Skip to main content

tv   Politics Nation  MSNBC  November 13, 2013 6:00pm-7:00pm EST

6:00 pm
over the chinese doggie treats that came in and were tainted, were contaminated, and the furor over that. imagine when you find out this is happening to your children as you're feeding these foods from overseas and they don't have to pass the same food standards. it's a kitchen table issue. >> there's no question about it. it is a kitchen table issue. >> i couldn't resist. >> thank you. politics nation with reverend al sharpton starts right now. good evening, ed. and thanks to you for tuning in. new numbers on how president obama's health care laws is helping real people across the country. the health and human service's department says the law has gotten more than half a million americans positioned to have health care. more than 100,000 have chosen plans from the federal and state health care exchanges. and nearly 400,000 have been
6:01 pm
deemed eligible for medicaid. that is the reality of the president's health care law. half a million people who didn't have insurance before are about to get covered. that's what really matters. the problem with the website are serious. but they will be fixed. the white house says other tweaks to the law will be made sooner rather than later. but all republicans want to do is talk about the problems with the website. they've done everything possible to try to stop this law. but today they were pretending to be upset that it's not working better. >> they weren't ready. they weren't close to ready. >> it's obvious that obama care was not ready for prime time. >> this is such a deeply flawed data rollout. >> none of you today can tell us who failed to do their job.
6:02 pm
and as a result, the american people lost a month of any effective, real ability to sign up. >> they opposed the law. but wish it was working better? that's what these republicans expect us to believe? the democrats in that hearing didn't buy it. >> nobody in this room, nobody in this country believes that republicans want to fix the website. >> that this has been turned into more of a game. >> i believe in fairness. and the american people do not want to see a kangaroo court here. >> the american people don't want to see a kangaroo court. or the republicans' crocodile tears. they just want health care, and they're getting it. they have cheaper prescriptions
6:03 pm
and free preventative care for millions of people, and now millions are now able to get insurance. >> reporter: she says insurance has never been affordable or easy. under the affordable care act she is now guaranteed coverage and is saving $7,000 a year. >> getting affordable health insurance was important. >> you have to pay at least $50 a month or something, but i qualify for completely free health care which is great. >> we qualify to pay $10.90 a month. >> these are the stories republicans don't want to talk about. real people who are getting cheaper coverage, who aren't getting turned down by insurance companies any more just because they've been sick in the past. that's what this law is doing, and that's why republicans are
6:04 pm
desperate to attack it. joining me now are atlanta mayor and msnbc's karen finney. thank you both for being here. let me start with you. the health care law is already helping lots of people. but republican governors in 25 states are blocking the expansion of medicaid, denying insurance to nearly 5 million people. that includes more than 400,000 people in your home state of georgia. doesn't this show the republicans are more interested in playing political games than helping people get health care, mr. mayor? >> what it shows is we've got to advocate harder. we have the opportunity in georgia to make sure 400,000 people have health care. we also have the opportunity to generate more than $33 billion for the state. as you know, for the first three years the federal government will cover 100% of the health care cost.
