Skip to main content

tv   Key Capitol Hill Hearings  CSPAN  January 22, 2016 10:00am-12:01pm EST

10:00 am
>> tim kaine will be campaigning for hillary clinton and i will. you have live coverage of his appearance in davenport. up tomorrow, the third day of road to the white house coverage with a town hall
10:01 am
featuring jeb bush, chris christie, and marco rubio. that will be live tomorrow at 10:00. it's a rally for ted cruz with glenn back. that will be held in iowa. it will be here on c-span. count down is on. we are the only place where you can watch these events unfold. rally ort's a campaign a policy speech, nobody is going to give you that unfiltered look at the candidates as they work crowd and talk to voters. we are going to be crisscrossing iowa for the next couple of days. we will be covering all the candidates.
tv-commercial
10:02 am
we will be the only network that takes you to a caucus. if you've ever wondered how it all happens, what c-span. >> bernie sanders is now leading hillary clinton and i would. cnn poll shows the sender -43.s hillary clinton 51 we will be watching him at a town hall meeting in new hampshire last night. ad being showed heavy sanders campaign.
10:03 am
♪ >> i am bernie sanders and i approve this message. senator sanders in new hampshire last night.
10:04 am
>> what a pleasure to be here. you only have to wait a couple more minutes. the main act will arrive. ok? we're just sort of warming you up. we get one vermonter after another here to sort of get you in the model because we know that there's nothing that people from new hampshire like more than having people from vice president come and tell them what to think about the world. it really is good to be here. now, i was in burlington on the day in june when bernie announced his candidacy. i got to introduce him then a little bit too and it was -- you know, it was bernie and it was the other two one-name vermonters. ben and jerry were on hand also and they introduced him. it was good. it was really great.
10:05 am
all kinds of good feeling and -- but, you know, truth be told, did any of us there really, truly in our heart of hearts believe that six months later he was going to be kind of winning this thing? [applause] yeah, you know -- we didn't completely believe that, you know, it didn't feel a lot like the 2015 patriots. it felt a little more like the 2004 red sox. possible but not -- by no means a guarantee. but, you know, the last six or seven months has been incredibly exciting and it's partly because of bernie himself but mostly because of the response that there's been all over the place and i've tried a few times to kind of figure out what accounts for that response.
10:06 am
why people everywhere are catching on and i'll give you just three possibilities for me before i stop. the first is that people really somehow just understand his authenticity. now, you know, we in vermont have had long experience of it so we have no doubt and you have to know -- it's a small state. even smaller than new hampshire. there's no way if he were a fake or a phony, he would have been found out long ago. everybody in vermont, if even if they don't agree with him understands that he is the absolute real deal. he's been to the end of every dirt road and out to every town meeting. [applause] and people know -- every politician there ever was says that he's for the little guy.
10:07 am
everybody gets that bernie actually is. and that's a good sign. the second thing is, i think part of the thing is he's been offering big solutions to big problems and there's something very realistic about that that we're starting to respond to because we have big problems. maybe two above all that people really -- he's been highlighting. one is the crazy inequality in the world that we live in there was a study last week that showed that the richest 62 people on planet earth have more assets than the poorest 3 1/2 billion people on planet earth. so 62 people is about the first eight rows here, ok? those people, more money -- it's as if every one of them had won the powerball two weeks ago. that's it. that's all the money -- that's not a sustainable world.
10:08 am
you can't keep it together like that much longer and you definitely can't keep the world together in the face of the other problem that he's been talking about, climate change. we found out yesterday, as we suspected, that 2015 had been the hottest year ever measured on this planet and not by a little, by a lot. and we're all starting to sense this. in burlington it was 68 degrees on christmas eve, ok? and it felt weird and spooky and not right at all. but all over the world now the consequences are feting so real. the story that's been haunting me all week in the newspapers, and i don't know if anyone else has been following this yet but it's this emerging disease in south america and latin america called zika. a mosquito-born disease that spreading rapidly because of the warm world that we're building for them. this is gruesome.
10:09 am
4,000 babies were born in brazil last year with shrunken heads because their mothers had been bitten by one of those mosquitoes during their pregnancy. the health ministers of brazil and colombia and jamaica today advised women not to become pregnant for the time being. it's like a science fiction story and something like that plays out around the world now every day with this cycle of drought and flood and things. it's a huge problem and it's not going to yield to tiny one step at a time baby step solutions. it's going to take the kind of focus and energy that bernie -- they asked him at a debate what's the biggest problem facing the world and he said flat-out it's probably climate change. that was indicative of the kind of focus it's going to take to
10:10 am
deal with these kind of issues. the third reason, i think, and maybe the most important that people are responding is because he has said over and over and over again that it's not about him. it's about building a movement, ok? that can make real change happen. in fact, the cruelest thing you could do would be to elect him president and walk away and leave it to do him by itself.8 it's going to take a movement to make things happen. when real things have to happen, history shows it only happen when people build movements and it can happen, even when the olds don't look good. i'll just close by telling you this story about the beginnings
10:11 am
of this fight against the keystone pipeline four years ago. we felt he had no real chance and no one else did either. everyone said big oil never loses this kind of fight. at the beginning, when no one in washington wanted anything to do with this, they had to stand up to the richest companies on earth. the only senator who would help us, the only one, was bernie
10:12 am
sanders. [applause] and he couldn't have been more forthright and tough and helpful and committed all the way through, not because it was going to do him any favors. it just caused him more trouble, but because he knew it was the right thing and because he believes in the power of movements to change things and now you guys are part of the movement that's going to change things in a big way. [applause] and it's exciting as hell. those of us who live on the other side of the connecticut river look with some jealousy at you guys. it was very good of thomas jefferson and the founding fathers to stipulate that new hampshire would be the most important part of our political system and get to decide the presidency, you know.
