Skip to main content

tv   CNN Tonight With Don Lemon  CNN  February 8, 2016 7:00pm-8:01pm PST

7:00 pm
primary of the 2016 election. nine voters in dixville notch will vote in a picture perfect town on the new hampshire border. the boy scouts now are doing a mock vote in the town. the actual voting there doesn't begin until midnight. we'll be there to bring it to you live along with the results. our coverage of the new hampshire primary continues right now with "cnn tonight" and don lemon. it's really under way, everyone. take a look at this. you're looking live now. this is dixville notch, new hampshire, where in just two hours, midnight eastern time, residents of this tiny town will do what they do every four years. they're going to cast the first primary vote for the presidential race. it all gets started there and we'll bring you the results right here on cnn. this is "cnn tonight." i'm don lemon. thanks for watching. we're live at the famous foundry
7:01 pm
restaurant where snow is falling and forecast for tomorrow, but not enough to stop voters here. it was a mini blizzard today, but this is really spring for the girls and boys here. i keep looking at dana bash. we'll get to dana in a little bit. the latest polls shows donald trump ahead of his challenger. it is getting nas tier and nastier. >> jeb is a lightweight. >> donald trump, you're a loser. >> we ever a lot to get to tonight, and i want to turn right away, as i said, to dana bash, cnn's chief political correspondent. dana, the snow is falling, but that's not stopping the drubidrg or clubbing of republicans. they're really going at each other, especially donald trump.
7:02 pm
>> let's look at the tweets they were sending to each other. donald trump: everyone is laughing about the money he spent, a pathetic figure. donald trump, you're not just a loser, you're a liar. john mccain is a hero. over and out. >> so what's going on? >> these two guys have been going at it for so long, and now they're finally on the precipece of the actual voting. jeb bush feels he's the only guy standing up to the guy he says is a bully. >> you got a chance to ask him about that today, correct in. >> i did. what i wanted to know from him was given how far he has come and where he started -- because remember, when he started, he was the frontrunner nationally and here in new hampshire.
7:03 pm
i was just looking back at the polls. and he said he would only really run if he ran a joyful campaign. and i was showing him these saying, wow, what a difference there is. watch this. when you started this campaign, or even before, you said that you really only would like to do it if it could be a joyful campaign. >> yeah. >> now we're a day before the new hampshire primary, and you're calling an opponent a loser, a whiner and a liar. >> he is a whiner, and i'm defending the honor of people i really respect. i think that's more than appropriate. i do this with joy in my heart because i do believe this country is the most extraordinary country on the face of the earth. but i'm a joyful warrior. there is a difference between just sitting back and watching someone try to hijack a party that i believe will allow people to rise up again. >> a joyful warrior. a very different kind of campaign that he wanted to run,
7:04 pm
but he has, again, made it clear that he feels like no one else has really decided to stand up to donald trump, not just in terms of the personality conflicts, but because he doesn't think that donald trump is a real conservative, and he's trying to call him out on it. >> they've been hitting him with that. i have the polls in my hand here. it shows donald trump 31%, marco rubio 17, 14 john kasich. the running is for second, third and fourth. this debate that happened this weekend, is that going to change any of this that's reflected in these numbers, do you think? >> this is the daily tracking poll that cnn does with wmmr. the reason cnn does this is because things change so fast in new hampshire, particularly between the time of the iowa caucuses and the new hampshire primary. the numbers haven't changed very much, and to answer your question, most importantly for marco rubio, who had the now infamous moment or moments over
7:05 pm
the weekend -- >> he kept saying the same thing. >> -- when he kept saying the same thing over and over again. it didn't really change. he's in second place, a distant second place, but he's in second place. three-quarters was conducted before the debate and the sample was too small to really tell post-debate if he took a hit. it didn't look like he did but we're not going to be able to tell the answer to that until the real poll happens, until people actually go and vote tomorrow. >> none of the polling matters except the poll where people are casting their ballot. thank you, dana bash. we'll see you around. dana always has some breaking news. i want to bring in hugh at the host of the hugh hewett show. hugh, donald trump called in to wolf blitzer to respond. let's listen to that and then we'll talk. >> he's a desperate person. he's a pathetic person. he doesn't even use his last name in his ads. he's a sad person who has gone absolutely crazy. i mean, this guy is a nervous
7:06 pm
