Skip to main content
Internet Archive's 25th Anniversary Logo

tv   Legal View With Ashleigh Banfield  CNN  March 17, 2016 9:00am-10:01am PDT

9:00 am
>> well, you know what? that's a good one. because if you're really sorry, then, you know, one of the things i've been harping on, because right now he's still in office. if you're sorry, you do the right thing and give us what we need to have. you know, this is going to cost us -- we know $1 billion. when you look at the people, the kids impacted by this, the, seniors impacted by this, the people with compromised immune systems. when you look at the human cost, in addition to the infrastructure cost. if you're sorry, do the right thing. give us what we deserve. we need money. we need to fix this problem. and while -- right now there is, you know, apologies are going on and finger-pointing is going on. and we can't wait to see everybody that's responsible, because i know it's going to be more than one person. and everybody that is found to be accountable for this -- yes, ma'am. >> we're just running overtime.
9:01 am
and we really appreciate you very much. thank you very much for coming on and reacting to what's going on on capitol hill. karen weaver, thanks so much. >> "legal view" with ashleigh banfield starts right now. hello, everyone. i'm ashleigh banfield and welcome to "legal view." we are two days past super tuesday number three, and missouri, gosh darn it, still too close to call. can you believe it? it's like florida or something. by the way, not just for one party, both parties. it is absolutely air-tight there. for the republicans, 52 debt gats up for grabs and donald trump and ted cruz, neck and neck. trump with 40% of the vote, cruise with 40%,.7. now let's look at the democrats. is it about the same? yeah, 71 at stake there. hillary clinton leading ever so slightly. 49.6% of the vote, bernie
9:02 am
sanders 49.4. squeaker. here's where we stand on the overall delegate count. by the way, missouri not part of this, of course. but the gop, donald trump, leads with 662. followed by senator ted cruz with 408. and governor john kasich, 143. never mind that marco rubio number. he's out. for the democrats, hillary clinton, well ahead of bernie sanders. she now has 1,588 delegates. bernie sanders, way back with just 817. i want to bring in cnn's senior political analyst, ron brownstein and cnn politics executive editor, mark preston. mark, when you look at the delegate count, and let's talk now about the republicans, if i can. donald trump talks about walking away with this, that ait's over. it's not necessarily over. you still have to make 1,237 delegates in order to clinch that nomination. what does donald trump have to do in terms of one absolute
9:03 am
number, a percentage of the remaining delegates to avoid a big problem on a convention floor? >> well, he needs to start winning and continuing to win and he needs to win by big margins. let's take a look at the numbers right now, ashleigh, to kind of set the stage of where we are and where we could be. right there, as you see, donald trump had 662 delegates right there. ted cruz has 408. if you look at mathematics, trump has more than a 50% chance of getting to the magic number of 1,237. okay, but if he goes into cleveland and he doesn't have the number, let's look at that situation right now too. what would happen then? 95% of the delegates would be bound, meaning they have to vote for whoever won the state and wherever those tell gats were apportioned to. so on the first ballast, you would see donald trump with his support and you would see ted cruz with his support. marco rubio, of course, out of the race at this point. and you would see john kasich with his support.
9:04 am
>> but to be clear, mark -- you're saying they are bound. so even if they hate the person who won the contest, where they come from, they would have to cast their vote on the floor for him. >> yes. in the first ballot. now about 5% of those wouldn't have to do that, depending on how close donald trump is to getting to the magical number of 1237, he potentially could get the 5% of whatever that amount of delegates are to come to his side, perhaps he could clinch -- we would move on. let's assume that doesn't happen, though. let's go to the second ballot and let's look at those numbers right there as well. 57% of the delegates now are unbound, meaning more than 50% could go as free agents and vote for whoever they would want to. so to your point, if there are delegates that don't like trump and they had to vote for him on the first run, the second run they don't have to vote for him. this is where the horse trading gets very, very furious and fast. let's assume that we don't get any kind of conclusion, nobody gets 1,237 on the second vote. let's go to the third one right
9:05 am
there. 81% is unbound. we are talking about total chaos, and mayhem at this point on the floor, as they try to figure out who is going to be their nominee. now, we talked about what's happening inside. i do think that it's important to note, and donald trump did say this yesterday in an interview on cnn "new day" there would be problems outside. you potentially would see violence and rioting. i think you are probably going to see that in cleveland. and let's not forget, anti trump protesters. >> and the last thing you said, if we can get to the situation. he can avoid that whole situation if he just gobbles up 57% of the remaining delegates and when missouri comes in, that will be a little bit lower. but around 57% of the remaining delegates, as this race goes forward. if he clinches them, he'll get that number and none of what mark preston just said will matter, although mark preston matters a lot. ron brownstein, let me switch over to the democrats, if i can be so bold. and i want to tell you two things. when it comes to super pacs, apparently the anti trump super pac has now decided that it needs to retool how it tells its
9:06 am
message. realizing that nothing has worked before. all the attacks haven't worked. and on the hillary side, hillary's super pac has decided that it's no longer going to bother wasting money, as they would consider it, on this primary race. but they did do this. they released a response to that ad that came out yesterday, that instagram ad that came out yesterday, courtesy of donald trump, that showed her barking and making fun of her. here is what the hillary super pac's response was. take a look. >> who are you consulting with consistently so that you're ready on day one? >> i'm speaking with myself, number one. because i have a very good brain, and i've said a lot of things. >> okay. so -- >> eight months, ashleigh. eight months of this. >> oh, god, please don't tell me this is just the beginning.
