Skip to main content
Internet Archive's 25th Anniversary Logo

tv   WIS News 10 Sunrise  NBC  January 19, 2016 4:30am-7:00am EST

4:30 am
thursday, increasing clouds, a chance of showers by evening, highs lower 50s. rain chance 20%. a strong storm system develops to our west and will bring widespread rain by friday, some rain may be heavy. highs in the middle 50s, rain chance 80%. system moves out by early saturday, colder air behind the storm may sneak into the area on the back end in time for a flurry or two early saturday. sunday looks mostly sunny, highs near 50. right now... sce&g crews are working to restore power to homes who experienced an outage overnight. earlier this morning -- nearly 3-thousand people in northeast richland were in the dark after a power pole fire on longtown
4:31 am
just a few moments -- that number was reduced to about 230, so crews are making progress. many of the homes and businesses are along hardscrabble road, including parts of the summit, and lake carolina. we'll be monitoring the situation throughout the morning right here on sunrise. a story all new from overnight... columbia crews are looking into a fire that damaged a home on olde springs road shortly after midnight. the home is at the back entrance of spring valley where it intersects with flora drive. firefighters had that area blocked off for more than an hour as crews worked to put out the flames. smoke was still visibile from the home more than an hour after it was first reported. you can see the home has significant damage to the roof. we have calls into columbia fire and will bring you new information as soon as we learn more. i-95 northbound is back open in orangeburg county after a crash that blocked two lanes of traffic. an overturned 18-wheeler shut down part of the interstate near the i-26 west exit monday
4:32 am
the crash and cleanunuclosed all the lanes in that direction and caused a backup for hours. we have calls into highway patrol and sc- d-o-t to find out if there were any injuries. several richland county council leaders are expected to meet tonight to discuss proposals meant to fix problems within the penny tax program. those leaders are part of the transporation ad hoc committee. richland county council chairman torrey rush tells wis -- councilman kelvin washington, who was arrested just weeks ago on tax charges has been removed from the committee. councilman norman jackson has been removed as well. the committee oversees projects related to the county's transportation penny, which is still under the microscope after a department of revenue audit found discrepancies. councilman seth rose has been added to the committee as one of the replacements. weeks ago he proposed several changes in an effort to bring more transparency to the penny program. "well, i've taken an active role by sponsoring the motions that i think will be a major start in the
4:33 am
the penny program, and i wanted to be a part of the committee, so i could help advocate for these motions and other measures that i think will be very important going forward." when asked why he removed the two councilmen, rush said all committees are re- appointed at the beginning of the year, so he decided to reshuffle the committee. wis reached out to councilman washington for comment but has not heard back. however, councilman jackson says he is very upset that he was removed. we'll have more from the committee meeting tonight on wis. hundreds marched to statehouse for the king day at the dome rally hosted by the south carolina naacp. it was one of the biggest king day events in the southeast. speakers talked to the crowd about justice, equity in education and the shooting at mother emanuel ame in charleston which ultimately led to the removal of the confederate battle flag from the statehouse-- something the naacp had been pushing for, for years. "i'd like for us to continue to carry on trying to achieve his dream for all of us and i do have some concerns that our numbers won't
4:34 am
they ought to be because we may feel a sense of accomplishment because the flag has come down but we need to continue to be here and show support for achieving the dream." "south carolina has had a very, very difficult time with civil rights throughout history and especially in the last year. in the last year, there have been individuals that have committed unspeakable acts of violence with the sole purpose of dividing us. the reason they committed that violence was because they wanted you to divide and separate. and you know what y'all did? the last thing they ever expected." many in the crowd said they're proud of the progress we've made as a state and as a nation and they hope we will all continue to live out dr. king's dream. the democrats running for president also shared
4:35 am
the dome. bernie sanders, hillary clinton and martin o'malley each gave a brief message monday on unity and king's ideals of equality. a big focus of this year's event was education. presidential candidate "in our state, even in the middle of a recession, rather than cutting public education, we increased public education funding by 37 percent!" presidential candidate "why are there millions of families in this country struggling to feed their children?" presidential candidate "this day is devoted to improving education, and i hope for the children of south carolina progress is possible." also there yesterday was candidate willie wilson, whose name is on the ballot in a handful of states including south carolina. one of the g-o-p presidential contenders also paid the midlands a visit. dr. ben carson spoke to a crowd of about 200 people at brookland baptist church in west columbia. state attorney general alan wilson moderated monday's forum. carson touched on illegal immigration and defeating isis.
