Skip to main content

tv   Politics and Public Policy Today  CSPAN  February 23, 2016 4:00pm-6:01pm EST

4:00 pm
year for 250 of them by over $4 million. in the second year, by $12 million and dramatically cut by over 60 th% their hospitalizati. that's one issue we're in the process of exploring across navy medicine. >> thank you, senator. regarding the innovation of health care in the ft. drum model, that is a phenomenon model for that area, but we've noticed it might not fit in all of our demographic areas and sizes of our mtfs vary from location to location and that may not be reproducible. but there are additional things we're doing such as in leonardwood missouri, telehealth. they have an arrangement with an ic nurks the state of arkansas. to help them with that, so, these are leveraging technology
4:01 pm
using telehealth, other partnerships to achieve some of those same ends, but i agree that for the ft. drum community, that model they have is works very well. thanks. >> senator, i mentioned in my statement that the air force has 13 hospitals, that is actually below our operational requirement for deemployable medical teams, so we have had to use innovative concepts in order to meet our operational requirements. so, we have about 2,500 air force medical personnel embedded in other services hospitals and that's one way we're doing this. the other way, we have embedded surgical staff into private sector hospitals in omaha, nebraska, tampa, florida, phoenix, arizona, oklahoma city and in birmingham, alabama. they're providing care in those hospitals. i would say that while that model has been successful for us
4:02 pm
to some extent, i don't think we can go too heavily in that direction because as i said in my statement, the military hospital remains the bedrock of our readiness because that provides readiness to the entire team. the private sector platforms tends to benefit the private staff, but not so much the nursing staff. >> there are some other areas, too, where we've all been doing innovative work and this is in our enhanced market. this is where we have about 45% of our resources and 45% of our patients where they need care. what's innovative about that is between the statuses able and pending on where it is for care. one of the hospitals can send personnel to -- where the demand is. just as an example, here in
4:03 pm
national capital region, we were looking at the demand for physical therapy services. and by usinging some of the assets within a couple of bedded facilities, we were able to send physic physical therapists to those clinics and by doing that, we were able to get -- for specialty care, so, this is something that all of the services have with the advanced enhanced multiservice markets. >> thank you, mr. chair. mr. woodson, rather than go back through what senator gillibrand brought up on the aba treatment, i would like to join with senator gillibrand and some follow up. i think the key there has to do with timing and the most important thing is to understand the profoundly important value
4:04 pm
of this treatment for not only the child that may be receiving the treatment, but also the health and quality of life for the active duty personnel, military personnel and the souses. admiral, i want to start with you, then probably ask the other searchens general to chime in. because i think you're making a very important point about the unique nature of this health system. i want to get to -- -- would cost about 50% higher than what it would cost if the services were purchased in the private sector. can you give me some help in trying to wrarationalize what t real gap is because there's obviously some structural cause based on the nature of what you're doing, but give me some sort of sense of what you believe may be an attainable
4:05 pm
goal or some sort of narrowi ii of the gap or is it right and proper? >> absolutely. our costs break down into two large budgets, the two are1fmp facility costs. maintaining bedded facilities. and those are important as we get casualties back of the walter reids of the world and places like that. >> so, there's an unused capacity you may not find and comparable private health care settings. >> absolutely. absolutely. if you look at the civilian sector, they are running that occupancies of 90 plus percent. we don't do that because our beds are in reserve for contingency operations. the others are personnel costs. we staff two operational plants of combat and commanders. i don't staff to peacetime care, so, i have in some places, more staff in uniform than necessary for peacetime demand, but that's because of the operational war requirement. we try and put those personnel in places where we can keep
4:06 pm
their skills current. and as you've heard from the other surgeons generals, when we can't do that, we do rotations. >> sorry to cut you off, just got a couple of questions. i want to get at least one more. is there a good sort of break down or something you can provide us that really gives that to us in an imper callaway? because if we make decisions about going back and saying that we've narrowed the gap, it's no longer 50%, that's the right number, then we have to understand the trade offs we have in terms of capacity and what you're preparing to deal with. i think that would be very helpful to give back to this committee as we go through and identify maybe opportunities. you and your opening statements said you're not perfect. i want to go find out where those imper fecskes are and spend the bulk of our time on this committee fixing those rather than going down a path where if we look at the data, we may agree it's a structural
4:07 pm
cause that's the cost of doing business and the unique nature of your business. general, do you have a comment? >> yes, sir. i think one thing that's always a challenge when you talk about the cost of readiness versus the cost of providing care, the two are really inextricably intertwined, so there's a lot of work we do that's operation alley driven that's clinical in nave. if you look at primary care, medical evaluation boards, annual preventive health assessments, close deplimt health assessments, all these things consume a significant amount, so it's challenging to try to look at perhaps the cost of providing care to enrollees to our clinics and cleanly cleave and separate the cost of readiness versus just the cost of providing care. so, that's one of the traditional challenges we've
4:08 pm
always had with answering this sort of question is that the two really are intertwined significantly. >> i think the key is to try and normalize it in some way that people can urns it. again, so we set the priority on the things we should improve. rather than look at things from a purely numerical bases that on the surface, may look like an opportunity to draw improouchl, but the consequences can be the opposite. which is to work with you and improve. mr. woodson, the tricare legislative proposal didn't contain i don't believe any recommended improvements for guard and reserve communities. what's in the offing there? what can we expect? >> thank you very much. for that question. because that set of proposals really requires some additional studies because i think there are several courses of action depending on what type of
4:09 pm
reservice we're talkinging about. so, let me just give you some examples to crystallize. on one hand, of course, we initiated tricare reserve select to fill a gap in what we thought was medical readiness at the height of the war and the consequence of that was that the reservice and family would have to switch insurance programs when they came on active duty. so, there is the possibility frankly of offering of course tricare reserve select and employer based options. which might be reasonable. there is the possibility as a commission talked about, providing basic allowance for health coverage and we need to sort that out. there are some hybrid options that are out there. the issue with reservice is
4:10 pm
really about not forcing them to change providers, but when they come on active duty, so there are different solutions and we need to work those out and study those more. >> thank you. thank you, mr. chair. >> senator blumenthal. >> thanks, mr. chair. as you may recall, dr. woodson and other members of the panel in the 2016 national defense authorization act, i advocated for a uniform formulary for transition from care to the va as service members transition out of active service, this measure was successfully passed and now, we're in an implementation stage. this joint formulary i think is critical to the quality of care and in fact, relates to a variety of related medical issues that may arise when there
4:11 pm
is a lack of sufficient transition in prescription drugs and other health care. what is the status of the implementation of the joint formulary from the dod perspective? >> i think there has been much progress. certainly in the areas of mental health medications, pain medications and some of those other critical medications for conditions in which a gap would create a great deal of problems. they've been mapped significantly to about the 96th percent level, so that we have a single formulary. there's a little bit more work that needs to be done on that, but there's been significant process. >> on the issue of prescription drugs, particularly painkillers and open yoids, is there an ongoing danger in the military