9:07 am
>> eight months. >> i just have one word, and i think that's touche. but i think that's myopic. i think this is going to go a lot deeper and uglier. >> sure. no, look. a trump-hillary clinton race would be especially in this modern media climate, just grueling and enner aggravating and exhausting and debilitating for both sides. it would be -- you have two candidates with very high negatives. trump is even higher. both of whom would see enormous opportunity to kind of target the other. and in some ways, the trump super pac -- anti trump super pac on the republican side, the ad particularly with women quoting donald trump's statements about women over the years -- you could literally imagine that being lifted into the general election and playing nonstop in northern virginia, jefferson and arapaho county outside denver. the i-4 corridor, anywhere there are a lot of suburban swing voters. you've got candidates with high negatives and i think we have two campaigns that have shown they can be pretty hard -- you know, sharp elbowed when they
9:08 am
need to be. so yes, it would be quite a spectacle. not necessarily -- not necessarily an uplifting one. but quite a spectacle. >> ron, he would be battling hillary, as you just laid out, but would also, as it turns out, battling a lot of gop senators at this point, as well. they're not too keen. you know what else? is not too keen on ted cruz either. they have just actually demanded that ted cruz apologize for a tacks last year. last year! going deep into the well of things that have bothered them about ted cruz. when ted cruz called mitch mcconnell a liar. >> right. >> this just sounds like cannibalism. >> you know, it's really striking. the way our politics evolve -- we talked about this before. there is a higher correlation than there used to be between the way people vote for president and senate. 26 states voted for obama both sides. 22 states voted against obama both times. republicans now have 90% of those senate seats. what that means is whether they like it or not, the republican senate candidates are going to be on the ballot with donald trump, and the democratic candidates are going to be on the ballot with hillary clinton. seven republican senate seats
9:09 am
are up this time in states that voted twice for president obama. those are places where donald trump with his high negatives among millennials, minorities and suburban women could face the most difficulty. if you're kelly ayotte or pat tum toomey or johnson, you are looking at being bound to trump whether you like it or not. that is a challenging situation for republicans. it's hard to imagine if trump is the nominee and does not do well that republicans will still hold the senate. >> ron brownstein, thank you. mark preston, thank you. extremely enlightening. do appreciate it. i'm going to switch were the politics of politics to the politics of justice. because the supreme court nominee that president obama put forth yesterday, it was all kum ba yah in the rose garden. and now the politics set in earnest. coming up next, one of the senators who has been weighing in on this, senator al franken from the great state of minnesota is going to join us to talk about the democratic fight, the message going forward to the republican senators who said, hey, not in an election year. that's next.
9:10 am
we have over 15,000 activities
9:11 am
that you can book on our app to make sure your little animal, enjoys her first trip to the kingdom. expedia, technology connecting you to what matters.
9:12 am
♪ the roles you play in life are part of what make you, you. and you're not going to let anything keep you sidelined. that's why you drink ensure with nutritious calories, 9 grams of protein and 26 vitamins and minerals. come on grandma! giving you the strength and energy to get back to doing... what you love. from the #1 doctr recommended bran. ensure. always stay you. that's why i run on quickbooks. details. i use the payments app to accept credit cards... ...and everything autosyncs. those sales prove my sustainable designs are better for the environment and my bottom line. that's how i own it. i'm gonna take mucinex sinus-max. enough pressure in here for ya? too late, we're about to take off. these dissolve fast. they're new liquid gels. and you're coming with me... you realize i have gold status? mucinex sinus-max liquid gels. dissolves fast to unleash max strength medicine.
9:13 am
let's end this. president obama's pick to fill the empty seat that's sitting vacant on the supreme court of the united states is due on capitol hill today.
