Skip to main content

tv   New Day With Alisyn Camerota and John Berman  CNN  February 5, 2021 5:00am-6:00am PST

5:00 am
conspiracies, she supported executing democrats, and she harassed school shooting survivors. david hogg, one of them, will join us shortly. finally on thursday, greene admitted that qanon conspiracies are lies, but she made the argument that somehow her mind was controlled and she was, quote, allowed to believe things that weren't true. >> allowed to believe things that weren't true. >> i guess by the almighty q? >> what even is that? meanwhile, major maneuvering before the president's impeachment trial, the former president's impeachment trial. house managers asked the former president to testify. he refused. so just days before that trial begins there is still so much we don't know. we begin with breaking news. vice president kamala harris cast a tie-breaking vote that clears the way for democrats to pass the president's $1.9 trillion covid relief bill and do it if they need to without any republican votes. cnn's lauren fox live on capitol hill. this is a big step, and it was
5:01 am
really interesting to see the vice president cast that vote before dawn. >> well, certainly she leaves the u.s. senate and she has to be back in that chair to break the tie. this isn't the first time you'll see her breaking ties in an effort to try and pass the president's covid relief package. look, this was a major moment on the senate floor, and they started this entire process yesterday at 2:30 in the afternoon. then they had 15 hours of what is known up here as a voterama. it's a lot tougher because members are voting every 10 or 15 minutes on different amendments that folks are bringing to the floor. it's really an effort by the minority party to try to put the majority in tough spots by having to take very hard votes they can then later use on the campaign trail. and that works both ways. both parties using this process to their advantage. but here's why it all matters. this unlocks joe biden's ability to pass a covid relief bill with just democratic votes.
5:02 am
what you'll see in the next couple of weeks is committees going behind the scenes, writing that package into legislative text and then potentially doing this whole process again to finally pass a covid relief proposal. their deadline is march 14th. that's the expectation. the hope, that is when you'll see some of those unemployment benefits run out. but this last night, an important step. they passed it at 4:30 a.m. it unlocks their ability to pass a covid relief bill if they have to, with just democratic votes. >> they needed it done before the impeachment trial begins in just days. lauren fox, thank you. democratic congresswoman val demings was one of the impeachment managers in the former president's first trial. thank you for being with us. it was interesting to see the current house managers ask the former president to testify. and i wonder if you were a manager this time and you did have the former president on the stand, what would you ask him?
5:03 am
>> well, john, it's great to be back with you. i can't help but think about during the hearings and trials and all. remember when now former president trump would say, oh, i wish they would subpoena me. i wish i had an opportunity to testify. i, you know, i would love to testify and interestingly enough, that never happened. not only did he not -- the information, if you remember, the written answers that he provided were not truthful and then he blocked so many other people who did have pertinent information about his case from testifying or appearing. but you know, you start at the beginning. tell us what happened. the why. he is trying to demonstrate that his words had nothing to do with the violent attack on the u.s. capitol on that day, and we would love to hear his explanation of why he believes that. we know that that's never going
5:04 am
to happen, though. he will never come and testify. and if i was his attorney, i would never probably allow him to do it but we'll see what happens. >> is it worth a subpoena to get him there? >> you know, that's a procedural strategy that the impeachment managers would have to decide. we'll wait and see. you certainly -- when we subpoena witnesses, it's always, what do they bring to the table? so, you know, that's a procedural step that the managers would have to decide, and we'll see what their strategy is. what i do know, john, is that under the leadership of my classmate jamie raskin, i know this team of managers are going to do an outstanding job and present the facts. they don't have any problems with the facts. there are no alternative facts for them. and they'll present a clear and convincing case. and they'll do their part.