6:05 pm
and then after the third year, 90% of the total cost for the remainder of the time. it's also an important jobs generator. because businesses are going to opt in states in order to reduce their health care costs. >> mm-hm. >> so states that have expanded medicaid coverage are going to have a competitive advantage in the future. >> you know, karen, republicans are harping on problems with health care website. >> mm-hm. >> but they don't really want to fix them. listen to what senator ted cruz said this morning. >> it is fundamentally flawed. and, you know, i got to say, at this point in my view stopping obama care is the essence of prag ma tichl. we need to stop it and start over because it isn't working. >> go back and start over? >> right. >> you notice they never have an alternative, though. >> oh, no. or what would happen to all the people who are already in the system while we stop and start
6:06 pm
over again. i mean, let's be very clear, reverend. one of the things those of us who support the affordable care act have got to be very focused on like you've been doing is refocusing this conversation. it's not about a website. and you just cited those numbers of who could, 5 million americans could be getting medicaid coverage. essentially the governors of those states are telling those people their lives do not matter. because as we know, being healthy is just one part of healthy communities, healthy families. it creates jobs, but it also means that someone has the ability, more of an ability to go out and be a productive member of their community. >> you know, mr. mayor, when mitch mcconnell, the senate minority leader held a press conference yesterday, he kicked it off in a kind of funny way. listen to this. >> i'm probably not going to be asking, answering questions about anything else, but i'm happy to respond to questions about obama care. i'm not going to do a stake out
6:07 pm
of every event. because as you imagine, i'd prefer the news to be what i'd like it to be rather than what you all may be interested in pursuing. >> so he's got his agenda. he wants to just deal with that. you're on the ground. any one knows you, knows you're a mayor on the ground. people need mayors on the ground, not just these political games and posturing. >> here's what i know. the governor of kentucky is doing the right thing. he actually is a democrat that shows that leadership is vital, and covering your folks matters more than small-ball politics. i also know this. in the city of atlanta, grady hospital could lose as much as $100 million annually in revenue. >> wow. >> it's one of the largest public hospitals in the united states of america. these are the working poor. these are middle class folks in need. and we could provide a hundred
6:08 pm
million more dollars in care if we just embrace medicaid. no new program. no unfamiliar program. but rather than doing that, we're making different decisions and playing games like senator ted cruz who acts like he actually cares about implementing an effective health care program. we know that's not true. that's why we've got to keep pushing forward, which is exactly what we're doing today. >> you know, karen, the mayor talking about senators, in his own state, you have a candidate tor senate, georgia congressman phil ginn creek who is still talking like they can repeal obama care. >> as a doctor i took a toth do no harm, and obama care is so harmful i voted to repeal it. i'll help repeal obama care in
6:09 pm
my first term or go home. because you deserve a senator who gets the job done or gets out of the way. repeal or go home. that's my pledge to you. >> repeal or go home, karen? >> lovely props, but yeah. this has been a big part of the conversation the whole time. republicans are still acting like repealing the law is a viable option. unfortunately, as you know, reverend, what that's doon is that's done such a disservice to americans who want health care who are still confused as to whether it's a law or a bill. the good focus on the website is that it's getting the word out. but as a political strategy, what he is saying, i know he thinks he's saying i'm going to be tough and stand up to barack obama. but what he's really saying is i'm going to make sure that those of you who could get health care in my district don't get it. that's how committed to partisan politics i am. that's a terrible message.
6:10 pm
>> putting all the politics aside, putting all of the posturing aside, real people are hurting. and real people that had pre-existing conditions and couldn't get covered can now get covered. people who had to cover their children till 26 can now get it. i mean, the real people that are in need, that's what this is really all about, not who's winning, who's up or down, what the polls are saying. are we making a difference in the lives of people? >> we know that we're making a difference. and we're going to get the website fixed. and we're going to get 7 million people covered. so we've all got to continue to push and ignore the nay sayers. you are exactly right. there are real people behind all of these stories. and we need to make sure that every single american who wants health care absolutely has the ability to get it. and the big story right now, what people really care about, reverend al is having a job. and if you want a growing
6:11 pm
economy, you want to be an opt-in state. because that reduces the cost of businesses that want to come to your state or your city and put people to work, which gives them more control of their own lives and their own destiny. >> i'm going to have to hold it there, karen, the mayor one of the best notice country. thank you for your time tonight. and be sure to watch disrupt with karen fin eye weekends at 4:00 eastern, right here on msnbc. coming up, the gop's ugly war on the poor could get worse. the inside memo on reckless dysfunction and obstruction is next. and look out, speaker boehner, a tea party group is targeting traitors, and you're at the top of the list. plus sarah palin is now going after the pope. yes, you heard that right.
6:12 pm
you won't believe what she's saying. and friend or foe, i want to know. reply al is ahead. lily...she pretty much lives in her favorite princess dress. but once a week i let her play sheriff so i can wash it. i use tide to get out those week old stains and downy to get it fresh and soft. you are free to go. [ dad ] tide and downy together.
6:13 pm
6:14 pm
republicans are ramping up their war on the poor and taking marching orders from their boss, rush limbaugh. that's next. in the nation, sometimes bad things happen.