4:36 am
the second amendment. "where we are right now is very serious. we're at the precipice. we're about to go over the precipice. if we go over it, i do not think we will be able to return." carson also spent time in myrtle beach monday where he spoke at a king day breakfast. in national news, the search continues for a marine from the upstate. 22-year-old sergeant jeffrey sempler from woodruff is one of 12 marines missing after two helicopters collided off the coast of hawaii during a training exercise thursday. yesterday dozens of family, friends, and community members gathered for a vigil for sempler at the city hall in his hometown of woodruff. family members fear the worst as they wait for answers. "i want everybody in the world to know what a great kid he was. and that's why i'm here right now, that's why i'm talking to you"
4:37 am
brother. i am off today so i wanted to make sure that i came out today to show my support for a fellow brother." "we are dedicated to trying to locate and bring back these service members." jeffrey sempler graduated from woodruff high school four years ago. late yesterday afternoon... authorities searching off hawaii said they found three inflated life rafts that had been carried aboard the helicopters. they're still trying to figure out what caused the crash. the search for a tennessee toddler is into it's fifth day but volunteers and police are still holding out hope that the boy can be found alive. raycom's ian silver has more from pinson, tennessee. s/brian reid/search volunteer "and it's rough going. i've been doing this for four days now, and i'm getting pretty well pooped out." brian reid lives near the search area and has fought exhaustion and the freezing temperatures to help find noah. s/brian reid/search volunteer "insulated gloves, i have
4:38 am
have some tall boots to go over my regular boots." but for a 2-year-old boy who doesn't have all of that... s/brian reid/search volunteer "in this weather and the conditions in that woods...i don't have much hope. but, you've gotta hang in there. you never know. miracles do happen, and i hope this is a miracle." news chopper 5 captured this video of search crews, who have now expanded their search area. but reid isn't the only one thinks it will take a miracle to find noah alive in this weather. s/david armour/search volunteer "be hard to believe, unless the child was in a hole or down in a sophisticated enough to figure that out... sheriff's office "medically speaking, you run out of time search and rescue." but with all the doubt... s/david armour/search volunteer it'd be hard to imagine." some are clinging to faith and hope. s/brian reid/search volunteer
4:39 am
that was ian silver reporting. the search area is more than one thousand acres. the toddler was last seen thursday while in the woods with his grandmother and sister. coming up... the usc men hit the road for a tough battle. plus... a look ahead to the nfc championship game between the panthers and the cardinals. joe gorchow has this and more in the tuesday sportswrap. break 1
4:40 am
oxford mississippi... over the years has offered mostly heartache for carolina. usc... 1-12 all-time at ole miss. the gamecocks look to secure win
4:41 am
two... by locking down the s-e-c's leading scorer. rebels senior guard stefan moody averages 24.3 points per game. many teams tried to contain him this season... all seemingly fell short. carolina knows just how difficult cooling off moody will be... in his gym. a quick look at today's rankings. usc men's basketball dips in the polls after suffering its first loss last week. carolina drops five spots to 24th in the ap... and slides three slots to 18th in the coaches poll. back to news on the hardwood... clemson's jaron blossomgame earned acc player of the week honors. he averaged 21 points and 6.5 rebounds in the tigers upset wins over ninth ranked duke and eighth ranked miami at home last week. next up for blossomgame and the tigers... 13th ranked virginia tuesday night... for an 8pm tip. meanwhile... time to pay attention to bulldogs basketball. s-c state's on a roll! tonight... s-c state defeated
4:42 am
shore 68-63 at home. state's eric eaves led all scorers 26 points. daryl palmer added 10 points and four blocks. it marks the buldogs fifth straight win... as they improve to 10-10 overall... 5-1 in the meac. over in the queen city... on sunday... the panthers will host their first every nfc championship game. they'll face the arizona cardinals in charlotte for a 6:40 kick. entering this showdown... experience will not be on the cats side. only a few of the panthers... have ever played in a conference championship game. tight end ed dickson has with baltimore... and he has a few pointers for his teammates on how to approach this great opportunity. expect temperatures in the teens this morning in many places as cold high
4:43 am
today though wednesday. today, sunny and cold, highs lower 40s. tonight, clear, cold, lows near 20 to lower 20s. wednesday, mostly sunny, chilly, highs middle 40s. thursday, increasing clouds, a chance of showers by evening, highs lower 50s. rain chance 20%. a strong storm system develops to our west and will bring widespread rain by friday, some rain may be heavy. highs in the middle 50s, rain chance 80%. system moves out by early