5:05 am
>> how important or how crucial or essential would the former president's testimony be in making their case? >> you know, the interesting thing about this particular article of impeachment, you know evidence, and i've said it before. evidence in a case is everything, right? it's a police detective's dream, it's a prosecutor's dream. john, there is so much footage of what happened on that day. we see the images. we also clearly hear the president's words and those who -- his enablers who stood with him and basically incited a riot. marched down to the capitol, just one example, and fight like hell, if you don't, we're not going to have a country anymore. his own words, we don't have to look far for evidence in this case, but the footage with the evidence, his own testimony as
5:06 am
millions of americans have already seen, i think, is pretty crucial, and we'll see if the managers decide that they need more. but we know this president, i would expect him to come in and say, don't believe your lying eyes or your lying ears. but we'll see what happened. >> do you know yet if there will be witnesses? >> i do not know. >> it's interesting. three days before -- >> i talked to -- i've talked to some of the managers, but it's always our conversations have just been about sharing information from the previous impeachment trial that they thought would benefit them during this time. i have not discussed with them their strategy or their intentions to call any witnesses. >> i want to move on to another subject, but if you were doing it, would you want a witness on the stand at this point? >> you know, what i said during the last impeachment trial, i think we all agreed when john bolton, the information came up about him actually being in the
5:07 am
room if you will, to overhear the phone -- the infamous phone call, and we had that opportunity. the senate had the opportunity to call on witnesses and chose not to do that. and so john bolton was someone who was in the room. certainly had direct information. i don't believe he has alternative facts. i think calling him in a case would be quite different from calling a president or the former president who every day had alternative facts. >> there was a vote last night in the full house of representatives to strip congresswoman marjorie taylor greene of her committee posts. 11 republican members voted to do so. some of them were from your state of florida. at least three members from the state of florida who did vote to strip her of her committee
5:08 am
posts. what do you think of that? >> you know, john, school shootings are tough. all shootings where people die violently, but when children are in one of the -- what should be one of the safest places for them are gunned down, that's pretty tough. and i know, unfortunately, there are a lot of political games that take place on the hill. that's probably been one of my biggest disappointments as opposed to putting the people first. i could not have been prouder of my florida colleagues for standing up for the people that they represent and the survivors of the kids who were gunned down on their school campus. and so it was the right thing to do. and believe me, in this political environment, it was great to see. >> now there's been a lot of talk about kevin mccarthy and a lot of talk about the other 190
5:09 am
republican members who did not vote to strip her of her committees. but i want to ask about another group of people that i think often gets overlooked in this. marjorie taylor greene was elected by a lot in a georgia congressional district. so how much responsibility do you put on the voters for sending her to congress? >> i think our responsibility, john, is to make sure that voters have all of the information that they need to make the best decisions when they go to the polls. i chose, though, to focus on leadership. >> but i guess i'm asking, these voters knew -- >> sometimes people are hired and they, you know, later it comes to light that they were not the best person to be hired. sometimes people are elected, and it comes to light that they are not the best person to be elected and uphold the high values and principles of the house of representatives.
5:10 am
leadership has an awesome, tremendous obligation to right this wrong and stand up. and unfortunately, we have seen, as opposed to leaders in position, we have seen cowards in those positions or shadows of men. let's not forget, too, 140 people voted to overturn a free and fair election. and carried the big lie that joe biden was not elected president of the united states. and so we do have some work to do, and i think leadership had an opportunity to stand up, correct the wrong. they chose not to do that. and they should be held accountable. >> i think it is something that needs to be addressed. what does it say that people who knew what they were getting into. a lot of this was known. they still chose to elect her. there's a demand issue in the united states that needs to be addressed. i am curious how that will happen. >> i have not met, i don't believe, any of the
5:11 am
congresswoman's constituents or voters, but being here in the house of representatives and presiding ofe ing over the deba yesterday when she gave her former speech, as a former police officer, i've seen far too many people die of gun violence, some of them police officers, who were shot in the head and died. so i don't take very kindly to liking posts about shooting people in the brains. on 9/11, i was assigned to the orlando international airport as a police commander. so i am just so happy that ms. greene thought it was appropriate to stand at the microphone and say, yes, 9/11 did happen. but, you know what? a plane also hit the pentagon and people were killed and lost their lives. and so, john, there's a critical time and we are dealing with critical issues. and people who believe in outlandish conspiracy theories
5:12 am
spread hate, hold assault weapons, basically with pictures of their now colleagues, i don't take too kindly to that, and i do believe that kevin mccarthy, if he wants to be the leader, then doggone it, show some leadership. and the 199, i really -- history will judge them. >> remarkable time. congresswoman val demings, we appreciate you coming on and sharing your thoughts with us. >> thank you. joining us now to talk more about this is cnn white house correspondent john harwood. john, really interesting to hear congresswoman demings there. let's start with marjorie taylor greene because as she was just saying, 11 republicans voted to remove her from her committee assignments. but 61 voted to remove liz cheney from leadership. they didn't win. but there was a much bigger number. and so where do we go from here?
