Skip to main content

tv   The Last Word With Lawrence O Donnell  MSNBC  February 18, 2016 7:00pm-8:01pm PST

7:00 pm
sure it's not used to attack immigrants or vulnerable americans. >> human trafficking, taking girls or young boys and doing something horrible with them is something we have to do everything we can to stop and i will do everything i can to stop it. in terms of making sure as i understand your question that people do not come into this country -- let me back up and say that i believe given the humanitarian crisis in syria and the humanitarian crisis in afghanistan that the united states and the rest of the world have got to make sure that refugees can get their lives together and that we should welcome those people in the united states, along with other countries around the world, but when we do that we have got to make very sure that the vetting process is strong, that people
7:01 pm
who we welcome into this country to help do not do terrible things to our own people. >> how do you do that, senator? >> you do that by having a much stronger security approach to vetting people who are coming in, to knowing what their background is, to making sure that they have not been involved in terrorist activity and there are a variety of ways that you can do that, but that is what we've got do. >> sir, there's several tier two countries that are on the visa waver programs that individuals can get annex pa indicted waver and those tier two countries don't meet the minimum standards to defend people from human trafficking. >> that's something we have to address. i agree with you. it's a very serious concern. >> thank you. we're going to have to take a break here. senator sanders, thank you very much. coming up, we're going to hear from senator hillary clinton so let's sneak in a quick break and we'll be right back.
7:02 pm
7:03 pm
7:04 pm
7:05 pm
7:06 pm
>> we are back here in las vegas and it's time for the second part of our town hall. please join us in welcoming former secretary of state hillary clinton to the stage [cheers and applause] >> hi, chuck. >> have a seat. >> hi. how are you? hello, hello.
7:07 pm
>> it's good to see you, secretary. >> it's great to see you too. >> we're going to do with what we did with senator sanders. we're going to have a few questions. as you know president obama says he regrets voting to filibuster throwing sand in the gears of the confirmation process was a regret. you joined 24 other democrats. you voted against alito and justice roberts do you regret that considering the situation that we're in now do you like president obama feels i wish i hadn't participated in something like that? >> the way i look at it is this, i did oppose justice alito and as you see chief justice roberts because after meeting with them, listening to them, i did not
7:08 pm
believe that their jud chill filly would be the best for the countri country. i voted against him. we had a process. the nomination was made and we went through the process and what the republicans today are saying is you can't vote on anything. we don't want the president to send us a nominee. i think that is very dicfferent and what am i saying is the president has the right and the obligation under the constitution to send forth a nominee and the senate has an obligation under the constitution to decide whether to approve or not. that's very different than on the floor of the senate making your argument. >> a filibuster, if you had been successful, then judge alito would not have gotten a vote. >> that's the way the senate operates. you get to have a vote. you get to use the rules and harry reid is sitting here, he's an expert on the rules, a master on the rules, you get to use the
7:09 pm
rules. that happens a lot and so i'm not in the position that the president is right now trying to talk some sense into the senate republicans to actually do their constitutional duty, but once a nominee goes to the senate, then you go through the process. there should be hearings both from the nominee and other witnesses, then it should be present to the floor and then you use the procedures that are available and eventually as you know justice alito was confirmed. >> some of your lines of attack against senator sanders in this campaign sounds familiar and we have a clip we want to play. >> you are not going to wave a magic wand and have a special interest disappear. i wish that we could elect a democratic president who could wave a magic wand and say we shall do this and we shall do that. that ain't the real world we're living in. >> all right.