4:12 pm
as frankly there is in the civilian world? overprescription and overreliance on painkillers? >> well, there is. that's something that needs to be addressed. not only nationally, but within the military health system. but what i would say is that i think in that regard, we're a little bit ahead of the curve and the reason being is that for a lot of different reasons, there's been a lot of focus on the use of pain medication and so, we've developed more comprehensive strategies in terms of clinical practice guidelines, we have courses that providers must take in terms of pain management. we've invested in research and integration of alternative methods for pain control. and so, this has part of a comprehensive set of programs i think that we could even make available to some civilian health care systems. >> on the issue of mental health care. has there been progress there,
4:13 pm
do you think? >> i think there has been progress, but you know, mental health care is really the more we study it, the more we try and refine it, the more we find out about it. and if i could break this down into a couple of different issues is that oftentimes dealing with mental health care, it's more about, it's more than just delivering mental health care. it's about delivering social services and family supports and that's one issue. the other issue about mental health care is that we always have this issue about whether or not we have enough providers, but really, what we need is a comprehensive new strategy for how we em employer our mental health specialists in a rational way to deliver care. so, you know, psychiatrists, we'll never have enough pediatric psychiatrists, but if
4:14 pm
we use liz them to do screening, we make less time for evaluating complex problems, so what we need to do is work on a more rational approach to how we employ certified mental health counselors, sky kole gists, licensed psychological nurses. licensed social workers. and health care that allows us to address all the needs more comprehensi comprehensively. >> that's the strategy that you say has to be developed or is being developed? >> i think we are working on that. so, the previous panel talked about the issue of embedding mental health care and primary health care practices. we've been doing that for years. we've been embedded mental health care technicians and prak ti tisch ners in line units. we have already rolled out some of that more comprehensive
4:15 pm
strategy, but still, i think we need to array the different types of mental health professionals in a better way to take care of many different problems. >> as you know, active duty members of the military who may suffer emotional or mental diseases, some of them imem mating from combat, are sometimes given bad conduct discharges or less than honorable discharges. bad paper. and then, through a tragic irony or deprived of medical care to treat the very injury that causes their discharge under less than honorable conditions and i have sought to have those discharges reviewed. and in fact, two secretaries of defense, chuck hagel and ashton carter, have committed to change
4:16 pm
the policies of the fords of has your input been sought on that issue because there are medical issues involved in those reviews. so, the short answer senator is yes and you want me to first of all thank you for your advocacy in this area and of course for the last two years, we have actually reached out to individuals have been discharged with so-called bad paper. to let them know that their cases will be reviewed, but to the last part about your question, we have given mental health professionals these reviews so their cases can be accurately reviewed. >> thank you. my time has expired. these subjects are tremendously important and i want to thank
4:17 pm
all of the panel members for your hard work. all of the hard work done by the men and women under your commands. thank you for being here today. thank you. >> i'll be the last questioner. how many casualties have we suffered in iraq and afghanistan? not fatalitiefatalities, but in? how many people have been wounded? requiring admission to a hospital? >> senator -- >> anybody know? >> senator, depends on how you calculate those numbers. whether or not you include disease or not battle. >> doesn't matter. as long as you're in iraq and afghanistan. >> it's over 100,000. >> okay. admiral, can you imagine a military health care system that did not have a military hospital? >> sir, no, i can't.
4:18 pm
>> okay, because the dead space you have is not designed for every day activity. it's designed for wartime contingencies, is that right? >> correct. >> most of these beds are empty not because they're in peacetime, simply because they're built to deal with wartime con ten generalsies. >> those beds are not empty. we work closely with the contractor to get care back into our facilities. >> so, what percentage of your beds are occupied? >> we try to maintain 80% or higher. >> what about the air force? >> sir, we have a lower bed occupancy than that. we're more in the 50, up to 70% range. >> the army? >> sir, it varies. some of the large, ft. bragg, san antonio have higher rates. some of aur smaller facilities are a low daily patient census. those are the ones we're looking a t to realign capability there. >> so, here's my point.
4:19 pm
if we're going to reform something, we need to understand what we're trying to accomplish here. if you have civilian hospital administrators over military medical facilities, would that create a problem? >> sir, military hospitals are just like any other military command. i would not -- in the charge of the ship. in order -- zbh that's what you'd be doing, wouldn't it? >> exactly. >> hospital is a military entity and military command structure can't be substituted. >> yes, sir. good order of discipline carries over to the battlefield and starts in the hospital. >> okay, general, at the end of the day, what would happen if we opened up competition to all these military facilities? where would the military dot go? >> sir, that's a very good question because -- >> what would they do?
4:20 pm
is. >> sir, again, when you're -- >> like a dentist. like if it's cheaper to pull teeth downtown, however much it may be, like how do our dentists stay proficient in pulling teeth? >> exactly. when you say open to competition, sir, i think we are not in the same business as you know, for profit. we're here no one appears to -- be in competition. >> you treat family members of active duty personnel, right? >> yes. >> that keeps your skill level up? for retention? good for improvement? >> yes, senator. >> does every member of the military have to go through an annual physical? the answer is yes. >> yes, sir. >> isn't that primary care? >> yes, sir, it is. >> that's primary care activity that's relateded to readiness and those same doctors will be treating kids with a cold. >> yes, sir.
4:21 pm
i would add that what we do when we provide care in our mts, we are ultimately a mission support activity, so, we are supporting commanders who are conducting missions, so in the air force, it's mobility, it's the nuclear mission, it's rpa operation, cyber o p ps and so, by take i guess care of the airmen and the family in our military treatment facility, we're helping that commander take care of that family. >> so, when you say a military hospital cost 50% more to operate is that a fair compa comparison given unique nature of military medicine? >> i think it's an apples and oranges kind of comparison, sir. >> do you agree you could make things more efficient? >> absolutely. >> that's the goal, right? >> do you agree with me? that the people under your command have done historic work on behalf of the nation? >> absolutely. i want to tell everybody on this committee that in this war which
4:22 pm
has been going on for 14 years now, that would not be alive in the end -- heroes of this war as far as i'm concerned. i've been to four deployed areas where people come in who have been blown you have and it's amazing how you can put people back together again and that whole network is just literally priceless. it needs to be more efficient. any last comments? >> if i may make one in connection with making sure everyone understands that the maintenance of a military health system is essential to the defense of this nation, the point i would make and give you an example is that the mtfs are part of the force generating platform and today, there are a thousand fewer graduate medicine
4:23 pm
kag education spots than there are american medical graduates. if we were to eliminate the military treatment facilities and health system, we couldn't generate enough doctors and i would say also, nurses, but doctors to come on active duty. there just aren't enough training slots in this country, so, we must preserve this generation and must preserve the graduate education program. >> on not a happy note, i think tricare as it's design is really antiquated. i wouldn't give it a b. i'm going to be hard on y'all guys to come up with reforms, not just premium increases. we're going the make it more transparent, more accountable. because we are basically using civilian networks when it comes to retirees and their families. thank you for your service and we'll stay in touch. hearing is adjourned.
