Skip to main content
Internet Archive's 25th Anniversary Logo

tv   The Five  FOX News  January 24, 2014 1:00am-2:01am PST

1:00 am
resembling a doll than a network that you don't think is a doll. geez. >> tastes just like chicken. >> hello, everyone. i'm greg gutfeld, along with kimberly guilfoyle, eric bolling, dana preen yeah, and bob beckel. this is "the five." >> after speaking pot all day and drinking beer and taking pills justin bieber landed in jail this morning. this is his mug shot which proves no matter what you do bad boys always look great at 18. later in life, not so much. it gets worse. and worse. and really worse. my point is it's probably best
1:01 am
to quit being a bad boy while you still have teeth, but bieber's interesting because in the context of human existence he's not a young man with high status, engages in high-risk behavior. next you'll tell me politicians sleep with prostitutes and dana trains butterflies to do laundry. biebs is a function of free time and monry with a temporary entourage who sees him as a walking atm. the real culprit the mindset of the teenage girl that suspends critical thinking, replacing it mindless euphoria driven by hormones and a desire for acceptance, but enough about obama. true his poll numbers have a bieber-esque quality, adored by people who pay more attention to dimples than direction, it's a direction we can predict for like bieber. obama has no friendly speed bumps, no trusted critical eye to stop the decline with helpful device. too scared to hurt the pinup's feelings which is why there's nothing to see here because we've all seen it before.
1:02 am
>> hmm. >> how to do that shoe horn obama into the bieber story. >> i was going to say, it was an interesting connection, to say the least. >> i'm kind of proud of it. when are you heading to atlantic city, bob? >> i'm actually, believe it or not, i'm playing poker tonight, and i decided i'd get into the mindset. >> you're 90% there with those suspenders and tie. hey, i want to play this police -- the police discussing the arrest. raymond martinez i think is the officer talking about what happened. >> during the investigation mr. bieber made a statement that he had consumed some alcohol and that he had been smoking marijuana and consumed some prescription medication. he's currently here at the station. he's going to be transported to miami-dade county corrections. once he was here at station, he was very cooperative. we did not have any issues with him, and, you know, he will be arrested. the charges are going to be dui. he also has no valid driver's
1:03 am
license out of the state of georgia, and the resisting arrest without violence charge. >> so i was having a hard time concentrating. >> i know. >> because the man behind him, but i don't know if he's well, but there was a man behind him, and it might be bieber in 20 years. >> looks like he's cast away. >> anyway, kimberly, what's next? first it was eggs. >> you mean because miley cyrus got arrested? >> but, i mean -- >> that's who he looks like. the two of them, i really think it's awkward and unusual the way they resemble one another. i think she copied him. >> total bond was 2,500 bucks. >> yes, that's very low. that's for a first-time dui. we don't know all the specifics of it. it was under the suspicion of dui. he'll get a great lawyer, and they will probably plead it out where he'll pay a fine and not have as many points on his record, depending on whether or not he did a refusal and what the results come back in. this is the reckless behavior bob was talking about the other
1:04 am
day. you know, what's your deal with bieber? look, this kid is going on the wrong path. >> he got resisting arrest nonviolent and also driving on a georgia driver's license that's expired. i mean -- >> well, you've done that before. >> well, sure i have, but i'm not him and i don't have his kind of money. don't you think this may actually land him some time, a little bit of time? >> do you want me to pretend? >> yes. >> maybe, bob. that's really a good question. >> eric, trending on twitter is the #deportbieber. >> back to canada? >> yes. >> look, he might deport himself. >> can we keep his hair? >> he's on a crash course with, you know, a six foot under destiny. the kid turns to drugs and the speeding, his ferrari which is rented. >> lamborghini, rented the lamborghini, worth $100 million. >> that's what you do if you're in different cities and towns all the time, specialty dealerships, beverly hills, miami, take the care out for week and can be flashy and have a lamborghini.