7:10 pm
first clip was from a month ago, second clip was from eight years ago. many democratic voters didn't believe your that your criticism was fair. why should they believe that it's not just as unfair as they thought eight years ago? >> i think it's important for democratic voters to take a hard look at all at candidates and in this case senator sanders and myself and to evaluate who has the best plans, who has the most experience, who is ready to do all parts of the job on day one not only being president, but commander in chief and i think it's fair for voters to take a hard look at where we are and what we need to accomplish in order to have the kind of progress that i'm advocating. i'm a progressive who likes to make progress. i know how hard it is. i don't want to make promises i can't keep. i want people to actually hold
7:11 pm
me accountable for what i say and what i present and then they make their decision. >> so this magic they should not discount your criticism this time even if they did eight years ago? >> i have a number of differences with senator sanders and we've been laying those out and we'll continue to do that. >> a federal judge this week ordered apple to disable the privacy feature in the iphone used by one of the san bernardino terrorists so law enforcement can access the data. apple ceo is pledging to fight it calling it a dangerous precedent and saying the government is asking apple to hack our own users. who do you think is right here? >> look, i think because this is one of the most difficult dem maus that we're faced with. of course law enforcement has every reason to want to get information off of a killer's cell phone. one of the san bernardino
7:12 pm
killers cell phones that they can't open. they're asking for help. apple understandably is worried about opening the door, creating what they call a back door into encryption that would not just have to field requests from the united states government, but from the chinese, russian, iranian governments. this is a very hard dem mau and what i keep calling for is to try to get the government and our great tech companies to figure out what is the path forward because i don't know what this judge is going to do in this case. i assume it will be appealed. it will have lots of ramifications, but i see both sides and i think most citizens see both sides. we don't want privacy and encryption destroyed and we want to catch and make sure there's nobody else out there whose information is on the cell phone of that killer. this is why you need people in office who can try to bring
7:13 pm
folks together to find some common grounds. that is exactly what i would do. i'm well aware that the government has its needs. obviously apple and the other tech companies are concerned about this, but as smart as we are, there's got to be some way on a very specific basis we could try to help get information around crimes and terrorism. >> but the problem is that if you open up that back door that doesn't exist right now, as you said the united states is looking for information from a cell phone that was used by a terrorist, but does china have the same intentions and does russia and does cuba and north korea. >> that's why i said it's a delemia. >> i'm not saying what should be done, i'm describing the difficult issue we're caught in in really making a plea that the government and the tech companies keep working together to see if there isn't some
7:14 pm
legitimate way to help deal with these kinds of very real world problems that we face. >> on his plane ride or flight here senator sanders attacked your husband's legacy. he said bill clinton was the president who led the effort to deregulate wall street, was the president who fought for the disastrous nafta trade agreement, pushed well form reform for low income people. should you be held accountable for your husband's -- >> he was the president who created 23 million jobs, who raised incomes for every group in america, not just those at the top, african-american fames, latino families had a higher than average increase in income. created great economic programs like the new market tax credits,
7:15 pm
so i know that senator sanders has also attacked president obama. he's called him weak, disappointing. he tried to get someone to run against him in the 2012 election in the primary. i just don't know where all this comes from because maybe it's that senator sanders wasn't really a democrat until he decided to run for president. he doesn't know what the last two democratic presidents did. well, it's true. it's true. you know it's true. i mean, it happens to be true. i got to tell you, i look at our last two democratic presidents, were they perfect? no. no person is. but i'll tell you what, i would take the two of them over any republican any time anywhere. >> thank you. i think we should hear from the people. by the way, you both have been booed at some time. we can tell this is a competitive race. >> that's good. we like the facts. the facts are our friends so
7:16 pm
let's talk about them. >> fair enough. madam secretary, we're going to go and start with the same issue that we started with senator sanders and it's the issue of immigration. as you know nevada is almost 28% hispanic and latinos are the fastest growing group in the state. people are concerned with illegal immigration, and to reform the current system. so i'm going to turn it over. he's going to ask how a clinton administration would deal with immigration reform. >> in 2007 you opposed giving driver's licenses to undocumented people. why? >> back then it was a state by state determination and i'm happy that most states have moved in the right direction, but what we have to do now is get to comprehensive immigration reform with a path to citizenship. i understand that somebody asked senator sanders a question because her husband was in
7:17 pm
mexico -- i don't who asked that question. and i want to tell you i will end the three and ten year bar provision so you do not have to face that ever again. >> let me follow up on something. i asked you a few times about the prioritization of immigration reform and about your first 100 days priorities you've mentioned a lot of issues an you haven't put immigration reform. some advocates are concerned if you don't put it first, how do you prevent that if you don't make it first, as you know these legislative lifts are hard, if it's not first it may not happen. what do you say? >> when we had a chance to vote on comprehensive immigration reform in 2007, the bill that senator kennedy championed i voted for it and senator sanders voted against it.