5:13 am
>> well, the republican party to a significant degree, both at the grassroots and in congress has been radicalized. it's been radicalized around anger at the way the united states is changing. the core of the republican base right now are blue collar white voters. many of whom are upset that the country is becoming less white, less christian, that the economy is changing in ways that don't benefit them because many of them are lesser educated. and so the anger that flows out of that is the anger that bubbles up in movements like qanon, that she has adhered to. there were significant number of qanon people at the core of that insurrection on january 6th. and what we've seen over the last several weeks is that the vast majority of republican senators have voted to absolve the president of responsibility for that by saying the
5:14 am
impeachment trial is unconstitutional. that will happen next week. the vast majority of republican house members have voted to absolve the president of consequences for that anti-democratic deadly insurrection. they oppose the impeachment. and the share of republicans willing to stand up against that un-american behavior is very marginalized. it's a -- it shows something about how degraded the republican party has become and it creates a contrast with the democratic party as exemplified by val demings, who you just heard from, and democrats were the ones who took responsibility for imposing consequences on marjorie taylor greene. republicans lacked the strength to do that. >> john harwood, thank you so much. congresswoman marjorie taylor greene did not apologize, but she did invoke the name of a survivor of the parkland shooting massacre, david hogg. he joins us live, next.
5:15 am
♪upbeat music♪ transitions™ light under control. ♪upbeat music♪ transitions™ signature gen 8™ available now, in 4 vibrant style colors. transitions™
5:16 am
5:17 am
5:18 am
just hours before congresswoman marjorie taylor greene was punished by the house, stripping her of her committee assignments she, addressed the conspiracy theories and her theory that mass shootings at schools had been staged. >> school shootings are absolutely real. and every child that is lost, those families mourn it.
5:19 am
i understand how terrible it is because when i was 16 years old in 11th grade, my school was a gun-free school zone and one of my schoolmates brought guns to school and took our entire school hostage. and that happened right down the hall from my classroom. i know the fear that david hogg had that day. >> joining us now is parkland massacre survivor david hogg. also the founder of march for our lives. great to see you. >> great to be on. thank you, alisyn. >> what did you think when you heard her say your name and say that she can somehow relate to your experience? >> the ultimate thing is, i don't really care. the thing i care most about in this situation isn't so much myself but it's the real people that she offended, which are the families of parkland and las vegas and sandy hook that have a permanently empty bedroom, permanently empty place at the dinner table. they are the people that are the real victims here that deserve the apology.
5:20 am
not me. and that's really what upsets me. she's detracting from their suffering and their experience because she can't know their pain. they literally had the worst possible thing in the world happen to them. they are the ones that deserve an apology. on top of that, there's also, alisyn, we need to talk about the fact that although it's important that we address the gun violence in schools, most gun violence happens outside of schools, too, and it doesn't get the same attention because it happens predominantly in black and brown communities that face racism and poverty and injustice by this country and they are the ones that need this attention. >> david, you've always talked about that. you bring that up and i know that there are so many families and lawmakers who appreciate that you always bring that up. in fact, so -- i applaud you that you always remind us that you're not the only victim. you also said on twitter yesterday, marge, you're not the victim here. is that how she's trying to paint herself? >> i think so.