wreck. he goes around saying, "i'm the only one to have courage to go after trump." what courage is it? he says nasty things. i put him down and he goes away like a little sheep. jeb is having a breakdown, i think. he's an embarrassment to his family. he has to bring his mother out and walk his mother around at 90 years old. >> so, hugh, who is going to win this feud between the two? is bush helping himself or hurting trump at all? >> well, donald trump is going to win tomorrow night, and i recall that toy that's been on the market for probably 50 years, rock 'em sock 'em robots, the red robot and the blue robot. that's donald trump and jeb bush, and the guy actually benefiting from that is john kasich. probably the best closing ad, and i've been od'ing on cnn
7:07 pm
because i'm stuck in a hotel room. but john kasich's ad, which is very positive, very uplifting, and he shoots it very wide camera, very smiley, very happy john kasich is in such sharp contrast to everybody else that building on his debate performance saturday night, and i think he's going to come in second, and then i think marco rubio is going to come in third for this reason. when i see david axelrod and paul and jennifer, and i read jonathan shea who are leftist people saying he's bleeding out, then my sense begins to tingle like something is not right with this picture. so marco rubio leaned into it today, so i think he's going to finish stronger. i don't know about tracking polls, don. you said it better. we say the polls are broken, we
7:08 pm
have no turnout model, let's look at the polls. >> let's talk about it. the polls were so wrong to you in iowa. >> but i was right, i was right. >> 32% said they would never vote for him. how solid is his lead, do you think? >> his lead is very solid because he's in every single poll. that's why i think it's very, very solid. i do believe one thing that can take away from these polls is direction, and donald trump's direction has stayed very stable throughout. so there is a new hampshire element that's not going to move. john kasich's direction has been rising a lot in these polls, so i don't think that will change much. we have a bubble, a punditry going on right now. the fact of the matter is that everyone is going to leave here, because we're going to have a black swan event of politics, which is an open convention. so if anyone has any delegates, they've got chips to play with,
7:09 pm
and they're all going to south carolina and they're all going to the next debate i'm doing with cnn on the 25th of february. they're going to be around on the march 10 debate, because they have nothing to lose and it doesn't cost that much to hang around between the two super tuesdays, don. this is great fun. we're getting ourselves spun up too much. >> you think that everyone -- my question to you is, who is out tomorrow and will all those governors go forward, do you think? do you think everyone is in for the long haul. >> the only one i have any doubt about is ben carson. i just don't know if dr. ben will go forward. and i know that chris christie has got hedge fund people behind him, he's got a record, if he can survive, to michigan. he's got a great state that plays well to his strengths. marco rubio and jeb bush got to have it out in florida with donald trump in a great race. south florida will be the
7:10 pm
antetum of finals. there was a battle called the battle of lane and that's going to be the final in a few days. so this is the greatest show on earth, and it's leading to the greatest convention, cleveland, with the greatest sports franchises. had to put that in. >> so your prediction is donald trump -- >> trump, kasich and rubio. >> next is kasich. >> now let me say a word about the man we haven't mentioned, which is ted cruz. >> i work with people that work with ted cruz. he won iowa. now, why is that? i don't have an answer. why is that, the guy that won yaya, is not being talked about for two hours in the pre-game show. >> was he hurt by maybe people thinking that he did something underhanded when it comes to ben carson. i think his supporters will go
7:11 pm
through 8 feet of snow to vote for him tomorrow because they feel he's been dealt an inflatable hand. it's called an ooddle loop. anything going on, and the democrats are trying to manipulate. we do not see a reporting that hillary clinton's investigation is real. we do not see the fact that bik is seeing kboirsly. 80 among women. why is 85 percent ahead of income r of ted cruz tomorrow. they're not paternity, either. >> uhre not going to have a bad day. >> new hampshire is different from iowa. there is not a ton of, you know, evangelicals here as much as in
7:12 pm
iowa. i have to move on. thank you very much. i appreciate it. >> okay. i want to bring in now democratic strategist miss donna brazil and mr. michael smirkonish. thank you for joining us. you heard him talk about bernie sanders's lead. 65 to 51%, only 16% undecided. do you think that he see numbers will hold? >> i can tell you this much. bernie sanders is not just from a neighboring state, but he has really come. voters like an independent streak. they like someone who is authentic, will tell you like it is. the clintons are 1 for 2 in this state. they've loss.