7:18 pm
if i'm fortunate enough to get the democratic nocmination, i will begin working on the legislation that i want the congress to work on right away and immigration reform will be among those issues. for me the way that congress works and i think my friend congresswoman ma congresswom congresswoman marsha is here somewhere, the way the congress works is there are committees and the committees have different jurisdiction and if you dealing with immigration reform you go to one committee, if you're dealing with equal pay for women you go to a different committee. what i want do is begin working with democrats in the congress during the general election. i also want to do that for nominations because i want to get the judges i want to appoint and the other important officials appoint so i'm not
7:19 pm
going to waste a minute that's why i want to get this nomination as quickly as possible so i can gets to work on being your president. >> secretary clinton, how would you go about cutting out those three and ten year? how would you do that and how long would it take you to do? >> i'm so sorry about that. you know what, it did does have to be done ledge slatsively. i would do it on a separate piece of legislation and part of a comprehensive immigration reform, but we have to get rid of it because i met a young dreamer. she was brought her when she was seven months old. her father is a legal resident. her mother is undocumented. her mother cannot leave her family for three or ten years to go back to where she came from leaving her family and her daughters alone to wait until she can get in line to be able to come back. it makes no sense.
7:20 pm
it breaks up families. it is burdensome. i'm going do what i can to end it as soon as possible. >> do you promise to deal with immigration reform within the first 100 days. >> we're going to introduce legislation. we're going to introduce legislation. i'm going to call everybody on the committee, democrats and republicans alike. >> within 100 days. >> i'm going to introduce my priority legislation and this is at the top of the list. it's going to be introduced and then i'm going to work as hard as i can to make sure we get it moved through the congressal process. i can control the introduction of legislation, but congress has to get its act in gear. that's why we need to elect a democratic senate so we have some friends.
7:21 pm
>> say hello. she speaks both english and spanish. she's more comfortable in spanish. she wants to ask about the president's executive action that gives children brought here illegally through no fault of their own [ speaking spanish ] >> mrs. clinton, what would you do to make possible that the students become permanent residents? they live with a lot of fear because they have to renew their permits every two years and that is a terrifying prospect for them. >> right. that's why i support the president's executive order on it and i will do everything i can to make sure they are kept in place. as you know there's a court action challenging them.
7:22 pm
i don't know what's going to happen now because of the supreme court situation, but i will renew them. i will go further if it's at all legally possible and i will make this a big political issue because we need to keep those young people working, going to school, being productive members of our society. so i have to tell you, i will do what i can as president. i'm hoping if we win back the senate and we win the white house again the republicans are going to see the era of their ways and quit using immigrants to divide our country and quit taking the kind of mean spirited actions that they do. i was the first person to call out donald trump. i said busta. enough of this prejudice and paranoia and the kind of language that he uses. so i will do everything i can. not only for the young people who deserve the highest protection, but for their
7:23 pm
families as well. >> secretary, if i could, in the summer of 2014 upd undocumented children from central america should be sent back as soon as it can be determined who responsible adults in their family are, a position you've been defended by saying we had to send a message to families and communities in central america not to send their children here. that's far from the message pope francis had yesterday. he criticized leaders calling migrants cannon foder and human tragedy. do you still believe you held that position and that is a right position? >> first, let me really express my deep appreciation to pope francis. he has talked about immigrants and migrants everywhere in the world. he came to our boarder to talk about it again and i really appreciate him doing that because i hope people will begin to understand that we've got to
7:24 pm
show our values. we need to provide huh main treatment. so here's what i believe. number one we need to end family detention. i've been saying that for a very long time. we need to close the private family detention centers that are making a profit off of housing family members. we need to make sure that every child has due process and is guaranteed counsel. i have add volume katd that. i thank senator reid because he has introduced legislation to make that the law. there is a process. we have to follow the process, but at the same time we don't want children being handled by smugglers and traffickers often being abuse informed and mistreated. there is a way where we need to take care and provide total legal due process including counsel to children who get here, but we need to do more to help families back in central america have a better life, get rid of the violence that stalks them. >> should those children be a
7:25 pm
message? >> well, the children themselves need to be taken care of. they are children. they should be given every help that we can and i think we're doing a better job of that than we were. >> chuck? >> our next question comes from a sanders supporter. >> as a realtor here in nevada i know how important the economy is to our great nation. as a democratic candidate who has delivered speeches to the largest u.s. financial institution in exchange for hundreds of thousands of dollars in speaking fees, why are you hesitant to release transcript or audio/video recordings of those meetings in order to be transparent with the american people regarding the promises and assurances that you have made to the big banks?