1:05 am
>> gotcha. >> look. you have to be -- to feel bad for him. honestly, everybody wants to beat him up, but the kid is going to kill himself. >> it could happen. >> if we learned anything women love a bad boy. how do you feel about justin bieber now? >> oh, wow. >> he's not bad. >> who among us has not gotten really drunk and high on drugs. >> yes. >> and rented a very expensive sports luxury car and went drag racing down central park west? >> only two of us. >> saturday nights, that's what we do. >> the pedals are too far in this car. i was reading things about him when he first got started. doing really amazing -- if you liked his music, he was selling a lot of records, but he was also doing a lot of charity work, a lot of stuff with evangelical christians, and i hope that the people that he surrounded himself with after this event are more like the people that helped him get started than the ones who are guiding him in this bad direction, one direction now. >> this kid needs to get -- i
1:06 am
don't think he should do jail time. needs to get out of there and get into rehab and this is a -- >> he needs rehab? do you really think he's an addict? >> they say he likes that scissor, that cough sirup stuff. >> the young stars, surrounded by an "entourage" entourage of make their money off of him. that's the tragic part this. kid is going to die. >> you know when? when he's not popular anymore, when no one cares about his music and he's living this lifestyle, he'll try to make up for that adrenaline rush he's getting right now. >> driving the car fast, drag racing and dui. >> another example where they bury themselves in drugs and plastic surgery and they end up being lucky to survive it. >> at least mickey rourke came back. i don't know if he has the talent to come back. >> he's a great actor. he became a really good boxer.
1:07 am
>> who is the one who has been to rehab and they get her out. >> lindsay lohan. >> lindsay lohan, the two of them may want to get together and start their own rehab, but i'm telling you. this kid started out. his mother seemed to be very strongly in charge. he had usher who was guiding his career, and then all of a sudden, i don't know what's happened. >> that's why he had the atlanta, georgia license. >> he'll end up as a judge on one of these talent shows. >> there you go. >> because then they know they would get ratings because people would tune in to see the train wreck every week. >> did that with britney. >> is "celebrity rehab" still on. >> i say they bring on "celebrity rehab," bob runs the show. god rodman. lindsay lohan, justin bieber. plenty of people that can join your rehab group, and youave toa for them. >> this is a sign. someone wonders if this kid is an addict. you don't do these things over and over again in a short period of time if you don't have, a, an addictive personality, starts off with booze and gets up into
1:08 am
pills and marijuana. >> what about his record label? what about the people that are investors in the company that are part of -- why can't they get some adult supervision? >> well, he has like the greatest -- the greatest lawyer you can buy. i mean, wherever he goes, he'll be able to pay his way out of these problems, much like our president of the united states. >> ah, here comes the segue. >> who is having a worse year, kimberly, justin bieber or president obama? >> it's a tie. it's a tie. oh, and at this table, obama is having a worse time than justin bieber because we like justin bieber's hair because we can keep that and deport him to canada. that's the decision. >> i want to go to this sot from kevin o'leary. if you watch "shark tank" it's a great show, entrepreneurs go there to pitch a product to get money from and kevin leary is one of the guys. probably the most entertaining of them all. this is him discussing the income inequality i think on some canadian show. >> this is a great thing because
1:09 am
it inspires everybody, gets them motivation to look up to the 1% and say i want to become one of those people. i'll fight hard to get up to the top. this is fantastic news, and, of course, i applaud it. what can be wrong with this? >> really? >> yes, really. >> somebody living on $1 a day in africa is getting up in the morning and saying i'm going to be bill gates? >> that's the motivation. >> she neglects to realize it's people like bill gates who help with charity in africa. you need to have rich people to help. >> but the point of this was they are talking about the 85 richest people in the world. >> right. >> have more money than the -- than half the population of the world which is a rather shocking statistic. i'm not suggesting they ought to give their money up and bring these people up but the idea we're going to wake up in the morning, some kid in africa and say oh, yeah, i'm going to be just like bill gates. no. i'll take bill gates' charity. >> but nobody wakes up -- they are usually looking at being as successful as somebody they know. >> people who wake up like that,
1:10 am
they are thinking i'm hoping that i figure out a way to feed myself. >> yes, exactly. >> at least twice today so i have enough sustenance. the thing about the guy's comment he's -- you can see that he's not being -- maybe he's being sincere, but he sounds like he's not. he sounds like he's being flippant. >> he's a cocky individual. whether you agree or disagree with him. >> here are the numbers. in 2008 the average income of the top 5% in america was $180,000. in 2012 that average income went up to $191,000. so average top incomes have gone up. in 2008, the average income of the lowest 5% was $20,700, in 2012 it was $20,600. so under president obama, at least the first four years, from the census, by the way, income inequality widening so whatever he's done, spent $4 trillion, 5 trillion in wealth
