Skip to main content

tv   Campbell Brown  CNN  September 3, 2009 8:00pm-9:00pm EDT

8:00 pm
the radio for "the lou jobs show." go to lou dobbs show.com. thanks for being with us tonight. please join us tomorrow for all of us here. thanks for watching. good night from new york. next, john roberts in for campbell brown. zeerchlgt tonight here are the questions we want answered. is jasy -- new information from investigators. >> the very many who was 14 years old at the time met mr. >> jaycee remembered all of us. not only have we laughed and cried together, but we spent time sitting quietly. >> narrator: why do some parents want to keep their kids from hearing the president's speech
8:01 pm
to students next week? one republican leader calls it socialisten doctrination. >> narrator: plus, does jack kevorkian help patients to commit suicide, and that was life like for eight years in prison? dr. death speaks out. >> why would i have regrets? that's my duty. >> narrator: did this woman escape a possible honor killing for converting to krisht. tloo they have to kill me because i am now a christian. >> i want my child back. >> narrator: is she a run-away or risking her life for religion? nirchlg plus, the 14-year-old golfer who hit a hole in one, and she did it with only one arm. sfroo i was shocked. like who wouldn't be? i don't know. i never thought it would be such a big deal.
8:02 pm
>> narrator: we start with the stories making an impact right now and the moments that you might have missed. we're watching it all, so you don't have to. police barricades are set up in los angeles keeping fans far away from michael jackson's funeral set to begin in two hours time. after a very public death and investigation, tonight's service is a very private one at forest lawn cemetery in glendale, california. >> reporter: very few details coming out, but i can tell you that gladys knight will be performing during that service. it has 20 foot archways, lots of marble. it's 1 levels. plenty of mazes inside as well. jackson's crypt is supposed to be directly under a massive stained dallas window. the last supper window is a recreation of leonardo dah vimplgy's masterpiece. it's something to see. it's interesting because meej had actually reportedly commissioned his own last supper painting which he hung over his bed. a quarter of a million people are boaried there, including
8:03 pm
many celebrities, including michael jackson's very good friend sammy davis jr. along with humphrey bogart, jimmy stewart, walt disney, george burns, gracie allen. >> after the ceremony, the closest the public will get to jackson's vault is that life sized sustain glass recreation of the last supper window. larry king plans lots for coverage beginning at 9:00 p.m. eastern. new accusations against phillip garrido, the man accused of kidnapping jayceedugard. police had garrido under arrest, but had to let him go 20 years ago. >> in 1972 phillip garrido raped and drugged a then 14-year-old girl, took her back to a motel. garrido at the time was arrested. again, this happening 37 years ago, but the case never went to trial because, according to the lieutenant, the young woman refused to testify. >> in 1977 garrido was convict of raping a 25-year-old woman but served 11 years of a 50 year
8:04 pm
sentence. today we heard from one of jayceedugard's relatives, her aunt who spent time with jaycee earlier this woke. >> we spent time sharing memories and stories and getting to know each other again. jaycee remembers all of us. she especially enjoying getting to know her little sister who was just a baby when jaycee was taken. not only have we laughed and cried together, but we spent time sitting quietly taking pleasure in each other's company. >> for her the most powerful moment was when her sister got to see her daughter, jaycee, for the first time. >> they talk about the fact of these girls, these two young girls who are now 15 and 11, scarlet and angel. even though they were kept away from school, they are educated. >> they were familiar with the internet. how they seemed bright, how they seemed like normal children. >> phillip garrido and his wife
8:05 pm
nancy are charged with 29 counts of kidnapping, rape, and false imprisonment. they have pleaded not guilty. new details from the government on the h1n1 swine flu virus. more than 550 americans have died, including at least 42 children younger than the age of 18, but messable from the center for disease control, the cdc's top doc, don't panic. >> h1n1 influenza is here. it is spreading. we do expect to see more cases. the good news is that so far everything that we've seen, the virus has want changed to become more deadly. most of the children who had fatal flu mru flu infections this past spring had an underlying condition. most people with flu don't need treatment. we continue to anticipate that the vaccines will be available by the middle of october.