7:26 pm
>> let me say this, i am happy to release anything i have when everybody else does the same because every other candidate in this race has given speeches to private groups, including senator sanders, but let me get to the heart of your question, i was the candidate who went to wall street before the crash. i was the candidate who went to them and said you are wrecking our economy. what you are doing with mortgages is going to bring us down. i called to end the carried interest loophole for hedge fund managers. i call to reign in ceo pay. i now have the most effective and comprehensive plan to deal with the threats that wall street poses and i go further than senator sanders does because i want to go after all the other bad actors like hedge funds and the aig. i take a backseat to nobody in being very clear about what i
7:27 pm
will do to make sure wall street never crashes main street again and that you can count on. >> secretary clinton, i do respect you very much. in fact, only a decade ago i was a very big supporter of yourself and your husband. it actually broke my heart when you said marriage was between a man and a woman. how can we trust that this isn't just more political rhetoric? please just release those transcripts so that we know exactly where you stand. >> you know where i stand because i've been in public standing here the whole time, but let me say something about this. i like many americans have evolved and i'm glad i have. i am a 100% supporter -- i am absolutely adamant about protecting marriage equality and i think it's significant that the human rights campaign, the
7:28 pm
leading organization in our country to ensure that the lgbt community has the rights they deserve have endorsed me. now your candidate said that's because they're a member of the establishment. with all due respect they fight against the establishment every single day and i've been with them for years and i will pass the equality act too. i just saw another one of my friends congresswoman titus. thank you for being here. >> we're going to talk about housing. it's a big problem here in nevada. this was the top state in the country for foreclosures for the crisis. >> first i'd like to thank you you for your life long commitment no the democratic party and comprehensive immigration reform. >> thank you. >> as you know, many hispanics
7:29 pm
achieving home ownership is synonymous to achieving the american dream. we were hit particularly hard during the great recession. what would a clinton administration do to ease the fears of home ownership among our country. >> i know how hard hit nevada was. i think the highest rate of foreclosures, you still have a lot of houses under water, meaning that the value is not equal to what you had to pay for it and what the mortgage principal and interest are, i take that very seriously so here's what i want to do. i want us to move in any way we can in the federal government to help relieve the burden of already existing homeowners. i don't want the kind of wave of foreclosures that struck this state ever again to happen. secondly, we want to provide more help so that more homeowners, hispanic, african-american homeowners, those who want to be have access to better credit and support.
7:30 pm
credit has tightened up in ways that are not fair. you are three times more likely to be able to get a mortgage if you're a white applicant if you're black or hispanic even if you have the same credentials. that has to end. i will go after that kind of discrimination with everything i've got using every housing authority, the justice department, the u.s. attorney. we're not going to have this kind of bigotry. i'm running down to knock down the barriers that stand in the way of people getting ahead. we have to get incomes up so you have more of a chance to save for the down payment and you have a better chance to get in a home and stay there. so i'm going to use every tool at my disposal to make that dream a reality. >> i purchased a home six months ago and i can relate as the amount of hoops that i had to jump as a 24-year-old hispanic were unprecedented.
7:31 pm
thank you for that. >> i'm telling you if you were not a hispanic there would not have been as many hoops. that is not right. that has to end. >> thank you very much. this is a retiree and he has a question about social security. >> good evening, secretary. how are you? my question has to do with social security. hard working people pay into social security with hope and anticipation that in the future they will receive the benefit of their labor and monetary investment. social security needs a 21th century update to keep it financially sound for future generations. this will take presidential leadership. what is your specific plan to address this issue for the many who need it for economic survival? >> so important and first thing we have to do is prevent the
7:32 pm
republicans ever from privatizing it. they are still determined to privatize social security. harry remembers after bush got reelected in 2004 the first thing he said was let's go privatize social security. i was one of the leaders in the senate with harry and others, we went around the country and made it clear we would never let that happen. their whole plan was to give the social security trust fund to wall street. imagine that. if you thought we had scandals and collapse before, think of that. that will never happen on my watch, but here's what will happen. we need to get more money into the social security trust fund. there's a couple of different ways i'm looking at and i'll have to talk with the congress to try to figure out what's the best way forward. we can raise the cap and get more money that way. we can go after the existing percentage that comes out of people's paychecks, we can go
7:33 pm
