Skip to main content

tv   Your World With Neil Cavuto  FOX News  September 13, 2013 4:00pm-5:00pm EDT

4:00 pm
complaints for not serving the catsup. so out he goes. i'm trace gallagher in for shepard smith. good luck to shep and his shoulder surgery. harris is in later with the fox report. neil cavuto starts right now. >> neil: they demand it. and got it. now union leaders at the white house this hour looking for a fix for it? but we'll be damned if we're going to lose our health insurance because of unintended consequences in a law. it needs to be changed. it needs to be fixed. and it needs to be fixed now, brothers and sisters. >> so is the fix in? remember when the afl-cio president said this. >> this bill is a great step forward. going to give us long-term security. >> neil: and then joe biden. >> this is a [bleep] deal.
4:01 pm
>> neil: now this. >> and he said this is a big fricking deal. well, we need to make sure that we raise our voices loud, brothers and sisters and say it's going to be a big fricking deal because we are members lose our health insurance. >> neil: you can read in between the lines. union leaders fuming at their convention in los angeles, and right now they're meeting behind closed doors before the president of the united states. allison barber things the unions will get some of what they're after. you say some but not all. explain. >> this is not a new push -- a new criticism the unions had. they had this of obamacare over the past couple of months, and they're main problem is with the multiemployer health plan, because of the new law there will be new taxes that will make the plans more expensive and cause employers to consider
4:02 pm
getting red of them and -- rid of them and replacing workers in the exchanges. so what might -- this meeting is different than any push before. we heard them talk and say they want change to happen and nothing happened. but afl-cio is a national level. before you had the lower level state level unions, coming out and criticizing this. but for the national level is huge deal. afl-cio represents 12 million people and 5 -- 55 unions, so it's going to be something the obama administration needs to listen to more. so 12 million people is an incredibly large voting bloc, and unions are usually a big voter turnout block. so i think the fact that this is a national afl-cio calling on this and passing a resolution criticizing obamacare, that's going to be very important and i wouldn't be shocked if the administration concedes a little bit to work with them.
4:03 pm
>> neil: watch what they concede because if you're going to do a write off or credit to the unions, then there are other people standing in line saying what you did for them you better do for me, and we have a lot of groups gotten sort of a checkoff here where they don't have to swallow the entire law and the rest of us poor saps do. i'm wondering, this can't go on, and i also imagine the union members would be mad at their bosses. surely you read this thing and spent our union dues promoting is, and looks like you really didn't read it. >> that's when great ironies, they were one of the many reasons this law got passed, but a lot of people argue the rope why they supported it initially, even though they had the same reservations as now, because they thought maybe down the road they would get quid pro quo and get some exemptions for their plan. now that is not happened, they don't like and it puts the administration in a difficult situation because it's hard to
4:04 pm
really concede or bend to them when it's not going to be plan necessarily change for everyone else. so moving forward it will be interesting to see what they come up with. right now they have a big problem on their hands because unions are typically a great help for them and that's a huge voting bloc and big fundraisers have said they really want part of this to be fixed and it's a large part of it so it's a big problem for the administration and something they have to have more meetings like this. neil knoll a -- >> neil: amazing, five years after the multidown, and stimulus and rescue for one and then for more and then for everybody. >> it will be interesting to see if there will be a case to be made to support a plan the g.o.p. has on the hill, this is a better reason to delay obamacare for a year. >> neil: thank you very much. >> thank you. >> neil: after this meeting, erica ericson says, katy, bar
4:05 pm
the door. chop it down. this would be a greenlight for anyone who wants out. >> this is just another reason, neil, that the republicans in congress need to just defund this. take ted cruz up and defund it. this is animal farm. the closing scene, we're looking pig to man and man to pig and back again. they all work the same. congress, the unions, barack obama, get exemptions and the rest of us don't. >> neil: i worry about that, too. as i said many times, when the restaurant mater staff are not eating their food, i go to another restaurant, and all the people who cooked up recipes that became the healthcare law, they want exemptions. congress out, labor unions likely out, other groups getting a pass or credit. there's a pattern here. so the law is substantially changing before our eyes here.
