Skip to main content
Internet Archive's 25th Anniversary Logo

tv   Hannity  FOX News  February 15, 2016 10:00pm-11:01pm PST

10:00 pm
who says monday nights aren't fun in go to facebook.com/the kelly file. tweet me. that's it for tonight. i'm sandra smith. an enthis is "the kelly file." and welcome to "hannity." tonight broadcasting from north charleston, south carolina. 2016 republican presidential candidate former florida governor jeb bush with his brother 43rd president of the united states george w. bush will be here for an exclusive interview. now it's a first time president bush has been on the campaign trail since leaving office. en here's what he said earlier tonight. watch this. >> i came here for two reasons. one, because i care deeply about jeb. and two, because i care deeply about our country. here's some things i think people ought to look for in the next president.
10:01 pm
for starters, i think you ought to look to someone who's had executive experience. he'll assemble a great team of people to whom he'll listen. he'll create a culture in which they can deliver not just the good news, but the bad. he'll listen carefully to their advice and then he's got the backbone necessary to tough decisions on behalf of the american people. >> and joining us now frr an exclusive interview, 2016 republican presidential candidate, former florida governor jeb bush and the 43rd of the president of the united states, george w. bush. good to see you, governor. how are you? >> hi, sean. >> mr. president, when are you? i thought you gave this up for lent. >> brother asked. i love him dearly and know he will be a great president. >> i have interviewed you post leaving office a number of times. you have wanted this run for a long time. >> correct. >> yeah. tell us why.
10:02 pm
>> i love america. we face enormous problems. he can deal with them. handle them. i'm not an expert in a lot of things but i'm pretty knowledgeable about what it takes to be president. >> after eight years. >> since i were one. he's got what it takes. he has character, backbone, philosophy, vision. he can deal with crises. he'd make a really good president. >> you have been through this yourself. south carolina was particularly tough in 2000. really -- >> i don't know. >> you know, not that tough? >> i mean, we won. >> wasn't that tough. >> yeah. i found new hampshire a little tougher in 2000. >> is that right? >> i lost. >> it is a grind. >> when you watch, i know how close you are to your brother and watch the attacks and back and forth, get you mad or frustrated? >> no. i get puzzled sometimes. the campaigns need to be tough because the job is tough.
10:03 pm
we want to see who has the ability to endure. if you wilt on the campaign trail, you'll wilt in the oval office. >> i thought it was a fierce debate on saturday night. how do you feel about it? >> i felt great about it. i got to talk about national security issues and show i had a steady hand and the front running candidate lost it, lost his temper. didn't go his way. he just kind of lost it. when you are president of the united states based on what i see you can't be upset at the drop of a hat. you have to have a steadiness and assuredness so the world knows the united states will be there the you're friends and enemies can't see someone unhinged. >> am i fair in my assessment i thought you've got enbetter in every debate. did you start off slower than you wanted? would you like a re-do? >> i have gotten better at what george was the best.
10:04 pm
discipline. message discipline. i'm not half as good as he is. he stayed on message and over time the effect allowed him to be a president, two times, which is pretty hard to do. so i'm getting better, sure. i'm striving to get better. we are making good progress. >> you used the name jeb. >> yeah. >> you have had dad as president, a brother as president. i've asked you this before. does the last name hurt inasmuch as -- why are you laughing? >> because i used w. >> jeb has been my -- the slogan since 1994. >> yeah. >> i had three races for governor, largest swing state in the country and it's just part of my brand. it's not that i'm disowning my family. this is hard for the rest of the world to see. look. i'm proud of george, proud of my dad. everybody loves my mom. i'm proud to be a bush. but people want the know where you stand, what's your record,
10:05 pm
what are your ideas to help people? it is about them, not our family. you know? that's the issue is most families are really struggling and a lot of people are scared about the future seeing the unraveling of the world and see the lack of u.s. leadership and the people running not giving them much assurance other than a few of us. >> these really are tough times, economically, you know, look at the number of americans out of work, poverty, home ownership down, food stamps and then you have a world with isis, al qaeda. these are tough times. >> exactly. very much so. >> you know, what troubles me is that the lessons of 9/11 are being forgotten by a lot of people. that is the human condition elsewhere matters to our national security. there is -- i tell people that i remember studying pearl harbor and i wanted to, you know, mainly try to memorize the dates so i didn't get a "b" on the quiz but it affected our dad's life to the point where -- >> an my dad.