10:13 am
that was -- and i'm always impressed when i come here with how seriously people take it but more seriously this year than ever. you guys for the next two or three weeks have superpowers. you can do amazing things as you knock on doors and as you spread the world and if you do, then you will send bernie sanders out of new hampshire with the same kind of gift that the mainstream media has given donald trump for the last six or eight months. you'll make him absolutely -- everyone will have to deal with him, you know. it will be inescapable. you'll do that work, ok? and it's so important to do it. and so much fun, because it represents actual hope for the future. i couldn't be more pleased to just come vouch for this guy. i'm going to introduce one more person to introduce him.
10:14 am
someone who can vouch for him even better than i can. this is his son levi, the son of the next president of the united states. [applause] >> thanks very much for coming. it was a really great speech, bill. my name is levi sanders and i live in claremont with my wife and three children, the last 12 years in claremont, new hampshire. the person i'm going to introduce, i know him just a little teeny built. he's my father. i have a hard time articulating what bernie sanders means to the
10:15 am
people of america. he is someone who gives people hope that things can change and there can be a better america, an america where you can make a living wage and not have to work two and sometimes three jobs just to make ends meet, an america where you can bo to public colleges and universities tuition-free, an america where racial profiling and police brutality is a thing of the past. [applause] we as a country should be able to live in a democracy where the whole size of your wallet does not dictate whether you can run for political office. [applause] plus we demand that we live in a society in which we don't have to debate whether we should have clean air and water.
10:16 am
[applause] i could go on and on to talk about what bernie sanders means to this country. but i only have two minutes. but this is not about bernie sanders this is about each and every one of us. please give a warm welcome to bernie sanders, the next president of the united states. [applause] senator sanders: thank you. whoa, thank you. thank you so much.
10:17 am
love you too. thank you so much for coming out this evening. this is a wonderful, wonderful turnout. uh, let me also thank my dear friend bill mckavin. i trust all of you know that bill is not only an outstanding writer -- he really is a great writer -- and not only the subject matter that he deals with so thoroughly. he really writes very, very well but bill is also not just one of the leaders of the movement to combat climate change in this country. bill is one of the international leaders. he founded, as you know, 350.org, which has played a role all over the world in bringing people to stand up in the fight to save our planet.
10:18 am
[applause] and when bill talks about organizing at the grassroots level, there's nobody i know who does it better than he does. about a year and a half ago, i think it was, we were in new york city. 400,000 people, a lot of young people, a lot of people of color, people from all over the world were marching to demand that congress and governments all over this planet recognize the seriousness of what we are going through now and move aggressively to transform our energy system away from fossil fuel to energy efficiency and sustainable energy. [applause]
10:19 am
so when you hear from bill, you're hearing from a guy who is an international leader on one of the most important issues facing our country. and i'm going to get into that in a moment. but let me say a few words about our campaign before i get into the thrust of my remarks. we began this campaign about nine months ago. and when we began, we had no money, no organization, and frankly, my name recognition around much of the country was not very high. a lot of the media pundits were saying bernie sanders combs his hair outstandingly. i want some recognition. i just got a haircut here. my wife said enough is enough. so we did that.
10:20 am
and this campaign was considered to be a fringe candidacy. interesting, but not significant. i think a lot has happened in nine months. [applause] with your help, we have a real shot to win here in new hampshire. we are doing better and better in iowa. a recent poll had us ahead in iowa. [applause] and i think it is fair to say that we have a lot of momentum. we will win in iowa and in new hampshire if there is a large voter turnout. if working people and young people and older people decide that it is important enough to
10:21 am
make a statement. making a statement that will be heard not only all across our country but all over the world. in the statement is that we have had enough of establishment politics. we need to move in a new and bold direction. [applause] now when you come within a week or two weeks or 2.5 weeks of an election, he suddenly start hearing a lot of strange things being said. and one of the things that my opponent is saying is that bernie sanders is unelectable. he cannot defeat a republican candidate in the general
10:22 am
election. so it gives me pleasure to give you some fact that that might not be the case. here in your state of new hampshire, she ran here in 2008 and is working hard now. when we were compared in a recent poll just the other day in terms of how well we would do against republican candidates, this is results from new hampshire. secretary clinton loses to marco rubio by one point. we beat him by 18 points. [applause] secretary clinton and governor kasich are tied.