8:06 pm
in the public health system all vaccinations will be free, and i would recommend that all schoolchildren get vaccinated. >> even the cdc is not immune to the swine flu. there are sex suspected cases at their atlanta, georgia headquarters. we have new details about what we'll hear from president obama on his speech on health care next week. the president will lay out in what he wants in understandable, clear terms. lots of people waiting to hear that. >> what do you, mr. president. give us some guidance here. are you willing to give up the public option? are you willing to give up a, b, auto krr? >> i think it's going to be very, very clear by the time the speech is done that he sees a clear path to how we can provide stability and security to the people who have insurance and how we can help those who don't have insurance. >> dade axlerod was being grilled by some pretty good journalists, and, you know, he looked like a greased pig. >> the white house is not going to be specific on the fate of the public option, but on
8:07 pm
capitol hill you already see democrats pulling away from it. >> we've seen a lot of shouting, some pushing, some shoving from people protesting health care reform. what we haven't seen up until now is biting. yes, beating. >> here's where the fight begins. you can still see the blood stains on the ground from the 65-year-old man whose finger was bitten off. >> it was a defensive strike because the gentleman kind of aggressed toward him like he was going to hit him. william grabbed his hand and came back to the -- to get on the sidewalk and said he bit my finger off. i saw and looked down, and ki see that the stump of his finger -- i could see that it had been betten off. >> reporter: officials are still investigating the incident. they have a picture of the suspected finger biter shown here in black. both sides agree the debate has gotten out of control. >> the victim, by the way, got to a hospital, but doctors were not able to reattach his finger tip. next, the video that we could not stop talking about
8:08 pm
today. it's from a jazoo, mississippi, school bus. a 14-year-old student pulled a gun. watch what happened next. >> took a little nap on the way to the bus. suddenly his sister wakes him up with a real life nightmare. check out this school bus video. what you see there is a young girl, 14-year-old, pulling out a gun and loading it. right in the corner of your screen there. >> the hero, as it turn ud out, who tackled, of'4", 255 pound football star caleb les. he has four sisters and two cousins also on the bus. the girl faces charges of attempted assault and kidnapping. sdmrichblgts we have another amazing story to tell you tonight. a hole in one in golf is special, but not especially rare, but take a look at this 14-year-old girl's very special shot. >> this is a tough hole right here, number 13. it's the hardest, i think. >> reporter: two weeks ago with her mom and three friends watching lily hit a hole in one at this 115 yard par three hole.
8:09 pm
that's just part of the story. you see, lelly did it with just one arm. she was born that way, and it doesn't stop her from playing. >> it's been very difficult trying to get a good technique down. it's not easy controlling one arm. >> i was shocked. like, who wouldn't be, but i don't know. i never thought it would be such a big deal. >> good for her. sports illustrated heard about lily's shot too, and is putting her story in this week's issue. the characters from "sesame street" try to educate kids will fighting the flu. conan o'breeen couldn't resist having some fun with it. here's tonight's punch line. >> it's time for you to hear the flu about swine flu. >> the first thing you have to do to stay healthy is always wash your hand. >> don't listen to him. everybody run for the mountains. it's the end of the world! >> and when you have to sneeze or cough, do it into the bend of your arm. >> make peace with your god.
8:10 pm
>> great job. >> we're all going to die. >> as for the tonight show, and that is the mash vup. is a young run-away being brainwashed by a church, or is she escaping a death sentence by her muslim parents? it's a heated custody battle involving rblg, mrekz, and a family torn apart. >> they to kill me. my blood is now -- which means that because i am now a christian, i'm from a muslim background, it's an honor. if they love xwod more than me, they have to do this. choose aleve and you could start taking fewer pills. just 2 aleve have the strength... to relieve arthritis pain all day.
8:11 pm
maybe this is one of the most important. new centrum ultra women's. a complete multivitamin for women. it has vitamin d which emerging science suggests... supports breast health... and more calcium for bone health. new centrum ultra women's.