6:15 pm
add brand new belongings from nationwide insurance and we'll replace stolen or destroyed items with brand-new versions. we put members first. join the nation. ♪ nationwide is on your side ♪ prefer the taste of gevalia house blend over the taste of starbucks house blend? not that we like tooting our own horn but... ♪ toot toot. [ male announcer ] find gevalia in the coffee aisle or at gevalia.com there he goes again. the head of the republican
6:16 pm
national committee is in new orleans today, pretending yet again to widen the gop tent. this time, he's reaching out to black voters ahead of the 2014 senate race. his message? opening the doors of opportunity for all children. making sure low income students can attend good schools. yeah. great. just don't mention what republican policies actually are. but even as he was making that trip today here's what was happening in washington. paul makers and takers ryan was leading budget talks with democrats. and his big new idea? cut, cut, cut, cuts to head start. a program for low-income students. cuts to meals on wheels. massive cut, economists say are
6:17 pm
killing jobs. is the plan he's been pushing for years. >> higher tax rates will decrease the number of makers in society and increase the number of takers. we don't want to turn this safety net into a hammock that lulls able-bodied people into lives of complacency. teach a man to fish, he can feed himself for life. do simply feed fish. >> but that was the old paul ryan, right? well, today the hill had this exclusive. an internal democratic memo warning the worst may be yet to come. republicans may be gunning for even deeper cuts. hmm, i wonder where they got this idea about targeting the poor? >> bawl, he knows exactly what he's doing. they think they've got a moral duty to take from people earning it unfairly, spending it
6:18 pm
improperly, enriching themselves. and they have convinced their brain-dead voters that all of this is justice, social justice. fairness and equitable behavior and treatment. and, and that's why the brain-dead idiots go for it. >> so enough with the pr campaign. it's time to see real action. not just lip service. joining me now is democratic congressman emanuel cleaver from missouri. thanks for being here. >> good to be with you, reverend. >> congressman, you sent out a tweet today about the reckless republican budget cuts saying they cost the economy almost a million jobs this quarter. after outreach events, why do they continue this cut, cut, cut mentality? >> well, i think in the absence of a legislative agenda, the house has resorted to petulance
6:19 pm
and discord, and i also think that many of the people who are talking about cut, cut, cut, they're actually talking about tax entitlements. they're giving entitlements to people who don't deserve them. and there is this strain that seems to be running threw this place that there are unworthy americans who are lazy and shiftless and don't want to work. they don't want to admit the fact which would be for example on snap, that the majority of people who receive snap benefits are elderly and children. >> right. >> and he's talking about work, i mean, you want a 95 year old person to work? let me throw out a couple of numbers. 138. that is, those are the number of days that the 213 congress has worked. we're not working. and there is plenty to do. we have no transportation bill. the transportation bill would create real jobs for real people. and they need to stop this attack on people who are poor.
6:20 pm
i don't know anybody who enjoys being poor. i used to live in public housing. everybody i knew in public housing was trying to get out. my father worked hard and got us out. >> i have the same specious. and they never deal with one question. why are people not working? i mean, they act as though people want to sit around and just get $3 and some cents an hour a day to eat. not even an hour a day to eat. i mean, it's the most preposterous disconnect i've ever heard of. >> well, what's happened is that there are people that have been pushing this idea, this welfare cadillac deal for so long that now it's a part of the thinking of some people in this country. and they actually brief that people on food stamps are getting lottery tickets, not knowing that the electronic benefit transfer will not allow that kind of thing to take place. and so they continue to make up
6:21 pm
these things. and the sad part, though, is that there are people out buying it who trust these folk, who are giving bad information. and we have to have this argument over and over again because the people who are in congress, the members here who are pushing this fight around the poor. they know better. it's not a deal where they need to be given the truth. they know better, and they do it sthi way. >> well, you know, today, congressman, republican senator chuck grassly applauded, literally applauded the massive spending cuts known as the sequester. listen to this. >> we've heard voices this morning about sequestration being bad. i don't know how we could hear that particularly since sequestration is working. >> you know, but those quote automatic bublg et cuts is having major impact on programs like head start. so far 57,000 low-income
6:22 pm
children have been dropped from the program. i mean, how can the rnc chairman go to new orleans talking about the opportunities for all today and have a party supporting this? >> well, the deal is i think they, they believe, and i think they really believe outreach means going out and speaking to poor people or minorities and that that will somehow attract them. they don't realize that -- and you said it earlier, that it's the policies that run minorities away. it's the policies. they eventually are going to run working class people away as well. because we're, head start for example is the most efficiently run federal program. and so why would you want to cut that knowing that it is an efficient program unless you just really want to make people believe that anybody who's receiving any funds other than the big oil companies and the banks are somehow unworthy.