7:13 pm
she hasn't been able to close the gap, but who knows. there is a gender gap she can close just on one seeked or the, there will be new people who will be voting he egt. new people can register on the day of and just bring some form of i.d. don't look like don, okay? but you can vote tomorrow here in new hampshire. >> what do you mean, don't look like me? like an old man, what? >> no, i just don't want an impersonator. voter fraud. i'm worried about that, aren't you? >> the clinton campaign has been saying what they think, michael, is that they're trying to keep it down in single digits. they don't think she's going to win. they think she'll close the gap, but what kind of defeet will this be for hillary clinton. >> if it's a direct hit, bernie
7:14 pm
sanders. i think it will be a very difficu difficult. in the short term, i see two things happening. the continuation of. and his ability to counter whakt she she's. . michael bloomberg is. that it entices him more so to get into that rate. . . they could have staged that a little more reverse in terms fd
7:15 pm
crowd can skroud every. >> i still believe this race is far from over after tomorrow. >> can you talk about politico is reporting they're nuft if one of nour. what's the real skinny on that. >>-on-estly, i'm. think about it, don. some of and the staff, have gt to. you read on line, at that joy f of. give them a chance to go out there and compete tomorrow. and we'll see what happens on
7:16 pm
wednesday. >> political consultant had something to say about this political report. this is what he treated. when the exact same problems crop up in separate campaigns with different staff, at what point does the principal say, hey, maybe it's us? do you think hillary clinton needs to take a look in the mirror? >> it wouldn't surprise me if this was something created by a political opponent, maybe an opponent within the democratic race, maybe a republican opponent because this is the sort of fodder that only means dr drudge. i can't figure out trump has a very strong lead. >> sure. >> we talked about iowa and
7:17 pm
we're like. this is the state with had. very reflective of the nation at large. i've long believed john kasich stand as a tra cast of a strong spup to look at any moment. >> it's en. i mean, jeff topz sovr some district to sla done. . drnld trump many. here's one thing i know, don. despite all the snow that's
7:18 pm
coming up and how the. >> bill got -- the longest service secretary of state a sti. now wire haj, china. >> you know what? zds china. that could have benefited. i i'm. >> i think this debate episode with markey rubio. i don't think it's go. there would be lingering yeg. . i heard someone say he respected
7:19 pm
ro r ro. i got to run. you'll be back. you know that. >> i'm coming back. >> and with convince in may, as donna rerd to. why are the young voters not supporting speck. we will bring you those results live at midnight eastern company. don't go away, real be right back. for a limited time, check out our half off smartphone event. get one of our most popular smartphones, and get the second one at half price. need more? buy another, and get the fourth phone at half price, too. smartphones like the samsung galaxy s6, note 5 and many more. hurry to t-mobile's half off smartphone event while it lasts and get the whole family a smartphone today.
7:20 pm
being hacked and intellectual property being stolen. that is cyber-crime and it affects each and every one of us. microsoft created the digital crimes unit to fight cyber-crime. we use the microsoft cloud to visualize information so we can track down the criminals. when it comes to the cloud, trust and security are paramount. we're building what we learn back into the cloud to make people and organizations safer.