4:24 pm
4:25 pm
4:26 pm
4:27 pm
4:28 pm
hillary clinton in south carolina at a substitution on civil rights and police misconduct. joining her, the mothers of trayvon martin, sandra bland and eric gardner. later, results from the nevada republican presidential caucuses. we'll show you who won and we'll have candidate's speeches. live tonight on cspan. during campaign 2016, cspan takes you on the road to the white house as we follow the candidates on cspan, cspan radio and cspan.org. senator cruz held a campaign rally in las vegas yesterday where he was joined by talk show host glenn beck and nevada's attorney general. this is an hour and 45 minutes.
4:29 pm
hi, everybody. so it's nevada, not nevada. i grew up in washington state on the right side of the mountains. i know. how are you? so good to be with you this afternoon. here, please have a seat. have a seat. thank you so much for coming out. i want to ask you, i want to start with a question of why we're all here. why are you here today. help ted win. ted cruz. i'm, glenn beck's here, you're the one. we're here for the constitution of the united states of america. that's what we're here for. we're not here to hero worship. we're not here to see a celebrity.
4:30 pm
we are here for the constitution of the united states of america. when the president becomes president, when ted stands up to take the oath, it will not be i promise to make sure the rich pay their fair share. i promise to make sure that gays get married or don't get married. i promise to do this or that. what he said ys is i swear to protect and defend the constitution of the united states of america. and it's high time we have a president that does just that. bernie sanders, bernie sanders is connecting with a lot of people because he has diagnosed the problem. his solution is poppycock, but he says the problem is right. they talk about fair insidness,
4:31 pm
they're saying so america is equal justice. equal justice. i want to know that if i'm at the bottom of the ladder, i have the same chance to make it as the guy at the top of the ladder just because my name may be on a big, tall, gold building, no one in particular thinking of. just because my name is on a building doesn't mean that i get justice different than you. that i don't have access more you. that's basic fairness or as our americans documents say, equal justice. under the law. and that's really important. because a lot of people are angry right now. i'm a little angry with what's going on because what we've done is perverted our entire system. we have perverted capitalism, our republic to where it means nothing anymore. because quite honestly, if i did some of the things or if you did some of the things our
4:32 pm
politicians are doing in washington, we'd be in jail and that's why we're angry. because we want equal justice. if i did what hillary clinton did, i wouldn't be standing here today and that's why hillary clinton should be running for the president of cell block six and not the president of the united states. that's equal justice. that's equal justice. i look today at some of the exit polls out of south carolina. i'm telling you, we're in trouble. people made fun of me and mocked me. the gop mocked me in 1999 when i was in new york city on wabc. and i said, you have to listen to me, please, read the words of osama bin laden. there will be blood, bodies and buildings on the streets and this city and the signature will have his name on it.
4:33 pm
the csignature will be osama bi laden. and the republicans all they did was say that i was trying to help clinton win. clinton in the polls. i said, what are you doing? listen to what the man says. take people at their word. i was mocked in 2006 when i said we're headed for a crisis in the banking and housing sector. for two years, i lost stations, i lost listeners because i wouldn't shut up because it only made sense. but nobody wanted to listen and we had the crash in 2008. do you remember what they said about anybody who agreed with me that a cal fate was comeing? we were crazy. cal fate that people on television couldn't even pronounce and look at it now. of course it happened. it was only common sense at the time. please hear me. last call, america. last call. last call.
4:34 pm
right now, people are confused and they don't know where to run. they don't know what to do and we never make decisions when they're angry. you never make a good decision when you're hungry, broke, when you feel there is no option, you never make a good decision. i can't tell you the, i can't tell you ever if i ever said, oh, my gosh, i was so angry today and i made the best decision of my life. we must rinse ourselves of the anger and control the anger. control the feelings of betrayal. and look where to run. and our questions are this, these are our options. socialism. bernie sanders is saying let's run to socialism. it doesn't work. it's failed. number two, is the idea of the status quo. and the quite honestly, that's two places. i kind of put hillary clinton, well, i put her in prison, but
4:35 pm
also in the socialist category and in the status quo. the status quo is you know what? it's working for me and my family and they're varying degrees of that. there's also the status quo of i'll make a deal. i'll make the deals. i'll go with gang of eight. the status quo also is marco rubio. of and this is where our betrayal comes from. if there's anybody who knows it, it's you guys. how sick and fitired nationally and you just had it. if you give us all three of those thipgs, why, we're going to do amazing things like raise your taxes. i can get that from the democrats. what did you vote for? who are these guys? that's why we feel betrayal. that's the status quo. doesn't matter what you vote for. they'll do the same thing. that's not going to last. that leads to revolution. because that leads to more betrayal and anger.
4:36 pm
america doesn't want a revolution. then you have, i'll fix it. this is the thing i warned about when i was on fox. i said, democrats, you cannot do that. because the next guy that komss in, if he's a republican, and he takes all the power, he's going to add more to it. today, trump tweeted about the own ers of the chicago cubs and said, they better watch themselves, i've heard that they are donating money against me. quote, they better be careful. they have a lot to hide. when we are talking about bully tactics, we've lost. we've lost who we are. there is no making america great again because what makes america great, two things. america is great because america is good. if we fail to be good, we lose. and the other thing that makes america great is not a president.
4:37 pm
but it's we the people that make america great. we the people with the government off our back with a president who says i'm going to clear all this government regulation out of your lives to unleash you. to make america great again. and then the last choice we have. as people are concerned, where do i run, where do i go? the last choice you have is your first choice. the constitution of the united states of america. it's something we haven't tried in a long time. but it is the shelter from the storm. i know this because of this. this is what confused me for a long time.
4:38 pm
i didn't know, i didn't know let me start at the beginning. george washington is my hero. george washington is a man who makes me want to be a better man. he's a man who makes me believe you can be a better man. he's a man that puts things for me into perspective. that your whole life really is about service. it's not about you. it's not about your name in lights. it's not about fame. not about fortune. it's about service to others and a greater cause. george washington, his life of service started when he was 13 years old. at 13 years old, he knew what he wanted to do and thank goodness, he didn't do it, but he wanted to serve as a sailor in the royal navy. and he actually joined the navy. in those days, you could just do
4:39 pm
down to the ships and go on, i'm in the navy. and he joined the navy and he took his steamer trunk and he brought it up and sat it there on the deck of one of the, the english ships. and then he listened to his mother. who was down by the plank and she was making a scene. she was like, oh, george, please, no, please, oh, no, george, don't leave your mother, no. and all of the guys on the ship i would imagine were standing there going, i can see why you want to go to sea. and he stood there and listened to her for a while. and he picked up his steamer trunk and walked down the plank and he put it next to his mom. and he said, mother, if this is where you need me, this will where i shall stay. his days of service and self-sacrifice started at an early age.