9:14 am
it would ordinarily be described as a courtesy call, right? but today the courtesy will come almost exclusively from democrats. meetings with democrats. well, just about all republicans will greet judge merrick garland with tightly closed doors. they say that a president with less than a year in office should be leaving a lifetime appointment to the next president. over the years, both parties have argued both sides of that issue when it suited them. here's republican senator and judiciary committee member orrin hatch, speaking to my colleague, jake tapper. >> yes, the president has absolute right to recommend and to submit who he wants. but the senate has an absolute right to determine when that should be brought up, and i think almost all republicans agree that should be brought up after the election. >> my next guest also sits on the judiciary committee, but
9:15 am
he's very much in the pro nomination camp. pro confirmation catch and pro merrick garland, the judge who wants to be justice camp. senator al franken, democratic senator from minnesota, joins me live from capitol hill. good to have you on the show again, senator. thank you for doing this. thanks for having me. >> so here's my question. i am seeing all sorts of people taking to live mikes and announcing in press conferences today with their one-liners. and it reminds me as we take a short break and a breather from the presidential primaries, we have a sub contest going now. we have people going out and saying, republican senators on the judiciary committee, do your job. and then we have republican supporters saying, it ain't fair. not when everybody is so politicized. why is your side wrong? >> well, i think they are saying don't politicize this, while they're politicizing it. you know, they say let the people -- the voters decide. the voters did decide.
9:16 am
they elected president obama. the constitution says the president has a four-year term. of scientists tell us there are approximately ten months remaining in the term. he -- in the constitution. if there is a vacancy that comes open and it happened because a justice died, then -- his job, his duty, is to make an appointment. and our duty is to provide advice and consent. and vote on -- and we do that through hearings, which we've done for 100 years. and republicans have said, let the people decide. so we should wait until the next president. >> okay. >> because we have a presidential election. but now some of them are saying, well, if hillary wins, we will take up this guy, because he's a
9:17 am
consensus guy. we will take him up in the lame duck. so now they've changed -- let the people decide, to let the people decide, unless they elect hillary clinton. >> okay. >> and it's getting a little absurd around here. >> yeah, well, it's getting absurd everywhere, i'll be honest with you. we have had decades and decades of what's come to be known as sort of tradition in the senate. that a nomination and a confirmation shouldn't happen during an election year. i think joe biden in 1992 even talked about it. it is a bit apples and oranges. he was talking about if the nominee could meet with congress, if the president at the time could meet with congress, then maybe that could be assuaged. >> very different, ashleigh. >> very different, i acknowledge that. >> the timing, too. you have to -- put it in full context. >> okay. >> when he said this. he said this at the end of the last supreme court -- the supreme court session that year.
9:18 am
so that was in late june. and he wasn't talking about filling a vacancy caused by a death. he was talking about a justice gaming the system by resigning after the session ended. no one -- you know, no one games the system by dying. you don't do that. and this was -- >> do you think, though -- >> that was the full -- when justice scalia died, it was a full 11 months remaining. and also, you have to -- you are not quoting joe biden in totality. because he said -- >> i didn't quote him at all. i paraphrased the concept. >> you are paraphrasing him, not in his entirety. >> and so the republicans -- this is the argument. but my bigger question is, look, don't tell me that this isn't a political thing all of the time. the democrats filibustered like mad the nomination of sam alito, and politics can come back to
9:19 am
bite you in the you know what. is there regret on the side of the testimonies for having done that, because now it's come home to roost. >> no. well, samuel alito sits on the u.s. supreme court. anthony kennedy, who was confirmed in an election year in 1988 -- >> but not nominated in that year. >> no, he was confirmed in that year. >> correct, but not nominated in that year and something the republicans are quick to point out. >> may i speak? you really -- >> 100%. fully. >> okay, thank you. >> in context. >> okay. the -- they have said that no one has been confirmed in an election year. that's wrong. they -- once you start setting a precedent of a time limit, like 11 months, well then why not go to 18 months in this sets a dangerous precedent to undermine -- you're right. there has been too much politics
9:20 am
in this. this, though, is trumping all of that, by injecting politics by not doing any kind of meetings with the nominee, except now they are. so they're backing off of that. and that's why i think we are going to eventually, with judge garland, have confirmation hearings. because this guy is someone who i think the american people want to hear about and learn about. and from everything i have heard, including from my republican colleagues, including from senator hatch, is an exemplary judge. >> exemplary judge and good bipartisan record. and that's why you and i are having the conversations on the merits and qualifications. we're having the politics discussion because that's what's happening. >> and that's why what biden said, actually said, and you can paraphrase him, but what he said was, if we have -- if the
9:21 am
president consults with the senate, and if you come up with a bipartisan -- a consensus nominee, then, of course, we will do this. well, that's exactly what merrick garland is. so it's really important to look at what then senator, now vice president biden, actually did say then. >> all right. senator franken, thanks so much for being with us. appreciate it. >> thank you. all right. up next, legal residents -- legal u.s. residents, rushing to get legal u.s. citizenship. all so they can vote against donald trump. could they be a factor in this election? and by the way, who are they? next. oh, look... ...another anti-wrinkle cream in no hurry to make anything happen. neutrogena® rapid wrinkle repair works... ...in one week. with the... fastest retinol formula available.