10:23 am
we need basic by 21 points. [applause] and here is my favorite. my good, good friend donald trump. we beat him by 23 points. [applause] [applause] all of which reaffirms my love for the smart people of the state of new hampshire. the results are not quite as strong but they are also strong in iowa. and also nationally there was an nbc washington journal poll that
10:24 am
came out yesterday. secretary clinton to future by 10 points, we defeated him by 15 points. and even more importantly than pulls is the thrust of our campaign. the fact is, republicans win national elections when people are demoralized and they don't come out and vote. and last year, republicans won a landslide victory all over this country because 63% of the american people did not vote. 80% of young people did not vote. what is going on in this campaign, the campaign that has the excitement. that has the energy, bringing working people and young people
10:25 am
in. campaigns that have spoken to 450,000 people already all over america and has spoken to over 27,000 people in meetings like this, our campaign is the campaign of excitement, energy, momentum and will result in a large voter turnout which means a victory for democrats. [applause] let me also say this. when we began this campaign, they said we did not have money, organization, name recognition. one of the problems we had to face right away is the fact that
10:26 am
as all of you know, the run for president is that you need to raise an unbelievable amount of money. and what the experts were saying was, the only way i candidate in this day and age with this disastrous citizens united decision, the only way a candidate can raise the kinds of money you need is to set up a super pac. and the truth is, my democratic opponents and almost all republican components -- opponents set up a super pac. to my mind, someone that does not represent the billionaire class, does not represent corporate america, i decided that i was not going to establish a super pac. i was not going to ask them for millions of dollars in money.
10:27 am
[applause] but then, that is a very lovely statement but it doesn't bring in any money. how do you do it? the old-fashioned way. we reached out to the working class and middle class families of this country. i would not have dreamed we could do this. in the last nine months, we have received 2.5 million individual contributions. [applause] that is more than any candidate in the history of the united states of america up to this point in a campaign.
10:28 am
and at a time when candidates are so proudly having nightmares come out with $5 million or $10 million. our average contribution is $27. but what all of that means is that we have already accomplished something. we have shown the american people that despite this disastrous citizens united supreme court decision and despite all of the super pac's, one can still run a strong and i believe winning campaign based on the support from working families and the middle class. and i'm very proud of that. [applause] today, we have many thousands of
10:29 am
volunteers. and we have a wonderful organization. and with your help, if we can get a good voter turnout, i believe we can win this state and the ask for your help to make that happen. [applause] now one of the reasons that i think our campaign is doing well is because we are treating the american people as if they were intelligent human beings. that's a radical idea for a politician. we are often seen on tv or when the media will tell you what the most important issues are, we have chosen to go a different direction. the most important issues facing us is not what appears on
10:30 am
television tomorrow. the most important issues are the issues you are struggling with today. those are the issues that we have got to address whether the media finds them interesting or exciting or not. but what do i mean by that? i will give you a few examples. a couple weeks ago, i was in nevada. a woman in her early 30's came up to me and has a five-year-old child. she said, i am trying to support a child and pay off my student debt. tears started running down her cheeks. i don't know what happens to my
10:31 am
child. it is no different in new hampshire. we have many seniors who are trying to get by on social security. and if you just do the arithmetic, you can't get by. some of those seniors are cutting their pills in half, which is not a good thing to do. that they don't have the money they need to buy the medicine that they require. i try to expand the meals on wheels program, but republicans resisted. people are having a hard time eating one nutritious meal a day. and what a disgrace that is. and i go all over the country
10:32 am
and i talk to people. young people stand up. senator, i will be graduating college very shortly. i'm going to be $60,000 in debt. having a hard time finding a job. i'm supposed to pay back $1200 a month and i have no clue how i can do that. another young man, two kids, married. he is working in sustainable energy. he is paying 53% of his limited income on student debt. they desperately want quality affordable childcare for the little ones and can't find that. they're scared to death about going to work.
10:33 am
we can hire somebody at half your age or half the wages. talk to the kids graduating college. talk to people and i do all the time trying to cobble together income and health care. talk to husbands and wives whose marriages are being stressed out because people are working so hard. and they don't have enough time to spend with their kids. the truth is that our economy today is obviously in a lot better shape than it was when george w. bush left office.
10:34 am
when bush left office, we were hemorrhaging 800,000 jobs a month. our deficit was a record-breaking $1.4 trillion. in the world's financial system was on the verge of collapse. other than that, we were in really good shape. [laughter] sanders: and these people have the nerve to attack barack obama. so we have made progress. we've cut the deficit by more than two thirds. the world's financial system is not on the verge of collapse, and we are growing jobs rather than hemorrhaging jobs.