10:06 pm
>> your dad. same on 9/11. and if we let down our guard, against this group of thugs, they'll hurt us again. the good news is jeb won't let down his guard. >> you think of the san bernardino killings of people, she was radicalized. no one in the state department thought it was -- they thought it was a violation of civil liberties to check her facebook page. >> unbelievable. >> where she advanced jihad before she got her visa. we have to be vigilant. if in the post- 9/11 era if we allow just kind of to move away from protecting the homeland, we will have more of these things. >> what's interesting about the election cycle is foreign policy is a central campaign issue. it wasn't in 2000, for example. and so i hope the voters take a look and see who has the clearest eyed view of the world and a plan to deal with those who plan to do us harm.
10:07 pm
i've looked at jeb's plan. i know how solid it is. the other thing that's needed in the white house and jeb understands this is you set a goal. defeat isis. and then you call upon the people who know how to help you achieve that goal. the military and the intelligence community. and they'll -- and jeb will inspect them. that's what you want. understand how to make decisions and somebody who knows who can help you achieve goals. >> it's interesting, in this campaign we're talking about national security, how almost relitigating post- 9/11 and the iraq war is a big issue, became a big issue on saturday night. you know, i have a tape of bill clinton where he admits in a speech he was offered bin laden on a silver plat enand gives an answer i couldn't justify, no legal justification to take him even though i knew he was a threat and look at cities you were fighting for and won, mosul, romady, tikrit and yet because through the prism of politics we start wars, we don't
10:08 pm
finish them and then lost nearly 5,000 people. >> that's the lesson of iraq the fortitude and the courage of the men and women in uniform that fought so valiantly, led by a commander in chief that did something that was not politically popular but was the right thing to do. when he started, there wasn't much support in congress. but because of lindsay graham, john mccain and many others it built and the surge was successful len and to squander that's the history lesson. you have the win, you got to make sure there's security at the end. and by abandoning -- george told me he would make -- have tell conferences with malaki once a week. isn't that right? >> yeah, absolutely. >> that was being all in. >> right? >> making sure that malaki didn't wander off and resort back to all of the sectarian violence and, you know, dividing up of iraq. the minute he left and petraeus
10:09 pm
and crocker left, as well, the diplomatic and military elements that created the stability went away. that's the lesson. same in libya and other places. you have to be all in. >> the other lesson is isis can be defeated. >> explain that. >> well, this's what the surge -- i mean, i know they call themselves al qaeda. they murder the innocent. terrorize the tribes. they are thugs. public executions. >> evil in our time. >> it is evil in our time. and yet we defeated them. and we defeated them by giving hope to people on the ground. most people don't want to live under the clutches of these thugs and given a chance they will rise up an secure their free doms. >> you were talking about world war ii earlier. my dad like yours fought and four years in the pacific. there was an alliance. this came up and this to me is interesting. you worked for vladimir putin. >> yeah. >> here's in the cold war we
10:10 pm
have the soviet union and united states standing side by side to defeat naziism and, you know, enemy of my enemy is my friend, right? you don't think it's a good idea, you don't trust putin, governor, to -- >> no. look. >> to defeat isis, not a good idea. you don't think he does? >> there's no evidence of it. 95% of his air power is spent to attack the troops we're supporting. >> that's true. >> pretty clear. did point out i think mr. trump's either naivety or lack of interest. putin said something nice about him and i noticed if you say something nice about donald trump he likes it. if you challenge him, he doesn't. so i think part of this is -- >> you've enjoyed the debates with mr. trump, haven't you? >> i enjoy taking him on because i love my country and i love the republican party. i love the conservative cause. and he's hijacking it and so i feel obliged.
10:11 pm
i don't know what the political consequences of this are. maybe a reason no one else is doing it. >> i tried to ask your brother the questions, the president, i won't waste a question on it. you have asked him, right? he'll tell you privately how he feels about president obama, right? he won't tell me. >> talk about message discipline. >> yeah. that's really -- highest form of it, right many. >> tell people why and the reason why -- >> you respect the office. >> i do. i think the office is more important than the occupant. and -- >> pretty profound. you stuck to it over seven years. >> i don't have that discipline. i unload every day. >> what did you wear when you went into the oval office every day? >> coat and tie. >> coat and tie. >> what was the rug? tell the rug story. >> it was a -- >> laura your wife designed it. >> lesson one of leadership, to listen to people who can give you good advice. that's what jeb will do as president. i didn't know much about rugs. she did.