9:22 am
it's clinically proven to work on fine lines and... ...even deep wrinkles. "one week? that definitely works!" rapid wrinkle repair. and for dark spots, rapid tone repair. neutrogena®. "see what's possible." 8 layers of wheat... mini-wheats®... and one that's sweet. to satisfy the adult and kid - in all of us. ♪ nutritious wheat for the adult you've grown into and delicious sweet for the kid you'll never outgrow... feed your inner kidult with frosted mini-wheats®. try new kellogg's mini-wheats harvest delights with sweet drizzle and bits made with real fruit. ♪ don't just eat. mangia! bertolli.
9:23 am
and we are the bug chicks. and i'm jess we are a nano-business. windows 10 really helps us get the word out about how awesome bugs are. kids learn to be brave and curious and all kids speak the language of bug. "hey cortana, find my katydid video". oh! this is so good. (laughs) if you're trying to teach a kid about a proboscis just sketch it on the screen. i don't have a touch screen on my mac, i'm jealous of that. (laughs) you put a big bug in a kids hands and change their world view. (laughs) theand the kids always eat sky their vegetables.e. because the salad there is always served with the original hidden valley ranch. ifor all the wrong reasons.gical you may be muddling through allergies. try zyrtec® for powerful allergy relief. and zyrtec® is different than claritin®. because it starts working faster on the first day you take it. try zyrtec®. muddle no more®.
9:24 am
its intelligent drive is msystems...ng. paradigm-shifting. its technology-filled cabin...jaw-dropping. its performance...breathtaking. its self-parking...and self-braking...show-stopping. the all-new glc. mercedes-benz resets the bar for the luxury suv. starting at $38,950.
9:25 am
9:26 am
. election year in and election year out. several million people in this country do not vote for the simple reason that they can't. they're not u.s. citizens. they're legal permanent residents of the united states who could become citizens but for whatever reason haven't gone through the process. there are many. but this year, many have actually found that reason. and this is kyung lah reporting on a growing group of citizens to be who cannot wait to cast their first-ever ballots because of the man on your screen, donald trump. >> number one with hispanics. >> reporter: visible and loud. the ubiquitous protesters at donald trump's rallies, many of them latino and holding and wearing their outrage.
9:27 am
more subdued but just as powerful, a native of colombia and legal resident for ten years, it's only now he feels the need to naturalize in time for november. do you have donald trump to thank for bringing you out here? >> translator: if i could become a citizen, i could vote against him. across the u.s. from florida to nevada to illinois to north carolina. latinos once content to carry green cards now seek citizenship. because when trump teed off his presidential candidacy with this -- >> they're bringing crime, they're rapists. >> reporter: and this. >> and who is going to pay for the wall? >> reporter: the government says naturalization applications jumped 14.5% compared to the same six months last year. >> if all of those with green cards become naturalize citizens, what happens politically? >> you want a cliche? it's a game-changer.