4:06 pm
what happened? >> look, congress did not authorize one of these changes. the obama administration decided to make them. this is more vladimir putin and russia than it is american democracy. we're either a nation of laws or a nation of men, and barack bark obama is showing we're a nation of men who can change the laws as he sees fit without congressional approval. >> neil: looking around -- a very good point. they flip it around elm that's what we did with medicare and medicaid, and i always turn around and say, that is my point. when we start this, willy-nilly change this in the case of medicare, what started as $566 million program with lyndon johnson in the mid-are 60s, is now a trillion dollar practice with a lot of holes in it, and when you set to sea, you see a lot more problems with the ship, and we're in deep ship here. so what -- >> keep in mind it was the medicare medicaid changes those had congressional approval as
4:07 pm
well. >> neil: absolutely. and both parties for this because we have got something that is leaking like asive -- seive here and they have to address the serious problems here and not just launch it willy-nilly and say we'll fix it down the road. >> you have dozens and dozen of republicans who ran into office and got elected saying they were going to do everything they could to stop obama care. they have a choice to defund and it they have we can't do that because we might get blamed for a shutdown. so what. american companies are shutting down because they won't shut down obamacare. >> neil: a big insurer in nudge is pulling out of new jersey as a result of this. it's amazing. eric erickson. first putin. now syria's president, calling the shots. where does that leave our president? huh...fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more on car insurance.
4:08 pm
mmmhmmm...everybody knows that. well, did you know that old macdonald was a really bad speller? your word is...cow. cow. cow. c...o...w... ...e...i...e...i...o. [buzzer] dangnabbit. geico. fifteen minutes could save you...well, you know.
4:09 pm
4:10 pm
4:11 pm
>> neil: ahead of a possible deal these, manneds. syria's president assad is piling on some must-haves as secretary of state john kerry and his russian counterpart holing talks. ed henry on the administration's next move. >> some new information in the last few moments. senior administration officials had been hesitant to give a timeline to when they want to see some progress from geneva. those talks between secretary kerry and his russian counterpart lavrov. but they have put a timeline on it, telling us they hope to see progress in the next few weeks in terms of how they define progress, would be something verifiable, something they can put their arms around that in fact assad is turning over his chemical weapons, they're falling under international control and the weapons are starting to be destroyed. the mechanism, senior u.s. officials say, they'd like to see all this happen would be through a u.n. security council resolution that would specifically state that assad is
4:12 pm
turning over those kim cal weapons weapons weapons and -- chemical weapons and they're going to be destroyed but's officials acknowledging a big caveat. they would not include in that u.n. security council resolution the idea that military force would be authorized if the weapons are not turned over. the reason being they know even if the russians are helpful -- that's a big if in terms of chemical weapons -- the russians are not helpful in terms of approving a u.n. resolution that states the use of force would be applicable here because they blocked that repeatedly. the president a few moments ago wrapped up a meeting with the amir of kuwait and talked about making sure that turning over the chemical weapons were verifiable, and republicans on the hill say the president is being played here and vladimir putin is not going deliver. take a listen. >> our two countries are in agreement that the use of chemical weapons we saw in syria was a criminal act, and that it
4:13 pm
is absolutely important for the international community to respond in not only deterring repeat eddy of chemical weapon -- repeated use of chemical weaponed and getting those weapons outside of syria. >> i think they're playing games with us. secretary kerry yesterday said this is not a game. i guess there was a reason he said that, but a is appears to most of us it is a game and they're just kind of playing with us. >> republicans like buck mckeon is saying that putin is emerging as a dominant player in the mid-east and the other issue is that putin may help ensure that assad stays in power if he turns over the chemical weapons even to the for two years now it's been the policy of the white house to say they want assad out of power. the pushback from whose officials say they say still want assad out of power but third they want to get the chemical weapons turn over. they know that's not going to be easy and not a sure thing. but they say if they can get
4:14 pm