1:11 am
redistribution it's not working, not helping income inequality. >> there's rough economic years in that first term of his. >> which is his fault, of course. >> of course it was his fault. why would we say anything else. >> just getting back to this thing. i'm glad to see people like gates and some of these billionaires who really are using their money for the right things. >> you don't want to stay on this one? >> i -- i mean -- >> the lower 5% actually losing ground. >> it's $100, but -- >> but $100 is a lot. >> but the fact is you and i both know why rich people are getting richer because the interest rates are down to zero. >> no question, absolutely no question. but my point is what, do we spend $800 billion a-year on welfare payments, in the welfare programs or more, and it's not bringing the lower class up. spending more money on the poor isn't helping them out of their -- out of their low end. >> what helps them, dana, what is the variable that helps? >> the number one thing, and just today the national review
1:12 am
reported on a study from the national science foundation that once again it shows that the most important thing is a family and a strong upbringing. i understand the two-parent household thing. i also understand why there's a lot of single patients because you might not be able to find a life partner to raise your children with, but there's just no denying the fact that if you are a stable -- have a stable family, that you have -- you are more likely to be able to get into that upper income level than if you are raised in an impoverished situation, you're more likely to stay that way. >> the other thing about that report that i found interesting is in areas, in poor areas of the country, like detroit and other places, even white people have lost ground. i mean, when you are living in a poverty area, poverty census area, they are not doing well, and they can't get out. the question is about mobility. that's the other thing. where do they go to get jobs? >> part of it is something -- well, you could build a keystone pipeline and it goes right through that area where you might want to be able to help.
1:13 am
if i could make a plug for a book that we've talked about here for the past year and a half, charles murray wrote a book called "coming apart" where he takes exactly that point of the low income white areas, looks at white people, low income white areas and high income white areas and talks about the five things they need to be successive or to be predictive of how they won't be successful and then you can have a decent policy debate out of that. >> all right. >> got to go. >> got to go. >> nothing else to say about obama? >> i'm done. >> i'm done. >> all right. >> ahead, is calling someone a thug a more acceptable way of calling them the "n" word? prepare for that in a new rant from seahawks cornerback richard sherman next. plus, late night legend jay leno is getting ready to pass his "tonight show" torch to jimmy fallon really soon. how does he really feel about being replaced? you'll hear from him coming up on "the five."
1:14 am
1:15 am
1:16 am
1:17 am
1:18 am
welcome back, everybody. the fastest seven minutes on cable news is on fire. three hot stories, seven hasty minute and one high-spirited host. first up, jay leno set to vacate "the tonight show" host seat he's so aptly occupied for over 20 years. jay sat down with "60 minutes" and steve kroft and here's jay being open and honest in a jay leno lovable way. >> you would have liked to stay? >> it's not my decision. i think i probably would stayed if we didn't have an extremely qualified young guy ready to jump n.sure, i probably would have stayed a little longer, but we have somebody very good, very talent that altalen talented. he's probably more like the young johnny than anybody since so he's really good so you go with the new guy. makes perfect sense to me. if they said, look, you're fired. we don't know who we're going to dpo get, don't know what we're going to put in there but anybody but you we just want you out.
1:19 am
i would be hurt and offended, but this makes perfect sense to me. i understand it. >> say what you just said. >> i said a lot of stuff, the part where i said i love him. >> yeah. >> i've always loved him and this is a really good reason why. i think he's just generous in his praise and his spirit always, and he's had a consistent pattern of that, not just in this opportunity and moment with "60 minutes" but when they were facing budget cuts. he took a personal pay cut and took money to his staff instead. that's what he does, what a leader does, and he's just magnanimous. couldn't have handled it better, right, dana, from a communication perspective. if you prepped him for an interview ahead of time. >> the great thing about somebody like jay you don't need to prep him for an interview. he's an extremely gracious person. also, i don't think we've seen the last of him. >> right. >> but i'm not saying i know what he's going to do next, might not even be television what he decides to do next, but when you have that much talent and life ahead of you, then you're going to do something great. >> and likability. what do you hear people bad mouth jay leno.