10:12 pm
and designed a rug that looked very optimistic. and so it's really important for the voters to -- is to determine who's got an optimistic outlook, see a better future and that's one of the things i loved about jeb's governorship in florida. he inspired people because of his optimism and will do the same thing as president. >> your record's very conservative. first state that brought school vouchers, an aaa rating, a deficit to a huge surplus, created 1.5 million jobs. and what do you think because you had a brother and father as president, what does that add to you if you get that office? >> i have had a front row seat seeing historien fold. i have seen the recognition that it's never perfect. you don't control everything. in fact, i would say the biggest lesson of watching my dad and george is that the big challenge is unforeseen. we don't know what it will be. >> 9/11. >> yeah. >> there was no campaign issue
10:13 pm
about 9/11 prior to it. >> nope. >> september 10th i was with him in sarasota. we were talking about he had an interesting discussion with tram hudson my friend about a book they were reading about the civil war. >> yeah. >> i mean, the world changed and that's what's going to happen. we could have a pandemic, a natural disaster or attack on our country. almost assured. >> think about the reality or possibility is scary. >> yeah. so the question is who do you want sitting behind the big desk when that happens? that's my case is that i have a steady hand and i will lead the country through tumultuous events. that's what i believe i can do because i learned to do it as governor of the state of florida. >> i know you can do it. >> all right. i think you have one vote right there. we'll take a break. more of our exclusive interview with florida governor and president george w. bush. also checking in with senator ted cruz from
10:14 pm
♪ every auto insurance policy has a number. but not every insurance company understands the life behind it. ♪ those who have served our nation have earned the very best service in return. ♪ usaa. we know what it means to serve. get an auto insurance quote and see why 92% of our members plan to stay for life.
10:15 pm
we're always looking for ways to speed up your car insurance search. here's the latest. problem is, we haven't figured out how to reverse it. for now, just log on to compare.com... plug in some simple info and get up to 50 free quotes. choose the lowest and hit purchase. now...if you'll excuse me, i'm late for an important function. compare.com. saving humanity from high insurance rates.
10:16 pm
live from america's news headquarters, i'm kelly wright. questions surround the death of supreme court justice antonin scalia. they stem from a judge's ruling that no autopsy was necessary. the judge explains she came to her decision after speaking with scalia's doctor who confirmed that the justice had a history of heart trouble and other illnesses. the judge said that medical history and the lack of any signs of foul play meant the justice likely died of natural causes. scalia was found dead in his room at a texas resort ranch saturday. he was 79. pope francis resumes his five-day tour of mexico tuesday morning.
10:17 pm
and the state of michoacan. on monday, the pope visited the impoverished state where he denounced the exploitation and exclusion of the nation's indigenous people. that's the news. i'm kelly wright. when the american president speaks, the world listens. you can trust jeb bush to be measured and thoughtful on the world stage. our enemies and allies will know that when president jeb bush speaks, he will follow through on his words. >> and welcome back. we continue with 2016 republican presidential candidate former florida governor, his brother president george w. bush. you like being back out here? fun for you? >> yeah. i believe in the cause. it is not going to be a hbt. >> is that right? one-time deal. >> i'm a sensitive artist now. and -- >> these paintings will be worth something. i saw the one of dana perino's
10:18 pm
puppy jasper. >> jasper liked it. >> i think dana liked it too. how about your brother? >> not yet. >> waiting for him to get out of the primitive period. >> is that right? all the stages of artistry? that's cold. we lost justice scalia. >> yeah. >> i think i have learned so much listening to argument s before the supreme court from him. he was so sharp, intellectually solid. a conservative. there's now a big debate, mitch mcconnell said wait until the next president. the last 80 years we have not appointed a supreme court justice in an election year. your snaugt. >> i this that's right. the senate has every right to either have an up or down vote or to defer. i don't think there's any problem with doing that. this should be an election year issue. it really should because if you go 5-4 the other way, you could
10:19 pm
see the second amendment being wiped out off the face of the earth. you could see religious freedom imperilled. there's a lot at stake here. i think all the candidates left and right to use this as a basis to outline the judicial philosophy. to create a mandate for the next appointments. >> yeah. you got the opportunity to appoint a couple of supreme court justices. >> i did. >> and you knew justice scalia well. >> i did know him, liked him. he was a funny man. yeah. listen, it's a big deal to put somebody on the bench for alife jeb because appointed people to a bench before in florida and got a record that people can look at. >> you have to be all in on making that selection. i think the next pick has to be someone with a proven record so as to know they weren't a candidate, they had a proven record that you could look back to create consistency. we will have a divided court for
10:20 pm
a while and important to pick someone who has been in the judiciary and then a white because this will be a massive fight. >> a big fight. i agree with you. since robert bork and then clarence thomas. chuck schumer was clear that you would not be able to appoint another supreme court justice. now he's outraged. >> this is horrible. >> as close of a political question to ask you. >> i didn't appoint one after 2007. >> yes. >> that's schumerism. >> is that a schumerism? >> definitely. >> the way washington is. >> yeah. >> in a way. you know? a lot of them are for an issue at one point and then getting the upper hand they, you know, somebody else's turn. it's too bad. >> scalia was a lover of liberty and a protection, you know, of us from government. and the idea would be to pick someone like this.