5:21 am
i think they are trying to paint themselves as the victim to play like they are the little guy. so they can raise millions of dollars as they have talked about or thousands of dollars as they've talked about wanting to raise. and it's just pathetic because they are not the victim here. as i said, the victims are the families of children that have died in sandy hook and parkland and, you know, the people that died -- as well, adults that died in those places. and at las vegas, of course. they are the ones that need to be talked about. and that's why we're continuing to call for her resignation and asking people to text resign to 954954. they can text resign to 954954 to sign our petition calling for her resignation because we believe just stripping her of her committee assignments, after she has threatened to kill the speaker of the house, mind you, that's a felony with a five to ten-year prison sentence. i don't know what's going on there, but you can't threaten an elected official. it is a felony. >> the last time we had you on,
5:22 am
we played that video of her harassing you out on the sidewalk outside of the capitol. i wasn't aware at that time there was another video inside the capitol of her chasing after you and harassing you that we'll play right now where she is following after you. she's claiming that people will still do mass shootings. she's, obviously, you know, trying to trigger you. she says to you specifically, you were born in this country with all these freedoms. you don't even appreciate what you have. david hogg, you don't even know what you have. do you feel -- did you feel after you heard her explanation yesterday that marjorie taylor greene has learned her lesson? >> no. i think a lot of the time, sadly, in politics and life generally, there's a lot of really immature adults that are in power that cannot simply have the humility to admit they were wrong before they face consequences. i think if marjorie was truly apologetic, it wouldn't have taken us literally removing her
5:23 am
from her committees to talk about, well, maybe i shouldn't have said school shootings were fake. maybe she shouldn't have said that all these conspiracies about 9/11 being fake and stuff like that. i want to see elected officials that actually take accountability and responsibility for what they've said before they face consequences for it because that's what true leaders do, have the humility to admit they make mistakes and they're not perfect. but the other thing that i would say with that, too, alisyn, what's interesting to me is that when we were in there, in the capitol and she started chasing us, we started chanting enough is enough. you know how long if took the police to show up to tell us to basically shut up or we're going to be arrested. took about 30 seconds. and i don't know if it shows it in that video, but they did that. that's why i knew during the insurrection when there were -- the capitol was surrounded by white supremacists and many people that don't believe that the election was, you know, fair
5:24 am
and all those different things. it took them like an hour to two hours to show up and that's why i knew that that was different. >> and what does that mean? what does that tell you about that, the response time? >> it's terrifying. it shows that, as has been said by people much smarter than me many times before, there are two systems of justice in this country. and one that has, you know -- one of them that basically doesn't have very much, if any, accountability a lot of the time or white supremacists and white nationalists. it's something that needs to be confronted head on. not only is it a threat to everyday americans and our freedoms that marjorie says that i hate so much or whatever. it's a threat to our democracy as well. and we all have a responsibility no matter the color of our skin to stand up and fight against racism because racism, you know, it's something that all of us need to stand up and fight against because it should be a unified front even if we're not directly affected.
5:25 am
and we should simply ask people, how can we help? >> are you starting a pillow company? >> yes, alisyn, i am, but i'm going to ask you to have me on in a couple of weeks. we don't have the website or trademark. we're still working on manufacturing because we're going to make it union made in the usa and it is very hard to find unionized pillow manufacturer in the united states so if anybody knows one, please follow me on twitter and reach out and we'll make it sustainable and everything and part of it is to help raise money for good causes. it's a for profit, but a big part is to have a social enterprise component to it. so, yeah, please bring me on and we'll talk about it. >> it's also to put my pillow, mike lindell, out of business. david hogg, thank you very much. we really appreciate you being on. >> thank you so much, alisyn. what's on former president trump's mind these days? the cameo that he did on the fresh prince of bel air 25 years
5:26 am
ago. yes, we're not kidding. that's next.