4:40 pm
he didn't want to be president of the united states. it was a last thing he wanted to do. he wanted to be a farmer. that's all he wanted to do. just to farm his own land, mt. vernon. but first, he was called away because he had to serve in the military. they asked him to be general. he didn't want to be the general. he said, i'll make a bad general. i can't be the commander in chief. i will be bad at it and he was. up until, up until the crossing of the delaware. for six months, he lost every battle. in fact, the troops, we had 20,000 troops in july. by the time he crossed the delaware, he had less than 2,000 left. he was bad. everybody was against him. he didn't want to do it. but he did it. when the articles of confederation were weak.
4:41 pm
and the articles of confederation were falling apart because they weren't strong enough, our founders believed in a very weak central government. but it was too weak and all of the states were arguing with each other. and everything that we had fought for as americans was about to fall apart and go away. and george washington finally was on his farm. and in the middle of the night one rainy night, a horse rode through the gates of mt. vernon and the rider dismounted and got off of his horse. and knocked on the door of mt. vernon. and george washington, a simple farmer, walked to the door. and the man said, general, we need you, sir. you have to come back to philadelphia. the articles of confederation are falling apart. the nation won't last. everything that we fought for is going to be lost, sir.
4:42 pm
nobody will come, we need a convention. we need a convention of the states, we need to put together a new constitution and we can't get anybody to sit in the same room. none of them. just like washington now. none of them will sit together. nobody will talk to each other. they're too angry. they're too afraid. but we need a constitution, sir, and you are the only one. because of george washington's honor and integrity, he was the only man in america that could stand in a room and the room would fall silent just because of his presence. they knew they needed george washington. he didn't want to go. he looked the man in the eye and said, have i not yet done enough for my country?
4:43 pm
and he slammed the door. 55 years old. for the first time in his life, he said no, it's my time, my time, i want to be a farmer. and he walked back towards the stairs in my mipd's eye, i see him putting his hand on the banister of the stairway as he was about to go u back up to bed. and he did most likely what all of us do when we argue with god. because i believe i know what god said the him. no, sir, no, sir. the service to your country is not done. it's never finished. in particular, this country. how dare you, george, think you
4:44 pm
know what i, the almighty, am going to do with what you have to do in philadelphia? i will tell you right now, because of what you will do in philadelphia, somebody in this country will invent the electric lightbulb and refrigerator and soon, you will see pictures from one coast to another and then soon, somebody else will think of a phone, then somebody else will think of that phone in your hand, then combine that television with the phone and you'll be able to see moving pictures all around the globe no matter where you are, the smallest voice will be heard. some day, george, because you get off your butt and you finish the job and you do it right, men will walk on the moon. no, sir. your job is not finished. he turned around and got on to his horse. and that night, he rode to philadelphia.
4:45 pm
and he sat at the constitutional convention. and he listened to them bicker back and forth and at the end, one state was a hold out. one said, i'm sorry, i need a deal maker. i need somebody that's going to help us. i need some pork, we need to cut some deals here. franklin, who was 81 could barely walk. his pain p. his pain was so great they had to carry anymohim in a chair co with pillows because just his footsteps on the cobblestones would cause him cripplinging pain and he sat in that room all summer long listening to them and finally, he said, gentlemen, we cannot do this now. we cannot sell out. we cannot have draft and corruption. we cannot do it. look how far we've come and you know seen the finger of god. we didn't put this countrying
4:46 pm
together, we didn't beat the british, god beat the british. we were there to witness it. we must do this one thing right. and they started bickering again and what a surprise that one state, the hold out, was new york. and new york wasn't going to budge. and the room fell silent when george washington shifted in his seat. and eventually, he stood. the room fell silent and he said, let us raise a standard to which the wise and the honest can repair. now, that's colonial speak. let us raise a standard to which the wise and the honest repair
4:47 pm
for the event is in the hand of god. let us raise a standard, please. hear me. let us do this one thing right. let's do it right. so, when there comes a time in america where we start to fall apart and people don't know which way to run, to which the wise and the honest can repair, repair doesn't mean to fix it, it means the wise and the honest will run to it. let us finish this constitution without corruption, without graft. let's do this one thing in our life pure. because there's going to come a time when the wise and honest are going to know where to run and they will run to this document. this is that time. and you are the wise and the honest. so, back to this book. in his diary, george washington wrote, signed the constitution today.
4:48 pm
period. next line. i pick up my copy of don quixote. i've never understood that. hey, saved the world today and going to barnes and noble in an hour. this is george washington's copy of don quixote. this is the book he picked up that day we signed the constitution and it has always puzzled me how does this man do something that grand, then say i'm going to the bookstore. he did it because he knew. he knew they had done this one thing and they had done it right. and they had done it with god. and he fulfilled everything that the lord told him to do. do it right. do it with exactness. and he knew that the event was going to be in the hand of god.
4:49 pm
and he knew that there would come a time that the wise and the honest would have to run to the constitution. but he had done his job. he had done it right. he had done it purely. with exactness. and so, now, it's up to us. i come to you as a citizen. not as a talk show host. not as a somebody that you watched on television. i come to you as a citizen. and i ask you, let us raise a standard, let us raise a standard to which the wise and the honest can repair. we have a profound responsibility because the constitution hangs by a thread. in fact, after scalia's death, i think that thread has been cut. last call. america. last call.
4:50 pm
who are we? who do we want to be? is god finished with these rights or are there other things we can't even imagine as we stand by our banister of life?l. are there things we can't even imagine god will do with this freedom. it's our job to protect and defend the constitution of the united states of america. thank you very much. i guess i'm not done yet. a guy who's traveling with me right now, i guess he's not here
4:51 pm
yet, so -- he was standing in the back. he has to know there's a difference. this means stretch. this means wrap it up. and he was doing a little of this, so i -- any questions from anyone? honestly, let's take some questions. yes, sir. [ inaudible question ] honestly i figured this book out because of going on tour. i figured it out in iowa. i'm looking at the people face to face and i am seeing people look and think. they're not mindless rubes. and they're thinking. and they're judging. and i realized, this is it. this really is the time that george washington foresaw. and so it's been refreshing. when i was in south carolina and i went door knocking, i got into the car afterwards and i said, that cannot be helpful. how can that make a difference
4:52 pm
at all? and then i saw second place came down to, what, 500 votes. door knocking makes all the difference in the world. talking to your friends makes all the difference in the world. if everybody here got ten people to go to caucus tomorrow, everybody here, you'd change the election. it's that small of a margin. anybody thinks they're too small and they don't matter, you matter. you matter. yes. yes, ma'am. no, you in the -- yes. [ inaudible question ] -- i was angry at first and will you help me stop the anger, thank you and [ inaudible ] -- >> is that your husband sitting
4:53 pm
next to you? >> yes. >> why don't you come up and get a picture. come on. it's your anniversary. come on. will you take a picture for us? you're the next contestant on "the price is right"! yeah. will you take it? >> i have seven children and six are voting and i have two grand babies. thank you. thank you. >> okay. now, now he tells me, no, now he's serious they're here. i'm only here for the free food. the real speaker comes out here in a second. i want to introduce somebody that you guys know. he's your attorney general.