10:21 pm
>> you know, we hear so much this year about -- i have used the term a lot and i'm guilty as anybody else. insurgency candidacies and cabinet. i interviewed you and i read 400 pages on you. i read your whole record, time as governor in florida and said to you on stage, that's a conservative record. you have pretty much, it's because of two issues, immigration and common core. people think you're the establishment lane. >> well, i'm in the establishment lane because i'm the brother of a president and the son of a president. and i embrace that because that's something i'm proud of. >> you have a conservative record. >> it's disruption, challenging the status quo on behalf of people and it worked. we led the nation in job growth 7 out of 8 years. income grew at 4.4%. government grew after half of that. they called me veto corlioni.
10:22 pm
we had more opportunities. these were disrupt. you can fire someone for cause in the state government. these were pretty difficult things to accomplish. the status quo in tallahassee -- >> did any other state create a million and a half i don't knows in that period? >> no. texas -- california and texas were behind us but george had already left. texas has it going, a good business climate and south carolina for that matter. there's a -- you can see the states that lower taxes, focus on regulatory reform. if there's a problem, haf governor that is try to fix it. we need that in washington. you can take the illinois path and governor rounder doing the best. that's an entrenched status quo to be disrupted or take the florida -- >> how well the republican governors are done. and i think the frustration of washington republicans is different than states like wisconsin and michigan and --
10:23 pm
>> absolutely. >> and even in florida and elsewhere. did you count on your brother when you were president? >> yeah, some. >> a little? >> i tell you what i counted on is leading florida when the hurricanes hit. he did a fabulous job. >> you had a lot of hurricanes. >> seven. >> eight. >> excuse me. eight. >> okay. >> eight hurricanes, four tropical storms in 16 months. >> all right. >> one thing i didn't do? >> what what? >> i didn't blame fema. >> that's a good point. >> this is the part i found so amazing and barack obama's one good thing he's done if there's only one is appointing my director of emergency management to be the director of fema. >> amazing. new orleans had five days notice and the times pick hun predicted what would happen and it happened. >> yeah. >> go back to when you both were young. did you fight? >> well, when you're 18, you don't want to hang around with your 11-year-old brother. >> ouch. ouch. >> until i -- >> he wasn't drinking beer. >> okay.
10:24 pm
at the i'm? >> how do you know? >> i might have been. i hope not. >> you were too? >> no, no. >> who's more incorrigible? >> george. >> how could you do that to your father, the nicest man in the world? >> it was not my father. it was my mother. i'm a lacquer. >> is that, right? you're like her? >> my daddy's eyes and my mother's mouth. >> thank you for your time. >> thank you. >> five days to go. >> congratulations. >> nice to be with you again. like the old days. >> like the old days. thank you. when we come back, the countdown to the republican primary and when heartburn hits fight back fast tums smoothies starts dissolving the instant it touches your tongue and neutralizes stomach acid at the source tum, tum, tum, tum smoothies! only from tums
10:25 pm
they say you shouldn't spoil your kids. but your grandkids? how about front row seats to the best show in town? and that is why you invest. the best returns aren't just measured in dollars. td ameritrade®. you're not thinking about all the money you saved by booking your flight, rental car, and hotel together. all you're thinking about, is making sure your little animal, enjoys her first trip to the kingdom.
10:26 pm
expedia, technology connecting you to what matters. with heart failure, danger is always on the rise. symptoms worsen because your heart isn't pumping well. (water filling room) about 50 percent of people die (dog whimpering) within 5 years of getting diagnosed. but there's something you can do. talk to your doctor about heart failure treatment options. because the more you know, the more likely you are... (dog whimpering) to keep it pumping. joining us now from the campaign trail, right here in the palmetto state, 2016 republican presidential candidate senator ted cruz. senator, good to see you. >> sean, always good to be with you. >> all right. let's start with the polls.