1:20 am
>> i'm going to do it. >> save it for one second. >> i was going to say i thought one of the most telling things about this when he said fallon was the next johnny carson. he had to go through a lot on that when he had to take that over, and this was the icon. he said this guy -- >> very, very humble. >> you want to -- >> absolutely not. i was saying that because i was getting really bored by this. leno is happy because he gets to drive around culver city in his 1937 rolls royce boat tail speedster. >> topic two, richard sherman, the much covered seattle seahawk continues to make news post-rant. hear the star quarterback complains his aversion to the word thug making him feel the same way as if somebody used the "n" word on him. >> it seems like the accepted way of somebody calling the "n" word nowadays. everybody out there is the "n" word and everybody else is thug and that's fine. that's where it kind of takes me
1:21 am
aback and it's kind of disappointing because they know. what's the definition of a thug really? >> i defended your rant. i'll have to push back on the thug connotation. greg, your thoughts on that? >> it's weird, because it suggests that white people cannot be thugs which is racist, and it kind of screws up all the left wing bloggers who use the phrase rethuglican. what are they going to do now, is it now the "t" word? >> i actually agree with him. >> with richard sherman. >> i agree with him, that -- i'm not saying that i would equate the "n" word with thug, but i would say that you have a right as someone who was called a lot of things the other day to express how you made that feel, and so i think he's fine. >> bob? >> you just used the word thug. i was going to say, it's one of my favorite words. i completely disagree with that line of thinking. listen, when he was talking about the "n" word, look at the tweets he got after he said that. it was the "n" word.
1:22 am
it wasn't any thug thrown in there, and let me just say this very bluntly. he's still a thug. >> let's move on. >> how do you want me to fix that? >> want to try. >> i don't even know. >> i thought he was articulate. he's well spoken and had a great gpa. he's an educated man and is an outstanding cornerback. see how he delivers if this controversy gets in his head for the super bowl. i think he'll be able to answer the critics with some excellent play. >> we'll leave it there. not sure where we're going with this. staying in the world of oval balls on february 2nd for the first time ever, ever -- >> that was like a weird thing. >> will be played in a cold weather city and in an open-air stadium. personally i love watching a good football game in a cold, snowy wintry field like lambeau field. here's the nfl commissioner deciding to play ball old school. >> obviously when you're playing in an outdoor climate like this you have to recognize that weather can play a factor. we're an outdoor sport so we came here knowing that it would
1:23 am
be cold and this would be some of our challenges. >> bobby, you concerned about the outdoor cold? >> i'm concerned a bit, but this argument has been going on with cold weather stadiums for a long time. always wanted the super bowl but has always gone to dome stadiums. went north to minnesota it went to a domed stadium. it is a cold weather sport, but i'm telling you, if it was a day like today, people are hurt. i've played not quite this cold but the frozen tundra is not my idea of -- >> what's better than watching a good ball game with a lot of snow on the field, guys hitting each other? >> being inside my apartment watching it on my tv with my chicken wings and my pepperoni pizza. >> can i come? >> yes, please host him this time. >> exactly. last time bob ate all the pot roast. >> i'll be in bed. >> too late for dana because east coast, it's just so late. >> greg, where are you going to be for the super bowl? >> where am i going to be? i'm going to a warm sports bar. it's right around the corner from me. it's all these dudes though, and they are really fit so aim i'm
1:24 am
assuming it's a sports bar, right? >> definitely. >> midriffs, could be shirtless. >> called locker room. >> there's other kinds of bars, too. >> i do wish, and i understand the west coast stuff, primetime stuff, do wish the game aired a little bit earlier so more people could enjoy it. >> i watched games at mile high stadium when it was mile high stadium. it would 30 degrees and it feels like summer. could wear a t-shirt and watch a ball game there. >> don't make me miserable. >> i'm already homesick. >> we've got to go. >> coming up, we'll show you some controversial new veds put out by celebrities on the anniversary of "roe v. wade." one of these features a foul-mouthed jesus-like character who appears in a psa to promote abortion. the outrage coming up.