6:23 pm
>> congressman, thank you for your time tonight. >> good to be with you. still ahead, sarah pay lien is now criticizing the pope. the pope! for being too liberal. the pope! we'll look at how she's kind of driving the gop right off a cliff. plus they keep pretenting the 2012 lex shun never happened. but elizabeth warren is reminding them today. stay with us. [ woman 1 ] why do i cook?
6:24 pm
to share with family. [ woman 2 ] to carry on traditions. [ woman 3 ] to come together even when we're apart. [ male announcer ] in stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy and more, swanson makes holiday dishes delicious.
6:25 pm
6:26 pm
in february of 2012 rush limbaugh said this about a women's rights activist fighting for insurers to cover contraceptive costs. >> what does it say about the college coed susan fluke who
6:27 pm
goes before a committee and says she must be paid to have sex. what does that make her? it makes her an slut, right? makes her a prostitute. >> that, of course set up a firestorm of controversy on social issues in america. well, today, he's back at it. that's next. baron of the build-out. you need a permit... to be this awesome. and you...rent from national. because only national lets you choose any car in the aisle... and go. you can even take a full-size or above, and still pay the mid-size price. (aaron) purrrfect. (vo) meee-ow, business pro. meee-ow. go national. go like a pro.
6:28 pm
thank you. thank you. i got this. no, i'll get it! no, let me get this. seriously. hey, let me get it. ah, uh. i don't want you to pay for this. it's not happening, honey. let her get it. she got her safe driving bonus check from allstate last week. and it's her treat. what about a tip? oh, here's one... get an allstate agent. nice! [ female announcer ] switch today and get two safe driving bonus checks a year for driving safely. only from allstate. calln allstate agent and get a quote now. just another way allstate is changing car insurance for good. i don't miss out... you sat out most of our game yesterday! asthma doesn't affect my job... you were out sick last week. my asthma doesn't bother my family... you coughed all through our date night!
6:29 pm
i hardly use my rescue inhaler at all. what did you say? how about - every day? coping with asthma isn't controlling it. test your level of control at asthma.com, then talk to your doctor. there may be more you could do for your asthma. became big business overnight? ♪ like, really big... then expanded? ♪ or their new product tanked? ♪ or not? what if they embrace new technology instead? ♪ imagine a company's future with the future of trading. company profile. a research tool on thinkorswim. from td ameritrade. excuse me? glacier point? follow me! ♪ follow me! keep up, keep up, keep up. ♪
6:30 pm
look he's right there! follow me! [ male announcer ] the nissan pathfinder. wow! follow me! [ male announcer ] nissan. innovation that excites. noget a $279 per month lease on a 2014 nissan pathfinder. ♪ we already know that sarah palin has a problem with the socialist president obama and governor christie. well, she thinks his appearance is extreme. but now she has a new enemy. >> what do you make of pope francis? what do you think of him? >> i'm kind of trying to follow what his agenda is. he's had some statements to me that sound kind of liberal, has taken me aback, has kind of surprised me. >> not a liberal, oh, the horror. is sarah palin really serious?
6:31 pm
she has a problem with this man? >> reporter: the embrace that has gone viral, melting hearts around the world, pope francis laying his hands on a disfigured man. >> he's a simple man of the people from paying his own bills to carrying his own bags. now he's picking up the phone and talking to people. >> reporter: those closest to him say there's nothing manufactured about the way fran tis acts. >> sounds like he's got a real agenda, sarah. tending to the poor. comforting an orphan, showing love to a disfigured man. oh, i can see why sarah palin would be taken aback. but she's not the only one on the far right livid with pope francis of the one conservative tells the new york times, quote, i feel kind of thrown under the bus by the pope.