10:27 pm
we got the real clear politics average. you are up to 20 points in 2 separate polls. your average at 17. you have a pretty strong lead for second place. the numbers look like new hampshire. how do you get the numbers to where you want them to be in iowa as you move forward? >> well, listen. i'm very encouraged because we are seeing happening here in south carolina what we saw happen in iowa. we are seeing conservatives uniting and coming together behind our campaign and as we go into the last week, south carolinans are looking closely at the candidates and i think the debate saturday had a powerful impact on the race. i think there are two thing that is are significant for south carolinans. the first is -- >> let me -- >> the passing of justice -- the first is the passing of justice scalia and that really underscores the stakes of this election, that the supreme court hangs in the balance. our constitutional rights hang in the balance. i think south carolinans are looking to e laekt president who
10:28 pm
they can trust, who they know will put as their top priority defending the constitution and defending the bill of rights because we risk losing our basic rights with one more liberal justice on the court we would have a five-justice left wing majority that would undermine our constitutional rights for a generation. >> let me go to senator chuck schumer. at a very different position, 18 months left in george w. bush's presidency. he said, no more supreme court appointments. compare to what he said then to now and get your response. >> the job first and foremost is for the president to nominate and for the senate to hold hearings and go through the process. you know, the constitution, ted cruz holds the constitution, when he walks through the halls of congress. let him show me the clause that says the president is only president for three years.
10:29 pm
to leave the supreme court vacant for 300 days, this obstructionism isn't going to last. you know, we democrats didn't do this. >> we should not confirm any bush nominee to the supreme court except in extraordinary circumstances. they must prove -- [ applause ] they must prove by actions not words that they're in the mainstream rather than we have to prove that they are not. >> do you suspect that your party will hold the line on this very important issue because i'd like to believe they would? >> well, i certainly hope so. you know, no one should be surprised to see chuck schumer and the democrats being hypocritical. that's been their pattern. but in the last -- it's been 80 years since the senate has confirmed a supreme court justice nominated in an election year. and we shouldn't suddenly start now. the court is exquisitely divided.
10:30 pm
justice scalia was a lion of the court of the constitution. someone i knew for 20 years and an extraordinary jurist and the entire balance of power on the court hangs in the balance here. i believe we should make 2016 a referendum on the u.s. supreme court. let the voters divide. if the democrats want to fill the vacancy, think need to win in november. i can't wait to stand on the stage be hillary clinton or bernie sanders and debate before the american people what vision of the court they want because under hillary or bernie we will have a court to read the second amendment take out of the individual right to keep and bear arms, we will have a court to mandate abortion on demand with no limitations nationwide, a court to mandate tearing down our religious liberty and restricting the ability to worship god almighty. i don't think that's what the american people want and i also believe that that issue has
10:31 pm
become front and center in the republican primary, this south carolinans are looking at the candidates, i think justice scalia's passing puts a lot of attention on donald trump, on the fact that he cannot be trusted to nominate conservatives to the court given that for 60 years of his life he described himself as very pro-choice, pro-choice in every respect, supporting partial birth abortion and given that, over four decades he donated to jimmy carter and supported him against ronald reagan. he supported hillary clinton, supported john kerry, chuck schumer. supported harry reed and anyone to contribute to all of those left wing politicians, does not care about having conservative supreme court justices on the court because every one of those fought tooth and nail against it. and if we elect a president, a democrater 0 a republican that doesn't have a commitment to defending the constitution, the result is going to be the bill of rights badly damaged and the
10:32 pm
second amendment effectively written out of the constitution ai agree. this is a critical issue. i'm of the belief like we haven't done in 80 years, we shouldn't do now in an election year. this is heated. i watched saturday night's debate, rubio and trump out there attacking you. i'm going to play that. donald trump threatening to sue you and get your reaction to what they have said. >> look. this is a disturbing pattern now. for a number of weeks ted cruz telling lies. lied about ben carson in iowa. he lies about marriage. he's lying about all sorts of things and now makes things up. >> single biggest liar. let me tell you. he lied about ben carson taking votes away from ben carson in iowa. and he just continues. >> he'll apologize. i don't want an apology after the election. i want it before. and if he doesn't, i'll bring a lawsuit because in my opinion based on what i have learned
10:33 pm
over two, three days from very top lawyers he doesn't have the right to serve as president. or even run as president. he's born in canada. i'll bring the lawsuit if he doesn't apologize. >> all right. senator, look. south carolina is known for being the part of the campaign where it gets very harsh. but i think it's fair to give you an opportunity to respond. >> well, listen, sean. it really is remarkable and it's quite odd that both marco rubio and donald trump respond the same way. which is that when anyone points to their actual records they get very upset and begin screaming liar, liar, liar. a very odd thing. so, for example, with marco, the statement that i made is i said on immigration, marco's position right now is he supports a pathway to citizenship for the 12 million people who are here illegally. that is a fact. it's a fact that he said two, three debates ago on the debate stage, told chuck todd he