9:28 am
>> reporter: the numbers reveal that political power. swing state nevada has 73,000 latinos who are eligible to naturalize. arizona holding its primary next week, 146,000. florida, 637,000. nationally, the u.s. is home to 4.5 million latinos eligible to naturalize. >> the very same group that he has been attacking is the one that's going to stop him from getting to the white house. >> reporter: there is no love lost between univision anchor and trump. univision, a powerful media organization owned by a hillary clinton donor has joined with grass roots groups to get out the vote in november. the natural response, overwhelming. >> you feel it. you know that donald trump is your enemy. because he declared war. because he's the one that declared us enemies. >> reporter: that's the main motivator. why cuban-borniselle is getting her citizenship. when we bring up trump's name,
9:29 am
this reaction. >> i can't stand him. he's like a punch to the gut, she says. donald trump's unintended consequence, a pathway to their political power. the trump campaign says his proposed immigration reforms, the deportation of 11 million undocumented immigrants, the wall, all of this will end up benefitting legal latino immigrants. no one we spoke with believes that. kyung lah, cnn, miami. >> i'm joined now by lawyer, commentator and immigration expert, raoul reyes. thanks for being here. >> my pleasure. >> one of the things that stands out to me, the largest nationals group in america is mexicans. and yet they naturalize at a rate far lower than everyone else. why is that? >> well, there's a lot of factors that play into it. one of it is that in the last few years, the cost of doing so has gone up. it costs $576 to go through the citizenship process, which for a lot of people who are maybe first generation or their children, they don't have that money. and when you're looking at a
9:30 am
family, that can be several thousand dollars. the two big reasons we're seeing things differently this year. one is obviously the trump fenn. your reporter mentioned things are up 14% this year. that's on top of an 11% increase last year. and a second factor driving this increase in people seeking full naturalization and citizenship is now for the first time, you can do this, you can pay by credit card. and you can pay online. in the past -- in the past, you had to go to the immigration office. you had to have all of the money in advance. and this is really a phenomenon we're seeing with trump mobilizing latinos to vote. because for all of the discussions we've had and we've seen about the power of the latino vote, growing latino vote in both of the last two election cycles, the fact is, in the last elections, more latinos did not vote than actually turned out. so this is a real -- this is a real thing. and there are groups all over the country like me familia,
9:31 am
they are mobilizing and signing people up and getting them through the process. and one big difference between the work they do is the campaigns, once the primary is over, caucus is over, they're on to the next state. these groups are staying in places like nevada, florida, colorado, and continuing to sign people up, reminding them of the deadlines and getting them into the system to vote. >> those are critical states. paul reyes, thank you. it takes about five months or so on average. it took me a couple years. thank you. >> thank you. coming up next, huge news coming out of seaworld today about the future of its killer whale shows and the orcas living there. most of whom have never known any other home.
9:32 am
9:33 am
oh, look... ...another anti-wrinkle cream in no hurry to make anything happen. neutrogena® rapid wrinkle repair works... ...in one week. with the... fastest retinol formula available. it's clinically proven to work on fine lines and...
9:34 am
...even deep wrinkles. "one week? that definitely works!" rapid wrinkle repair. and for dark spots, rapid tone repair. neutrogena®. "see what's possible." chuck, i know i have a 798 fico score, thanks to experian.com. kaboom... get your credit swagger on. go to experian.com. become a member of experian credit tracker and take charge of your score.
9:35 am
then your eyes may see it, differently.ave allergies. only flonase is approved to relieve both your itchy, watery eyes and congestion. no other nasal allergy spray can say that. complete allergy relief or incomplete. let your eyes decide. flonase changes everything.
9:36 am
very big news today out of seaworld. the killer whales that live there now will be the last ones ever at the park. no more orcas coming to seaworld. remember, the park has been under the magnifying glass ever since the cnn documentary called "black fish" aired, particularly about the way the animals are treated there and how the killer whales have been involved in the deaths of three people. >> when you look into their eyes, you know somebody is home. >> they're an animal that possesses great spiritual power, not to be mettled with. >> don is the senior trainer here at shamu stadium. >> she captured what it means to be a seaworld trainer. it made me realize what happened to her really could have happened to anyone.
9:37 am
>> martin savidge is keeping an eye on this story for us. martin, it's not as though seaworld is shutting down the operations or the orca program. there are whales that are still going to be there for many years to come but it's effectively the breeding program which has stopped. which means this is the last generation. how big a deal is this for seaworld, and also for the people who are friends of the killer whales? >> it's huge. i mean, it's as big as, of course, the creature we are talking about here, which is gigantic. seaworld has essentially announced three things. number one, it is phasing out the orca breeding program. that is good. two, it is also saying that it's phasing out the theoretical shows that involves the orcas. in other words, they're going to put on shows more speaking about the environment and educating people about orcas. and lastly, this partnership between seaworld and the humane society, which itself is just an incredible achievement. because these are two organizations that were at
9:38 am
logger heads for so long. and now it's like the lion laying down with the lamb. it is all very, very good for orcas, ashleigh. >> i want to read this tweet that came out this morning from, in fact, the makers of the documentary "blackfish." the quote is, seaworld to end the breeding program, but still holds 29 orcas in captivity. followed by the word "progress." martin savidge, thank you for your reporting. i want to bring in wayne, president and ceo of the humane society of the united states. you're having a banner year. you have waged a campaign to try to change things at seaworld and fight ringling brothers and they have ended their elephant performances in their shows. i want to talk about seaworld for a moment. and the negotiation that it took between you and seaworld to get to this stage today. >> we had three months of private conversations. me and the new ceo of seaworld.