4:54 pm
it's adam latsek -- laxell, i'm sorry. i was thinking lax -- no. sheesh, for the love of pete. i spoke to him yesterday. he is really truly one of the guys that you should thank your lucky stars that you have. there are very few republicans it seems in your state. and adam is really a guy who is just dirt strong and not going to move, and that's what we need. we need people like ted cruz no matter what the storm and adam laxell who won't move no matter what the storm is. that's who we need. ladies and gentlemen, adam laxell. >> thank you. >> thank you. >> big round for glenn -- what's his name again?
4:55 pm
well, thank you all very much, las vegas, for coming out today. i think we all know the stakes of this election. that's why all of you are here. that's why we've had a record turnout in every state coming into nevada. the stakes couldn't be higher for our country. and many of you know that when i ran in a race that couldn't be won, i ran as a constitutional conservative. someone that could be a check to president obama. thank you. someone that could be a check to president obama's virtually unlimited trashing of our u.s. constitution. at every turn we wake up and our constitution gets destroyed. our federal government gets bigger and less accountable, which, of course, hurts us here 3,000 miles away from washington, d.c. so, for me getting involved in
4:56 pm
this presidential was really important. i wanted to find the candidate that was most going to be able to defend our constitution, protect our liberties. all these things that are under assault, religious liberty, our second amendment rights -- which many of you may know. there was a big decision supreme court a few years ago that was a 5-4 decision that told us what we've known for 225 years that we do have a second amendment right to bear arms. but think about that. one vote different and somehow our constitution doesn't mean what it says. that's the stakes we have right now, and we cannot afford to lose an election. so, for me, having someone grounded in the constitution, someone like ted cruz who has
4:57 pm
spent every day of his life working for the constitution. in fact, little-known story at age 13 he had memorized the constitution and toured the state of texas telling texans how the constitution was the staple of the american republic. it's what gave us our liberties, what made us the country where for me i come from sheepherders in nevada. ted cruz's father as you may know came from cuba with $100 in his pocket. this is that great american dream nation that we've all fought for. many of us in places like iraq and afghanistan. and we are now at a crossroads. and ted cruz understands that our constitution is essential to our freedoms, to our liberties. and he also is someone that's
4:58 pm
argued nine cases in front of the u.s. supreme court. which is nine more than all 15 candidates, when we had 15 candidates, combined. we understands we cannot afford to get a supreme court justice wrong ever again. we can't afford to get federal judges ever again. and how hard is this? we're looking for judges that uphold the constitution. and follow the law. we're looking for judges that don't make law from the bench. so, ted cruz has pledged that he will personally interview every nominee for the u.s. supreme court. i've never heard that before from a president. and if you didn't know, he was actually a clerk for the chief justice on the supreme court,
4:59 pm
the beginning of his legal career. he was behind the curtain. he knows what makes these guys tick. he will make sure that we get someone with a fidelity for the constitution and understands what a bedrock it is for all of us, for all of our liberties. if judges are making policies for us, then none of us have any power. that is not our system. i firmly believe ted cruz is best swate ituated to defend ou constitution, and return us back to what glenn beck was talking about, a nation of ordered liberty with divided powers so places like nevada we can do our own destiny. we don't need to rely on washington to tell us our future. the next important thing for me, i served in iraq. iñi consider myself the -- i'm for those of you who don't know.
5:00 pm
and i'm part of this new generation that decided if we don't get in this fight, if we don't try to save our country now, where are we going to be in ten years. at this rate where we going to be in five years. it seems to be exponential. it's not just this room that feels that. it's millions and millions of americans, even bernie sanders is tapping that same sentiment of what is going on in washington, what are they doing to our country. so, i feel like we need to elect the young conservative leadership that is going to lead our party in the right direct n direction. and i believe, like ronald reagan and my grandfather, who was the only u.s. senator to support ronald reagan for president when he ran against a sitting republican president joe ford. the reason they supported reagan
5:01 pm
is they thought he was going to be different. and they said, reagan can't be elected. he's too conservative. he's too bold. he's too strident. we all know how that story ended, right? we need that now more than ever. and if we're going to face hillary from prison or bernie sanders for socialism, we need someone that's going to be able to contrast sharply with the both of them. and there's no smarter man in all of washington than ted cruz. the last piece of my reason for endorsing ted cruz goes back to the protection of this great country. we have seen an unprecedented -- unprecedented amount of troubles
5:02 pm
around the world. and why are we seeing such troubles? president obama began his tour as a president doing what? he firmly believed the only reason people don't like us, the reason people hate us are why? because we're not nice enough. we don't reach out enough. if only we just were more diplomatic, the world would be a safer place. that was seven years ago. does anyone think the world is a safer place today? we've abandoned our allies. i was in the navy, we're the smallest navy we've been in decades. the smallest air force, the smallest marine corps, the smallest army. i could tell you there's nothing more gut wrenching to see our marines and our army at the --
5:03 pm
at the force levels they were 15 years ago doing three, four, five, and six tours abroad. think of all of you with families. your husband or your wife being gone for four straight years of seven years of your family's lives. and somehow we're shrinking our military at this time? it absolutely makes no sense. so, ted cruz has rolled out a plan to rebuild our military. he wants to get all four branches back to a level where we can do what reagan fought far. it was called peace through strength. as i firmly believe us being strong does not make the world like us less. it simply is going to keep us in
5:04 pm
america safe, and we need that badly now. so, ted cruz has pledged -- which is slightly different than the other candidates in the field. we need to use our military to protect our national interest. if we have threats abroad, we need to call them out -- radical islamic terrorism. that is what we face. and like ronald reagan, calling out -- what did he call out in the early '80s? the evil empire. until you can call out your enemy -- and by the way, he was panned by every single intellectual, think tank, media person, you can't call them the evil empire. we need to get along with these people. and he didn't budge an inch. and what happened?
5:05 pm
the berlin wall fell. the unimaginable happened. so, ted cruz believes we need a strong military. we need to be able to go in there and fight, but we do not need to be in the business of nation building. it's a step too far. and that's the trap we fell into in the wars that we fought in. go in, win the battle. and don't try to change a region. so, for all these reasons i think ted cruz is the guy that's perfectly situated to lead our party, is that bold conservative, that consistent conservative that went to washington to represent millions of texans. and they went -- they sent him there to be a voice for conservative values.