10:34 pm
supported granting citizenship to illegals even if they committed crimes. that's a fact he may not like it. he's caught on video saying it li likewise i pointed out in florida speaker of the house, he supported giving in-state tuition to illegal aliens. finally, i pointed out that he went on univision and in spanish he promised that he would not on the first day in office rescind president obama's illegal executive action. that again is a fact. all three of those are his record and on video and for some reason i think the video said if anyone points out your record, attack. i don't intend to respond in kind. i'm not going to insult marco or donald or anyone else but it's a very odd thing when they're arguing with their own record and donald did the same thing. i pointed out donald's record of pro-choice for 60 years, supporting marble birth abortion and donald even today supporting
10:35 pm
taxpayer funding for planned parenthood and donald just like marco screaming liar liar and he said when did i ever say? debating defunding planned parenthood you talked about how wonderful planned parenthood was. and then you recall, sean, quite bizarre donald began saying that's right. he thinks planned parenthood is wonderful. it's terrific. that was the thing he just called me a liar on. and it's a very odd strategy of trying to hide your record from the voters and just screaming insults and liar and the good thing is the people of south carolina will get to the bottom of the truth and they're looking to records. that's why they're uniting behind our campaign. >> all right. senator ted cruz, always good to have you. appreciate it. and when we come back, we'll be constipated? trust number one doctor recommended dulcolax use dulcolax tablets for gentle overnight relief suppositories for relief in minutes and stool softeners for comfortable relief of hard stools.
10:36 pm
dulcolax, designed for dependable relief you'rewhen a majestic beastwoods runs into view. then you run into a tree. but your totaled new car isn't totally replaced. with new car replacement, we'll replace the full value of your car plus depreciation. liberty mutual insurance. the bold nissan rogue, with intuitive all-wheel drive. because winter needs a hero. now get a $189 per month lease on the 2016 nissan rogue. nissan. innovation that excites. i'i like to think of myself as more of a control... enthusiast. mmm, a perfect 177-degrees.
10:37 pm
and that's why this road warrior rents from national. i can bypass the counter and go straight to my car. and i don't have to talk to any humans, unless i want to. and i don't. and national lets me choose any car in the aisle. control. it's so, what's the word?... sexy. go national. go like a pro.
10:38 pm
10:39 pm
10:40 pm
welcome back.
10:41 pm
we're only five days away from the south carolina republican primary and senator marco rubio is gaining momentum after recently picking up two key endorsements out of the palmetto state. joining us now florida senator marco rubio along with south carolina congressman trey gowdy and south carolina senator tim scott. both have endorsed marco rubio for president. good to see you guys. welcome. i'm welcoming in your state. good to see you all. >> thank you, good to be with you. >> thank you. >> all right. senator rubio, let's start with it's gotten very heated. both you and trump going after ted cruz. both used the word liar. south carolina's known for tough politics. where do you stand with all the candidates? is it now gloves off time? >> no. i just don't -- i mean, i think ted over the last few weeks shown a propensity to say things that are not true and if you do
10:42 pm
and you know it's not true it's a lie. he is not telling the truth about marriage, not telling the truth about the issue of planned parenthood. on my stance on life. so this is a problem. we need to clarify it. it's important to know truth and so when someone says something about me that's not true and does so repeatedly as he did to ben carson paying for robo calls in iowa saying he was dropping out of the race it is a disturbing pattern. it is an important factor in the race. other than that, i remain focused on the election should be about which is how do we reverse the damage that the spth doing so this country. >> well said. senator scott, your popularity in the state is like 80%. you now have endorsed senator rubio. why did you pick senator rubio over the other candidates? >> i have the good fortune of hosting 12 of the presidential candidates in a one on one forum and without question head and shoulders above the other 11
10:43 pm
candidates is marco rubio. when i think about the fact my brother's a colonel in the air force, i think about the guy i want leading this country on day one as commander in chief, my answer was simply, marco rubio. when i think about understanding and appreciating how to get the economy, the stagnant economy with negative impact on so many middle income families, who best to resurrect this notion of economic growth, marco rubio. and when i think about the conservative, not just republican but a conservative who can inspire a new generation of voters, marco rubio. easy, easy choice for me. >> you know, congressman, i want to go to your prosecutorial mind and you are obviously very popular in the conservative community across the country. and you made the choice, as well. you're two of the most popular politicians here in south carolina. what was the reasoning behind your endorsement? >> well, sean, thank you for the compliment. marco rubio is as conservative as anybody in this race.