9:39 am
he came in about ten months ago, and a congressman, friends to both of us, pulled us together and said maybe you two want to talk. i think my friend -- congressman john campbell, retired house member from orange county, california, thought that seaworld needed to change. so i started with joel manby, the new ceo and i was skeptical and i think he was feeling awkward with me because we were adversaries, critics and i felt he needed to address the issue of orcas and stop the breeding. he recognized that that was really stepping on the larger work that seaworld was doing. that he had to clear that out. "blackfish" was a water shed and cnn's serial rebroadcast changed the optics on this issue in the country. it was a tough negotiation but here we are today with a series of elements and a plan that i think really is positive for the american people. it's going to be good for seaworld and certainly good for animals. >> one question for you.
9:40 am
seaworld often defended itself by saying look, the money we bring in from ticket sales is not just profit. we do a lot of good in the environment. we do a lot of good for the health and well-being and the viability of orcas in the wild, as well. those ticket sales, i think you can attest, will likely change if the orca program goes away. this is why people go to seaworld. they go to see the orcas jumping out and doing tricks and flips. is that a concern to you, that it's almost biting the hand that feeds you in a very odd way. >> you know, i think that the use of orcas is actually a drag on their ticket sales. after "blackfish" came out, sales declined by more than a million in terms of the gate receipts. people were really skeptical and critical of keeping these big, long-lived animals in relatively small pools, because these animals live with their families their whole lives. they swim for tens of miles every day. they did this in part because the public attitudes were shifting in our direction at the humane society of the united states. i think this is going to actually enable them to sell
9:41 am
more tickets. i mean, frankly, you know, you can entertain people by doing things other than with animals. >> the -- as i read through all of the details, i'm not sure if i missed one. this is clearly the united states. but there are plenty of marine parks all around the world that have questionable practices and -- much worse than things we witnessed in "blackfish." how much is seaworld going to be a domino effect all around the globe? how much of their operation is international that will also be affected and other parks thereafter? >> seaworld has half the orcas in the world. so that is a big step with no more breeding. and seaworld, i believe, is going to expand internationally and there will be no orcas at its new foreign-based park. so i think that's significant. i think it's kind of like with ringling and so many other industries we have been talking to, working with, pressuring. they've got to do better when it comes to animals. >> doesn't it push people, though, that want to operate these parks anyway? if they can't get them through a breeding program, they're going
9:42 am
to go out into the wild and steal them from the family pods. you don't think that will happen? >> it will never be acceptable. >> it happens with dolphins. >> we're fighting it with dolphins. the thai gee slaughter after japan, this is the beginning of the discussion, not the end of it. and for us, this is a big moment. so many issues are changing. i think a food policy -- in the last six months, 75 of the biggest food retailers, mcdonald's, cracker barrel, kroger, they said we're going to source our animal products from more humane farms. the notion that businesses need to abide by animal welfare is growing and surging. >> i appreciate you taking the time to come in. i thought it was a big surprise you scrambled to get here and lo and behold, you've been in these secret meetings for a long time and a negotiation you knew was coming to fruition today. >> thank you. coming up next, have you ever heard of schizotypo personality disorder?
9:43 am
chances are you're going to hear more about it coming up after the court martial of army sergeant bowe bergdahl, after his defense in that court martial released information in this case that elose dates what his mental thinking was at the time he walked off his base in afghanistan. and ultimately ended up a p.o.w. for five years. >> when you watch charlotte brown, it's hard to believe she can't see. >> she does life so seamlessly that often people don't know she's blind. >> the purdue university freshman developed cataracts in both eyes at 16 weeks old and is had surgery to remove them. >> i could see colors and shapes and people. but i always read large print and i could never see really well. >> in sixth grade, charlotte's vision got worse. and she was declared legally
9:44 am
blind. >> we just kind of hiccupped right over it. my parents, they never said, can you do that. it was just how are you going to do that. >> a question they asked when she wanted to pole vault in seventh grade. >> no one on my team was doing it and it seemed dangerous. and i was like, i want to do something dangerous. >> charlotte and her coaches came up with a strategy. she places a beeper above the box where she plants her pole. and then counts the steps on her approach. >> i have very assistance sensitive hearing. so i really don't hear anything except for the beeper. >> in her senior year, charlotte won bronze at the texas state high school championships. >> i had a lot of kids come up to me, just think you're the world. that's really cool, just to know what you're doing is going to have an impact on them. >> now in college, the 18-year-old says the sky is the limit. >> i'm scared of a lot of things. i just choose to do it anyway. you just have to stare fear in the face and smile, even if you can't see it. >> dr. sanjay gupta, cnn reporting.