that done that would be major achievement that would weaken assad and then hope in the months and maybe years ahead -- might take a long time -- that would weaken assad because he would no longer have that important tool of terrorizing his people and israel and others, with these chemical weapons potentially, that they would be a political solution down the road to get him out of power, but obviously we're a long way from that. >> neil: very long way. ed henry, thank you. says the president''s leadership style on syria will ultimately hurt him in the end. grant follows this leadership issues, and says if you're not first, you're last. his best-selling book. on a leadership level, then, how should he be doing things differently? what do you think? >> well, a leader makes hard decisions. this is why i've never been an obama fan. he is not making a decision. he is making a member. and when you're president of the united states, maybe you can do maybes. when you're a politician, maybe
4:15 pm
you can, about if your running a household or business, it can't be maybe, because that stimulates people being uncertain, not sure, and they go into their own maybe, obama is going to be a victim after this. all people when they go into overly cautious situations which he is in and acting like that, he is acting like, i don't know what his going to do and nobody does. he is a good community organizer. he is not showing leadership. >> neil: grant, the counterargument from the white house and others is, given iraq and afghanistan experience, we're not going to rush into anything. we're going to take this slow and do this right. what does a leadership expert say about that strategy? just be pencesive, be thoughtful? you say that's not what is going on here. >> i'm saying what he is doing is sitting at a light, it's green or red. stop or go. he could have made the decision which would have been fine with me two weeks ago, i'm not doing this now. our country is tired of war. the people are tired of it.
4:16 pm
we can't afford it. it's a terrible, horrible thing happening but we're not going there that could have been his decision, or, hey, we're going there, you're going with me, i'm going, and he would have done it two weeks ago. a leader has to make tough decisions, not popular ones. >> neil: i wonder how long it would hurt. when john kennedy first became president, he looked like a weak leader and he was young novice and khrushchev would run all over him, and then little more than a year and a half later, he shines at the cuban missile crisis. people take different views. about it wasn't what we thought. more decisive and hands on in a different crisis, so didn't hang with him that long. what do you make of that and whether this president survives just the growing global doubt about his leadership style? >> i think the country -- i think the world knows he is not a leader, and they're proving it. they're showing it right now in how they're treating him. the other world leaders are acting like he is a maybe. when i'm not certain of what
4:17 pm
leaders do, then i'll make the decisions and be the leader, and that's what other leaders in other parts of the world are doing right now. they're playing -- >> neil: what if that is his intention, he doesn't want america to be the leader on all this stuff. the global community, the rest of the world, have at it. >> he should have simply said that. he should have said we're not in a position to be the police for the entire planet. we cannot do this at this time. but he didn't. what he did was, i have the right to do it. i can do it. but i'm going to have somebody else do it i'm going to make two things means i'm not going to make any decision. that's not what leaders do and americans are going to be hurt by being given the wrong example from the leader of the most powerful nation in the world that is being played like a two-string fiddle. >> neil: you're sounding very -- iwas more impress width miley cyrus leadership than barack
4:18 pm
obama. >> neil: if only we had the video. >> at least she made a decision. >> neil: might have been a bad decision but she made a decision. the first time i heard the crisis actually brought to the miley cyrus level but touché to you. meanwhile, trips to las vegas, even disneyland. i'm not talking about the mega millions winners. i'm talking about some of arizona's welfare recipients? as your life changes, fidelity is there r your personal economy, helping you readjust along the way, refocus as careers change and kids head off to college, and revisit your investments as retirement gets closer. wherever you are today, fidelity's guidance can help you fine-tune your personal economy. start today with a free one-on-one review of your retirement plan.
4:19 pm
4:20 pm
4:21 pm
out of work and now out working the system? that's the fear after the new report is showing some welfare recipients in arizona are spending the money on everything from packs of cigarettes to swanky trips. arizona is adding laws to crack down on this abuse and are the laws even legal?