8:12 pm
why is dick butkus here? i hired him to speak. a lot of fortune 500 companies use him. but-- i'm your only employee. we're gonna start using fedex to ship globally-- that means billions of potential customers. we're gonna be huge. good morning! you know business is a lot like football... i just don't understand... i'm sorry dick butkus. (announcer) we understand. you want to grow internationally. fedex express
8:13 pm
. she says her muslim father threatened kill her when she converted to christianity. he says she is under the thumb of the husband and wife pastors of a nondenominational church in florida who she found on facebook. the story is making headlines across the country. >> reporter: this girl says she lived as a secret christian in her parents' home for years and that when her father found out he flew into a rage, threatening an honor killing with a muslim woman is murdered for bringing shame on her family. >> she says she needed get away from her parents, so she hitchhiked a bus station. then hopped on a bus and ened up here in orlando. she has befriended the orlando church on facebook and ended up it he past or's home. >> in fact, in the case she has
8:14 pm
really galvanized the christian evangelical movement here in florida. thousands of people have e-mailed the governor, charty crist to help her stay in florida until she turns 18 in about 11 months, and they can make up their own legal choice of where she wants to li. joining us is an attorney who represents ripka's father. thanks for being with us tonight. i want to ask you, first of all, this charge that ripka says that her father threatened kill her because she had converted to christianity, what does he have to say about that? >> well, thank you for having me, mr. roberts. first of all, i think i need to tell you and your viewers that the judge basically put a gag order on us today and basically i'm limited in my advocacy of my client tonight and what i can discuss with you are the procedural issues and the motions that have been filed and what will be filed from now on, so i'm limited as to the facts of the case itself. sfoo sure, but he has actually been on the record talking about this before, so we're talking
8:15 pm
about something that's already out there in the public domain. >> what i can actually tell you is that today was arraignment. that's a procedural issue, and we did deny all the allegations. the judge accepted those denials on the record. my client was present over the phone, and so that was what basically happened today. he denied all the allegations. >> so he is saying what she says is not true. she also said in a rather lengthy interview with a florida television station that she fears being killed if she returns back home. i want to play just a little bit of that and get your reaction to her state of mind. >> they to kill me. my blood is now hallal, which means that because i am now a christian, i'm prosecute a muslim background, it's an honor -- if they love god more than me, they to do this. >> so, what does he have to say about that and her state of meend, this idea that because she is a muslim who has converted christianity, by islamic law, it would be an honor killing to end her life should she go back home. >> well, mr. roberts, all i can say about that is that the court
8:16 pm
of law today that we were all in is an american court of law which runs by american principles and we all adhere to that, and today a denial was formally entered as to all the allegations and any allegations that have been brought up either by ms. barry or on her behalf by the guardian ad litem or her attorney. >> she rightly says in the course of this interview that there are hundreds of cases of honor killings and there was one in the city of toronto knott of us in ontario, kabda, not too long ago in which a muslim father strangled his daughter because she refused to wear the traditional muslim head scarf. does she have a legitimate concern here? >> well, what i can tell you, mr. roberts is, again, my client denies all these allegations, and we will be filing a motion for psychological evaluation, and, you know, we will go on from there. i moved for in deposition of the child today wrshgs that was denied. again, that's a procedural issue. i'll be moving to depose
8:17 pm
lorenzos, beverly and blake, in the next couple of weeks before we move into mediation, which is the next stage in this procedure. >> the lorenzos, beverly and blake, as you mentioned, they are the husband and wife pastors who are -- have her, i guess, in what the state is referring to as foster care. pa do you know about them? >> well, actually, just to correct the fact that my understanding of mr. barry support in they are foster care at this point. that's where she was before, and she is actually in dcs custody at this poebt with a foster family, which is just on to correct that fact. blake and beverly lorenzo are the people that allegedly she had come to and so, again, basically the procedure of what i wanted to mention to you is i'll be deposing them, and that's another thing that will happen the next couple of weeks. the judge has ordered mediation in this case, and as an officer of the court, i have to go to mediation with some information
8:18 pm
in my hands, and part of that would be to get depositions. the judge denied the deposition of the child, but i am free to depose lorenzos. >> all right. got you on that point. now, there are some other claims that are being made by ripka through her attorney. i assume you talked about that today. alsos that she was sexually abused by an uncle, that her father hit her on at least one occasion. there is also a 35-page filing that i have here claiming th that -- the mosque denies this. i assume that you have denied all of those charges as well in your pleading. >> well, mr. roberts, i represent mr. barry and not anybody else in this matter, and people can speak for themselves and defend themselves if they need to. what i can tell you because of the gag order with the limitations imposed upon me today by the court is that we will be filing a writ of prohibition in the fifth district court of appeals and in our state of florida and
8:19 pm
hopefully, you know, what that would do is that would stop these proceedings if that writ of prohibition is granted. >> right. we should also mention that this has made its way to the governor -- governor charlie crist said he is glad she has been able to stay in florida. they will continue to protect ripka's safety and well being. doesn't seem like he has any positive thoughts about a reunion with her family. good to talk to you tonight. thanks for joining us, sir. >> thank you. thank you so much. sdmrirchlgt tonight's big question, how is u.s. aid money landing in the hands of the taliban? plus, our newsmaker, dr. death, jack kevorkian. >> why would i have regrets? that's my duty. i am pleased to are done my duty. not like other doctors who cowardly turn away. a complete women's multivitamin plus more for metabolism support. and that's a change i feel good about. new from one a day.