10:44 pm
and i sit there and think his heritage score is higher than mine and tim's. tim may not want me saying that on television but marco rubio's conservative as anybody in the race so you have a conservative who communicates our message in a hopeful, aspirational and therefore persuasive way and can win in november. we have a vivid reminder, saturday, sean, i'm sure you talk about it, passing of justice scalia. the next president will make one, possibly two or three supreme court nominations and so i want to win in november and when you have a principled conservative who can win, it made it pretty easy for me. >> senator rubio and senator scott, senator rubio, respond first, do you agree with mitch mcconnell? we have not had a confirmation for a supreme court untnominati
10:45 pm
hearing in a presidential election year? >> without a doubt. in the last year of a presidency, we don't even -- some point we stop doing appellate judges. this is a lifetime appointment. this person could be there until the day they dee. no way to remove a justice unless you impeach him for bad behavior. the bottom line is the balance of the court is at stake. justice scalia is one of the finest if not the finest jurist of the original intent of the constitution. he needs to be replaced we someone that will continue that. they can function with eight justices. the term ends this year and then an election in november where the voters get to weigh in on the jus think so they want casting the right vote for the president and then i believe i'll be president and appoint someone like justice scalia. >> i'll probably say simply absolutely, positively we need to make sure that the next president and not the current president appoints the next supreme court justice.
10:46 pm
>> senator scott, do you think that the republicans in the senate, there's been a lot of criticism, not using the power of the purse, for example, in the house on obamacare, issues involving the president's executive amnesty, for example, are you confident republican senators will hold the line on this issue? >> i've been talking to republican senators all week long. that's no doubt in my mind without any question we will hold the line and make sure that the next president is in the position to appoint the next supreme court justice and hopefully two more because it is so important that we maintain this equilibrium for several years on the court. this means that we need to have a juggernaut of a conservative to replace scalia. >> yeah. we'll take a ♪ these little guys? they represent blood cells. and if you have afib - an irregular heartbeat that may put you at five times greater risk of stroke -
10:47 pm
they can pool together in the heart, forming a clot that can break free, and travel upstream to the brain where it can block blood flow and cause a stroke. but if you have afib that's not caused by a heart valve problem, pradaxa can help stop clots from forming. pradaxa was even proven superior to warfarin at reducing the risk of stroke, in a clinical trial - without the need for regular blood tests. and, in the rare event of an emergency, pradaxa is the only oral blood thinner other than warfarin with a specific reversal treatment to help your body clot normally again. pradaxa is not for people who have had a heart valve replacement. don't stop taking pradaxa without talking to your doctor. stopping increases your risk of stroke or blood clots. ask your doctor if you need to stop pradaxa before any planned medical or dental procedure. pradaxa can cause serious, and sometimes, fatal bleeding. don't take pradaxa if you have abnormal bleeding. and seek immediate medical care for unexpected signs of bleeding, like unusual bruising. pradaxa may increase your bleeding risk if you're 75 or older, have kidney problems, stomach ulcers,
10:48 pm
a bleeding condition, or take certain medicines. side effects with pradaxa can include indigestion, stomach pain, upset or burning. don't just go with the flow. go with pradaxa, the only blood thinner that lowers your risk of stroke better than warfarin and has a specific reversal treatment. talk to your doctor about pradaxa today. what hand paired with even getmore lobster?ked, you get hungry. and you count the seconds until red lobster's lobsterfest is back with the largest variety of lobster dishes of the year. like new dueling lobster tails with one tail stuffed with crab, and the other with langostino lobster mac-and-cheese, it's a party on a plate! and you know every bite of 'lobster lover's dream' lives up to its name. hey, eating is believing. so stop dreaming and start eating.
10:49 pm
rethink.
10:50 pm
reimagine. because right here, right now. it's time to take a closer look at botox® cosmetic, the only fda approved treatment for the temporary improvement of both moderate to severe frown lines and crow's feet. see what real results can really look like. so talk to your doctor about botox® cosmetic. and make it part of what you do for you. the effects of botox® cosmetic, may spread hours to weeks after injection, causing serious symptoms. alert your doctor right away, as difficulty swallowing, speaking, breathing, eye problems, or muscle weakness can be a sign of a life-threathening condition. do not take botox® cosmetic if you have a skin infection. side effects may include allergic reactions, injection site pain, eyelid drooping and swelling. tell your doctor about your medical history, muscle or nerve conditions and medications including botulinum toxins, as these may increase the risk of serious side effects. look me... in the eyes... and see what's possible... botox® cosmetic. it's time to take a closer look.