4:22 pm
will says yes, and stacy says no. so, obviously the state is trying to get a happen on a problem that is out of control. how far can they go? >> they can pass a law saying, if you're getting this taxpayer funded welfare, from the state taxpayers, then you have to abide by certain rules, and one of those rules is you can't go to atms at strip clubs. that's what they're doing. cigarette places, alcohol places, bars, things like that. >> i don't know what the put the -- whatever. anyway so it's the least they can do is say this is fraud, you're supposed to be spending this on food and clothing and shelter and that's it. >> neil: you can also argue, at the strip club, i indiana to get milk on the way home. >> you can. >> neil: idiotic. >> i think the legislature is barking up the wrong tree. what they need to do, instead of
4:23 pm
restricting howl they spend the money -- because they can run down the road to the grocery store and then run back to the strip parlor. they need to crack down on the application process. in arizona they give welfare to families making less than $4,200 a year for a family of three. how are those families affording a trip to hawai'i and vegas where these expenditures are turning up? it's the people defrauding the system who are applying. >> neil: ow always hear some -- >> 47 million is how much the taxpayers spend in area on the program a year. only a small percentage is spend on the atms. >> i don't disagree with stacy as far as screening. when you're applying for this you're not going to say, i'm going to spend my money on cigarettes and strip clubs and booze. >> but i think is people are applying for the benefit's don't
4:24 pm
deserve to get the benefits. anyone making less than $4,200 a we're -- and arizona is one of the sing stingiest welfare pair ares in the country. >> getting contributions -- >> neil: we know we live in country now where one out of five americans are getting food assistance. i'm shocked that many need the assistance. just seems to be beyond the pale. but a lot of groups are criticizing the government cracking down like this because they say the government looks heartless. >> no. not heartless. you can't go to a strip club and you can't buy booze and you can't buy cigarettes? we were saying, you can't go to costco -- >> neil: take away the strip club. >> the booze and the trips to disney world and times square. >> neil: there's a strip club? >> i don't know. you would probably nor than i
4:25 pm
would. >> they need to be a little more stringent on who is getting the money, check it out more carefully. >> neil: i sense they'll still have the same -- a small percentage of abuse. but the fact this is getting more prominent every year, the aggregate number is getting more prominent. >> and we're only talking about one state here. >> people go from one state to the use and use interstate atms. that should be cut down. >> i'm not saying the government is wrong to crack down on this, but it's the way they're going about doing it. they're restricting small businesses and they're charging them with reconfiguring their atm machines so people can't withdraw on the premises and punishing the businesses with fines. so letting people with draw there and they should crack down on the recipients. >> neil: they're not doing that so the outside possibility there was a grocery store in the strip
4:26 pm
club -- >> no neil, no. neil: okay. almost five years to the day, be warned, be warned. ( bell rings ) they remind me so much of my grandkids.
4:27 pm
wish i saw mine more often, but they live so far away. i've been thinking about moving in with my daughter and her family. it's been pretty tough since jack passed away. it's a good thing you had life insurance
4:28 pm
through the colonial penn program. you're right. it was affordable, and we were guaranteed acceptance. guaranteed acceptance? it means you can't be turned down because of your health. you don't have to take a physical or answer any health questions. they don't care about your aches and pains. well, how do you know? did you speak to alex trebek? because i have a policy myself. it costs just $9.95 a month per unit. it's perfect for my budget. my rate will never go up. and my coverage will never go down because of my age. affordable coverage and guaranteed acceptance? we should give them a call. do you want to help protect your loved ones from the burden of final expenses? if you're between 50 and 85, you can get quality insurance that does not require any health questions or a medical exam. your rate of $9.95 a month per unit will never increase, and your coverage will never decrease -- that's guaranteed. so join the six million people
4:29 pm
who have already called about this insurance. whether you're getting new insurance or supplementing what you already have, call now and ask one of their representatives about a plan that meets your needs. so, what are you waiting for? go call now! we'll finish up here. >> neil: five years, five years ago this weekend something happened that would later rock the nation to its financial core, and from which we're still recovering the collapse of
4:30 pm
lehman brothers and that was just the beginning. >> wall street landscape is dramatically changed in just a matter of days. lehman brothers filing for chapter 11 bankruptcy. >> the dow plunging 500 points think biggest one day point drop since the market re-opened after 9/11. >> a string of people losing their jobs coming out of lehman, joining the 600,000 that have lost their jobs so far in the last eight months. >> we do not take, i don't take lightly, every putting the taxpayers on the line to support an institution. >> whether it's a federal bailout or bankruptcy, people all around the world are still left wondering, what will the resolution of aig actually be. >> bailout of aig doing little to dispel fears who might be next. >> aig was not bailed out. it was taken over.