7:21 pm
esurance was born online. they have smart online tools, which saves money. they settle claims quickly, which saves money. they drive an all-hybrid claims fleet, which saves money. they were born online and built to save money. that's auto and home insurance for the modern world. esurance. click or call. if you have moderate to severe ulcerative colitis or crohn's, and your symptoms have left you with the same view, it may be time for a different perspective. if other treatments haven't worked well enough, ask your doctor about entyvio, the only biologic developed and approved just for uc and crohn's. entyvio works by focusing right in the gi-tract to help control damaging inflammation and is clinically proven to begin helping many patients achieve both symptom relief as well as remission. infusion and serious allergic reactions can happen during or after treatment. entyvio may increase risk of infection, which can be serious. while not reported with entyvio, pml, a rare, serious brain infection caused by a virus
7:22 pm
may be possible. tell your doctor if you have an infection, experience frequent infections, or have flu-like symptoms, or sores. liver problems can occur with entyvio. if your uc or crohn's medication isn't working for you, ask your gastroenterologist about entyvio. entyvio. relief and remission within reach.
7:23 pm
look at that. i guess you could call that beautiful, right, outside? the snow is falling. it feels like christmas. kind of. i guess it's christmas, because everything is going to be wrapped up in a big bow by tomorrow when it comes to who is going to win the new hampshire primary. new hampshire voters getting ready to cast their ballots in the snow. donald trump leads his gop rival in the latest poll. here with me to discuss, columnist for the daily beast, public columnist, anna navaro who is supporting jeb bush, and columnist caylee mcilnany. the latest cnn poll shows new
7:24 pm
hampshire, donald trump leading the pack, 31%, followed by marco rubio. he's at 17%, ted cruz at 14%, john kasich at 10%, jeb bush at 7. are the pollsters going to get it right this time? >> oh nor, no, not even close. i do trihink trump is going to start out large. a trump rally started with someone talking about things that can't possibly be done, and with trump, he just goes to things that can't possibly be done. forget the how. >> so it's not going to happen. >> no. i think all we're really going to see from this election tomorrow is how deeply dissatisfied americans -- not just people in new hampshire -- but americans are with the status quo. they are so deeply dissatisfied that they're willing to go with a ca mrk comi nut and this douc
7:25 pm
with the hair. >> say how you really feel. i get in the car and the driver has been driving different political people around and he's got all kinds of signs and paraphernalia in the trunk of the car, she does. i get to the hotel and i see the signs. you see them on every street corner. i've been inundated with ads. how do voters cut through this noise? >> obviously they don't. we'll end up with trump and sanders as the noise from new hampshire. this is the country of loud noises. if loud noises solved problems, our problems would be solved. >> i want you guys to pay attention to this. take a look at this. this is a moment that happened tonight. it was at a trump rally. a voter shouted out a vulgar word for a woman's anatomy to ted cruz and trump repeated it for the audience. >> you heard the other night at the debate, they asked ted cruz
7:26 pm
a serious question, what do you think of waterboarding? is it okay? and honestly, i thought he would say absolutely, and he didn't. he said, well, he's concerned about the answer because some people -- she just said a terrible thing. you know what she said? shout it out because i don't want to say it. okay. you're not allowed to say -- and i never expect to hear that from you again. she said "i never expect to hear that from you again." she said, he's [ bleep ]. that's terrible. terrible. terrible. that's terrible. >> has anyone ever heard that word being used in a campaign before? were you there? >> here's my take. i was not there, but here's my take on this. i'm not a prude, but i think
7:27 pm
this is culture degradation. i think this is an example why donald trump is surging. i don't think you could get away with this even 10 years ago, and i think this is an example of, really -- i don't want to say the dumbing down but the lowering of our standards for what is presidential. this should not be acceptable. >> nobody else can get away with it, either. this was very unique to donald trump. he has been able to say, really, the most outrageous, amazing things one after the other, time after time, and we've seen his poll numbers go up. tomorrow he's going to come on tv and he'll tell us he was talking about a baby cat. >> you're probably right. >> there is a misunderstanding of what's happening right now in america. everyone is talking about donald trump's rhetoric, but that's not why he's resonating with one-third of the republican party. he's resonating because americans care about isis. they care that 63 members of
7:28 pm
isis were in america. >> he said that word. >> he didn't say that word. he repeated that word and said you should never say that. >> i was with my 15-year-old daughter, my intern/daughter. there were a lot of kids in the crowd. i just thought it was one of those wash your mouth out moments. i'm glad my mom wasn't in the audience or there would have -- >> you don't have a problem with that as a woman. >> i don't have a problem with that because -- anna, he just -- >> he said that the p.o.w.s were losers. >> no, he did not say that. >> i don't know how much kool-aid you have to drink in order to lose ability here. the man today was being sarcastic. of course words matter. >> he never said that about pows. >> i'm speaking about the very specific things he said to meghan kelly. i'm talking about the specific
7:29 pm
things he said today. if you want to drink enough kool-aid that you don't want to acknowledge what he said, that's perfectly fine. >> it's like a trump rally. >> if p.j. o'rourke is embarrassed -- >> i'm embarrassed. i was editor in chief of national lampoon. >> you're embarrassed by the audience member, not donald trump. >> he didn't have to say it. trump said it, then to go through the concedes of, it's not me saying this. >> he chastised the audience member and -- >> i didn't say meghan kelly was bleeding out of somewhere, i didn't say he was a loser. >> i think it's insulting to republicans who support donald trump. >> did he have to repeat that, kelly? >> no, he didn't. he said he chastised the word.