5:27 am
5:28 am
5:29 am
excuse me, where's the
quote
5:30 am
lobby. >> down the hall and to the left. >> donald trump. >> i like keeping a low profile. >> you're the best son money can buy. >> thanks, dad. >> without zoolander, male modeling wouldn't be what it is today. >> that's the former union member and former president who was now telling hollywood's largest labor union, you can't dump me because i'm dumping you first. here's what he wrote to the screen actor's guild american federation of television and radio actors. i write you today regarding the so-called disciplinary committee hearing meeting aimed at revoking my union membership. who cares! well, i'm not familiar with your work. i'm very proud of my work on movies such at "home alone 2," zoolandern and wall street, money never sleeps and the fresh prince of bel air, saturday night live and "the apprentice" to name just a few! joining us now is the president of the union, gabrielle
5:31 am
carteras. thank you for being with us, madam president. he went on and on in that letter at great length quitting the union to which you responded with just two words. what were those two words. >> thank you. >> brevity sometimes truly is the soul of wit. listen. you had begun the process or your union had begun the process of removing him. this is not some abtraction here. so why had this process begun? >> well, i think everybody saw it january 6th was the reason that i actually put the charges forward. it's -- look, since former president trump had been in office, that whole period of time before the 6th, he had had -- made statements throughout about our members, about people who were journalists, broadcasters. some are members, some aren't. but he'd make comments that were ways to delegitimize them and was putting them at risk. so we put out statements with
5:32 am
our broadcast reporters, having them say, we believe in a free and unencumbered press. we support them, freedom of speech. but what happened on the 6th was something where it went from just making statements to actually inciting violence. and so i actually put charges together, spoke to our national executive director, david white. i asked him to present those charges to our national board. and they supported the charges going towards our disciplinary committee to evaluate and to review. and we were about to go in actually today to speak on it and i got the letter yesterday from the former president. >> i'm not sure people know, broadcast journalists, a lot of television correspondents, news correspondents are members of actra. you have union members who have been targeted. written on the walls in the capitol, murder the media. so this is not, as i said, some
5:33 am
distraction. >> and it's s.a.g. our broadcast joinurnalists are very important to us. they inform and educate. i think walter cronkite said it best. when freedom of the press is not just important to democracy, but it is democracy. and i think on the 6th what we saw was the real threat to democracy in our country. and as the president of a union that is there to protect members, to make sure they are safe, particularly when they go to work and this was appalling. even as a citizen watching what took place live, the violence that was taking place, the idea that people were getting revved up and sent to, yes, not only put signs up, murder the press but you saw, you know, our -- the journalists were being attacked. they had -- they took the equipment, created a noose. our members when they go to work should feel safe. that shouldn't be the thing that they're frightened of.
5:34 am
>> what happens now to the self-proclaimed movie star. we just read his letter there. what happens to him in terms of his future acting career now that you've stripped him of membership or he has quit. >> we can't -- everybody has a right to work. what we have done is we've actually, by his resigning, that means, and it's very important that that happened because it's actually honored to be a member of our union. and so by his stepping away, he will not be able to work a union job or at least with our producers, people who are signed to our contracts. and i think that that's really important. we want people to know that they are -- in order to be a member of this union, there are responsibilities. we really believe in democracy. we believe in respecting our fellow americans. we want to make sure that truth is always told. and if you are going to do something, it's -- that's really harmful, then you have no place in our union. >> you have been in the business a long time. we played that montage of his
5:35 am
film clips coming into the piece. what's your assessment of the former president as a performer? >> you know, i forgot he had done those shows. i had forgotten. >> wow. and that probably stings more than anything right now. gabrielle carteris, thank you for being with us. thank you for the work you do. >> thank you for having us. we'll be right back.
5:36 am
5:37 am
if you smell gas, you're too close. leave the structure, call 911, keep people away, and call pg&e right after so we can both respond out and keep the public safe.