10:35 am
we must also be honest about and to acknowledge that under republican administrations and democratic administrations, for the last 40 years, the great middle class of this country that was once the envy of the entire world has been disappearing. if you are a male worker in the middle of the american economy, half the people on top, half the people below, you are earning an inflation-adjusted four dollars less than you made 41 years ago. productivity expanding, technology exploding, and you are making 40 and $700 less than you made 41 years ago. if you are a woman, you're
10:36 am
making $1000 less in adjusted income than you made in 2007. that is the reality. why people are so angry as they are working harder and harder. everyone is worried about the future of their kids. which, by the way, if we do not get our act together, the kids, our kids will be the first generation in modern american history to have a lower standard of living than we do. people are asking us, what's going on? exploding, worker productivity going on. but the middle class is been in decline and more and more people are living in poverty. well, i would suggest that a lot of why that is happening has to do with the fact that we have seen in the last 30 years a
10:37 am
massive transfer of wealth from the middle class and working families of our countries to the top 1/10 of 1%. trillions of dollars owned by the middle class are now gone, while the top .1% is seeing a doubling of the percentage of wealth that they own. mind, together as we try to turn this country around, one of the areas that we absolutely must focus on is the grotesque level of income and wealth inequality we are experiencing today. let me just bore you for a
10:38 am
moment with a few facts that i think is important for you to know. that is in america today, the top .1 of 1% -- not 1%, .1% -- got that? today, the wealthiest 20 people, that is the front row here. not these guys, though. they own more wealth than the bottom half of america. 150 million people. today in america, one family -- the walton family that owns walmart -- one family owns more wealth than the bottom 40%. and by the way, when i talk
10:39 am
about the walton family, let me mention to you that i know that you hear a lot of welfare reform. people ripping off the welfare system. let me tell you who the major welfare recipient family in america is. not some poor family down the road. recipient isfare the walton family, the wealthiest family in america. and they are the major recipient because you, as taxpayers, are paying taxes for medicaid and food stamps and affordable housing that walmart employees need because the walton family is not paying them a living wage.
10:40 am
so when we talk about a rigged economy, an economy where the rich get much richer while almost everybody else gets poorer, it seems a little bit absurd that the middle class has got to subsidize the wealthiest family in this country. so i say to the walton family, the owners of walmart, get off of welfare. start paying your workers a decent wage. that is wealth. when we talk about income, despite the fact that so many people are working such long hours, it turns out that 58% of
10:41 am
all new income generated goes to the top 1%. are you ready for a radical idea? why not. why not create the concrete an economy that works for working families, not the 1%? but when we talk about the economy, it is not only the grotesque level of income and wealth inequality. it is also about jobs. every month, the federal government issues a set of reports on unemployment. the report most of you see is the official unemployment
10:42 am
report. which is now about 5%. but it does not include are those people that have given up looking for work and those people working part-time who want to work full-time. you add that together and we're close to 10%. and here's something that's almost never discussed at all but it is a huge and tragic issue. the problem of youth unemployment. i asked economists to do a study for me. tell me what real youth unemployment is in this country for kids who graduate high school. kids who were white, 33% unemployed. or underemployed. latinos, 36%, african-american, 51%. if anybody in this room thinks
10:43 am
there is not a connection between that outrageously high level of youth unemployment and the fact that we have more people in jail than in any other country on earth, i believe you would be mistaken. today in america, we have 2.2 million people in jail. we spent $80 billion a year locking them up. here is my second radical idea of the evening. maybe it makes a lot more sense for us to be investing in education and jobs rather than jails and incarcerations.
10:44 am
our goal should be to have a more educated population on earth not in jail. when we ask ourselves why it is, people are working such long hours. there were pictures of workers 100 years ago marching down the holding up big placards. you know what those placards were saying? "we want theing
10:45 am
40-hour work week." 100 years have come and gone and we still want the 40 hour work week. turns out that we in the united states work the longest hours of any people in the industrialized world. the japanese are very hard workers. we work longer hours than they do. one of the obvious reasons is that wages in this country are too damn low. so let me be very clear. the federal minimum wage today of $7.25 is a starvation wage. we need to raise the minimum wage to a living wage, $15 an
10:46 am
hour over the next few years. i hope that every man in this room will stand with the women in the fight for pay equity for women workers. there is no rational economic reason why women should be making $.79 on the dollar compared to men. it's just old-fashioned sexism and together, we are going to change that.
10:47 am
now in new hampshire, for better or for worse, you see a lot of politicians talking previously. if they are republican, you may hear them talking about family values. they love families. they stay up nights worrying about families. especially if they are very wealthy families that can contribute to their campaigns. but you all know what they mean by family values. what they mean is that no woman in this room, in this country should have the right to control
10:48 am
her own body. i disagree. [applause] what they mean by family values is that we should defund planned parenthood. i think we should expand funding for planned parenthood. what they mean by family values is that our gay brothers and sisters should not have the right to get married. i disagree.
10:49 am
my wife and i have been married for 27 years. we have four grandkids. -- we have four great kids. you saw my son levy. we have seven beautiful grandchildren and we are very proud of our family. we believe very strongly in family values. but when i talk about family values, my values are a little bit different from republicans. values,alk about family i mean ending the international embarrassment of the united states of america being the only major country on earth that does not provide paid family and medical leave.
10:50 am
now the good and beautiful news is that here in new hampshire today and vermont, women are giving birth and those of you who are parents know what an extraordinary day that is. the pre-big day for the baby as and it is a pretty big day for the baby as well. [laughter] sanders: but the truth is, if that woman who gives birth today is a working-class woman, the likelihood is that she will have to basically give up her baby, lose contact with her baby, and go back to work in a week or two in order to earn enough money to take care of her family. that is not a family value. that is the opposite of what a family value is. virtually every government on earth, not only wealthy nations
10:51 am
understand that mom and dad should have the right to stay home in what amounts to the most important weeks and months of that human beings life. all of you know that kids get sick. and mom or dad should have the right to stay home with their child. parents get sick. sons and daughters should have the right to tend to their mothers and fathers. that is why i am strongly supporting and will make happen as president, three months of paid family and medical leave for every family in america.