6:32 pm
brian fisher is alarmed by him. but one evangelical said this -- quote, the man needs to read his bible. i'm pretty sure he's got a copy already. well, what about, what are they really angry about? >> reporter: today it's the pope's words making headlines. we cannot insist only on issues related to abortion, gay marriage and the use of contraceptive methods. >> ding, ding, ding. we have the answer, folks. the gop's further right than the pope on social issues. >> i guess could you say boy, your ideology is ridge id and outdated when the head of the organization that just got around to apoll jieding to
6:33 pm
galileo shows more flexibility than you. but, look, you're both god's messengers. who's to say one of you's right and one of you is wrong. different interpretations of god's will as long as there's no fund amountal schism between the pope and republicans. >> reporter: pope denounced idolatry and big business. >> [ bleep ]. >> so a 2,000 year old institution is moving quicker than the gop on social issues? as sarah palin would say, you bet you. join me now are abbey huntsman and jess mcintosh. what does it say when the catholic church is more flexible on social issues than sarah palin and the gop? >> it might shock you to learn that i am not actually a papal
6:34 pm
scholar. but it sounds like the pope is pretty much in line with a lot of the american public in that it is 2013. and we are surprised though find ourselves debating and redebating contraceptive use and abortion. on emily's list we do a lot of polling of voters and women of all stripe, republican, democrat, moderate, independent, want to be talking about jobs and the economy, just like i'm assuming the catholic church wants to be talking about what can we do to help the poor and working families. they don't want to be relitigating these social issue fights that we thought our mother's generation put to bed. but this is what happened in 2012 with the rise of the tea party. and we're seeing it continue through 2014. >> you know, abbey, rush limbaugh called sandra fluke a prostitute nearly two years ago because of her defense of contraception coverage.
6:35 pm
and he's still fighting the same old battle. listen to him today. >> i warned everybody, that's where this was headed. this is exactly what -- i forget that woman's name now, snerdly, the one that was in that fake congressional press conference. she was saying, i want to have limitless, endless sex, and i want you to pay for it. and it's costing me $3,000 a month for my birth control, but i can't afford that with my tuition and everything else. anwa and i want you all to pay for it. like any normal responsible person, i was insulted by this. >> he says he feels vindicated because obama care is promoting prom skewity. isn't the fact that they're still fighting the same battles? >> we're still trying to recover over comments like that.
6:36 pm
and another comment, the thing about pope francis, he's making people feel wanted, accepted without having to change church policy. that's something that the republican party is struggling to figure out. you know someone like sarah palin is the opposite of a figure like that. she's polarizinpolarizing, disr to well and a number of groups. here's someone who has the microphone, has the ability to talk about women in arespectful way. she's more focused on her own future, which is very obvious. if she really cared about the future of the party she would have looked at the results from the virginia gubernatorial election and said look, kuch nel le lost the single woman vote by 42%. this is the of clearest sign they're going to get.