4:31 pm
>> you would you prefer an emergency credit line. the government thought otherwise. >> i think it's wrong. >> the financial system sits at the brink but uncle sam standing ready to step in, restore confidence, trying to end the credit crisis with a sweeping intervention, not seen since the great depression. >> we believe that this decisive government action is needed to preserve america's financial system and sustain america's overall economy. >> on your show two years ago i mentioned the world, depression then. now, i didn't know about a $700 billion bailout in all fairness, and i think probably it's something -- it's sad but probably something that has to get done. >> be careful of the cure. that's all i'm telling you. i worry -- look what happened. we rescued aig, freddie and fannie, the market has a near, term pop and it's great, great,
4:32 pm
problem behind us. if we do this? marks are going to be, thank god be wi got this behind us, and boom it's going to happen again and they will be waiting for their next dash for all- >> no deal, the stocks go south. that's how much the dow jones industrials declined. 777 and 2/3. never dropped so much in terms of points in a single day. >> why does the government need to do that? however hellish i might be, if the house -- let 'or. >> is it a hissy fit over the economy? >> when you kowtow -- >> wait. is that a mistake, bailing out the markets? signed, sealed, delivered, the biggest financial rescue in american history, signed moments ago by president bush.
4:33 pm
all street hardly convinced it's harbinger of things to come, and no need to call a friend. learn a new word, word a lot of parents know well but you forgot. that word is, no. >> but in retrospect that word wasey. started rescuing financial institutions institutions and then auto companies and "cash for clunkers" and student loans and started five years ago sunday. all next week, on fox news, and fox business network, we're going back in time to tell you it can indeed happen again. and the blueprint might be right before our eyes. and here to address that very issue, market watchers larry and steve. larry, you remember five years ago like it's yesterday and the notion that wall street is better prepared for something like that now. do you think it is? >> it's not better prepared, neil, and i i'm going to have chills tonight and nightmares
4:34 pm
thinking about the clips i saw. in fact i wore a black tie because this is a somber occasion. this is a devastating anniversary. the financial crisis. even more devastating the fact that as a nation, at the government level, we learn very little from this financial crisis. when you learn so little from such a devastating moment in time you're doomed to repeat that mistake, and my fear is we had that teachable moment, that opportunity in america to learn, and instead what do we do? we take a debt crisis and pile on more debt. when you don't learn your lesson you row pete your mistakes. >> the argue. for all the rescues at the time, even from conservative president bush that capitalism was melting down. we'll never know because we didn't do the alternative. what do you think of the argument to have not rescued would have led to a depression? >> well, as you said we'll never know, neil. boy, did you look young back
4:35 pm
then. >> neil: i knew you would come with that. >> what was interesting to me about watching those clips, it reminded me that even those who believe in the free market like i do, and you do, we were all arguing about what to do. you were arguing are with my patron saint, jack kemp. everybody was running around asking what to do. >> neil: i asked you. i didn't think it's a -- it's a very slippery slope and then you change the whole dynamic where institutions will take great risks if they know the fallback is the government has their back. >> there's the long-term cost of what we did. you can argue that was the right thing to do but we should acknowledge the long-term cost, what we have done in this country for decades to come, we institutionalized the idea of too big to fail.