10:52 am
that is not a radical idea. every other country on earth can do it, i think we can as well. when we talk about the economy, we talking about job creation. when youth unemployment is higher than 10%, in my view, we need a massive federal jobs program to put our people back to work. we should be hiring teachers, not firing teachers. when we have a dysfunctional
10:53 am
child care and pre-k system, which for many families is not affordable and where childcare workers are earning minimum wage or a little bit more, we need to create hundreds of thousands of jobs for well-trained, well-paid childcare workers. and when we have an infrastructure. roads, bridges, water systems, wastewater plants. i'm not just talking about flint, michigan. i'm talking about municipalities all over this country where water systems are leaking and in bad trouble. we need to rebuild the rail system to catch up with europe and japan and china.
10:54 am
we can create 13 million decent paying jobs rebuilding our infrastructure with a $1 trillion investment and i intend to make that investment. people say that's a great idea but it's an expensive proposition. where we get the money? we will end this outrageous tax loophole that allows major billion dollar profitable corporations to stash their money in the cayman islands and other tax havens. [applause]
10:55 am
we are losing $100 billion a year. we have corporations that make billions of dollars not paying a nickel in a given year of federal income tax. that is wrong. we're going to change that and invest in the infrastructure. create millions of good paying jobs. and by the way, not only do we need to create millions of good paying jobs, we need to stop the loss of millions of jobs through a disastrous trade policy that allows corporate america to shut down plants here and move to low-wage countries abroad. when i talk about an economy
10:56 am
that is rigged, when i talk about a campaign finance system that is corrupt, when i talk about a criminal justice system that is broken, it turns out that we have seen all of that in a recent story in the papers about a week ago. economic, political, and criminal justice systems. about a week ago, it was sachs,ed that goldman one of the major financial institutions on wall street, was going to reach a settlement with the federal government for five billion dollars. they were reaching that settlement because they had sold subprime mortgage packages that were worthless.
10:57 am
investors thought they were buying something that was worth something, but it was worthless. over the last 30 years, goldman sachs has operated a revolving door. that means they go into government, do the bidding of wall street and go back to the private sector. goldman sachs is given this -- has given this country two secretaries of the treasury. one under a republican administration, one under a democratic administration. that's how the system works. the government works for big money. it turns out the guy that is head of goldman sachs, the financial institution that paid $5 billion in settlements with
10:58 am
the government, is a billionaire who, a couple of years ago, went to the congress and said, you know what? you've got to cut social security, medicare, you got to cut medicaid. we can't afford to sustain these programs. this is coming from a billionaire whose company paid a $5 billion fine for ripping off the american people. when we talk about why the american people are angry and why they are increasingly alienated from the political process, it has a lot to do with the fact that there are kids in new hampshire and kids in vermont that get arrested for possessing marijuana. and they get a police record. and you know what? when you get a police record, sometimes it is hard to go out
10:59 am
and get a job. and when you are the ceo of a multi-multi-billion-dollar financial institution which helped crash the economy because of their greed, recklessness, and illegal behavior, helped create a situation in which millions of people lost their homes, life savings, their jobs. and when you are that person, somehow don't get a police record. that is wrong. that has got to change. and by the way, to make a bad situation even worse, this particular company spends huge amounts of money on campaign
11:00 am
contributions and on speakers fees to unnamed candidates. but that's how the system works. that's what power is about. it's why the 1% gets richer and everybody else gets poorer. and when i talked about the political revolution and bringing in millions of people, to create a government that works for all of us, not just a handful of people.
11:01 am
and speaking about campaign contributions, today is the sixth anniversary of one of the worst supreme court decisions in the history of this country. and that is the citizens united decision. and what citizens united did was to say to the very wealthiest people in this country, you already own much of the economy and that we will give you an opportunity to purchase the united states government. and that is what they are trying to do. you have one family and a few of their friends -- the koch wealthiestecond family in the country. they are very nervous and unhappy. they are trying to catch up to the waltons. they're working really hard and think they can become even
11:02 am
richer if they elect candidates who share their views, which is not only to cut social security and medicare but end social security and medicare and medicaid and the environmental protection agency. that is a family spending $900 million on this campaign. when you have one family spending more money in a campaign than either the democratic party or the republican party, you are not looking at a democratic society. you are looking at an oligarchic form of society, and together, we are going to stop that. and the reason that that issue is so important is that it touches on every other issue.
11:03 am
you name the issue. if people are elected to office to represent the wealthy and the powerful, the needs of the middle-class and working families, the needs of women and children and of the environment will not be addressed. let me conclude that by telling you -- here is the problem. -- here is a promise. no nominee of mine to the united states supreme court will get that nomination unless he or she is crystal clear that they will vote to overturn citizens united. [applause] everybody in this room knows that we live in a highly competitive global economy. and if we are going to succeed, we need the best educated workforce in the world.
11:04 am
there was once a time when we did. that time is not anymore. it seems to me to be totally absurd and beyond comprehension that when we need the intellectual capabilities of all of our people, we have hundreds of thousands of young americans who are able and qualified who cannot get to college for one reason and one reason at all. -- one reason and one reason alone. and that is their families lack the money. that is why i believe that in the year 2016, we must make public colleges tuition free.