6:37 pm
this is real, this is serious. and this is someone, sarah palin that is truly going to affect the party down the road. it really scares me. >> it is scary, you know, jess, another aspect that's happening, the group, the tea party leadership fund has launched a campaign to primary moderate republicans. it reads, 87, that's the number of republican traitors, including speaker boehner who collapsed once again under obama's lame duck presidency. help us fund primaries to oust those who caved. what's the implications of this? >> i think they could be pretty far reaching. this is the weirdest rebranding i've ever seen. i don't know that the gop knows that re-branding does not mean selling the same product in the same packaging with the same salesman. it actually means changing course and trying to appeal to the people that you've
6:38 pm
alienated. >> instead, they seem to be going further. what happened in 2012 was a sweep and a mandate. because they're trying to take their party even farther to the right we're going to see even more suite seats up for democrat candidates. i don't think the 2014 map is going to be as frightening as everybody thought it would be. we have some fabulous women candidates stepping up. >> you know, a swipe was made at john mccain for comments he made likening the tea party to quote, hobbits. >> i'm a hobbit then. i'm a proud hobbit. because the tea party movement, it's not a party. it's a movement. if the gop machine continues to try to marginalize that tea party patriot who is boots on the ground trying to get
6:39 pm
republicans reelected then the establishment will go the way of the wigs. >> the most interesting thing about sarah palin is i don't think she thinks about what's coming out of her mouth. i think she tries to put verbs and adjectives together that sound smart and people will let it pass. but there are a number of women in the party that should be listened to. rick perry's wife says i'm pro life. you have barbara bush who for years have asked the republican party to take out the anti-abortion plank. the women vote more than men. so this is real for the party. >> abbey's so right. >> will people turn out in 2014? will women turn out because of these issues? >> oh, yes, yes. and we saw in 2013, which is an off-year election. in virginia, black women and
6:40 pm
unmarried women turned out in 2012 numbers. that is a hume indicator of enthusiasm among this group. >> got to get the message right, though. important. >> abbey huntsman. jess mcintosh. thank you for your time this evening. and be sure to catch abbey on the cycle weekdays here at 3:00. coming up, must see tv today. the crack-smoking mayor of toronto, grilled in public by the entire city council. and folks, you'll want to see the reaction. but first, senator elizabeth warren calls out republicans for trying to nullify president obama's election. >> we need to call out these filibusters for what they are -- naked attempts to nullify the results of the last presidential election. huh...fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent
6:41 pm
or more on car insurance. mmmhmmm...everybody knows that. well, did you know that old macdonald was a really bad speller? your word is...cow. cow. cow. c...o...w... ...e...i...e...i...o. [buzzer] dangnabbit. geico. fifteen minutes could save you...well, you know. if yand you're talking toevere rheuyour rheumatologistike me, about trying or adding a biologic. this is humira, adalimumab. this is humira working to help relieve my pain. this is humira helping me through the twists and turns. this is humira helping to protect my joints from further damage. doctors have been prescribing humira for over ten years. humira works by targeting and helping to block a specific source of inflammation that contributes to ra symptoms. for many adults, humira is proven to help relieve pain
6:42 pm
and stop further joint damage. humira can lower your ability to fight infections, warren calls out republicans for . . serious, sometimes fatal events, such as infections, lymphoma, or other types of cancer, have happened. blood, liver and nervous system problems, serious allergic reactions, and new or worsening heart failure have occurred. before starting humira , your doctor should test you for tb. ask your doctor if you live in or have been to a region where certain fungal infections are common. tell your doctor if you have had tb, hepatitis b, are prone to infections, or have symptoms such as fever, fatigue, cough, or sores. you should not start humira if you have any kind of infection. ask your doctor if humira can work for you. this is humira at work.
6:43 pm
he was a matted messiley in a small cage. ng day. so that was our first task, was getting him to wellness. without angie's list, i don't know if we could have found all the services we needed for our riley. from contractors and doctors to dog sitters and landscapers, you can find it all on angie's list. we found riley at the shelter, and found everything he needed at angie's list. join today at angieslist.com
6:44 pm
since day one of the obama presidency, republicans have been doing everything they can to try and make him fail. and even after he won reelection republicans started talking about nullifying the results. here's former gop congressman ron paul talking about obama care last week. >> i've been working on the asum shun that full any cation is going to come. it's going to be a defactor
6:45 pm
nullification because pretty soon, things are going to get so bad that we're just going to ignore the fans and run our on lives and our own states. >> nullification, nullification? the same concept used to defend shavery in the 18 hundreds? and he's not the only one. the president of the far right heritage foundation, jim dement recently said obama care was not the central fight for 2012. the best thing is to declare last year's election a mistrial on obama care. a mistrial? all because president obama won? today senator elizabeth warren decided enough was enough. as the republicans filibustered another of president obama's judicial nominees, she called them out. >> so far they have shut down the government. they have filibustered people he
6:46 pm