9:45 am
let's celebrate these moments... this woman... this cancer patient... christine... living her life... loving her family. moments made possible in part by the breakthrough science of advanced genomic testing. after christine exhausted the standard treatment options for her disease, doctors working with the center for advanced individual medicine at cancer treatment centers of america suggested advanced genomic testing. the test results revealed a finding that led to the use of a targeted therapy that was not considered for christine before. now, they're helping fight her cancer on another, deeper level... the genetic level. this is precision cancer treatment, an approach to care that may help patients like christine enjoy the things that matter most in their lives while undergoing treatment. the evolution of cancer care is here. that's definitely something worth celebrating. learn more about precision cancer treatment
9:46 am
at cancercenter.com. appointments are available now. i'm gonna take mucinex sinus-max. enough pressure in here for ya? too late, we're about to take off. these dissolve fast. they're new liquid gels. and you're coming with me... you realize i have gold status? mucinex sinus-max liquid gels. dissolves fast to unleash max strength medicine. let's end this.
9:47 am
this is the all-new 20wow, it's nice.. let's check it out. do any of you have kids? i do yes. this car has a feature built in called teen driver technology, which lets parent's see how their teens are driving. oh, that's smart. it even mutes the radio until the seat belt is fastened. will it keep track of how many boys get it in the car? (laughter) cause that could be useful. this is ahead of what my audi has for sure. wish my beamer had that. i didn't even know that technology existed. i'm not in the market for a car but now i may be.
9:48 am
9:49 am
bowe bergdahl, the american soldier who endured nearly five years of taliban captivity has a diagnosed personality disorder and ptsd, as well. that is according to his defense team which just released a pile of legal documents saying they want the public to know more about the whole truth. by the way, the reason bergdahl has a defense team is because he's facing court martial for desertion which is why the taliban had him in the first place. joe jackson, want to bring you in on this defense tactic. but also, the bigger notion that they're saying this illness actually existed before he walked off the base. it didn't happen because he was a p.o.w. for five years. it's not an after the fact thing. it's a very much before the fact thing. >> that's big. >> that's huge for his defense. >> it absolutely is. any defense, obviously, you have to point to it being relevant. and obviously, it would be relevant if he had this disorder, this psychic episode, or what would be known as
9:50 am
something that would make him somewhat paranoid. now, moving further than that, obviously, this goes to negate and intent. what was he intending to do? of course, if you speak to his defense team, his intent was to talk about the things that were going on in his command that put his fellow soldiers in danger. i think they'll paint him as a very patriotic and sympathetic figure who wanted nothing but the best for the people he worked with. >> patriotic. >> sure. you add that to this illness that they're alleging he has. it makes him more sympathetic. >> patriotic, sympathic, okay. i want you to listen to donald trump on the campaign trail, said this kind of thing over and over and over about bergdahl. >> very harsh. >> we're tired of sergeant bergdahl, who is a traitor -- he's a traitor. a no-good traitor. who should have been executed. >> okay. executed. i'm not sure that that's something that's really honestly on the table right now.
9:51 am
that stuff has mattered. that may be political, but now their lawyers are almost sending him a cease and desist letter. >> absolutely. think about the context of this. the investigator who investigated this, if you look at major general dahl, investigating it. 57 witnesses, including bergdahl himself over the course of 59 days. and what was his recommendation? that it not be a felony, that he be charged awol and related minor offenses. they went to a hearing. and the lieutenant following that hearing had the same recommendation. it was only general abrams after the fact who said no. we're going to put this in a general court martial and you're going to face life in prison. so i think there is a significant political element to this too. season, that's what you're l seeing with donald trump. >> let's just be clear. i don't think anyone within the service is calling -- legally calling for his execution. >> no. that.ey jackson, thank you for >> thank you. coming up next, to a tourism boom brought by cuba's warming relations with the united states actually have a bad effect? could it threaten the tropical
9:52 am
marine life? we're going to dive head-first into this potential underseas dilemma in the "wonder list," next. look like? is it becoming a better professor by being a more adventurous student? is it one day giving your daughter the opportunity she deserves? is it finally witnessing all the artistic wonders of the natural world? whatever your definition of success is, helping you pursue it, is ours. t-i-a-a. i love to take pictures that engage people. and to connect us with the wonderment of nature. the detail on this surface book is amazing. with the tiger image, the saliva coming off and you got this turning. that's why i need this kind of resolution and computing power. being able to use a pen like this. on the screen directly with the image. it just gives me a different relationship to it. and i can't do that on my mac.