11:05 am
and i say that not just for the obvious reasons. that it means that bright young people will be able to go to college. that there is a more profound reason. i grew up in a family that never had a lot of money. my dad came from poland. he dropped out of high school. my mom graduated high school. but like every new you, the people you associate with, you associate people with similar economic backgrounds. the people we associated with just did not have college education. and that's true all over america. there are kids that don't know anybody who went to college. if we can make public colleges and universities tuition free,
11:06 am
every parent and teacher and child in this country, kids in the sixth grade and eighth grade understand that if they do their schoolwork seriously, if they pay attention, they will be able to get a college education regardless of the income of their families that is , revolutionary. and when we talk about our responsibilities as adults and inhabitants of this earth, it seems to me that we have a moral responsibility to make sure that the planet we leave our children and grandchildren is healthy and habitable.
11:07 am
i sit on the senate environmental committee and the senate energy committee. i've metapacity, scientists all over our country and all over the world. what they say is very clear. climate change is real. it is caused by human activity. it is already causing major problems in our country and around the world. planet earth could become 10 degrees warmer by the end of this century. what that means is more drought, extremeods, more weather disturbances, more acidification of the ocean, more raising -- more rising sea levels, more international
11:08 am
conflict as people fight for limited natural resources. if elected president, i will lead our country into working with russia and china, india, countries all over the world to take on the fossil fuel industry, transform our energy system away from fossil fuels. let me connect some dots here and show you how everything is related to everything else. today, we have a major political party called the republican party. not one of their candidates has
11:09 am
stood up and said i have read the literature, i've talked to the scientists, we've got a problem. not one. and in the congress, there are very few of them. some may say that republicans are dumb or something like that. that's not the case. some of you may think it is the case, but it's not the case. not here. i am on a lot of committees. i serve with republicans, and we discuss issues like cancer and , and they asked the same rational questions anybody else would ask. they do not go around attacking cancer researchers or alzheimer's researchers. but on this issue, things are very different. and the reason for that is a
11:10 am
corrupt campaign finance system which tells republicans that if one of them were to stand up and say, you know what? climate change is real, we've got to do something about that. on that day, they would lose their funding from the koch brothers and the fossil fuel industry. and that is just one example of many for why we need campaign finance reform. when we talk about america, and when we talk about the future of our country, what i am trying to do is to get people to think big and not small.
11:11 am
in other words, if we were an impoverished country we would , have one type of discussion. but we are the wealthiest in the history of the world and that calls for a different type of discussion. there is one major country on earth, one, the country that you live in, that does not guarantee health care to every man, woman, and child as a right. i have been criticized for believing that health care is a right and not a privilege. people want to criticize me, that's fine. that is what i believe.
11:12 am
i am a member of the senate health education committee. -- senate health, labor, education, and pension committee, and in that capacity, spent an enormous amount of time working on the affordable care act. and in my view, the affordable care act has done some very important things. it has ended the private insurance company obscenity of pre-existing conditions. and 20 years from now or 50 years from now, people will look back and say i cannot believe you had a system where insurance companies could tell somebody that you had breast cancer five years ago, we will provide you with insurance but not for breast cancer because it may recur. it's like saying i'm going to give you fire insurance unless if you have a fire. it is totally insane.
11:13 am
that's gone. what we have also done is provided health insurance for 17 million americans that otherwise would not have it. it is much fairer to women who do not have to pay higher prices for insurance than men. there's good stuff but let's also be clear. today, 29 million american americans have no health insurance. many more are underinsured with high deductibles and copayments. anybody have a high deductible? would you mind -- anybody want to tell us what their deductible is? $6,000. $4000. $10,000. ok.
11:14 am
[laughter] sanders: whatever i do, i feel like a vermont auctioneer. sorry to say you won unless somebody can go higher than $10,000. but that means is that people do have insurance. but they have high deductibles and high copayments. what does that mean? world, thatthe real people hesitate to go to the doctor when they are sick because they don't have the money in their pocket. what that also means -- and i have talked to a lot of doctors in vermont and around the country -- sometimes people go into the doctor's office and they are really sick. the doctor says why didn't you , come in here six months ago? and they say, i didn't have any health insurance or maybe i had a high deductible. sometimes those people do not make it. sometimes they end up in the hospital with great expense and
11:15 am
great suffering. in my view, when we have a system that shows 29 million people uninsured, more underinsured, when we pay the highest prices in the world for prescription drugs, when we end up spending almost three times more than the british spend to provide health care to all of their people, 50% more than the french spend to provide health care, far more than our canadian neighbors. i think that we need to move forward for a medicare for all single-payer program.
11:16 am
and because medicare for all takes the private insurance companies out of the equation. and you all know their function is simply to make as much money as possible -- we will be able to negotiate prices with the drug companies, we end up with a medicare for all program saving middle-class families thousands of dollars a year on the health care costs. when we talk about issues in america, i know all of you share with me our fatigue, our ust, ourd -- our disg anger at seeing videos on television of innocent people being shot to death by police
11:17 am
officers. and often, those people are african-american or latino. i was, as you all know, the mayor of burlington, vermont. and in that capacity, i worked very, very hard with our police department. in my view, the vast, vast majority of police officers in this country are honest, hard-working, and asked to do an enormously do an difficult job. it is not easy being a police officer in the year 2016. but as is the case with any other public official, if a police officer breaks the law, the officer must be held accountable.