has nominated to fill out his administration. and they are now filibustering judges to block him from filling any of the vacancies with highly qualified people. we need to call out these filibusters for what they are -- naked attempts to nullify the results of the last presidential election. >> she's exactly right. republicans are trying to nullify the election. and they need to be held accountable for it. joining me now is joe madson. thank you for being here tonight. >> oh, yeah. >> do republicans think that no one will notice that they're trying to nullify the will of millions of people who voted for president obama? >> yes. and they're, they're talking to themselves. and they're talking to their base. and what you are doing is something that all of us are going to have to do, have the ears of the other half of the country. look, there was not only one election. there were two elections that
6:47 pm
were won by overwhelming numbers. we didn't have to get someone appointed to the presidency by the supreme court. the elections were won straight up without any hanging chads or controversy whatsoever. but it's been everything from birther to you name it, and now this is nullification. most judges get confirmed because it's, to the advise and consent of the senate. this is a very subtle, sophisticated way, in essence, to stop the government. >> elizabeth warren called them out on the pip okay rasy when it came to confirming judges, listen to this. >> many republicans have talked openly of their opposition to any new judges to fill the three vaksys on this court, precisely because the new nominees will give the court more balance and
6:48 pm
fairness. democrats allowed president george w. bush to put four very conservative judges on the d.c. circuit. all four are still serving. one as chief justice of the united states supreme court. >> i mean, they have filibustered four judicial nominees. four judges the president has nominated. is this the height of gop hypocrisy? >> it's the height of right wing hypocrisy, tea party hypocrisy, and the reality as you know and everyone else knows. these are highly qualified judges who have not had to worry about any litmus test. these are excellent judges. and there have been republican judges that have been appointed that have taken liberal positions. there have been liberal judges appointed that have looked at the law and taken conservative positions. this is why we have a separation
6:49 pm
of power in the united states. butque not let them get away with this. and the reality is we have one senator who said straight up, oh, go ahead. get rid of the filibuster. get rid of this 60 vote needed because there's some judges like clarence thomas and scalia, we'd love to put on court. now how hypocritical is that? >> you know in the last several weeks when they blocked four, i think it's three. but not only that, you see on a state level conservatives in 11 states have actually introduced nullification legislation aimed at the affordable care act. >> let me tell you. the word nullification. listen to martin luther king's speech about nullification. that is -- >> that's the i have a dream speech. >> thank you. and that was the argument used to start the civil war. >> right. >> that's exactly right.
6:50 pm
you know the gop rhetoric is ugly. sarah palin's latest hobby is to compare the federal debt to slavery. listen to this. >> this isn't racist, but it's going to be like slavery when that note is due, right? we are going to be beholden to a foreign master. >> you compared it to slavery. >> slavery, yes. and that's not a racist thing to do, by the way. >> not a racist thing to do. what do you think, joe? >> it's a stupid thing to do. you know what i thought about when i heard it? i had just gone to see 12 years a slave. she ought to go see 12 years a slave. she ought to watch a professor gates special. she ought to go back to school. she ought to recognize that slavery isn't just about debt. and let me tell you. 20 years ago when i first started in this business, if you brought up slavery, here's what the right wing would say -- why do you keep bringing up slavery.
6:51 pm
why do you keep bringing up slavery? and now it's part of their rhetoric. and not just her. it's mr. 9, 9, 9. it is rand paul, all of them are using it. and there's only one reason, reverend, that they're using it. and that's because of barack obama. that's why they're using it. it's subliminal. they're trying to make this association with him as an african-american and slavery. so the reality is, i would tell sarah palin, shut up, go to the movie, see 12 years a slave and read a couple books. >> the reason she needs to do that is because in the united states, slavery was based on race. you cannot talk about slavery in america and not refer to race. >> yeah. >> ms. palin should know that. >> read the fugitive slave act law. read a few things, you know. >> 20 years later, you're still fighting them, joe madison. >> hey, you and me together,
6:52 pm
anytime. we'll always stay on the road. that's right. up next, the amazing speck tackal broadcast around the world. grilling mayor ford over his drug use on live television. >> reason i drank or did drugs was not because of stress. it was out of sheer stupidity. that's all it was. >> you have to see it to believe it. that's next. say hello to the new jodge family. the new jodge durango. the jodge dart and the jodge charger. [ director ] cut! ok, it's pronounced dodge! i don't wanna tell you how to do your job, pal but i'm pretty sure it's a soft d. [ director ] let's just try dodge. alright -- hello america. say hello to the new dodge family. the new dodge durango. the dodge...oh god this thing is going downhill fast. it's definitely jodge. ♪
6:53 pm
6:54 pm
after months of rumors, last month toronto's mayor rob ford finally admitted to using crack cocaine, saying he was in a, quote, drunken stupor at the time. well, today mayor ford faced the music in front of the toronto city council in what amounted to a live televised intervention broadcast around the world. >> mr. mayor, have you purchased illegal drugs in the last two years? >> yes, i have. the reason i drank or did drugs was not because of stress. it was out of sheer stupidity. that's all it was.