5:06 pm
and has he budged an inch? he has not budged an inch. does that make you popular in washington? cruz is the guy that every day he's been in washington has been fighting against the status quo. and we need that now more than ever. so, as you make your decision here the next 24 hours, we have the chance in nevada to cast our caucus ballot for who we want to represent our party in the future. who we want to go against hillary clinton and bernie sanders. and i submit to you there is no one better qualified, better prepared, and more intellectually capable to lead us in this general election. with now i'm going to run a short video before we bring the man on.
5:07 pm
>> the first candidate to officially get in the race for president, no exploratory committee, no mulling the pros and cons, senator ted cruz of texas will announce tomorrow he is all in. >> today, i am announcing that i'm running for president of the united states.
tv-commercial
5:08 pm
>> ted cruz is the most conservative candidate running. the most consistently conservative candidate running. >> i think ted cruz is a rock star. cruz is like the conscience of a conservative in a senate that is gutless, timid and you to wardly. >> if you are looking for the candidate that's most opposed to liberalism, it's ted cruz. >> how about talking about the substantive issues?
5:09 pm
♪ ♪
5:10 pm
>> and now i'd like to introduce our next nominee for president of the united states, ted cruz! ♪ ♪ ♪ well if you ask me where i come from ♪ ♪ here's what i tell everyone ♪ i was born by god's dear grace ♪
5:11 pm
♪ in an extraordinary place ♪ with the stars and stripes and the eagle flies ♪ ♪ it's a big old land with countless dreams ♪ ♪ happiness ain't out of reach ♪ hard work pays off the way it should ♪ ♪ yeah i've seen enough to know that we've got it good ♪ ♪ where the stars and stripes and the eagle flies ♪ >> god bless the great state of nevada. it is wonderful to be here today.
5:12 pm
thank you for coming out. let me say thank you to the men and women of nevada for electing a strong principled constitutionalist warrior like attorney general adam laxell. you know, adam's grandfather was a legend. adam's grandfather stood by ronald reagan when all of washington didn't want to see reagan go to washington. and when adam ran for attorney general the entire political establishment did not want him to win. they fought against him with every tool they can. they came after him hard. but adam got elected by standing with courageous conservatives all across the state of nevada.
5:13 pm
and i am proud that adam is a friend. i'm proud that he is chairing our campaign here in the great state of nevada. and how about glenn beck? isn't he phenomenal? look, glenn -- [ inaudible ] he is so passionate. he's so principled. he loves the constitution. he loves freedom. and i'll tell you, every time i hear glenn speak i learn something. you know, when glenn pulls out his whiteboard, when he starts
5:14 pm
walking people through -- glenn is an educator. when he starts walking people through the principles of the framers of our constitution, the principles that built america, the principles of american exceptionalism, it's one thing to say you want to make america great again. even print a baseball cap with that written on it. it's another thing to understand the principles that made america great in the first place. and i will tell you i'm so proud to be standing shoulder to shoulder with my friend glenn beck. you know, you can learn a lot by looking to the history, to the
5:15 pm
roots, of a given word. if you look at the word polit s politics, the word has two parts. poly, meaning many, and ticks meaning blood-sucking parasites. and that is a fairly accurate description of washington, d.c. you know, we're joined here today also by my friend california congressman dana rohrabacher. like nevada's paul laxell, dana was with ronald reagan from the very beginning. dana, in fact, as a young speechwriter, one of my favorite stories about dana, is that he went and camped out on ronald
5:16 pm
reagan's backyard, slept in his backyard, back before reagan was elected to anything. came and just said, mr. reagan, i want to work for you. and they were sending him away. what are you doing? who is this guy? reagan heard him and said, hold on, if he slept in my backyard, let me at least talk to him. and he became one of ronald reagan's key speech writers, one of his key trusted advisers. now for many years he's represented the state of california in congress and he's a man that values liberty and the constitution more than going along to get along in washington. there is a reason dana and i both need food tasters in the members dining room. and i will say one of the striking things, if you look at the people, at the courageous
5:17 pm
conservatives that have come together behind our campaign, whether it's dana, whether it's adam, whether it's glenn, the consistent pattern is these are men and women that love this country, that are committed to the constitution, and are willing to speak the truth no matter what the price. the truth has power. and speaking the truth with a smile drives washington crazy. thank you, sir. let me tell you, i could not be more encouraged, more optimistic than i am right now. every one of us is here today because our country's in crisis. because we're bankrupting our kids and grandkids.
5:18 pm
because our constitutional rights are under assault each and every day. and because america has receded from leadership in the world, and it has made the world a much more dangerous place. and yet in spite of all of that, i am here with a word of hope and encouragement. all across this country people are waking up, sometimes things have to get really bad to startle people out of their slumber, and i want to tell you, there is a spirit of awakening that is sweeping this country. so, i want to ask everyone here to look forward. look forward to january, 2017. if i am elected president, let me tell you what i intend to do
5:19 pm
on the first day in office. the first thing i intend to do is rescind every single illegal and unconstitutional executive action taken by this president. the second thing i intend to do on the first day in office is instruct the u.s. department of justice to open an investigation in to planned parenthood and to prosecute any and all criminal conviction. the third thing i intend to do on the first day in office is instruct the department of justice and the irs and every
5:20 pm
other federal agency that the persecution of religious liberty ends today. that means that every serviceman and woman has the right to seek out and worship god almighty with all their heart, minds and souls and their superior officer has nothing to say about it. the fourth thing, i intend to do, is rip to shreds this catastrophic iranian nuclear deal.
5:21 pm
and the fifth thing i intend to do on the first day in office is begin the process of moving the american embassy in israel to jerusalem, the once and eternal capital of israel. now that's day one. in the days that follow i will nominate a strong, principled constitutionalist to replace justice antonin scalia on the u.s. supreme court. you know, just two days ago i had the privilege of attending justice scalia's funeral.
5:22 pm
justice scalia was a lion of the law. he was someone who i knew personally for 20 years. he was brilliant. he was passionate. he was a voluble italian. his wife, maureen, irish. and let me tell you, being myself, cuban, irish, and italian, that is a dangerous combination. but justice scalia loved the constitution and spent three decades fighting to defend the constitution on the supreme court each and every day. as ronald reagan was to the presidency, so, too, was justice scalia to the u.s. supreme court.
5:23 pm
and his passing underscores the stakes of this election. it is not one branch of government but two that hang in the balance. we are one liberal justice away from the supreme court mandating unlimited abortion on demand all across this country with no restrictions whatsoever. we are one liberal justice away from the supreme court reading the second amendment out of the bill of rights. let me tell you, justice scalia's most significant majority opinion was heller versus the district of columbia. now, i know that case very, very well because i represented 31ñi states in heller defending the second amendment right to keep and bear arms, and we won 5-4.