8:20 pm
there's no way to hide it. sir, have you been drinking tonight? if you ride drunk, you will get caught... and you will get arrested.
8:21 pm
8:22 pm
hln's mike gallanos has tonight's download from atlanta. hi, mike where are. >> u.s. taxpayer dollars meant to build roads and bridges in afghanistan ends up, instead, in the hands of the taliban. that explosive allegation from the executive editor of the global post. here's charles senate talking to cmn today. >> in the areas where the taliban is in droel, which the u.s. concedes is more than 50% of the country, there are subcontractors who are paying out what amounts to a protection money or a protection racket really where the taliban takes a cut of that contract to assure the protection of those people working in the area that the taliban controls. this is very much like organized crime in america.
8:23 pm
>> his reporters on the ground tell him it's an open secret in afghanistan. he says both congress and the agency in charge have launched the investigation. well, today the treasury department changed the rules for cuban-americans with family members back home. effective immediately americans can visit close relatives in cuba and send them unlimited amounts of money. before it was only $ 1,200. the treasury is carrying out president obama's decision. that was announced back in april. big shift in u.s. poll, but the 47-year-old cuban embargo remains. sdmrimplgts well, fire crews are gradually getting a handle on that massive wildfire near l.a. it's now 38% contained. firefighters say today's humid weather was a beg help. there are still new hot spots, though. one forced the evacuation of 11 more homes early this morning. a total of 64 homes have been destroyed since the fear began more than a week ago. an ohio judge couldn't get order in the court, he ordered duct tape for the defendant. here's the robbery suspect in the orange jumpsuit. well, judge steven beldan. when he wouldn't stop
8:24 pm
interrupting, the judge had the deputy tape his mouth shut. the judge said he learned that from another judge at a judicial conference. guy was mad about the lawyer that was appointed to hem, and the judge said go to the duct tape, and that was that. >> finally a use for all that duct tape the department of homeland security told you to buy. sdoo there you go. >> mooib, thanks so much. sdmrirchlg president obama giving a spoech to school students. sounds innocent enough. tonight's big question, why is it causing so much controversy, and why are some parents pulling their kids out of class? plus, tonight's newsmaker. dr. death, jack kevorkian. hear why he considered taking his own life in prison. >> well, i considered ending this suffering because i didn't think they would let me out of prison, and i didn't want to die on their terms. >> right. >> and your preferred method would have been starvation? >> it's the only thing i could do. i'm not going to slit my throat or hang by a rope. i didn't want to suffer when i'm dying.
8:25 pm
it's critical that i stick to my medication. i cannot be one of the 61 million americans who do not refill their prescriptions on time. readyfill at cvs pharmacy automatically refills my prescriptions and reminds me to pick them up. you mean, reminds me to pick them up. [ chuckles ] stop by your local cvs pharmacy to ask if readyfill is right for you, and get a $25 coupon book. readyfill, only at cvs pharmacy. having the right tools is crucial
8:26 pm
to being able to manage your diabetes properly. it's very important for me to uh check my blood sugar before i go on stage. being on when i'm feeling low can be like a rollercoaster. it does at times feel like my body is telling me to do one thing... and, my mind, my heart is telling me to do something else. managing my highs and lows is super important. with my contour meter i can personalize my high/lo settings so it really does micromanage where my blood sugar needs to be. i'm nick jonas and never slowing down is my simple win.
8:27 pm
sflooemplgt talk about a teachable moment. president obama's plan to make a back to school speech to students next week has some conservatives up in arms. they're aurjing schools not to show the address in class, calling it "an attempt to indoctrinate students." >> on tuesday the president is going to be addressing the schoolchildren and saying that they should work hard. rifshlgts critics say the speech and the teaching aid is a way for the president to indoctrinate children spshgs some school districts say they're want going to show this and some parents are refusing to send their kids to school that day. >> there is some historical precedent for presidents speaking to students in nationally televised addresses. president george h.w. bush can so in 1991. ronald reagan even talked politics with students in 19 8.
8:28 pm
>> they accuse president obama in trying to turn kids into socialists and it will spread over the internet ask talk radio faster than the white house can contain in t. >> is this a manufactured controversy, or do critic advisory a point? joining us me is jim greer, the chairman of the republican party of florida. he put out a statement condemning the president's planned speech as "an attempt to indoctrinate america's children to his socialist agenda." and on the other side of the issue political an analyst roland martin. what's your problem with the president addressing schoolchildren next week? >> well, first of all, we have to see where we are today compared to where we were 24 hours ago. for you to talk about how students can help president obama, the new ideas of president obama, there was clearly going to be designed some effort to engage the students across this country in the public policy debate.