4:44 am
air behind thehetorm may sneak into the area on the back end in time for a flurry or two early saturday. sunday looks mostly sunny, highs near 50. break 2 a clarendon county woman is trying to turn her struggle with cancer into a lesson for others. billie jean shaw reports on her fight to survive, and to raise awareness. this rare form of cancer known as small-cell neuroendocrine is described as aggressive by doctors. the cancerous tumors have now spread to a couple of kerrie cribb's vital organs- its left her taking life one day at a time. or the sake of christ, then i
4:45 am
pressure is in charge today though wednesday. today, sunny and cold, highs lower 40s. tonight, clear, cold, lows near 20 to lower 20s. wednesday, mostly sunny, chilly, highs middle 40s. thursday, increasing clouds, a chance of showers by evening, highs lower 50s. rain chance 20%. a strong storm system develops to our west and will bring widespread rain by friday, some rain may be heavy. highs in the middle 50s, rain chance 80%. system moves out by early
4:46 am
"e.t.'s" countdown to the grammys. with the guy behind this nominated song. when i see you again struggle with cancer into a lesson for others. billie jean shaw reports on her fight to survive, and to raise awareness. this rare form of cancer known as small-cell neuroendocrine is described as aggressive by doctors. the cancerous tumors have now spread to a couple of kerrie cribb's vital organs- its left her taking life one day at a time. "for the sake of christ, then i am content with weakness." kerrie cribb says it's god's
4:47 am
going. "for when i am weak, then i am strong and god has showed me that he's put more strength in me then i can imagine i had." last may cribb's life took a turn. "i was working as a nurse in the er, i had a lot of back pain and it was difficult to pinpoint the symptoms i had until i started bleeding and the bleeding got worse." doctors diagnosed cribb with small cell neuroendocrine cancer. "it's a rare and aggressive type of cervical cancer. it's less than 1 percent of all cervical cancer that just gives you an idea on how rare this is." since june, cribb has been undergoing chemotherapy treatments at south carolina oncology, at one point her condition appeared to be improving. "it actually shrunk the tumor on my cervix so we were very hopeful." but at the start of the new year, that hope was quickly lost . "a recent scan showed that it pread to my liver and both lungs." the once energetic athlete and nurse says the past couple of months have been a
4:48 am
"it's kinda knocked me down, during the first chemo i couldn't lift my head off the pillow it was so strong." cribb is now raising money to get to texas where more advanced treatment is offered. but until then, cribb says she this thing, the cure is out there we just, just gotta do it.begins to cry this week, she will receive three strong cribb's fund, head to wistv.com, and click on this story. billie jean shaw, wis news 10. wistv.com, and click on this story. billie jean shaw, wis news 10. still to come this morning on sunrise... a lost dog finally returns home. and you won't believe how long it took her to get there.
4:49 am
a lost dog finally returns home. and you won't believe how long it took her to get there. break 3 this morning hollywood actors
4:50 am
robbin simmons has the story. yajaira fuentes says she's got a new pair of angels. "if it wasn't for them, and the microchip, ginger wouldn't be here. right mamuta?" a couple found her tea cup yorkshire terrier ginger last week and promptly took her to a
4:51 am
scanned. "the vet scanned her and all my information came out." ginger hasn't been missing a week or a few months...but ten years. she escaped after playing in the yard with yajaira's sons ginger was in houston texas found near a busy road under a car. katherine fraser blogged about her boyfriend's s nd after reaching out to yajaira...stunned to hear ginger's lost tale. "who would say that it's readable after 10 years and she was worried because the dog was in texas...she thoguht we moved to texas and didn't update the information." yajaira paid for boarding and a flight home but says katherine and byron truly went above and beyond to get this little bundle back home wre she belongs...even dashing out at the last minute to get the right crate. "whoever had her gave her love, but didn't give her medical attention." "i had a 12 hundred dollar dog...that's a tumor, she's all full of tumors." ginger's road to recovery is
4:52 am
expensive surgeries in her future. still, she's home. "if you find a pet post signs...go to your neighbors, spread the word" outcue: "go to humane society, go to pet finder" that robbin simmons reporting. fuentes says it's important to take lost dogs to the vet to make sure they are healthy and to avoid preventable illnesses. the time is now 4:-- thanks for starting your day with news ten sunrise.