1:25 am
1:26 am
1:27 am
1:28 am
1:29 am
yesterday thousands of pro-lifers braved the frigid temperatures for the march for life in washington, and last night fox's brit human used the occasion to commemorate their annual rally. >> the biggest chain of abortion clinics in the country refers to itself as planned parenthood n.2012 this organization says it carried out, quote, abortion procedures 329,445 times. whatever that number represents it's not parenthood. these protesters here today understand that there's something deeply false and wrong about all of this. they come each year to remine the rest of us. >> celebs on the other hand chose a different way to honor the 41st anniversary of "roe v. wade." sarah silverman used the occasion to mock both jesus and pro-life people. >> jesus, when does life begin?
1:30 am
>> at 40. >> what? >> and he was like -- >> the fertilized eggs aren't people, people are people. >> and i was like -- >> thank you. >> people who believe people are fertilized eggs are people, too. you have to love them. you're not better than them. >> and i was like you're right. >> actor mark russell shied away from comedy yet called the right to have abortion a, quote, moral issue. >> i can't stand aside with two beautiful young girls of my own and accept that we're going to return to those days. it becomes kind of a moral issue about who you are, you nknow an how you view women in your life. >> all right. he tried to kind of shy away from it. did he do a good job of that, dana, or did he skirt the issue? >> he and i just look at the world completely different
1:31 am
differently, and the reason this issue has changed over time is because the saying used to be that abortion should be allowed in cases -- make it legal, safe and rare. it is not rare, and technology i think has played a role in that because the pro-life movement is actually growing, and they had a lot of people in the freezing frigid temperatures and there's technology and persuasion of a story and there's belief. you take all three of those together, and that's when you have the ability for a movement to be -- to stay strong, even though abortion is going to remain legal. i don't think that that is at risk. i have a hard time reconciling what he was talking about with his two little girls. i thought that was an anti-abortion ad when he was first talking. >> a little bit of a mixed message and he certainly loves having his children. >> of course. >> and, i mean, yeah. i like brit human's point, eric, about planned parenthood, nothing parent about it.
1:32 am
>> can i make a little point, the difference between the left and the right. a couple days ago on martin luther king's -- the anniversary of martin luther king's death i believe, if i'm not mistaken, the nra put out an ad with a very hip, very young, very smart, very articulate black man who said martin luther king would want a gun if he were living a gun and didn't want a gun way back then. some of our friends at the table were outraged that they could do that on martin luther king. i feel the same anger bubbling up for them to do this on the "roe v. wade" 41st anniversary and mocking, instead, using the different tack of mocking jesus. >> sarah silverman in particular. >> the idea that abortion is killing a baby, which i believe, and i just think it's absolutely disgusting but highlights how ridiculous the left is. >> it's not all left. i'm on the left and i'm opposed to abortion, i didn't used to be. i used to be on some pro-choice boards which i got thrown off
1:33 am
when i found faith and i realized it wasn't consistent with my faith. however, having said that, brit's comments were interesting, but planned parenthood does a lot more than do abortions, one. two, dana's point is well taken. the demographics of the pro-life movement have been dramatically changed. it's getting younger. it's not -- and it's getting more urbanized. more people from the east and west coast who are in this. it is a growing force, and i'll tell you politically it used to be the safest place to be was pro-choice. now it's a much more different situation, much more different, that makes sense. and i find using jesus in anything. >> very offenseive. >> that is secular is just beyond comprehension. >> that was in very poor taste. she's a comedian, and i don't find anything funny actually about her or that skit, and either does jimmy kimmel because he dubbed her, good job. >> you can do anything you want with jesus, just don't use muhammad or go to jail.
1:34 am
>> or die. >> imagine though if the artistic class cared about the unborn the way they did the environment, you would have a movie called "six months a fetus" but it's a political cog in a maine mah sheen to extract humanity from humanity. a fetus is not a living thing but a tumor with fingers and legs who stands between you and your aspirations and careers, opposite of radicalism. artists like to portray themselves on the edge but the real radical rebel is a pro-lifer in pop culture. >> all right. >> next on the-5-a very special anniversary this week for a very special man. we're going to look back on the inauguration of president george h.w. bush 5 years lat25 years lg right up so stay with us. ;ñ;ñ;ñ
1:35 am
1:36 am
[ male announcer ] meet mary.