5:38 am
if you see wires down, treat them all as if they're hot and energized. stay away from any downed wire, call 911, and call pg&e right after so we can both respond out and keep the public safe. this is cnn breaking news. >> breaking news. the january jobs report was just released. cnn's chief business correspondent christine romans joins us with the numbers.
5:39 am
>> a job gain of 49,000 in january after a big loss that was even revised lower in december. an unemployment rate that fell to 6.3%. on paper, that's the lowest unemployment rate of this crisis, but when you dig beneath these numbers we've seen month after month of people leaving the labor force. you look at some of the other indicators in this report. 6.3% is because so many people aren't working. there's millions reporting they can't go to work because their business is closed or business is down so much that there aren't hours for them to have here. 2.7 million of these jobs are considered temporary layoffs. when you look at the labor market. and even more of them are considered permanent layoffs. 3.5 million people report to the government that they think they've been permanently laid off at this time. when you look at where the job losses are, no surprise in bars and restaurants, in retail trade. these are -- this is the part of the k-shaped recovery we've been talking about. the jobs disappearing and don't seem to be coming back, but we're seeing job gains in professional business services,
5:40 am
in schools, in mining. some parts of the economy are showing signs of life. some parts of the job market are recovering and others are just hopelessly here falling behind because the virus has kept the u.s. economy so out of sorts. overall, because of downward revisions in november and december, it was worse in november, december than the government originally thought. 9.9 million jobs that are still have been lost since this pandemic began. 9.9 million, alisyn, is still the deficit we have here. >> christine, thank you very much for explaining all of that to us. okay. no matter who wins this sunday, the real victory is being able to hold a super bowl during a pandemic. >> with tom brady. >> dr. sanjay gupta is going to tell us what worked for the nfl. what we can learn from it and how john berman can break the tom brady spell.
5:41 am
transitions™ light under control. ♪upbeat music♪ transitions™ signature gen 8™ available now, in 4 vibrant style colors. transitions™
5:42 am
5:43 am
5:44 am
some people say our trade-in process feels too easy. in 4 vibrant style colors. they can't believe it's 100% online and gives them a competitive offer that won't change for 7 days.
5:45 am
an offer that they can put toward their new car. some people can't believe our friendly advocate will come to them as soon as tomorrow. drop off their new ride and whisk their old one away. because we make trading your car unbelievably easy. all so you can say... told you so. experience the new way to trade in your car with carvana. getting ever closer to super bowl lv and the must-see matchup between tom brady and patrick mahomes. coy wire with the bleacher report. so great to see you there, coy. >> good to see you, john. wish you were here with me. perhaps the most exciting quarterback matchup in super bowl history. 43-year-old tom brady versus
5:46 am
25-year-old patrick mahomes who appears to have all the physical abilities to make him one of the greatest ever. also a lot of the intangibles that's made tom brady the greatest of all time. brady, he -- his family, 12 days before the game, not even staying at the house so that he can have supreme focus heading into this, even though he's been to nine super bowls before. he's taken his preparation to another level. he says that he wants to be celebrating with his family, with those loved ones again on the field after a win. listen. >> that's the best part about winning is having the people that have helped you get there and supported you there with you to enjoy it. so some of the best memories i've had in my life were being with my kids right after the super bowl and celebrating with them. so i hope we have that experience on sunday. it's going to be a really tough game. >> i'm focused on this game, trying to win this second super bowl and hold that lombardi
5:47 am