after what's called passive income so rich people have to pay on all their income, not just their earned income because they live off capital gains and investment income. we have too many social security recipients right now who are barely making it. and that's largely because number one they were low wage workers during their lifetime. they didn't put that much into the fund so now when they need it, they're capped out. they don't get what they need to live on. we also have a problem of older women who may not have worked at all during their lifetimes. they took care of homes and families. they contributed to their communities. so they don't have much to draw on either and then one of the saddest problems i'm going to go after is what happens when a husband dies and then a widow
7:34 pm
loses half of her social security payment. if she's not making much to begin with, i've met a lot of these women, they're losing their homes, they're really in financial distress. so we're going to get it more solvent and fix some of the problems of the people most in need and that's what i'll do as president. >> among those different issues that you mentioned as you know people pay social security taxes on income up to about $120,000. senator sanders wants to change that. you are were opposed to raising the cap in 2008. this time around you zeeseem to considering it. should people start paying social security income taxes on over $120,000? >> it could be over $250,000. it could be a higher amount, but this is the kind of issue that
7:35 pm
you've got to try to figure out where the congress might be. so i've laid out a number of different approaches to get the money. the other one that i mentioned to the gentleman is putting the -- putting the percentage on passive income so that people with a lot of income, but from capital gains and investments -- they don't pay much into social security, but they have a lot of money, they will have to pay more. so those are a couple of the options. i think we can pick one or more of those, but the goal is to get more money into the trust fund. >> would you ever imagine raising the retirement age in the next ten years? >> no and i'll tell you why. no. i'll tell you why. right now if you look at who draws social security for the longest time people who have worked hard for many years, people who are often really
7:36 pm
broken down by the physical laborer the repetitive labor that they've done, their life span is much lower than the life span of people like you and me who had a different sort of life, made our monies different ways, didn't have to work that hard. so right now the average death age for a lot of americans and latinos and african-americans is lower than the average death age of whites and that's lower still than the age of people who are a affluent and well educated. so raising the retirement age would very well eliminate a lot of hard working people from getting much social security at all. i will not do that. i want people to have the best possible older years so that is ruled out for me. >> thank you. we're going to take a break in here and when we come back a lot more issues and we'll hear from
7:37 pm
a lot more folks.
7:38 pm
7:39 pm
7:40 pm
7:41 pm
the town hall. just two days before nevada democrats go and caucus. it's been no secret many democratic voters are worried about some questions of trust. our next question has to do with
7:42 pm
that. >> good evening. my name is tiana winters. i'm representing the green spun college of urban affairs. my question tonight is my generation is the generation that grew out of that economic down turn. gone are the days of affordable tuition, booming job market and attaining that classic american dream. we need a rebel. we need somebody who is going to be by our side and ensure that after working hard and putting in our time that we will be able to attain that success. my question to you is because my generation is a little wary of placing another politician in the white house with your tenure in politics, how are you going to deserve our vote?
7:43 pm
>> well, first of all, i know that you think with good cause everything is messed up because that has been your personal experience. i have the deepest respect for and feeling for young people who literally came out of the great recession ready to get on with their lives and are finding barriers everywhere they turn. i believe with all my heart that i'm the best person to be the president who will deliver for you. i've actually been in elective office shorter period than senator sanders who has been in the congress 25 years, i've been there for eight, but i've been secretary of state and i was a very big activist my entire life and i know what has to be done and i will do it. that's why i've laid out plans to remove the economic barriers that stand in the way of young people. you know, i want to stop bad actors from doing bad things. there's no disagreement there, but i want to make some good things happen. i want to get back to the kind
7:44 pm
of job creation we had when my husband was president and get incomes rising because americans haven't had a rise in 15 years. i want to be sure that we knock down the barriers that hold back people because of racism, sexism and all the kinds of prejudice and by bias that's out there. i want to be sure that women get equal pay. i want to make college affordable and i have a plan to get student debt down to allow you to repay and refinance at a much lower cost and be able to get out of it sooner so you're not paying your student debts 30 years from now. that's ridiculous. i didn't have to do that. i had student debt and i got it paid back in about 15 years because i had a reasonable amount and i want to move young
7:45 pm
people to who are called contingent repayment plans, you pay a percentage of what you earn, not a fixed interest rate. i want to triple the amounts of national service jobs and double the amount of education grants. so i have a comprehensive plan and i think it's really important for young people to understand you know what, we've got to have big bold plans. we've got to have our ideas and our values and then we have to figure out how are we going to get it done. how are we going to make it happen. i am absolutely confident i can do that. that's why i'm asking for your vote and your support. >> thank you. >> madam secretary, you probably saw the exit polls. what about this is trust deficit. to be a successful president you're going to have to erase this trust deficit that you're dealing with right now. how do you deal with it? >> i've won one, he's won one