1:37 am
she loves to shop online with her debit card. and so does bill, an identity thief who stole mary's identity, took over her bank accounts, and stole her hard-earned money. unfortunately, millions of americans just like you learn all it may take is a little misplaced information to wreak havoc on your life. this is identity theft. and no one helps stop it better than lifelock. lifelock offers the most comprehensive identity theft protection available. if mary had lifelock's bank account alerts, she may have been notified before it was too late. lifelock's credit notification service is on the job 24/7. as soon as they detect a threat to your identity within their network, they will alert you, protecting you before the damage is done. lifelock has the most comprehensive identity theft protection available, guarding your social security number, your money, your credit, even the equity in your home. my years as a prosecutor taught me that we all need to protect ourselves from crime.
1:38 am
in today's world, that includes identity theft. it's a serious problem. we all have to protect ourselves. [ male announcer ] while identity theft can't be completely stopped, no one works harder to protect you than lifelock. you even get a $1 million service guarantee. that's security no one can beat. you have so much to protect and nothing to lose when you call lifelock right now and get 60 days of identity theft protection risk free. that's right. 60 days risk free. use promo code notme. order now and get this document shredder to keep sensitive documents out of the wrong hands. a $29 value free. don't wait until you become the next victim. ♪ ♪
1:39 am
>> i, george herbert walker bush, do solemnly swear. >> that i will faithfully execute the office of president of the united states. >> that i will faithfully execute the offers of president of the united states. >> so help me god. >> so help me god. >> congratulations. >> that was president h.w. bush at his inauguration 25 years ago. the anniversary was monday, and there's a celebration later today in washington at the u.s. chamber of commerce. 41 is now 89, and he tweeted that it's still hard for him to believe that he had the honor to serve as president. fox's brit hume was there on that day on january 20th, 1989. he spent a lot of time covering the president's campaign the year before, and here's what he remembers from it. >> it was a bright sunny day which was a great blessing for those of us who were outdoors. i was up on the stand in among the bush family, and i remember the speech -- the speech, if memory serves, is the one in
1:40 am
which he said this would be the age of the outstretched hand. >> i'm putting out my hand to you, mr. speaker. i'm putting out my hand to you, mr. majority leader. for this is the thing. this is the age of the offered hand. let us negotiate soon and hard but in the end let us produce. the american people await action. >> that kind of stuck with me because it was very like president bush to take that approach. >> well, we appreciate brit hume taping that for us here on the 5. he has a great special featuring president bush's extraordinary life of service, and here's a short clip from that. >> my friend, we have work to do. they are the homeless, lost and roaming. today more than ever we need community service. everyone has a gift to give and every one of us has a special talent. this is the genius of america.
1:41 am
>> president bush, he's probably the most complete person i've ever met. he is smart. he's humble. >> i don't think you'll ever find a more thoughtful or considerate person than george bush. >> bob, when i mentioned to you earlier this week that it was the 25th anniversary, i realized it was actually the first time i think in my life that i could remember something that actually happened -- i remember watching that 25 years ago, and i felt kind of old. >> i was with the other network there and i was there as well. the thing about george bush, i met him first in the oval office when i came back from nicaragua when democrats and republicans went down to monitor the first elections under the sandinistas and there was a bloodbath down there. we all got caught in it so mary matalin and i went in to show pictures to president bush of people hit with machetes. a very violent day that day. we barely got out of there, but he was so gracious and so kind, and i tell you, when i listen to
1:42 am
what he says here, the outstretched hand, and i think about where we are today. the difference is remarkable, and this is a man who stuck with what he meant which was negotiation. he negotiated, yes, a tax increase after he said no new taxes which was lee atwater's way of him getting over to the right, and he did the right thing and he got beat for it, and i think he is a terrific human being. >> one of the things that barbara bush says greg is that bill clinton, believe it or not, they run against each other in 1992, but they have become friends, but also that bill clinton thinks of 41 as kind of a father figure. >> mm-hmm. >> what do you think of that? >> it points to an important point about ideology, like who should -- who should you spend your time with, somebody you completely agree with, or somebody you don't, and it point to the fact that you should be spending more time with people you don't agree with because you can influence them. you can't influence somebody who already agrees with you. it's good to find people who disagree that you get along with and then you can brainwash them like i do. >> that's what i've been feeding
1:43 am
bob every sunday night during the football games. >> bob is changing. >> not that much here. george bush went from a 91% favorability rating after desert storm and then took the biggest slide of anybody -- any politician and went on to lose but they blamed ross perot for that, he was a third-party candidate. it wasn't the reason for it. >> i was just going to mention i talked to a predecessor of mine from years ago, marlon fitzwater who served during the reagan administration as press secretary and for george bush 41. i talked to him today. he sent me a note that said president bush understood how to govern and how to extend his views through his managers in government for example, he often would tell people coming to an oval office meeting no politics in this meeting, and it didn't take long for everybody in government to understand that bush was about governing, not about playing politics. but eric, could you make an argument that maybe he should have played more politics at the time? >> it seems like our politics -- politics have divided. we keep going further and further. i kind of find it intriguing to