8:29 pm
after the parents across this country and the uproar that occurred, the department of education withdrew all of that language last night. the white house reissued its lesson plans, and now they have said they will let parents see the text of the speech so i think my concerns and the concerns of parents across this country certainly were substantiated by the scramble that the white house went through last night. >> in fact, jim, it f approximate i could to help folks at home, let's put up what the original text was of this lesson plan, which is what you have an immediate problem with and how it was amended. here's the original lesson plan, which asks students to "write letters to themselves about what they can do it to help the president. that was amended now to read write letters to themselves about how they can achieve their short-term and long-term educational goals. these will be collected and redistributed at an appropriate later date by the teacher to make students accountable to their goals. roland martin, was there a problem there with the additional materials that were provided to go along with the president's speech? >> no. it's want a problem.
8:30 pm
what you have is you have some insane parents who want to bring their ideology into the table. now, here's what's interesting. our guest -- i remember when i was in school, john. the former head of the text technical republican party, george strait, came to my school. thank god i didn't have some crazy parents saying, oh, no, i want my child to opt out of listening to george strait because he might indoctrinate my child into becoming a republican. this is ideology. why is it -- i didn't see people sitting here saying when president george w. bush wants to go read to students, oh, i topt see what book he is reading. i want to pull my kid out of the class because i'm a democrat, he is a republican. this is absolute nonsense. >> you see, the example you gave, the parents didn't have an opportunity to decide whether have you to listen to when the chairman came to speak. here in this case -- >> because they shouldn't. it was ridiculous. they should not. >> as a parent, as a parent, and i believe parents across this country believe this -- i want to know what my child is going
8:31 pm
to be taught. i want to know who is teaching it to them, and i want to know what my child is going to be exposed to. >> really? how about this, john? >> roland, let me just interject here for a second because, jim, you talked about the lesson plans that will accompany the president's speeches being the central focus of the problem, but you also said this the other day. you said the idea that schoolchildren across our nation will be forced to watch the president justify his plans for government-run health care, banks and automobile companies, increasing taxes on those who create jobs and making it more -- is not oen only infuriating but goes against the beliefs of many americans and bypassing american parents. now, when you look at the central part of that statement, forced watch the president justify his plan for government-run health care, banks, and automobile companies. they said that's pants on fireworks untrue. that you just made that up. >> well, i really don't have or believe in much credibility of political fact because it's run
8:32 pm
by some left leaning people that don't really focus on the issues. >> oh. >> let's get back to the issue at hand. when the white house put these lesson plans out and they asked students to write a letter and say how they can help president obama. well, president obama has for the last nine months been very vocal and aggressive on his vision for the future of america. >> his vision may not be the vision that i want my children to hear and that's why parents have raised they are voices nationwide and, john, that's why the white house is scrambled and changed the lesson plan and now we're telling parents what he is going to say. >> john, here's why jim is an absolute fraud. most school board members across this country are elected. here's what i want to know. i want to know does jim plan to protest every time a school board member, a state rep, a city councilman, a governor, a congressman goes to visit any school in the state of florida, because if you want to suggest
8:33 pm
that parents should opt out of pulling their kids out with any politician's peek, all of those people are elected. are you going to say right now that you are going to protest any elected official who goes to any school in your state or anywhere in the country? >> well, i can tell you, roland, if there's a lesson plan tachld -- >> no, no, no. now you're dancing. no, no, no. jim. >> it's at lesson plans that were attached to his speech is what started this controversy. >> john. >> it's clearly what has shown -- >> on that point, federal statute does deny the department of education from providing any kind of curriculum to schools on the state level. does he have a point? >> a little point. >> does he have a point -- >> no -- >> this creek lut lum should not have been drktd. >> jim doesn't have a point because what he is complaining about that students are going to be writing letters to the president. do you know how many children every day in classrooms as a part of the process actually write letters to the president,
8:34 pm
the white house? there are kids they have send packets every day to the white house from all across this country. jim wants to dance around it. people who are bringing their ideology saying i don't want my child lisping to this liberal democratic president when you have people complaining -- john, your letter was ridiculous talking about health care. kids stay in school. your letter was inas i understandary, and it was on purpose. >> i believe that the president, any president, should be allowed to talk to students on the first day of school to talk to them about staying in school and the benefits of an education. i believe that. this president includes -- >> you just say this president -- let me finish. roland, no. i haven't said anything about pulling kids out. others are saying that. i do believe -- let me finish. i do believe that parents, parents, not the government, should decide what their children should be exposed to. i would say in this day and age i think the president has enough to do focussing on the economy
8:35 pm
and finding jobs for americans than writing lesson plans out of the oval office. that's what's concerning. >> considering the dropout rate and not understanding this, i am glad you have a president that's willing to speak to children because maybe these seam parents aking like children, maybe they can't listen. people the kids can teach them a lesson on how to have respect for the president of the yets. i'm not afraid of kids lisping to politicians talk like you are. >> unfortunately, we're -- >> do you have any children? >> i have -- >> we're employing to are to leave it lsh where. >> i love to talk to pole tigs any time. >> spirited debate. thanks for joining us tonight. appreciate it. >> thanks a lot. sflirchlg jack kevorkian has no. >> ran off with his secretary. - ( crowd gasping ) - ( chirp ) van gogh? ( chirp ) even steven.
