. at the end of this life. to spend time with him. at the end of the day, that's the only thing that mattered. he could have all the laws in the world, he could have all the accolades and awards, but the only thing that ultimately mattered to him when he was alone at the end of his life is not being alone, being surrounded by the people he loved the most, whom he knew loved him the most. not because he was a senator, but because he was a famous guy,
4:59 pm
but because he was our dad. >> it was obvious the pain was still there, but then -- >> shall we see -- >> more than that, you can meet my fiancee right here. amy. >> hi there. sanjay. >> amy. nice to meet you. >> amy is not only a school teacher but, i mean, she cares so much about childhood development, which is all about understanding these things, too. so, wie're a real team in the effort. >> what do you think about moonshot? >> it's so exciting. >> it's going to take your future hub away a lot of the time. it's ambitious. >> yes, but hopeful i not too much. >> she gets me back in time for bedtime story. >> curious george and fancy nancy? >> yes, he has to be home by 7:00. >> as we talked, patrick was smiling, ear to ear. he was happy. >> let the word

57 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on