7:30 pm
>> he was delighted she said that, he was delighted he had a chance to repeat it. it may resonate with one-third of republicans, but there were two republicans. >> we were here talking about this on the panel. americans care about isis, they care about closing the border, they care about trade deals. that's why they love donald trump. we're with the same rhetoric or kpeet to go after sore. >> for the love of god, let's move on. >> maria? okay. all right. we'll let the audience decide. let's play that again. >> you heard the other night at the debate, they asked ted cruz a serious question, what do you think of waterboarding? is it okay? >> honestly, i thought he would say absolutely, but he was concerned about the answer because some people -- she just said a terrible thing. you know what she said?
7:31 pm
>> shout it out because she was -- >> you're not allowed to say, and i never expect to hear that from you again. that's terrible. terrible. >> we just celebrated ronald reagan's birthday. this is a guy who said tear down this wall. that's political rhetoric. could you imagine a world in which ronald reagan says that publicly? that is how far we've come in the wrong direction rhetorically in this country. >> but, you know, i'm not defending donald trump here, he can defend himself and caylee can defend him as well, but that's part of the culture now.
7:32 pm
>> i know. that's my point. the cultural degradation -- >> in social media, people say things they never would have said a couple years ago or they would never say to your face. >> you're supposed to have a different standard, frankly, for what qualifies as presidential behavior. i happen to think that donald trump gets judged differently than everybody else because people see him, you know, for the persona that we've known him as for the last 13 years in "the apprentice." he's been basically a manhattan billionaire jerk on tv for 13 years. people have liked him, people have gotten used to that persona. if anybody else were running for president -- if any of the other 44 said something similar to what he's been saying for the last nine months, they would be disqualified, tarred and feathered and run out of this race. stay with me, everyone. whose battle tactics will pay
7:33 pm
off here and elsewhere. don't go away, we'll discuss that. he decided to save money by switching his motorcycle insurance to geico. there's no shame in saving money. ride on, ride proud. geico motorcycle, great rates for great rides. i thione second it's there.day. then, woosh, it's gone. i swear i saw it swallow seven people. seven. i just wish one of those people could have been mrs. johnson. [dog bark] trust me, we're dealing with a higher intelligence here. ♪ the all-new audi q7 is here. ♪
7:34 pm
7:35 pm
start with a specialist. start with a team of experts who treat only cancer. every stage. every day. the evolution of cancer care is here. learn more at cancercenter.com/experts. appointments available now.
7:36 pm
7:37 pm
everybody is calmed down now, right? the gop race likely to take on a whole new look in the next 24 hours. who will thrive and who will dive here in new hampshire. back with me is pg new york and others. it is snowing, trust me. >> i have good news for you. >> what do you have for me? >> in florida we're going to do this in flip-flops. >> i'm hanging out with you. what's the consensus on the argument you guys just had? >> are we going back to the "for the love of god"? >> i'm at the age where not only don't i care what other people think, i don't even care what i think. >> i love that, i love that. so the dig against marco rubio is that he is too scripted. we saw that point in the debate, or at least four or five times in the debate where he said the same thing. let's listen to that.