8:36 pm
- ( chirp ) mansion. - ( chirp ) good to go. ( grunts ) timber! ( chirp ) boss? what do we do with the shih-tzu? - ( crowd gasps ) - ( chirp ) joint custody. - phew! - announcer: get work done now. communicate in less than a second with nextel direct connect. only on the now network. deaf, hard of hearing and people with speech disabilities access www.sprintrelay.com. if you get sick, or change jobs. eight ways reform matters to you. a cap on deductibles and out-of-pocket costs. no annual or lifetime limits on coverage. preventive care. covered. pre-existing conditions. covered. no higher rates due to genlér. extended coverage for young adults. no more coverage denied if you get sick. and guaranteed renewal, even if you do. learn more today. geand that takes a lot ofeen arohard work.0 years. not just some cute little gecko waffling on about this, 'n' that. gecko vo: i mean, i am easy on the eyes - but don't let that take away from how geico's always there for you.
8:37 pm
gecko vo: first rule of "hard work equals success." gecko vo: that's why geico is consistently rated excellent or better in terms of financial strength. gecko vo: second rule: "don't steal a coworker's egg salad, 'specially if it's marked "the gecko." come on people.
8:38 pm
you know tonight's newsmakers is dr. death. the man who single handedly ignited a nationwide conversation over doctor assisted suicide. since then he has done prison time, lost his medical license, and even considered taking his own life, but has he chained his mind? earlier we sat down for his first primetime interview since his parole ended this summer. >> you are can convicted of second degree murder for assisting in the death of thomas youc -- where the foal of the prison system is to punish people for their crimes and try
8:39 pm
to convince them to never ever do it again. i'm wondering, i'm curious. if someone were to come to you and say, dr. kevorkian, i want to end my life, i want your assistance, would you help them to assist suicide to end their life? >> not now. it wouldn't serve any purpose. sfoo so you have changed -- >> the world knows bm it. everybody knows about it, and anybody who does it now will just end up in ron. it's not worth it. >> have you changed your mind about assisted suicide? >> no. i changed my mind about suffering in prison for nothing. you can't -- listen, the issue is settled when the he's is broken with one case. you know, everybody knows about it now, but nobody can do it. they're afraid to death because the law will punish them. they won't stop anything. it won't change anything. the people have to demand this right. >> what was life in had prison like? >> it was all right. boring. it was boring, and the worst
8:40 pm
thing was the lack of total freedom and the senatoring. boy, there are a lot of people senatoring in prison. >> i read an interview in what you said that at one point you actually considered taking your own life. >> well, i considered ending the suffering, yeah, because i didn't think they would let me out of prison, and i didn't want to die on their terms. >> you preferred method would have been starvation? >> it's the only method i could do. i'm not going to hang by a rope or something. i didn't want to suffer. >> well, i don't know anything
8:41 pm
about the case. i don't know -- i'm not connected with it. who knows? you got to have the details. you got to have the doctor's note, medical note to see what he did and what he said. i mean, did jackson demand the drugs? did he demand higher dosage? the doctor might have refused it and then jackson felt he would throw a fit. who knows? and i think he was trying to -- he was treeing to conform to the patient's wishes. that's what a good doctor should do. in that case i could not blame him tore doing it if the person wanted. jackson office a suicide campaign. he kept that up. he knew he was going to die. >> is it right for a doctor just to say it's what the patient wants, this is what i'm going to give the patient? >> well, that's not a blank check. it's all right for the doctor to
8:42 pm
conform exactly to the patient's wishes as long as it's in conformity to regular medical ethices. simple as that. the ethices will control the profession. not law. >> would you have done neglect different? >> i would have done it earlier. >> you would have helped people to die early? >> yeah. i would have done it earlier in my life, because it's not good to have all this commotion near the end of your life. i would have rather been younger. prison wasn't that hard on me. i was surprised. when you know you're not a criminal, prison is quite easy, in fact. >> so in terms of helping people to die in terms of assed suicide, you have no reyet? >> why kwoo i have regrets? that's my duty. i was pleased have done my duty. want like other doctors who cowardly turn away. >> jack kevorkian, by the way,
8:43 pm
whose life will be the subject of an hbo documentary next year. al pacino will play the lead role. michael jackson's funeral happening just over an hour from now. we'll take you there live. plus, tonight's big question, is everything we have learned about raising our kids all wrong? >> one school district started an hour later. the s.a.t. scores were the best and brooits went up 200 points. we're shopping for car insurance, and our friends said we should start here. good friends -- we compare our progressive direct rates,
8:44 pm