10:51 pm
. welcome back to "hannity" still with us for 2016 republican candidates senator marco rubio, and senator tim scott. congressman gowdy, senator scott, we'll start with you. you now have senator rubio on a solid third place. you know the state is known for rough and tumble politics. how does he get over the finish
10:52 pm
line on top, which is where i know where you want him to be? congressman? >> well, he had a great night saturday night. he looked so presidential and may be the youngest from a chronological standpoint but seemed like an adult saturday night in greenville. so he's also got the most popular elected official in the state supporting him and going around the state. i think when people get to meet marco, when people get to hear him and meet him and ask questions they wind up supporting him. it's my job to get as many people across the state. >> the most popular politician in south carolina is tray gowdy. and here is the truth. our endorse manies are important, perhaps a little bit and let marco be marco.
10:53 pm
and put him in front of the audience and voters and i believe he climbs from first, second and perhaps, when people hear his knowledge of depth of foreign policy, in a state with many veterans it's amazing to see the electricity happen and people love our country and care about a military, . >> last question, senator rubio. are congressman gowdy and congressman scott going to be with you the next five days? >> they have been already. they're great ratifiers. people know they take this election seriously. to have them on our team helped us in south carolina. they've been a great resource for the campaign and exemplify
10:54 pm
what we want the party to be about. they're in public service for the right reasons, they're applying principles to the unique challenges before us and they're fierce defenders of the constitution, under assault by barack obama. we need a president that will defend the constitution and having them on board sends a clear signal that that is what i want to do. >> i want to thank you. senator scott and senator rubio, you may want to ask congressman gowdy he denied my offers to push him to be speaker but that is another story. >> i can't afford the alimony. >> m think of it as a seven seat theater... for an action packed thriller.
10:55 pm
♪ (cell phone rings) where are you? well the squirrels are back in the attic. mom? your dad won't call an exterminator... can i call you back, mom? he says it's personal this time... if you're a mom, you call at the worst time. it's what you do. if you want to save fifteen percent or more on car insurance, you switch to geico. it's what you do. where are you? it's very loud there. are you taking a zumba class?
10:56 pm
10:57 pm
and i'm still struggling with my diabetes. i do my best to manage. but it's hard to keep up with it. your body and your diabetes change over time. your treatment plan may too. know your options. once-daily toujeo® is a long-acting insulin from the makers of lantus®.
10:58 pm
it releases slowly to provide consistent insulin levels for a full 24 hours. toujeo® also provides proven full 24-hour blood sugar control and significant a1c reduction. toujeo® is a long-acting, man-made insulin used to control high blood sugar in adults with diabetes. it contains 3 times as much insulin in 1 milliliter as standard insulin. don't use toujeo® to treat diabetic ketoacidosis, during episodes of low blood sugar, or if you're allergic to insulin. allergic reaction may occur and may be life threatening. don't reuse needles or share insulin pens, even if the needle has been changed. the most common side effect is low blood sugar, which can be serious and life threatening. it may cause shaking, sweating, fast heartbeat, and blurred vision. check your blood sugar levels daily while using toujeo®. injection site reactions may occur. don't change your dose or type of insulin without talking to your doctor. tell your doctor if you take other medicines and about all your medical conditions. insulins, including toujeo®, in combination with tzds (thiazolidinediones) may cause serious side effects like heart failure that can lead to death, even if you've never had heart failure before.
10:59 pm
don't dilute or mix toujeo® with other insulins or solutions as it may not work as intended and you may lose blood sugar control, which could be serious. ask your doctor about toujeo®. the market.redict but through good times and bad... ...at t. rowe price... ...we've helped our investors stay confident for over 75 years. call us or your advisor. t. rowe price. invest with confidence. technology entire countries w if they could ever catch you. that is all the time we have left this evening. thanks for joining us. from north charleston, south carolina. we'll be back in new york tomorrow night. set your dvrs so you never miss an episode. we take attendance and it hurts
11:00 pm
our feelings. we'll see you back here tomorrow night. this is a fox news alert. moments ago president george w. bush officially hitting the south carolina trail speaking to south carolina voters. introducing his brother candidate governor jeb bush. you will hear what governor jeb bush said straight ahead. "on the record" will monitor this event. if there is any news there or any other event, we will bring it right to you. right now justice scalia a hasn't beenu+wiwwzz are talking over his replacement. if there were rules, everyone breaks them. get ready, this fightzl replacement on the supreme court will have blood on the floor. should president obama fulfill the constitutional duties and name a successor

65 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on