4:36 pm
>> neil: larry, the argue. with the dodd-frank laws, it won't happen again. obviously we let lehman brothers fold, and then we started rescuing other institutions left and right. but the argument was that with this new law, too big to fail was too big. didn't exist. and now, if i guess by that definition of the bank of america were to be on the brink, we would let it go. i don't know about that. do you think we would or be back to doing what we did five years ago? >> neil, i'm disgusted by the idea of any government bailout. my hindsight goggles don't work as well as steve, and when i look back at that moment, americans were worried that businesses weren't going to open and that banks would have lines and a run on the banks. they were worried atms weren't going to work and money markets were going to fail. given all of those things what choice did we have? the lesser of evils. it was a disgusting alternative
4:37 pm
and that is the choice we made. what happened since that moment, is where we got ourselves in trouble. it was the slippery slope. it's the eight plus billion national debt and you pick winners and losers. that's where we got ourselves and trouble and didn't learn our lesson, lesson that europe may have learned better in the fact they adopted some austerity measures in countries that we will never learn. >> neil, i just heard you talking about welfare reform, and one of the problems in terms of reforming any of these welfare programs, a lot of americans say, wait a minute, we're going to kick the young mother on welfare off welfare but we're not going to get the multibillion dollar banks off welfare so it institutionalizes -- >> neil: don't blame them. everyone is at the trough. >> take everybody off the trough.
4:38 pm
>> neil: mike huckabee says we might already be looking at another crisis, and that might be the makings for the next meltdown. >> every american owes $53,000 as part of the debt, and barack obama when he was senator in 2006, said that to raise the debt ceiling and have this kind of debt, he blamed george bush for almost doubling the debt, to up to $9 trillion. and he said that it was not only irresponsible, he used the word unpatriotic. you have to wonder, what is it when we now doubled that debt and we're at $17 trillion and every american owes $53,000, and a third of that debt is owned by foreign countries and investors, a large piece of it from the chinese. so what is that? it's irresponsible. and i guess we can borrow the president's phrase, it's unpatriotic. >> neil: but what happens then is i think we're past the stigma of looking like financial losers so s&p, downgrades our rating
4:39 pm
and everybody yawns and goes on. beggars can't be choosers so we go to anyone for money. and we sort of limp on. part of this whole syrian problem, when you think about it, the world doesn't have much respect for how we conduct our business. >> why should they? why should high have any respect in we conduct our business by the same measure that we would punish our children can and that we would punish any small business owner. you cannot boar row money you can't afford to pay back and can't spend money you don't have. >> neil: if you become president -- >> that's a big if. >> neil: and you faced a situation like this, easier said than done, would you -- >> absolutely. i was against t.a.r.p. when its happened. >> neil: i remember you were. >> i was lonely. you and me, i can count on a handthe number of people because everybody thought we were idiots. but i think what you said is what i've said and that is once
4:40 pm
you create this temp -- template that says if you're really big we'll bail you out. really rich people never quit being really, really rich through the whole process, but really, really poor people continue to be really, really poor. so who really benefited from all of this? >> neil: that's right. >> it was disaster. >> neil: governor, thank you very much. i want to leave you -- next week we'll have this. when you provide the backdrop to bail someone out, do you ever think they're going to change their behavior be they auto companies or banks? if they know that the failsafe is that they're safe, safe bet, we're doomed. even if syria turns over chemical weapons did they just make it harder for us to find them? scottrade.
4:41 pm
ron: i'm never alone with scottrade. i can always call or stop by my local office. they're nearby and ready to help. so when i have questions, i can talk to someone who knows exactly how i trade. because i don't trade like everybody. i trade like me. that's why i'm with scottrade. announcer: scottrade- proud to be ranked "best overall client experience." ...amelia... neil and buzz: for teaching us that you can't create the future... by clinging to the past. and with that: you're history. instead of looking behind... delta is looking beyond. 80 thousand of us investing billions... in everything from the best experiences below... to the finest comforts above. we're not simply saluting history... we're making it. yourturn night into day.ng. conquer the globe. stop floods.
4:42 pm
now she could use a hand, so she can keep living . on her own .. her. our professional caregivers are carefully chosen and highly trained to provide a variety of in-home services while truly engaging with your aging loved ones so they can stay happy at home. comfort keepers. keeping the comforts of home. ll comfort keepers now to arn more.
4:43 pm
[ female announcer ] some people like to pretend a flood could never happen to them. and that their homeowners insurance protects them. [ thunder crashes ] it doesn't. stop pretending. only flood insurance covers floods. ♪ visit floodsmart.gov/pretend to learn your risk.