apples to apples, against other top companies, to help you get the best price. how do you do that? with a touch of this button. can i try that? [ chuckles ] wow! good luck getting your remote back. it's all right -- i love this channel. shopping less and saving more. now, that's progressive. call or click today.
8:45 pm
8:46 pm
what's the difference between raidsing an a student or b student? we're not talking about study time. we're talking about sleep. it's part of nurture shock. a bok that challenges all you knew about parenting. here's part two of campbell brown's conversation with co-auth co-author. >> we heard for, you know, anlz sleep is crucial, but you say that you highlight a study here that shows kids test two grade levels lower when they aren't getting enough sleep. >> this work by the doctor had kids, filth graders for three nights get 30 minutes less sleep. just 30 minutes less. >> that's nothing, by the way.
8:47 pm
loo and then after three nights he gave them an iq test, and they were scoring three grades behind. on average in high school -- and this is research out of minnesota and rhode island -- a students average 15 more minutes sleep than b students who average 50 more minutes than c students and so on. every 15 minutes counts. what's troubling is in the last 30 years we've stolen an hour of sleep from our kids. when we were growing up, we don't think we got a lot of sleep. subtract an hour, and that's what you get for today's kids. >> you actually highlight some high school pz, i think, that have moved their start time back an hour, and they're having incredible results. >> in connecticut -- or in minnesota, one school district started an hour later. the s.a. it. scores for the best and brightest went up 200 points. >> because they start an hour later? >> because they started school an hour later. how could that possibly be? we are learning every day that during your nighttime your brain recodes your memory and lodge-term memory, and this is
8:48 pm
crucial to sort of the looseness of your brain that's necessary for sleep to make this happen. if you don't sleep enough, it doesn't happen wrshgs you can't store things in long-term memory. you can't remember them when you are taking the s.a.t. >> you also say there is a link many some of the studies between sleep deprivation and obesity. >> what could those two things have in common? zoous like we're talking about the cognizant side. a lot of hormones that regulate appear tut and suppression of appetite and fat burning are all regulated during sleep, and that's one hour less of sleep for a child leads to an 80% increase in the odds of obesity. >> you also wrote -- and this is where even letting the kids stay up a little later on the weekends can have a detrimental effect because most parents -- i'm included. you think, oh, it's the weekend. what's a half hour here and there. >> let's work on kindergarten ners. those are people building up their biolited that are well established and i certainly did. let them stay up late on
8:49 pm
welcomes. i still do it myself too. you know, that will impar them on monday and tuesday as they're rorg. it's like giving the kids jet laying. >> will bronson on parenting. >> private moments inside. a media circus outside. a live report as we await michael jackson's burial in california. abb
8:50 pm
8:51 pm
zimplt bushd three people and left two firefighters dead. it's now being described as authorities, described by the associated president, as an arson fire, and it's being invested because of the death of the two firefighters as a
8:52 pm
homicide. 40% contained. firefighters continue to battle the blazes and continue to save more property. sflimplgts now on to our looming beg story. the forest lawn cemetery just outside of los angeles where in a little more than an hour michael jackson will finally be laid to rest more than two months after his death. cnn's randy kay is watching as events develop tonight, and you've got the assembled media of the world gathered there with you outside the gates. what's going on inside tonight as we know will happen, rapidy? >> well, john, as you know, this is supposed to be a private burial service for very close friends and family of michael jackson. just in the last couple of minutes you did see some people starlgt to arrive here escorted by los angeles police, but i do have here those that were invited. they received one of these. this is the official invitation to the close family friends. inside there's a very nice picture of michael jackson from his neverland ranch, but you did
8:53 pm
mention the media. there are 60 media lookout youtlets from around the world here. i can tell you some of the frenzy that's going on out here. people have been camped out around here since 4:00 a.m. this morning. one crew from australia today told us that. michael jackson will be buried in the great mausoleum, and his crypt, i'm told, will be right beneath this amazing stain glass window. it's the last supper window. it's an exact rip ka of davinci's masterpiece. quite a sight. >> randy, thanks so much. michael jackson's friends and family gathered tonight, and is this really the end of the story in that's the focus of the special edition of "larry king live" coming up at the top of the hour, and at 10:00 p.m. eastern ac 360 is live at forest lawn sem father as michael jackson is laid to rest. we're watching "money on and main street tonight. most experts say the recession is over, but a lot of working people are still worried sick about their jobs making ends meet. our ali velshi, is it ever going to get easier for them?