1:44 am
see the legacies. you look at jimmy carter's legacy, just how the perception of them has changed since they were in office. dramatic changes in some of them. others like president 41 kind of the same, that nice guy who is sincere. >> it's really interesting to hear you say that because marlon came to my house, kimberly, had my little press party one day and i invited marlon to come in, and we had terrible approval ratings, and marlon came, and he talked about how on the day that they left office, that they never thought for a million years that president george h.w. bush would ever be thought of favorably, but how legacy can change in just a few years. >> it sure can, and i think he's beloved, you know. everything that he's done for this country, his service, i just feel sad for america, honestly. i remember watching that and thinking this is a great man with an incredible history and past and the family has dedicated their lives to this country. my only regret is that we didn't get him for two terms, and that's why i'm not so thrilled with ross perot because many
1:45 am
people believe, historians believe had he not run and taken votes away, 41 would have been -- >> he did serve -- he continued to serve in a lot of other ways and we have to go. >> one very quick thing. an incredible man. >> bill clinton, when george h.w. bush lost, very stilted, they didn't get along and now look at them today. it's amazing. >> worked in the administration or want to participate, they will have a big tweet wall thing. if you tweet #bushreunion maybe he'll get to see anything that you want to say to him. >> that's nice. >> next, looking for mountain of youth, some tips that could help you live longer. bob's got those, believe it or not, when "the five" returns.
1:46 am
1:47 am
test test flush for the new mattress models
1:48 am
but sleep train's huge year end clearance is ending soon. for a short time, save hundreds on tempur-pedic mattresses. get the most highly-recommended bed in america at closeout prices. plus, get interest-free financing and free same-day delivery. why wait for the new models? sleep train's year end clearance is ending soon. superior service, best selection, lowest price, guaranteed. ♪ sleep train ♪ your ticket to a better night's sleep ♪
1:49 am
what do you mean? >> want to know how to live a longer life, keep a positive attitude according to a new study. people say people over age 60 who reported higher levels of life satisfaction have higher levels and lower rates of disability. i'm the only one at this table who can speak on this subject for the age category, but some of you are not too far behind.
1:50 am
eric, you're a decade away. >> by the way -- >> i've never forgiven you for the stupid aarp thing. >> do you get the magazine? >> no, i ripped -- i'm sorry, aarp. >> you get the discount. >> stop it. >> can i have it. >> can i make a couple of comments about this? >> i lived a pretty, as many of you know, a pretty rough lifestyle and i changed. >> bad boys can change. >> i'm writing the book, the title is "i should have been dead" and i should have. what i've learned about this it's all grace that i'm here every day. i don't get too upset about things because i shouldn't have been here. the other thing is i don't worry about tomorrow much because i can't do much about it. yesterday's gone, and the other thing i can pass on the reason i carry positive attitudes, i don't carry resentments. they grow and they are a cancer on you. >> they make you sick. >> they do. i have a hard time getting out of bed because of a lot of football injuries but basically my view is if you stay out of your own mind and if you're in your own mind you're behind
1:51 am
enemy lines, believe me, and you try to look at there are no big deals in life. death is a big deal, your kids getting in trouble. by and large no big deals and i try to look at it that way. anybody else got thoughts? >> very quick, sorry, guys, all these things you're saying you do live by. you are the guy who says if you've got a beef, take care of it, fix it and get it in your rear view mirror. >> absolutely. they grow to be bigger than they really are, in fact, and people who look at -- wait a year or something, by that time it's a big major thing, it's not. >> i feel like it's kind of like a part-time job just to keep yourself away from neglect tough people. >> yes. >> actually have to work at it. >> yeah. >> as everyone said. >> is that a jab at me? >> negativity makes positive people sick. >> i have a theory f.positive outlooks which is what this is about helps you live longer then the opposite is true, that negative feelings are deadly which is the strategy, therefore, of obamacare. >> i knew it. >> which creates depression and
1:52 am
misery among older people, causing them to die sooner. it's essentially a psychological death panel. >> you know, i can't wait -- when you're 60 you're going to be a candidate for the death panel. what do you think? what's the thing you take out of life that keeps you positive? >> you're a positive person. >> i am a positive person. growing up without a mom, but i had a wonderful father so i feel so lucky. feel like i had two parents in one body, you know, so you've really got to make the most of what happens, what's coming at you in life and try not to make this life about you, try to help other people. have good perspective, and most of all, you know, be grateful for the blessings that you have in your life. >> can i throw one more thing out there. >> my father was the happiest human being on the planet, never had a bad day in his life. he always said happiness is a choice, and when you really think about that. >> it is. >> absolutely accurate statement. >> a wise, wise man. >> very good. >> all right. one more thing is up next. >> thank you.