6:55 pm
>> that has been deemed or suggested it has been a crack house. >> no, sir. >> that is not a crack house. >> sorry? >> that is not a crack house. >> you have been into that house? >> i have no interest being in that house. i'm not a crack user. >> have i made mistakes, councilman? absolutely. i've made mistakes. i'm humiliated by it. >> wow. we've not seen anything like it. but things got even weirder when the mayor's brother, a member of the city council jumped up to defend his honor by grilling the other officials. >> have you ever smoked marijuana? have you ever smoked marijuana? hold it. have you ever smoked marijuana? it's a question. it's simple. a yes or a no. have you smoked marijuana? answer it. yes? answer is yes, i guess.
6:56 pm
>> counselor ford. >> and then this afternoon new die tails emerged about his use of booze, drugs and even a suspected prostitute. despite all that, mayor ford is defiant, still vowing to keep his job. >> absolutely not taking a leave of absence. i am not leaving here. i'm going to sit here. i most definitely. keeping this job. >> so if the city council actually thinks rob ford is going to resign out of shame, they've got another thing coming. they've met this guy, right? he seems to have no problem playing the clown. he once drissed up like this. and he even has his own highlight reel. >> you're not going to continue this meeting until i get to move that budget. because this snake should be back in its cage.
6:57 pm
>> chairman -- >> excuse me, guys. >> [ bleep ] holy christ. >> we'll keep following this story, because it's just too good not to. she's agreed to give it up. that's today? [ male announcer ] we'll be with her all day to see how it goes. [ claira ] after the deliveries, i was okay. now the ciabatta is done and the pain is starting again. more pills? seriously? seriously. [ groans ] all these stops to take more pills can be a pain. can i get my aleve back? ♪ for my pain, i want my aleve. [ male announcer ] look for the easy-open red arthritis cap.
6:58 pm
back in its cage. my mantra? family first. but with less energy, moodiness, and a low sex drive, i saw my doctor. a blood test showed it was low testosterone, not age. we talked about axiron. the only underarm low t treatment that can restore t levels to normal in about 2 weeks in most men. axiron is not for use in women or anyone younger than 18 or men with prostate or breast cancer. women especially those who are or who may become pregnant and children should avoid contact where axiron is applied as unexpected signs of puberty in children or changes in body hair or increased acne in women may occur. report these symptoms to your doctor. tell your doctor about all medical conditions and medications. serious side effects could include increased risk of prostate cancer; worsening prostate symptoms; decreased sperm count; ankle, feet or body swelling; enlarged or painful breasts; problems breathing while sleeping; and blood clots in the legs. common side effects include skin redness or irritation
6:59 pm
where applied, increased red blood cell count, headache, diarrhea, vomiting and increase in psa. ask your doctor about axiron. finally tonight, new hope for justice for the central park five. the black and latino teenagers accused of raping a jogger back in 1989. under releaptless police interrogation they confessed to the crime but almost immediately recanted. but the young men were convicted. and all spent years in jail. but they didn't do the crime. this man confessed to the crime. his dna matched the dna found at the scene. after their release from prison, the central park five filed a civil lawsuit against the city of new york trying to get correct, trying to correct the injustice of their convic

252 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on