7:38 pm
>> and let's dispel once and for all with this prediction that barack obama doesn't know what he's doing. let's dispel with this friction that barack obama doesn't know what he's doing. he knows exactly what he's doing. this thing that barack obama doesn't know what he's doing, he knows exactly what he's doing. anybody who doesn't think barack obama is doing what he's doing on purpose doesn't know. barack obama is deliberately carrying out a strategy to change america. barack obama is systemically carrying out an effort to change this country and that's why this election is so important, that barack obama is trying to redefine the role of government in our country and america's role in the world. >> i think barack obama is trying to change america. >> and then again tonight. watch this. >> we are taking our message to
7:39 pm
families that are struggling to raise their children in the 21st century. because as you saw, jeanette and i are raising our four children in 21st century, and we know how hard it is to instill values in our kids instead of the values rammed down our throats. in 2911st century, it's been harder to see the values that are thrown at us in church instead of movies and culture. >> there is a difference between proprogramming and that's the criticism, not only other candidates but voters here as well. >> absolutely. i think this was quite damaging. first just strategically, he's coming out of iowa. he's got momentum. the only thing between him and a strong second finish in new hampshire is that debate. but this is bad because it rein forces the stereotype of what chris christie and others have been saying about him. it's not just that he said sort of the same thing.
7:40 pm
he said, let's dispel of this notion -- it was exactly the same words. and the problem is, the best thing rubio has going for him is that he's an eloquent communicator, and now every time he gets on a roll, every time he starts to give a speech, you'll be like, is that a talking point? >> what's going on here, anna? >> it's really hard to explain because i've known marco my entire adult life. i've heard him speak hundreds, if not more, times. he is certainly one of the most eloquent, one of the most gifted, talented politicians on either side of this race. i was there that night of the debate, and i've said this before. i grew literally concerned for his health, because marco is so good, and i have seen him be so good all of his life -- >> do you think he was out of it? >> no. look, don, you get tired. you get overcaffeinated, and
7:41 pm
sometimes you just over-circuit. this is a long race, the hours are long. you want your candidate to stay on message, but you don't want him to sound like a robot. let's just dispel of the notion that marco rubio is a robot. let's just dispel of the notion that marco rubio is a robot. let's just dispel of the notion -- >> we'll be right back from new hampshire. don't go anywhere. if you have moderate to severe ulcerative colitis or crohn's, and your symptoms have left you with the same view,
7:42 pm
it may be time for a different perspective. if other treatments haven't worked well enough, ask your doctor about entyvio, the only biologic developed and approved just for uc and crohn's. entyvio works by focusing right in the gi-tract to help control damaging inflammation and is clinically proven to begin helping many patients achieve both symptom relief as well as remission. infusion and serious allergic reactions can happen during or after treatment. entyvio may increase risk of infection, which can be serious. while not reported with entyvio, pml, a rare, serious brain infection caused by a virus may be possible. tell your doctor if you have an infection, experience frequent infections, or have flu-like symptoms, or sores. liver problems can occur with entyvio. if your uc or crohn's medication isn't working for you, ask your gastroenterologist about entyvio. entyvio. relief and remission within reach. esurwhich means fewer costs, which saves money. their customer experience is virtually paperless, which saves paper, which saves money. they have smart online tools,
7:43 pm
so you only pay for what's right for you, which saves money. they settle claims quickly, which saves time, which saves money. they drive an all-hybrid claims fleet, which saves gas, which saves money. they were born online, and built to save money, which means when they save, you save. that's auto and home insurance for the modern world. esurance. backed by allstate. click or call.