11:18 am
we need major reforms in the criminal justice system. we need to de-militarize the local police department. we need to make police departments look like the diversity of the communities that they serve. we need to take a hard look at the so-called war on drugs. right now, marijuana is listed as a schedule one drug right next to heroin. i don't have to tell the people of new hampshire about the
11:19 am
horror of heroin and i don't have to tell the people of my state about the horror of heroin. it's a growing problem all over this country. a problem, by the way, in terms of opiate addiction and heroin getction we have got to a handle on. need a revolution and mental health treatment in this country. -- in mental health treatment in this country. that when people need treatment for substance abuse, they get the treatment when they need it, not ask months from when they need it. and i am aware -- i just met a mother earlier today. serious thatw problem is in your state and how serious the problem is in my state.
11:20 am
but when you have marijuana next to heroin, i think that makes no sense to me at all. and what i worry about -- what i worry about is that young people will get a police record for the possession of marijuana and find it really hard to go out, get a job, and get their lives together. that is why i have issued legislation to take marijuana out of the controlled substance act. we have about 11 million undocumented people. many are being exploited. many are living in fear.
11:21 am
i have talked to young latinos with tears running down their cheeks who worry that their parents could be deported or they could be deported. as president, i will be as aggressive as i can in moving toward comprehensive immigration reform and a path toward citizenship. now, we can have honest disagreements about any issue, including immigration reform, but what we should not be having 2016, what we should not be having our candidates using racism and bigotry to attack --
11:22 am
[cheers and applause] senator sanders: the idea that somehow in the middle of the night we are going to pick up and roundup 11 million people and throw them out of the country, the idea that people like donald trump are referring to latinos who come into this country as criminals and rapists is on acceptable. unacceptable. this campaign is about, not just electing a president. it is about transforming america. bill mentioned a little while ago it is not good enough to elect a president. what we need to do is transform this country, and no president can do it alone.
11:23 am
we need to be working together. we need to raise political consciousness. we need to have consciousness about what is going on in washington in a way that we have not had for a very, very long time. at but here is the bottom-line. the bottom line is we are the wealthiest country in the history of the world. we are a country that has seen a massive transfer of wealth away from the middle class to the top 1%.f i believe if we stand together, if we do not allow the donald if we aredivide us latino or muslim, there is nothing, nothing, nothing we
11:24 am
cannot accomplish. that then't tell me united states of america, our great country cannot guarantee health care to all people. don't tell me that we cannot make certain that all of our young people, regardless of the income of their families, are educationt a college if they have the ability to do so, and don't tell me we can't train carpenters and plumbers and sheet metal workers. don't tell me we have to have more income and wealth inequality than any other major country on earth at the same time as we have more childhood poverty than any other country on earth. don't tell me that we have to
11:25 am
maintain a crumbling infrastructure. don't tell me we cannot address the fact that the wealthiest people in this country often pay an effective tax rate lower than what you pay. when we stand together, there is nothing we cannot accomplish. that is what this campaign is about. that is what a sanders administration is about. thank you all very much. crowd: bernie! bernie! bernie! sanders: thank you.
11:26 am
♪ >> thank you. thank you. thank you. >> thank you so much. you., i am voting for senator sanders: thank you. >> bernie sanders! >> bernie, bernie! >> mr. president.
11:27 am
>> thank you very much. i am from vermont, my family -- rom vermont [indiscernible] ["starman" playing in background] my name is jane. sanders: hello. how are you?
11:28 am
>> bernie, thank you. >> bernie! >> thank you. senator sanders: hello. [indiscernible] [captioning performed by the national captioning institute, which is responsible for its caption content and accuracy. visit ncicap.org] [captions copyright national cable satellite corp. 2016] >> c-span takes you on the road to the white house. best access to the candidates at town hall meetings, speeches, rallies, and meet and greets. we are taking your comments on twitter, facebook, and by phone, and as always, every campaign event we cover is available on our website, c-span.org.
11:29 am
d.c. regionngton, is getting ready for a blizzard making its way up the east coast. nothing just yet, but i suspect in a couple hours we will have some pretty heavy snow moving through the area. encroaching storm, the march for life is still happening today according to the janie mancini,, who you see on the screen. it is expected to begin with a rally near noon near the washington monument. a live picture right now. the storm, we understand, moving quickly up the east coast, just to the south of woodbridge, virginia, and we will get winds and2 40 miles per hour several feet of snow by the time it comes to an end. the march itself is expected to go down constitution avenue to the supreme court building for another rally that is supposed to take place at 3 p.m. eastern.
11:30 am
and the march coincides with the anniversary of the roe versus wade decision. we will show you the final episode from our "landmark cases" >> c-span's campaign 2016, taking on the road to the white house. this weekend saturday morning at 10:00 eastern, live coverage from nashua, new hampshire, the first in the nation presidential town hall with eight gop candidates -- rand paul, jim gilmore, jeb bush, john kasich, chris christie, carly fiorina, rick santorum, and florida senator marco rubio. saturday at 8:00 p.m. eastern, live coverage of a campaign rally in waterloo, iowa with texas senator ted cruz and tv beck.adio host glenn that cou
tv-commercial
11:31 am
saturday afternoon at 1:00, a rally in iowa for donald trump could fo. for the complete c-span tv schedule, go to our website at c-span.org. >> "the hill" newspaper writing that hillary clinton is defending her role as establishment against a rival bernie sanders. the clinton counter attack comes as she and sanders battle seriously ahead of the february 1 iowa caucuses, where some polls show senator sanders rising ahead of the presumed democratic front runner. coming up, hillary clinton speaks to supporters at o'reilly -- a rally in iowa. >> a person who lives here has to solve problems as big as here and your kitchen table.