9:53 am
this is brilliant for me. ♪ 8 layers of wheat... mini-wheats®... and one that's sweet. to satisfy the adult and kid - in all of us. ♪ nutritious wheat for the adult you've grown into and delicious sweet for the kid you'll never outgrow... feed your inner kidult with frosted mini-wheats®. try new kellogg's mini-wheats harvest delights with sweet drizzle and bits made with real fruit. see me. see me. don't stare at me. see me. see me. see me to know that psoriasis is just something that i have. i'm not contagious. see me to know that... ...i won't stop until i find what works. discover cosentyx, a different kind of medicine for moderate to severe plaque psoriasis. proven to help the majority of people
9:54 am
find clear or almost clear skin. 8 out of 10 people saw 75% skin clearance at 3 months. while the majority saw 90% clearance. do not use if you are allergic to cosentyx. before starting, you should be tested for tuberculosis. an increased risk of infections and lowered ability to fight them may occur... ...tell your doctor if you have an infection or symptoms... ...such as fever, sweats, chills, muscle aches or cough. or if you have received a vaccine or plan to. if you have inflammatory bowel disease, tell your doctor if symptoms develop or worsen. serious allergic reactions may occur. see me. see me. see me. on my way. find clear skin... and a clearer path forward. for a different kind of medicine, ask your dermatologist about cosentyx.
9:55 am
9:56 am
cuba is preparing for a tourism boom as the united states opens up diplomatic relations there. but it could come a cost. to cuba's nearly untouched pristine marine life. in the premier episode of "the wonder list" on sunday, bill weir is going to explore the issues truly under the surface of cuba. >> fish know no politics, right? >> exactly. they don't have borders. >> no borders. >> beyond fish. it's migrantory birds, even manatees. >> exactly. >> sharks. >> larvae that are passive
9:57 am
migra migrators. >> exactly. >> jesse and eric are cuban marine biologists. fernando is devoted to using science to trump ideology. he used castro's love of marine life to open a dialogue years before the politicians so he credits manatee diplomacy with the change in cold war tone. >> i think we have a lot to do with that. our science diplomacy, breaking down barriers. from my perspective, i'm a florida resident. so my work here in cuba is selfish. >> you're downstream. >> i'm downstream. so whatever happens -- if cuban reefs aren't well protected, if it we lose this crown jewel, florida suffers, mexico suffers, new jersey suffers. >> florida is just 90 miles away, but reefs this healthy are impossible to find there any more. >> what a difference a few decades can make. that was the bay of pigs.
9:58 am
>> exactly. isn't that incredible? as a cold war kid, it's still mind-blowing to think we can surf vietnam and go on shopping sprees in moscow and dive in the bay of pigs and stay in these fishing villages. it is like a time warp. >> i was on the beach of gaza, but i don't recommend that for tourists. >> who knows, hopefully in 50 years. >> i have envisioned loads of 1950s style chevys all over the road in cuba that are exactly the same. >> right. >> you know, missing a lot of parts, et cetera. but they have had a robust tourism industry from other countries. so i would imagine that it's actually clicking along pretty well there. >> it's in pockets. really in pockets. but the thing -- i went down there with all these preconceived notions. i was picturing "godfather ii" and 10 million pent up small democrats and capitalists waiting for castros to die. i had my mind blown, because first of all, the place is so broken. it is -- havana is one of the
9:59 am
loveliest ruins in the world. guys mixing drinks, up pulls an antique water truck and they bring in a hose and fill up -- why are they trucking water into the tropic? because the pipes are so leaky if they turn the water on full pressure, it creates massive puddles and there is mosquitoes. that is one thing. but the attitude of the cubans, i didn't expect to see this. they're critical of their government a little bit. but fiercely proud of the ideals of the revolution, and sort of have an aversion to the american dream. as they perceive it. >> well, maybe they won't feel that way when they see those american dreamy people coming down and loading a lot of money into their potential infrastructure. >> and that's going to happen, yeah. >> bill, you're you have the greatest job ever. can you take me with you? >> come along! absolutely. you've got to carry a tripod, but come along. >> no worries. i've done that for years. be sure to check out bill's awesome program, "the wonder list," with bill weir on sunday,
10:00 am
10:00 p.m. eastern time, right here on cnn. thanks, bill. appreciate it. thank you, everyone, for watching. wolf starts right now. ♪ hello, i'm wolf blitzer. 1:00 p.m. here in washington. 7:00 p.m. in aleppo, syria. 1:30 a.m., friday, in pyongyang, north korea. wherever you're watching from around the world, thanks very much for joining us. we begin this hour with political drama unfolding in the race for the white house. can donald trump win enough delegates to lock up the republican presidential nomination or will the so-called establishment find a way to stop him? on top of that, anti trump conservative activists have been meeting behind closed doors in washington today. among other things, discussing whether to launch a third-party campaign against trump in if he does become the republican nominee. the race now is allbo

31 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on