5:24 pm
5-4. we're one justice away from the court concluding that no individual here has any individual right to keep and bear arms whatsoever. you know, in texas before i was in the senate i was the solicitor general of texas, the chief lawyer for the state in front of the u.s. supreme court. we defended the ten commandments monument on the state capitol grounds. we went to the supreme court, and we won 5-4. we are one liberal justice away from the supreme court ordering ten commandments monuments torn down all over this country. and i'll tell you the most significant case i argued as solicitor general was called
5:25 pm
medie medieen. two teenage girls were horribly assaulted and murdered by gang members, and one of those gang members was an illegal immigrant who confessed to the crime in grisly details, was convicted of that horrible murder. but the case took a very strange turn, because the world court, the judicial arm of the united nations, issued an order to the united states to reopen the convictions of 51 murderers in this country. never before has any foreign court tried to bind the u.s. justice system. texas stood up, and we fought the world court in the united nations. i argued this case twice in front of the u.s. supreme court. on the other side was the world court, was the united nations,
5:26 pm
was 90 foreign nations and was the president of the united states. and i'm sorry to tell you, it wasn't barack obama. it was george w. bush. now, my wife heidi and i, we met back in 2000 working on the bush campaign. we were actually one of eight marriages came out of that campaign. so, a lousy joke that i've told many, many times, whatever anyone else says about george w. bush, in our house he will always be a uniter and not a divider. but in this instance president bush received some very, very poor advice. and he signed a two-paragraph order that attempted to order the state courts to obey the world court. now, i'll tell you it was an
5:27 pm
interesting conversation i had with my boss at the time, the attorney general, greg abbott, now the governor of texas. it was an unusual thing for texas to be opposing the president of the united states before the u.s. supreme court particularly when that president was a texan, was a republican, was our former governor and was a friend. and yet i'm proud to tell you that twice i went before the u.s. supreme court and argued, number one, neither the world court nor the united nations have any jurisdiction whatsoever in the united states of america. and number two, no president, democrat or republican, has the constitutional authority to give away u.s. sovereignty.
5:28 pm
and we won 6-3. and in the final iteration of the case it, too, dropped down to 5-4. we're one justice away. from the supreme court concluding that the united nations and the world court can bind our justice system. we are one justice away from the supreme court subjecting us to international law and taking away sovereignty which vests in one place and one place only -- we the people. and i think justice scalia's passing has elevated the assessment that the men and women of nevada are making.
5:29 pm
as you look at the very fine individuals standing on that debate stage, the question to ask that i believe the people of nevada are asking is who do i know. beyond a shadow of a doubt, who do i know will nominate strong, conservative justices that will protect my rights. and i give you my word that every justice i appoint to the supreme court will be a principled constitutionalist who will ferociously defend the bill of rights for your children and my children. in the days that follow i will go to congress, and we will repeal every word of obamacare.
5:30 pm
we'll pass commonsense health care reform that makes health insurance personal and portable and affordable and keeps government from getting in between us and our doctors. i will instruct the u.s. department of education that common core ends today. and we will finally, finally, finally secure the borders and end sanctuary cities.
5:31 pm
let me talk to all the men and women here in nevada that are facing struggling economic situations. that are facing a lack of jobs, that are seeing their hours forcibly reduced to part time, that are seeing their wages stagnating rather than going up. illegal immigration is a powerful anchor pulling down wages of working americans. taking away jobs. and i will tell you of the individuals on that stage, i am the only person who led the fight against amnesty and will secure the borders and protect the jobs of the american people. in the days that follow we will rebuild our military.
5:32 pm
and we will honor the solemn commitments made to every soldier and sailor and airman and marine. that includes fundamentally reforming the va so that every veteran has the right to choose his or her doctor. that includes protecting the second amendment right to keep and bear arms of every serviceman and woman. and one of the most shameful aspects of the last seven years was the president over and over again sending our fighting men and women into combat with rules
5:33 pm
of engagement that tie their arms behind their back and make it impossible for them to win. mark my words, on january, 2017, that will end. america has always been reluctant to engage in military conflict. we are slow to anger. but if and when military force is needed, we should use overwhelming force, kill the enemy, and then get the heck out. in the days that follow we will take on the epa.
5:34 pm
and the blm. and the cfpb and the alphabet soup of federal agencies that have descended on locusts like farmers and ranchers and small businesses, killing jobs all over this country. thank you, sir, for being here. thank you very much, sir, for being here. thank you for expressing your views. one of the great things of the first amendment is that even it allows bernie sanders supporters to come to our events. and let me say, sir, you have a first amendment right to express your views, but at the same time 85% of the state of nevada is owned by the federal government. that will end if i am president
5:35 pm
of the united states. there is no reason on earth the federal government should be the largest landlord in the united states of america. in texas the federal government owns 2% of the land and we think that's 2% too much. and you have my commitment that as president we will transfer that federal land back to the state and back to the people of nevada. and i would note that is an
5:36 pm
issue on mr. trump and i disagree. mr. trump has publicly said he thinks the federal government should continue to control that land, to own that land. i trust the people of nevada more than the bureaucrats in washington. and in the days that follow i will go to congress, and we will pass a simple flat tax. so that every american can fill out our taxes on a postcard. and when we do that, we should abolish the irs.
5:37 pm
you know, the media tries to tell us that the obama/clinton economy is the new normal. that stagnation is what we should come to expect, that there's nothing better. we have the lowest percentage of americans working today since 1977. wages have been frozen for 20 years. median wages today are the same as they are -- as they were in 1996. now, that have been driven by illegal immigration, that washington refuses to solve, and that has been driven by economic policies that hammer the living daylights out of small businesses. small businesses are the heart of the economy. you want stagnation, hammer them like we have the last seven years. you want economic growth, unchain small businesses, and we will see booming economic growth.
5:38 pm
single moms struggling to feed their kids, working two, three, four part-time jobs because obamacare doesn't let them work full time. seeing their wages held stagnant, driven down. all of that can turn around. and if we do the two major legislative initiatives i'm campaigning on, if we repeal obamacare and pass a flat tax, we will see millions and millions of high-paying jobs. people struggling being able to achieve the american dream. listen, for me, just like you, the american dream is personal. it's not something we read about in a school book. it's personal to our lives, to
5:39 pm
our families. you know, for me i think about my dad. my dad was born and raised in cuba. and as a kid he fought in the cuban revolution. he was imprisoned and tortured in cuba. as a teenager my father found himself on the floor of a cuban jail cell. covered in mud and blood and grime. his nose was broken. his teeth were shattered out of his mouth. and he remembers thinking, i don't have any kids. it doesn't matter if i live or i die. but thankfully god had different plans for my father. he was released from that jail cell, and he fled to america, coming here in 1957. fleeing bautista. he was just 18 years old.