7:44 pm
7:45 pm
gang's all here, pg o'rourke and kaley mcinerny. you wanted to weigh in? >> i've been on book tours where you say the same thing over and over again, and you get to a point where you think, did i say that to the last person i talked to, or did i just say that? i looked at rubio and thought, oh, my heart goes out to you. >> we are in the media with hyped-up debate moments, but this is a near blip in a very long narrative. marco is a very good candidate,
7:46 pm
but i think he has systemic problems. we saw nearly 70% of voters go for outsider candidates in iowa. there is a reason donald trump and ted cruz are on top. people are tired of scripted rhetoric. i think marco rubio's problems go past a debate. >> it's a blip in a long career, but it's a blip that happened three days before the primary. it's a blip that happened before the largest debate audience there has been this entire election, and it's a blip that rein forces what is already seen as an achilles' heel. >> why is everybody going after marco rubio? why are they holding on donald trump? >> the fire between them is intense right now, and i think everybody in that field feels the same way jeb bush does, and they don't want to bear the wrath of donald trump. >> i think in new hampshire
7:47 pm
everybody knows trump is going to win. he's that big, the state is more secular, more moderate, so they've sort of written off beating trump. what they have to do is finish ahead of rubio in that second or third spot in that so-called establishment lane. if you are chris christie or jeb bush or kasich, your real adversary is rubio right now. you've got to get ahead of him, otherwise he closes out the lane and owns it. >> thank you, everyone. >> that's sad. >> i appreciate it. we do have to go to a break, but i do have to say jeb seems stronger, and now that his mom has come out, he seems like a stronger candidate. >> listen, darling, i've seen you be a mama's boy. >> i'm a total mama's boy. tell me something i don't know. coming up, she could be the first female president in u.s. history but hillary clinton is struggling among young voters, and why her campaign may be losing those young voters to bernie sanders. jennifer graham is here to talk about that. you totalled your brand new car.
7:48 pm
nobody's hurt,but there will still be pain. it comes when your insurance company says they'll only pay three-quarters of what it takes to replace it. what are you supposed to do, drive three-quarters of a car? now if you had liberty mutual new car replacement, you'd get your whole car back.
7:49 pm
i guess they don't want you driving around on three wheels. smart. new car replacement is just one of the features that come standard with a base liberty mutual policy. learn more by calling switch to liberty mutual and you can save up to $509. call for a free quote today. see car insurance in a whole new light. liberty mutual insurance. for a free quote today. buying smartphones for the whole family is expensive. light. not at t-mobile® for a limited time, check out our half off smartphone event. get one of our most popular smartphones, and get the second one at half price. need more? buy another, and get the fourth phone at half price, too. smartphones like the samsung galaxy s6, note 5 and many more. hurry to t-mobile's half off smartphone event while it lasts and get the whole family a smartphone today.
7:50 pm
the access informationlows us to from anywhere. the microsoft cloud allows us to scale up. microsoft cloud changes our world dramatically. it wasn't too long ago it would take two weeks to sequence and analyze a genome. now, we can do a hundred per day. with the microsoft cloud we don't have to build server rooms. we have instant scale. the microsoft cloud is helping us to re-build and re-interpret our business. this cloud helps transform business. this is the microsoft cloud.
7:51 pm
hillary clinton could certainly make history as the country's first female president, yet many young women support her opponent.
7:52 pm
here to talk about that, i'm very honored to have her, is jennifer grant holme, a supporter of hillary clinton. why do you think so many young women are supporting bernie sanders? >> it's the question, right? for those of us supporting hillary, especially in my generation, people wonder what's going on there that it's not that important. i think young women will say it's all about policies, it's not about the symbol of having a woman as president. and hillary clinton would say, don't vote for me because i'm a woman, vote for me because i share your values, i've got policies, i've got experience. i happen to be a woman. the thing that kills us in my generation is we've worked so hard to be able to have the privilege of pulling the lever for a woman whose values we share and who has shared our experience and is the most experienced person to ever run to be a woman, and we've worked
7:53 pm
so hard for our daughters to be able to do that. >> but the positive in all of that is that you've worked hard and women have gotten to a place where they feel like, okay, i just want the best candidate. >> and this is what's so amazing about new hampshire. is because the young women in new hampshire have helped to elect a woman governor, two women senators. it is the number one state in terms of women representation. maybe because they've been so farah head of other states, and young women and old have helped contribute. maybe that barrier just isn't as important. >> governor, i think you need a little bit more passion. i want to play this and i want to have a real conversation with you. >> we were having a real conversation. >> but i really want to talk about this because this is important. i've been having this discussion with members of my family. these are remarks that people are upset with former secretary of state madeleine albright.