trophy. at the end of my drear, if i have a lot of super bowl rings, i'll be happy. >> you can join me, andy scholes, dr. sanjay gupta and maybe even john berman. it's kickoff in tampa bay, a cnn bleacher report special tomorrow at 2:30 eastern here on cnn. alisyn, john, back to you. >> coy, thank you very much. can't wait to see that. >> maybe we'll send a live truck to your house to watch. maybe that's just a personal -- >> it's possible. >> we don't want to watch what you do during -- >> it's possible -- just watch. >> oh, that's a tease. all right. whatever happens in sunday's super bowl, the nfl has reason to celebrate. completing a full season in the midst of a pandemic. something no other sport has been able to do. so how did the nfl do it? and what can we learn from it? dr. sanjay gupta reports. >> this is a sport defined by
5:48 am
close contact. an environment ripe for transmission. as other people who say, it's absolutely ludicrous to even try this, what do you say to them? >> i feel like it's the right thing to do to try to learn to live with this virus. i really do. >> reporter: dr. alan sills is the chief medical officer for the nfl. he was brought in as a neurosurgeon who thought he'd be dealing with concussions. and then the pandemic changed everything. i initially met up with him at the beginning of the season. >> we just have to recognize we're dealing with an unpredictable pandemic. we'll have to adjust along the way. >> reporter: on september 10th, the kansas city chiefs kicked off against the houston texans. and the first game of the season, at the time, there were more than 6 million confirmed coronavirus cases in the united states. >> now right before the super bowl, how did things go? >> i think what we've tried to do at every step is to make the best and safest decisions we can and we've tried to evolve and learn along the way. >> reporter: while cases around the country exploded, now at
5:49 am
more than 26 million confirmed, the nfl was relatively untouched. with a positivity rate of 0.08%. so what worked for the nfl? and what can we all learn from it? >> we had an outbreak in tennessee, and we went in and really dug into that and tried to understand, how did transmission occur despite our protocols, that's when we began to realize it wasn't just six feet and 15 minutes. >> reporter: dr. sills said it wasn't the playing or practices that were the largest concern but these three things -- eating, greeting and meeting. >> meeting inside. even if you're more than six feet apart if you're in a poorly ventilated room for a long period of time, if someone is positive, there can be transmission inside those rooms. eating together very high risk activity. most people don't have a mask on when they're eating. and then the greeting part is just the social interactions outside the facilities. when you interact in the community, if someone is positive and you get a hair cut
5:50 am
or have a massage at your house. >> how did the nfl know? they tested daily and tracked the movements of 11,000 players and staff, even alerting them if they were too close to one another. >> if we move closer together than six feet, you'll start to see it blinking red. >> reporter: keep in mind, the cdc defines close contact like this being within six feet of an infected person for a cumulative total of 15 minutes or more over a 24-hour period. but the league's data found transmission was occurring with less time and more distance. these are considerations for anyone anywhere to assess their risk. ventilation. are you indoors or outdoors? are you in a car with the windows up or are you in a large open stadium? the more air circulation, the better. masks. what kind of masks are being used, and do they fit correctly? and finally, time and distance. the longer and closer you are
5:51 am
around someone, the increase risk for transmission. >> if you're failing in two or more of those categories, that's what we considered a high risk close contact. i think the biggest thing we learned, universal masking works. it's the most effective strategy that we have. >> reporter: how hard would it be to replicate what you were able to do at the nfl? >> it wasn't the fact we tested every single day. it wasn't the fact that everyone wore a fancy proximity tracking device everywhere they went. what prevented transmission was mask usage, avoiding in-person meetings, staying in the open air environments. not eating together. prompt symptom reporting, isolation of anyone that's exposed. >> reporter: the same basic rules we have known since the beginning of this pandemic. with more evidence than ever that they actually work. >> so who are you rooting for? >> we love all our children. >> what's the deal with tom brady? just as a sports medicine guy, i mean, really, super bowl again?