7:46 pm
and we have 48 to go and that's why we're here in nevada working as hard as we can and then to south carolina and all the other states that come after. i am absolutely focussed on delivering results for people and any fair reading of what i've done since i wepnt to work as a young lawyer up until today shows i know how to do that. it is obviously troubling that people have questions about me, which i will do my best to answer, but i think they really come down to saying like this young woman asked me you've been around awhile, we've seen your face a long time, what does that actually mean. i've been around doing stuff. i've been around getting things that i believe will help people and that's what i'm going to keep doing. when i ran for the senate in new york, people said the same thing, we can't trust her, we don't know her. i won and then when i ran again six years later i was reelected with an even larger percentage
7:47 pm
of the vote because people saw me in action. people are asking is she in it for herself or is she in it for me. i've been somebody who believed and raised in my family and my faith that i with my blessings had an opportunity and obligation to do what i could to help others and that's what i'll do as president. >> thank you. we have a run on running rebels when it comes on our questions. a >> my question is on your debt free college proposals. will your debt free college proposals give the same opportunities to latinos and deca as senator sanders tuition free proposal. >> i will do everything i can to make sure that it does and i want to make that possible i hope i can do it without legislative action but i might not be able to and he may not be able to. that's why comprehensive immigration reform is so important because that would
7:48 pm
clear this up. i'm going to do everything i can to make sure the young people -- i met a young woman who wants to be a doctor. she came here as a child undocumented. she's at the top of her class here in las vegas. she's worried. can she get into school being undocumented. can she get the scholarship she and her family would need. can they graduate and go to medical school. can she get a license. that is just heart breaking to me so i'm going to do everything i can to clear all the barriers away so that every young person in this country has the same chance to make a contribution as that young woman wants to make. >> so based on the proposal that you have right now, for example the grants that you're willing to give to students, how would those also be granted to doca
7:49 pm
students for example? >> yes. i think both senator sanders and i are seeking the same goal, to make college affordable for everybody. i believe my plan is a better way to get it done and therefore i'm standing behind it and i am strongly in favor of clearing away all these barriers. so yes, anything i can do to make sure every single young person who wants to go to college in this country is given the chance to do it. it's also why i want to make community college free because if community college is free, then a lots of young people can go to community college without a lot of the assistance that they might need for a four-year college or university. >> thank you. >> the caucus cough, we know that well. >> yes, the cough. secretary, a quick follow up on that and i know it's a states issue, but driver's license for the undocumented, do you foresee a time when the federal government would be able to
7:50 pm
include the undocumented in federal grants for education for example because if the state doesn't do it, it doesn't mean that they don't have those dreams and aspirations that they can't reach because in washington they decide that they're not equal. >> absolutely true. i'm proud of all the states that have taken steps to make sure that grants and college tuition and other things are taken care of for dreamers, for otheres wh are undocumented, but it should be a national priority and that's another element of comprehensive immigration reform because once we get that, there are no more questions. everybody is entitled to the same rights and benefits. i'm not sure everybody in the audience even knows every yoo undocumented workers contribute $12 billion to the social security trust fund and the best estimate is that under comprehensive immigration reform that amount would go up to 20 -- it would be an additional
7:51 pm
$20 billion every year. you talk about making the social security trust fund solvent, getting people out of the shadows and getting them in the economy to be able to pursue their dreams helps all of us. so absolutely we're going to head for that. >> [ speaking spanish ] >> money they can contribute and never see anything back from. >> that's right. they contribute for everybody else. i want you to be able to contribute and as a citizen be able to draw it down because it's yours. >> say hello. he has a question about labor unions. >> good evening, secretary clinton. your ties to corporate america have been at the center of this campaign. as president of the united states and former board member of the board of directors of walmart, will you be silent on walmart's anti-union campaign,
7:52 pm
but more importantly will you propose legislation that protects the rights of workers to organize in the workplace? >> can i tell you -- [ applause ] >> the answer to that is yes and it's why all the unions have endorsed me and i want to tell you including -- including the union -- the union commercials -- that is at the forefront of the organizing campaign at walmart, but most of the other unions have, public unions, private sector unions and you know why, here we go. let's back to the facts because i've always been there for them. our great secretary of labor who is here, where is tom? right there. he is somebody who has been on the front lines standing up for