8:54 pm
>> i was in the grocery please talk to your doctor about aspirin and your heart. i'm going to be grandma for a long time.
8:55 pm
that the bank of america really has the market cornered on.
8:56 pm
let me make it easier for you. let me show you how i can make it easier for you. we have the number one rated online banking website. it has an alert system that can text message you, so you're mobile banking, your bank's telling you what your current balance is. it's telling you if a certain check is cleared. customers that use the internet, use online banking. it all kind of falls in with what you're doing, and it's free. you can pay all your bills online, customers can save tons of time. we have great new image atms. it will give you a receipt which has a copy of the check you deposited. deposit cash, any denomination you don't even have to count the cash, just put it in there. let it do the work for you. and they can have those deposits posted to their account the same business day up until 8 o'clock. you're in control of your finances. now when you talk about convenience, you measure us up to everyone else. well, you'll see we stand ahead of the curve.
8:57 pm
sflimplgt the latest unemployment report comes out tomorrow morning. economists predict it will show another 225,000 americans lost their jobs last month. meanwhile, the new cnn poll shows fewer americans are down on the economy, but nearly nine out of ten people we talked to say the u.s. is still in a recession. let's bring in our ali velshi for tonight's money and main street report. a look at how ordinary people are coping in these tough times. he is riding the cmn express in madison, wisconsin, today, and so many americans so worried about losing their jobs, so how do you make sure you keep the jobs that you've got? >> yeah, it's going to be that way for a while. john, we're going to get the unemployment numbers tomorrow
8:58 pm
morning. there are going to be a lot of job losses. things people need to worry about is they are employed by businesses. they are revenue-generating businesses, so be a revenue generating people. so many people are involved in administrative work or work that doesn't seem to be tied to revenue. come up with ideas for your company to make money and make yourself valuable that way. simply make yourself a valuable employee. more so than others. are you trained in the newest technology? maybe you speak a language that is useful to your company. there are going to be many, many more layoffs, hundreds of thousands of more layoffs in the united states over the course of the next several months. how do you make yourself the person that when those layoffs come, the company really wants to keep you? these are tough things to get your head around, but they're necessary right now, because we're not out of the woods, john where. >> in good times are always looking to trade up jobs and find something better. i know you have been talking to people who wish they had the chance to get their old jobs back. what are you hearing? >> yeah. just in evanville, indiana, where they're closing down that whirlpool plant, and one woman said it to me perfectly. she said i wish i had a chance to know that i could have traded something off, i could have
8:59 pm
maybe given back some of my wages, i could have had my benefits cut. there are a lot of people say it's wofrt approaching that idea, the idea that maybe you can take a cut in order to stay employed. that's a trekky one, john, because the minute you start broaching that one with your employee, you have put yourself -- with your employer, you are putting yourself into a bit of a position of weakness. it's definitely worth considering, but it's a tough one to go down. >> all right. i was troubled hear that one woman say to you, you know, all we can do is hope for the best because hope is a great thing to have in this economy, but hope is not going to get you very far. >> that's right. hope and a little strategy might help, john. >> yeah. all right. ali on the road for us with money and main street. thanks so much. test your financial health, by the way, at cnm.com/money and main street. just plug in your age, salary, and how much save and spend and get your score. ali will be making his way across the country. he is employing to be showing up in more places on the cnn express over the next couple of days as heads into the labor day weekend. that's going to be all from us

271 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on