4:44 pm
>> all this talk about what to do with them and a new report shows assad's regime is busy scattering chemical weapons to as many as 50 sites. no way to get an accurate guess but it's much harder for the u.s. to track. former cia operative wayne simmons says it may be to late. if you give someone time to hide stuff think hide stuff. >> i'm coming to your house to get the $100 i believe you owe me and i tell you i won't be there for 30 days so let's move the money around. >> neil: in your case i would leave because you could kill me with one hand. it makes perfect sense. why are we surprised at this? >> and exactly right. this is so pre possess produce -- preposterous. i could could not write this
4:45 pm
script weapon all know that saddam hussein had chemical weapons. i know it. the intelligence community, the french, british new it and our cia knew it. president bush got in big, big trouble because we gave saddam hussein months to get rid of those. he moved them into the baca valley in syria. we're no. now sending the same signal to assad. we tell him, we're going to give you 30 or 45 days to get rid of those weapons. neil, please, this is just absolutely mind boggling. >> neil: everyone seems to be lying. not you. wasn't that long ago syria was saying we don't have chemical weapons and haven't used them, then they said, we might have some, but we don't use them on people, and then now saying, we'll agree with russia that says we don't have these chemical weapons to help store them and put them in a safe
4:46 pm
place. where do you begin with thus? >> putin, as you heard me say many times, putin is calling the shots and why not? he is up against abbott and costello in the united states. this is something that putin never dreamt would be possible. i must tell you neil, i have also said this in the past. i am not convinced -- doesn't mean that syrians didn't do it but i am not convinced by overwhelming evidence or facts that assad used those chemical weapons. >> neil: interesting. >> no one has shown me yet -- here's the other thing, neil, that most of us know. we have virtually no human intelligence capabilities in syria, so anybody who thinks -- we don't know what he is going to do with those chemical weapons, but that's strategy 101, neil. move the goods and then you go try to find them.
4:47 pm
>> neil: good stuff. wayne simmons. go to o'riley's house to pick up the 100 bucks. >> he won't pay me either. >> neil: wayne simmons, thank you. former cia operative. i want to go to the white house. we're telling you about -- a lot of them want sort of a carveout for them's they discovered this healthcare plan zooms them and they don't like and it they're in there with he big guy trying to change it. are they going to get any changes? we're on it. [ male announcer ] what's important to you? at humana, our medicare agents sit down with you and ask. hanging out with this guy. he's just the love of my life. [ male announcer ] getting to know you is how we help you choose the humana medicare plan that works best r you. mi familia. ♪ [ male announcer ] we want to help you achieve your best health, so you can keep doing the things that are important to you. keeping up with them. i love it!
4:48 pm
[ male announcer ] helping you -- now that's what's important to us.
4:49 pm
4:50 pm
all right it looks like they might be staying for dinner. outside the west wing of the white house where union leaders have been meeting with the
4:51 pm
president. a lot of them petitioning him to give them a carve out or some exemption that really hits them on this health care law. this was a law that they championed. so it could boomerang back on the president. >> well it seems like everyone is asking for their carve out and it's one of the reasons why the health care law still remains unpopular. in the polling that i've seen and the polling that we've done, maybe 38%, 40% support it. a majority, 55%, up to as much as 58% or 60% oppose it. there are three reasons, neil. number one is people realize it's going to raise their health care premiums significantly. number two is that they don't believe that it's going to improve the quality of their care. and number three is that they feel like washington is forcing something on them that they never asked for in the first place. and now as you can see those union photographs that were running beside me, the hostility that people have towards the unions is why should they get something that the average american doesn't get.