4:53 am
process. more on a series of meetings beginning tonight to gather your input, months after the deadly floods. plus... gather up your w-2 forms. tax filing season kicks off today, and this year, you'll have a little more time than usual to get those forms in. plus... cold temperatures continue in the midlands today. i'll have your full forecast coming up. it's tuesday, january 19th. and news 10 sunrise starts right now. good morning. thanks for waking up with sunrise. i'm mary king. i'm len kiese. it's five o'clock on this tuesday, january 19th. good news this morning for people living in parts of northeast richland county.
4:54 am
been restored to nearly 3-thousand residents overnight. sce&g tells us a power pole caught fire on longtown road. people living along hardscrabble road including neighbors in parts of the summit, and lake carolina lost power as a result. the area on this map was shaded red with those affected by the outage, but as you can see it's now clear. the cause of that power pole fire is under investigation. that is certainly good news for those northeast residents to have their heat restored on this very cold morning. tim miller says temperatures are well below freezing at this hour. he joins us now with your first alert forecast. arctic air will push temperatures into the
4:55 am
highs will struggle through the with this system. columbia fire is reminding you about heating safety in your heating safety in your home when temperatures drop this low. they say to keep anything that
4:56 am
away from you- such as portable fireplaces. if you have kids, you're advised to create a "kid- free" zone around open fires and space heaters. they also say never use your oven to heat your home. as always, test your smoke alarms monthly and have your heating equipment and chimneys cleaned inspected every year. breaking overnight in the wis alert center... 11 people are reported dead this morning in a suicide bombing near a police pakistan. a local official says another 21 people were wounded in the tuesday morning blast. investigators says the attack appears to have been carried out by a suicide bomber, who struck a local police chief at the checkpoint. right now, no one has claimed responsibility for the attack. the road to recovery from october's historic flooding has been a long one. and tonight richland county leaders are taking steps to ensure the damage we saw -- doesn't happen again. our michal higdon is live in the
4:57 am
richland county leaders want to hear directly from you about the damage you experienced from october's flooding. your input will help the county develop what it's calling a "flood mitigation study." some of the areas hardest hit during the flooding are in lower richland, and along the gills creek and stoop creek watersheds. you can see from the video on your screen, folks in those areas are still in the cleanup and rebuilding process. that neighborhood you're seeing is one right near gills creek that suffered significant damage when the creek flooded. while workers say the area will never be the same, the cleanup process is said to be progressing for residents to come back to live in their homes. "you can see it moving forward. we've been out here for three months, pretty much every day other than sundays. you can see people out and rebuilding. we've been cutting trees. like i said every day trying to get things squared away and getting the houses rebuilt."
4:58 am
meetings in richland county will be tonight at st. andrews park in columbia. the address is right there on your screen and is set to start at 5:30. the meeting will include interactive mapping stations, questionnaires and opportunities for you to submit comments and share information about your experiences. i'll have the details on that in the next half hour. get your w-2 forms ready. today marks the start of the tax-filing season. the i-r-s will begin accepting tax returns this morning. the agency expects to receive more than 150 million individual returns. the deadline this year is a little bit later than normal. it's expected to be on april 18th instead of the 15th. that's because washington d.c. will be celebrating emancipation day on the 15th. an autopsy will be performed in newberry today after a man was killed in a single motorcycle crash.
4:59 am
dead at the scene monday night on pisgah road in north augusta. authorities say the cause of the crash may have been a significant road defect and excessive speed. toxicology tests are also underway. sumter police say a mother reported missing since friday has contacted them. investigators say 27- year-old shardae davis told a detective she was ok, but didn't want to come to the police because of an outstanding shoplifting warrant in horry county. investigators say they still consider her missing until they can meet her in person. officers say they are still looking for herbert butler for questioning in davis' disappearance. he is also wanted on a warrant for domestic violence. officers found davis' two-year-old and 5-week- old children alone friday evening at their home. anyone with information is asked to call crimestoppers at 1-888- crime-sc. authorities in clarendon county are investigating the case of a woman who ended up dead in a lake after two accidents. the clarendon county coroner says michelle hickson of florence was involved in a crash on i-95 near the orangeburg county line.