5:40 pm
couldn't speak english. had nothing. had $100 sewn into his underwear. i don't actually advise carrying money in your underwear. and he got a job washing dishes, making 50 cents an hour. and he worked seven days a week. he paid his way through school. he and my mom went on to start a small business. so, i grew up in texas as the son of two small business owners. i saw the ups and downs, the triumphs and challenges of running a small family business. today, my dad is a pastor. he travels the country preaching the gospel. when i was a kid, my dad used to say to me over and over again, when we faced oppression in c a cuba, i had a mace to flee to. if we lose our freedom here,
5:41 pm
where do we go. you know, it's an interesting comment the gentleman made, the liberals can go to cuba. you know, obama is going to cuba. it would be nice if he just decided to stay. i mean, if he's trying to turn america into a communist dictatorship, there's one just 90 miles away. you know, i'm reminded of a comment ronald reagan made during the cold war, something liberals never seemed to notice on the berlin wall the machine guns all pointed one direction. nobody was fleeing freedom
5:42 pm
saying let me into the oppression of communism. and let me tell you to all the youthful idiots -- it's a big category -- whether it's the media, whether it's the academy, whether it's the intelligentsia, all the useful idiots that lionize the paradise that is cuba, have you ever noticed the rafts are all going in one direction. show me one person down in the florida keys that turns an automobile into a boat and heads south. freedom is real, and it's personal, and it's what we are here fighting for. now, some of you may be wondering can we do it. can it happen.
5:43 pm
well, you know, scripture tells us there's nothing new under the sun. i think where we are today is very, very much like the late 1970s, like the jimmy carter administration. same failed economic policy. same feckless and naive foreign policy. in fact, the exact same countries -- russia and iran. openly laughing at and mocking the president of the united states. now, why is it that that analogy gives me so much hope and optimism? because we know how that story ended. all across this country millions of men and women rose up and became the reagan revolution.
5:44 pm
and it didn't come from washington. washington despised ronald reagan. by the way, you want to know which candidate will take on washington? just ask the simple question, who is washington attacking. the reagan revolution came from the american people, and it turned this country around. why am i so optimistic? because the same thing is happening again. all across this country people are waking up. and let me tell you, nevada has a powerful voice in that process. we are 30 hours away from the nevada caucuses. tomorrow night nevada has a voice. now, listen historically not that many people come out.
5:45 pm
last cycle it was 32,000 people came to the caucuses. that means every one of you has a voice, where you are speaking for hundreds if not thousands, if not millions of courageous conservatives across this country when you come out tomorrow night and cast your vote. and so if you agree with me that it is now or never, that the stakes have never been higher, that we are standing at the edge of a cliff staring down, and if we keep going the same direction, we risk doing irreparable damage to the greatest country in the history of the world. then i want to ask each of you not just to commit to come tomorrow night and vote, but to pick up the phone and call your mom. it's actually a good idea to call your mom anyway. call your sister or your son or
5:46 pm
your next-door neighbor, your college roommate or your business partner, say this election matters. matters to me. it matters to my kids. i want to ask every one of you to bring nine other people tomorrow night. you got 30 hours to find nine other people to come out. if you have done that, you will have voted ten times. let me say to those of you who are not yet 18, if you get ten other people to show up tomorrow night and vote, you will have turned -- you will have voted ten times before you turn 18 years old. and if you look around at the men and women here, if everyone here brings nine other people tomorrow night, the people standing in this gymnasium tonight, right now, can
5:47 pm
literally change the outcome and control the outcome of the nevada caucuses tomorrow night. you've got 30 hours to let your voice be heard and heard on a national stage, where you have an opportunity to make a real and meaningful difference. you know, it took jimmy carter to give us ronald reagan. and i am convinced the most long-lasting legacy of barack obama is going to be a new generation of leaders in the republican party who stand and fight for freedom, who stand and fight for the constitution, and who stand and fight for the judeo-christian values that built this country into the greatest country in the history
5:48 pm
of the world. thank you. and god bless you.
5:49 pm
>> steal bernie sanders' thunder, steal it. >> we're working to do that. >> you know what i mean? wall street banks, steal it. >> thank you, thank you for being here.
5:50 pm
>> will i be getting my check for having to pay the penalty for obamacare, do i get that ob? will i get that from you? i want it from somewhere. will i get it from hill dog, the bern? >> i appreciate it. we will do everything we can to defend this country. all of us would love a world without nuclear weapons. but there are dangerous people
5:51 pm
in the world. and the first thing as commandener chief -- >> how many do we need to defend that? >> thank you so much. >> mr. cruz. >> thank you. >> i would love to work for your administration. >> i live paycheck to paycheck and now that i have to pay the penalty, i have to get a second job to pay the penalty. so do i get the money back from the money i have to pay?
5:52 pm
when do i get my check back? i can't wait. because the irs wants it by april. i don't have that long. >> sorry. i have a very upset baby. >> okay. >> oh, what a beautiful family. >> thank you so much. >> look in the camera. >> look in the camera. >> thank you so much. >> thank you, sir, for being here. >>.
5:53 pm
>> guys, guys. i need everybody to back up. back up. >> thank you very much.
5:54 pm
>> we're going to get out of the way. >> thank you so much. we really appreciate it. >> western in the six shooters. >> good point, sir. thank you, sir. >> one question. you show all those liberals the cemeteries where our military are dead. >> yes, thank you. >> give it a minute. >> sorry.
5:55 pm
>>. >> i wanted to make sure i'm understanding your question. >> military style civilian -- all across count try. >> i led the effort and sent it to end the collection of data for all law-abiding citizens. >> they have done a good job oversees why are they -- >> we need to protect the right guys.aes why are they -- >> we need to protect the right guys.s why are they -- >> we need to protect the right guys. >> i'm all for survey leps, but not military style.iy leps, but not military style.ly leps, but not military style.ay leps, but not military style.ny leps, but not military style.cy leps, but not military style.ey leps, but not military style. l, but not military style.leps, but not military style., but not military style.yilance, but
5:56 pm
not military style.lance, but not military style.lance, but not military style.ilance, but not military style. >> i got my family. >> part zabship and corruption. >> thank you. >> thank you.i zabship and corr. >> thank you. >> thank you.s zabship and corruption. >> thank you. >> thank you.a zabship and corruption. >> thank you. >> thank you.n zabship and corruption. >> thank you. >> thank you.zabship and corruption. >> thank you. >> thank you.ship and corruptio. >> thank you. >> thank you. >> thank you very much. >> god has chosen you. you have shown us you're the one -- >> we will do this together. all standing together.
5:57 pm
thank you for your leadership. >> can you sign this for me? >> sure. >> thank you very much. >> thank you. >> senator? >> thank you, sir. >> we're doing it together. thank you, sir. thank you very much. thank you. >> thank you, mr. cruz. i appreciate everything. my dad is a veteran in texas. he loves you. >> thank you for his service. and tell him thank you. >> i will. >>.
5:58 pm
>> thank you. ♪ ♪ >> thank you. thank you, sir.
5:59 pm
>> thank you so much. thank you. >> hey, how you doing, sir? >> good. >> thank you. thank you, very much. >> how you doing, sir?
6:00 pm
>> thank you. >> we're in everybody else's picture. >> get you some more delegates, senator. >> thank you. makes a huge difference. >> we're from california. >> thank you for being here. god bless you. >> this is my wife.

90 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on