11:32 am
and now the first lady to get health care for 8 million kids, a senator that help the city rise again, the secretary of state that stood up for america and stood down hostile leaders around the world is the one candidate for president who has everything it takes to do every part of the job. she will never let anyone privatize social security and medicare or shut down planned parenthood. on the gun lobby and get equal pay for women and stop the republicans from ripping all of our progress aware. so on february first, stand up for hillary. if you want a president who knows how to keep america safe and build a stronger economy, heller is the choice. -- hillary is the choice. hillary clinton: i'm listening to you. i'm fighting for you couu. and with your support, i will deliver. i'm hillary clinton and i approved this message. >> hillary clinton at the university of violet. audience the al
11:33 am
took caucus for her. .his is about an hour [applause] demi lovato: thank you, guys. now it's time to celebrate a real superstar that is here today. [applause] i just want to say that i cannot be more thrilled to be here in support of her, the person who is about to walk on the stage, not only am i voting for because of her beliefs come her strength --, her strength, and the fact that she completely embodies the concept of women empowerment. [cheering] and last but not least, i am voting for her because i truly
11:34 am
believe that there is nobody more qualified to run this country, our country, then our secretary of state hillary clinton. [cheering] ♪ hillary clinton: oh my gosh. ♪ hillary clinton: thank you so much. oh my gosh. i am so happy to be here, but i have to tell you i am so
11:35 am
thrilled that demi is here with us. [cheering] you already know what an extraordinary talent she is. and you got a taste of that tonight. i want to thank her for how , how confident , because she is using her voice not only to sing and inspire us through that, but she's using her voice to reach out to so many people who need a little bit of help themselves. thatave some challenges she is determined to help people find their way through.
11:36 am
and i appreciate that because i think we all need to help each other along life's way. been anu have extraordinary example for so many in the way that you have talked about issues that people find sometimes hard to talk about. [cheering] hope and a lot of positive reinforcement to so many. i'm thrilled you're here lending your voice and your example to our efforts to get people to come out and caucus on february 1. [cheering] you are precinct captains, team leaders, volunteers, people who are already involved? thank you so much.
11:37 am
somewhere in this big crowd is congressman dales low back -- ck.e loba i'm thrilled to have him as well. it will be an exciting 10 or 11 days now until we get to the caucus. i'm hoping that each and everyone of you will get interested, get involved, be part of this process. you know, people in iowa are literally being watched not just around our country but around the world because you get the first chance to decide who should be the next president of the united states. [cheering] and i would be: so thrilled and honored if you for me onaucused february 1. [cheering] hillary clinton: and i promise you i will work as hard as i
11:38 am
know how. republicans tohe win the election in november of 2016. [cheering] hillary clinton: i am proud of the progress we have made under president obama and i don't want anybody sending us back. [cheering] hillary clinton: so please, if you have not already, sign up to be part of this campaign. not only to deal with the big issues, like how do we get the economy working for everybody, not just those at the top and raise income, how do we keep our country safe and lead the world with peace, prosperity, and security, and how do we deal with a lot of those problems that people across iowa talk to toabout, how are you going afford college, how are we going to get the cost of student debt down, how are we going to make easier for people to afford
11:39 am
everything from prescription drugs to childcare. defend ourgoing to civil rights, human rights, women's rights, gay rights, voting rights, workers rights. and how are we going to take on those big special interests who are always trying to put the wall against the kind of progress we believe in. i'm going to take them on whether they are insurance companies or banks, drug companies, or the gun lobby. we are not going to let them have their way. [cheering] hillary clinton: so this is a great night here at the university made very special by this extraordinary young woman . please join us in helping to change our country, keep it on a progressive path, make sure we
11:40 am
go forwardck, we with confidence. thank you, demi. [cheering] ♪ ♪
11:41 am
are born to be fighters and were fighting for our lives ♪ ♪
11:42 am
11:43 am
11:44 am
11:45 am
11:46 am
11:47 am
11:48 am
killonger (what doesn't "u) by kelly clarkson plays] ♪
11:49 am
hillary clinton: how are you? where you from? sorry about that. thank you. thank you.
11:50 am
["best day of my life" by
11:51 am
american authors plays] ♪
11:52 am
11:53 am
[cheering]
11:54 am
["we weren't born to follow" by jovi plays] ♪
11:55 am
11:56 am
>> a selfie with hillary. ♪
11:57 am
11:58 am
>> demi! ♪
11:59 am
>> can i get a statement from a news piece? >> secretary clinton, can i get a statement? >> hillary! [cheering]
12:00 pm
>> excuse me. >> hillary, can i get a statement from a newspaper? hillary clinton: yes. >> over here. >> hillary! where over here. -- we are over here.

30 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on