7:53 pm
workers and unions. he endorsed me. look at the facts. unions have endorsed me because i'm on their side. i've been there year in and year out and i will as president. >> one more question, will you support a living wage of $15 an hour, which is an issue that is very -- that is at the forefront of working families? >> absolutely. i support a federal minimum wage and i support states going higher than the federal minimum wage. that's why i support andrew cuomo in new york. i supported what they did in l.a. and seattle. i'm standing with the majority of democrats in the senate who have introduced a minimum wage increase to $12. that would put it at the highest
7:54 pm
it has been since 1968. that would mean a wage increase for 35 million american workers. and one in four low-wage workers who are now just barely getting by and it would help so many women because the majority of minimum wage workers are women. so i'm absolutely in favor of it. i will do everything i can. we'll set it and i will use the bully pull pit to convince states that believe they can go further to do that. >> madam secretary, a subject change here. let me introduce you to mary chapman. she has a question on foreign policy. >> what strategies do you plan to employ in dealing with the conflicts with women and children's rights versus the practices utilized by some of our middle eastern allies. >> i went to beijing in 1995 and
7:55 pm
said human right are women's rights and i believe that with all my heart and when i was secretary of state i put women's rights at the center of our foreign policy and i went to 112 countries for all of you. i raised it in every country. i looked across the table at dictators and sexists -- yeah, i did -- and i raised it with every one of them. so it will be a huge issue for me. you know, i also raise gay rights. i went to geneva and i made a speech about how gay rights are human rights because the people who are often the most owe pr s mistreated in many countries are the lgbt community. human rights has to be at the center of who we are as a nation
7:56 pm
and what i will do as president. >> quick follow up on foreign policy. president obama has announced he's going to go to cuba in march. what has cuba done to earn a presidential visit? it's one thing to open diplomatic ties, but since december there have been some regression, particularly on some human rights issue. is a presidential visit a step too far? would a president clinton be going this quickly rewarding cuba with a presidential visit this quickly? >> i know that the president intends to raise human rights issues. he will be very open about that, i am sure, talking about the ongoing abuses within cuba that are visited upon who are seeking freedom, standing up, speaking out. i think having the president on cuban soil delivering that message is very powerful and i'll say too, chuck, i was determined as secretary of state to try to get an opening to
7:57 pm
burma and a lot of people that will never happen, the military dictat dictatorship will never change and i said we have to try. so i went and i made the case for why it would be better for them to open to pursue democracy and freedom and then i took the president back with me and the president spoke out and he spoke to a big group of students and said you deserve better, speak out for it, speak up for it. the united states will support you. look what's happened. there was an election. the party won, the military is turning over power. now, we can't promise that in everything, but if we don't take reasonable steps, we negotiated a long time to try to get the opening to cuba, so i think the president's goal is to make it clear to the cuban people we're with you today, tomorrow and into the future.
7:58 pm
we know you deserve a future of freedom. >> some people worry the administration has lost leverage on this issue of human rights. >> i think it's a different situation because there's so much traffic now between the united states and cuba. there's so many americans both cuban americans and other americans coming to look at new businesses, looking to make alliances with people in their professions or similar interests so i think it's not just a presidential visit, it is a punctuation point that makes clear the united states is going to stay with this, we're going to keep pushing. i don't think the castros can live forever unless they have found some magic water fun taken
7:59 pm
somewhere somewhere. we need to say we're here, what are you going to do for your people. look how far behind you are. the economy is in cuba is z stuttering because they're not part of the larger world. >> thank you very much for being with us tonight. >> oh my gosh, it's over. >> thank you. thank you. thank you. >> we'll try to go -- we would try to go a third hour. >> thanks very much. rachel maddow takes things over right now. thank you nevada. that was super fun. that was the telemundo and msnbc town hall in nevada. hillary clinton being mobbed on stage with the 350 people who
8:00 pm
were there. the selfie taking has begun. this is going to be the last time that hillary clinton and bernie sanders will appear on the same stage if sequentially before nevada turns out for its caucuses which happens the day after tomorrow. it's coming up really fast. jose and chuck todd, i think did a really good job tonight. it was a nice mix of hard questions and hard follow-ups from them as sort of comoderators but also hard questions, mostly with follow-ups from an enthusiastic but pretty hard nosed audience there in las vegas. i will give you my top line perception watching first bernie sanders and then hillary clinton again in this town towel forum. they can't be on stage at the same time. my impression was both candidates were really fired up, really intense. both clearly are fighting very, very hard for this nomination. they both seemed confiden

61 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on