7:54 pm
>> a lot of you women think it's done. it's not done, and you have to help. hillary clinton will always be there for you, and just remember, there is a special place in hell for women who don't help each other. >> first thing, quickly. do you think she's saying you must vote for hillary clinton because she's a woman? >> no, she's saying to women you have to help one another in life, but this context, i know a lot of women took it as you will go to hell if you don't vote for her. that's not what she meant. >> these trying to guilt women -- it's an older woman trying to guilt younger women. it can be perceived as being condescending to young women. >> exactly. >> but young women have not experience the sex ism in ways that older women have. for my mother, who has a master's degree and a doctorate, could only be a secretary. part of that is how she was
7:55 pm
raised but it's women as well. yes, it's a glass ceiling, but it's a different experience. >> sexism is rampant no matter what your ages, and young women have experienced that. this whole rape culture -- there is a whole different set of sexism issues that younger women are experiencing. >> you know what i mean. >> in terms of volume because you've been on the earth longer, and you lived during a time where, you know, women just stayed at home and they weren't allowed -- you know, name the litany of things. as you get older, the older you are, the more you've experienced in terms of sexism. that is definitely true. but young women would say, don't say that i haven't experienced it, because from the moment you come out of the womb you experience it. it is part and parcel. >> but it's a different volume. >> volume, i think, is what it is. i think in the state it is a little different because of the number of women that have been
7:56 pm
elected. >> how do you think she'll do tomorrow, and quickly closing the gap because i have to get to the top of the hour. >> i know you have to go. i think she's got a lot of headwinds here, but she is here fighting for every vote and she wants new hampshire to know that and she wants young women to know that, that she's going to fight for their vote. she's got policies that they want to see happen. >> massachusetts is just down the road. >> i'm heading there in a few minutes. but, anyway, it's new hampshire. this is a very important state. >> i really appreciate having you on. we have much more to get to. the next hour of cnn as we count down to new hampshire, the primary here. we're live in manchester, new hampshire. stay with us. we'll be right back. seven. i just wish one of those people could have been mrs. johnson. [dog bark] trust me, we're dealing with a higher intelligence here. ♪
7:57 pm
the all-new audi q7 is here. ♪ if you have moderate to severe ulcerative colitis or crohn's, and your symptoms have left you with the same view, it may be time for a different perspective. if other treatments haven't worked well enough, ask your doctor about entyvio, the only biologic developed and approved just for uc and crohn's. entyvio works by focusing right in the gi-tract to help control damaging inflammation and is clinically proven to begin helping many patients achieve both symptom relief as well as remission. infusion and serious allergic reactions can happen during or after treatment. entyvio may increase risk of infection, which can be serious. while not reported with entyvio, pml, a rare, serious brain infection caused by a virus may be possible. tell your doctor if you have an infection, experience frequent infections, or have flu-like symptoms, or sores. liver problems can occur with entyvio.
7:58 pm
if your uc or crohn's medication isn't working for you, ask your gastroenterologist about entyvio. entyvio. relief and remission within reach. esurwhich means fewer costs, which saves money. their customer experience is virtually paperless, which saves paper, which saves money. they have smart online tools, so you only pay for what's right for you, which saves money. they settle claims quickly, which saves time, which saves money. they drive an all-hybrid claims fleet, which saves gas, which saves money. they were born online, and built to save money, which means when they save, you save. that's auto and home insurance for the modern world. esurance. backed by allstate. click or call.
7:59 pm
8:00 pm
the first polls will open for voting in one hour, 1:00 eastern, the new hampshire primary. we're happy to be here in the snow. look how beautiful it is outside. yet cold. residents of the tiny town of dixville notch, new hampshire, will cast their vote. the rest of the voters here in new hampshire can begin casting

99 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on