5:52 am
>> i think his career has been amazing and outstanding, and he's an inspiration to all of us. you know, the closer he gets in age to me, i have thoughts maybe i've still got a run at it. >> had to get the tom brady question in there. as a michigan guy. but mostly for you, john berman. it's pretty incredible. 43 years old in another super bowl. >> i'm willing to share. i'm absolutely willing to share. >> are you? doesn't seem like you're willing to share. >> i'm willing to share. >> sanjay, how worried are you that there will be a spike after the super bowl because everybody will want to get together and celebrate? >> yeah, i think it's probably those parties, you know, that people have as opposed to the super bowl itself. you are going to have 25,000 fans. incidentally, 7500 of those 25,000 are going to be health care workers who have been vaccinated and are going to be there. they're still going to be wearing masks. they'll be passing out these kn95 masks to everyone that's attending the super bowl which is really interesting. they have made the decision that
5:53 am
these are the best masks for people to wear. sometimes it can be tough to figure out what are the best masks. the fda has all kinds of information on their website about this, and they can tell you how to spot counterfeits and all that. we'll put that information up. but i think it struck me that there was no team -- one team to another team transmission throughout the entire season. less than 1% positivity rate. again, in this sport that's defined by close proximity. i'm not as worried about the game itself as all the celebrations around the game. >> just a few people will be playing in the game. it's the other hundred million of us who will be watching. and listening to dr. fauci and others this week, i was struck. they felt they had to come out and say, don't have super bowl parties. which i know they have to, but this time around, i feel like it was almost a frustration. like, come on, guys. christmas is one thing. thanksgiving is one thing. if they are warning us not to get together for those things, which is understandable, super bowl parties is watching television. it's watching a game on tv.
5:54 am
you can live without a party. you can have nachos with your bubble. it works. >> it's better. fewer people you have, the more nachos for you. that's the silver lining. >> and you can actually watch the game. >> no, but, i mean, i'll let you deliver the message so people -- in case they are wondering about getting together with friends this weekend, now is the time for you to admonish all of them. >> yeah, look, you know, even the nfl itself sort of learned that the eating, meeting, greeting, it wasn't all the fancy tests and close proximity sensors. it was these three things. we sort of have guessed this since the beginning of the pandemic, but now the nfl has been able to show this. if you are going to be inside and you are eating, that means your masks are off. you're getting together with lots of people. lots of virus is circulating. those are the superspreader events. we've seen this over and over again. so, i mean, i think people hopefully have that message by
5:55 am
now. you can enjoy yourself in so many different ways, but if you are taking your masks off inside in a poorly ventilated situation, that is likely to account for some viral spread. >> final score, sanjay. final score in the game. >> what's that? >> final score. >> i'm going to give it to tampa bay. tampa bay by three points. it's going to be a close game. you know, it's hard to argue with the athletic abilities of patrick mahomes, but tom brady, 43 years old. i think it would make all of us older guys feel well if he wins. >> i see somebody who shares the tom brady love. >> he's a neurosurgeon. he knows what he's talking about. >> sanjay, thank you. have a good weekend. >> you got it. all right. thank you. >> and all of you have a good weekend as well. we know what john berman will be doing. brand-new jobs report just in with big signs about where the economy is heading. our coverage continues next.
5:56 am
5:57 am
5:58 am
if you smell gas, you're too close. leave the structure, call 911, keep people away, and call pg&e right after so we can both respond out and keep the public safe.
5:59 am
if you see wires down, treat them all as if they're hot and energized. stay away from any downed wire, call 911, and call pg&e right after so we can both respond out and keep the public safe. very good friday morning. i'm jim sciutto. >> i'm poppy harlow. we begin with breaking news. the january jobs report has just been released. america's unemployment rate drops slightly, but we're not seeing the kind of job addition
6:00 am
that we need. the u.s. economy added 49,000 jobs. very sluggish recovery and a perilous economy. it comes just minutes from now when president biden will meet with house democratic leaders to discuss pushing through his sweeping $1.9 trillion covid relief package. the senate in the early morning hours, around 5:00 a.m., made a procedural move this morning, passing a budget resolution that paves the way for democrats to push this bill through without any republican support if it comes to that. we'll have the latest. >> and just two hours from now, there will be dueling live events. one far more important. the white house covid-19 team will hold a news conference as the nation continues to battle this pandemic. dr. fauci warning that the uk variant may soon become dominant here in the u.s. it's more transmissible. that's a problem. that and the latest on johnson & johnson's one-shot vaccine moving close

66 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on