1:53 am
1:54 am
1:55 am
time for one more thing. dana, dana bobana. >> you are getting a very well deserved night off. >> thank you very much. >> spend some time with your family and believe it or not i'll be filling in for the guest host of "red eye" which means everybody should learn to work their dvrs except for one man in america, george w. bush, please do not watch this show tonight because i want you to be proud of me. >> from the white house to "red eye" quite a leap downward. >> to a black eye. >> yeah. >> eric. >> okay. february 7th, opening ceremonies for the olympics, check it out. here's what the olympic athletes will be wearing, the men and women. no, no. stay with me right here. can i get the group shot right now also. this year, again, ralph lauren is the designer, remember last olympics they had a problem with
1:56 am
where the uniforms were being made. this is all made in the usa, and here's why i'm doing this. team usashop.org. that's where you did k go because the proceeds go to team usa, logon and buy some stuff and make sure our athletes are well funded again this year. >> like christmas sweaters. >> that's like they couldn't decide what to do so everything got put on. >> that guy looks like josh. >> i think they look amazing. >> that's a woman. >> all right. >> oh, it's me. it's time for -- >> i hate meese these people. >> all right. if you're on an airplane and you're wearing shorts, you shouldn't be on an airplane. let's just decide that right now especially if you're leaving sfo, san francisco and you're arriving in new york city where the temperature -- the temperature is 10 degrees and you're walking out, and you're in shorts. that's idiotic, i'm referring specifically to my brother-in-law who just arrived in shorts from the bay area to
1:57 am
new york city where it is around 10 degrees and freezing. it's an insult to all of us. dress for where you're going, not where you're coming from. that's a different interview. >> how are his legs? >> not bad. he works out. >> you know. >> disgusting how shallow you are. >> bob? >> yeah. i'm happy to report that gallup just completed a survey about who is insured in america, life insurance -- health insurance, rather n.december, just a short month ago 17.3% were uninsured, and now with the first couple of weeks of obamacare, 16.1% are uninsured, a great start. congratulations. >> oh, my gosh. eric, you should have been prepared for that. >> they are all on medicare. >> cai. >> 300,000 people when you boil it down. >> don't sell it short. it's a good step. >> might have a segment on that tomorrow. >> k.g. >> hi. >> all right. got a little update for you. there's going to be a rematch coming on here at fox news, and it's going to be president obama
1:58 am
versus the big man, bill o'reilly. this will be his third interview with the president. he did interview him before the 2011 super bowl, so he's going to be doing this. they will tape or do a live segment during his bolder, fresher tour with dennis miller, and this is going to be airing on the fox broadcast network. this is very exciting. >> i think eric ought to do this interview frankly. >> how much time do we get? >> eric, are you available? >> how much time is he going to get with the president? >> all the details haven't been revealed. >> i want to send in some suggested questions. >> that would be interesting. >> don't forget to set your dvrs so you never miss an epis
1:59 am
2:00 am
>> today is friday, january 24th. a deadly pileup on a major interstate. the chain reaction crash that continues to cripple traffic this morning. >> justin bieber out of jail, but his troubles far from over. the latest on the top star's arrest and how his father may have played a part. >> a young boy run over by a run away car. somehow he walks away. "fox & friends first" starts right now.

113 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on