4:52 pm
it's a reason why those government unions are significantly less popular an less credible than the private sector union. >> a lot of people are getting these carve outs. but i'm wondering about the bigger picture here and where this law ultimately goes. the unions were the ones who were early champions and now, now not. what are we to make of it? all coming out now, i'm wondering, what do you think? >> we're to make of it exactly what people predicted. exactly what nancy pelosi had said, let's give her credit. she did say, you'll have to pass the law to know what's in it. well now the public is starting to see what's in it and they're starting to get a feel for it. businesses are getting a feel for it. the medical profession -- >> it does not look like they're going to stop and talk. the eisenhower executive office building right next to the white house. they're not stopping to talk to the reporters. but they're the ones who wanted carve out exemptions for what
4:53 pm
they thought were onerous costs here. you think they're cooking up something? you think they're going to get something? >> let me be clear because i've seen this before. you study the law. when you succeed at what you're trying to do, you stop, you thank the president, when you don't succeed, you head for the door. and that's exactly where they're heading for right now. but it would be a big mistake, and by the way, members of congress who are trying to seek carveouts for themselves. >> that's what i'm saying all the chefs in the kitchen aren't eating the food. everyone who created this thing isn't even going to try to taste it. you've got congress, the unions, all these liberal groups that said you know, maybe not, maybe not. and i'm beginning to wonder if the folks at the restaurant that work there aren't eating the food, maybe you should get out of the restaurant. >> maybe you should just fire the chef. take your analogy all the way to that direction. but it's the reason why, and i'm going to go even bigger, neil, it's the reason why the public has less trust in washington, d.c. than at any time, more than
4:54 pm
1992, with ross perot, more than 1994, or 2000 ten with the republicans in congress. the american people think that washington doesn't get them, doesn't understand them, passing laws that they don't want to see passed. >> it is amazing. frank, thank you very, very much. again, they came and they went and they all left all the top union leaders, including the afl-cio. don't know what transpired in the white house. they did get their meeting with the president. we're going to keep our eyes on it. i promise you we will. forget all the craziness in this world at this time. i want to share something out of this world from another time. that is happening this time. and i mean way out of this world. ofetting something "new." and now, there's a plan that lets you experience that "new" phone thrill again and again. and again. can you close your new phone box? we're picking up some feedback. introducing verizon edge. the plan that lets you upgrade to a new verizon 4glte phone
4:55 pm
when you want to. having what you want on the network you rely on. that's powerful. verizon. upgrade to the new droid ultra by motorola with zero down payment. at od, whatever business you're in, that's the business we're in. with premium service like one of the best on-time delivery records and a low claims ratio, we do whatever it takes to make your business our business. od. helping the world keep promises.
4:56 pm
4:57 pm
this man is about to be the millionth customer. would you mind if i go ahead of you? instead we had someone go ahead of him and win fiy thousand dollars. congratulations you are our one millionth customer. nobody likes to miss out. that's why ally treats all their customers the same. whether you're the first or the millionth. if your bank doesn't think you're special anymore, you need an ally. ally bank. your money needs an ally. jimmy carter was in the white house. fleetwood mac's rumors was the number one album in america.
4:58 pm
mohammed ali was the heavyweight champion of the world. and a tiny spacecraft named voyager 1 had just launched for the stars. more like plan eds. its initial mission came at exploring jupiter and saturn but then voyager just kept going and going, past jupiter, past saturn. then uranus, then neptune, then leto, then on and on and on until news just now, 36 years after elvis had left the building, voyager one has left the solar system and reached interstellar space, further than any man has ever gone, further than any manmade object has ever climbed. not bad for a radioactive powered craft transmitting information back to earth using a 23 watt signal and get this, an 8 track digital tape recorder playing back data, every six months. still chugging. still beeping. even if no human is listening. but i wonder who might be. because on board voyager one is a very special disc, what they called at the time the golden
4:59 pm
record, and i mean a real record with a cartridge and needle the whole works. loaded with everything your average alien might want to know about earth. greetings in dozens of languages. a message from president carter. and a 90 minute music collection that covers everything from bach to chuck berry. humankind different now 12 billion miles from humankind's foot prints? beaming away to anyone or anything that might be listening and wondering, just wondering, what to make of these strange creatures who built this and sent it, from this tiny planet in this tiny corner of this vast cosmic sea. beckoning, calling, singing, in the deepest blackest space where you cannot breathe, it leaves me breathless. that with all our troubles on earth, then and now, we are capable of great things, always done.

137 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on