5:00 am
car and was hit by another car and fell into lake marion. a dnr dive team pulled her out yesterday. a heads up if you live in northeast richland county... expect increased traffic along alpine road this morning. that's where the new cardinal newman school will open its doors to students for the first time this morning. the old campus was located on forest drive. wis will be visiting the new campus today for a tour. we'll show you the new facility later today on wis. and tim miller's getting your day started with your first alert forecast. arctic air will push temperatures into the upper teens, lower 20s tuesday morning. highs will struggle through the 40s the next several days before the rain chance increases late thursday into friday. 1"-2" rain totals are likely with this system. temperatures will rise to near normal with highs in the lower to middle 50s to
5:01 am
coming up on news 10 sunrise... rivalries between the presidential candidates are boiling over today as poll numbers tighten in iowa. how the candidates are working to spread their messages to voters as they fight for survival on the campaign trail. in politics this morning...
5:02 am
meet the moore's! we're the moore family, and as you can see, we need an internet that can do more. we do more games, and more streaming. so we need more speed. that's why we switched to time warner cable. now we can connect more devices, at the same time. hi grandma and grandpa! ha, look at that! [laughs] time warner cable even has an internet plan for us. get the speed you need.
5:03 am
$14.99 per month.
5:04 am
line. new poll numbers are due at 6 a-m as presidential candidates criss-cross key states. this, just days before the iowa caucuses. nbc's tracie potts has a look at how it all affects the candidates. donald trump and three other candidates are at the same event in iowa today. ted cruz is packing in six meet and greets in new hampshire. trump's increasing attacks on cruz - not mentioning him by name at rallies: presidential candidate :15-:19 "i heard someone say 'we're going to build a wall.' i said where did that come from? nobody ever said that before but me." cruz says issues are fair game but he won't launch personal attacks. presidential candidate :24-:30 "if he or anyone else wants to
5:05 am
insults he's welcomed to do so. i don't intend to respond in kind." our latest nbc wall street journal poll results - released just last night - show the battle for the republican nomination has given four in 10 voters a more negative view of the party but it's not having as much of an impact among republicans. presidential candidate :44-:49 "you can support someone who has universities in the country. the republican frontrunner spoke at liberty university in lynchburg, virginia on monday. he referred to the scripture in the bible's 'second corinthians,' but he called the book 'two corinthians.' presidential candidate "you know... and i ask jerry and i ask some of the folks because i hear that this is a major theme right here, but two corinthians right? two corinthians 3:17, that's the whole ball game." some people laughed at the mistake. the crowd of 10-thousand was filled mainly with students who are required to attend the
5:06 am
tri-weekly convocations. the republican national committee has announced it cut ties with nbc news and will instead partner with cnn for february's 'super tuesday' debate. the decision comes after the rnc suspended its nbc partnership due to the october 28th cnbc republican debate. many republicans critized how that debate was handled and say cnbc's moderators had a mean-spirited tone while presenting a series of "gotcha" questions. the next republican debate will air on cnn on thursday, february 25th. republican presidential candidate ben carson is expected to be in lowcountry today. carson will hold a meet and greet at the charleston rotary club over in mount pleasant. he'll also address the greater lowcountry republican club at the country club of charleston. yesterday, carson spoke to a crowd of about 200 people at the brookland baptist church in west columbia. attorney general alan wilson moderated the forum. carson touched on illegal immigration, the role of the judiciary and defeating isis.
5:07 am
the second amendment. earlier in the day, carson spoke at a king day breakfast in temperatures into the upper teens, lower 20s tuesday morning. highs will struggle through the 40s the next several days before the rain chance increases late thursday into friday. 1"-2" rain totals are likely with this system. temperatures will rise to near normal with highs in the lower to middle 50s to finish the week. the gamecocks hit the road tonight to battle the rebels. the usc men's basketball team
5:08 am
the rebels. the usc men's basketball team plays ole miss in oxford -- where the gamecocks have won just once in 13 tries. they'll have a tough task trying to lock up the s-e-c's leading scorer -- guard stefan moody. but the gamecocks have had plenty of their own firepower this year on their way to a 16-and-1 start to the season. here's a look at the latest rankings. after a loss last week, carolina drops five spots to 24th in the a- p, and slides three slots to 18th in the coaches poll. opening tip for tonight's game is 7 o'clock on the sec network. meanwhile -- the man behind clemson basketballs recent success is being honored for his work.
5:09 am
player of the week. he averaged 21 points in the tigers upset wins over ninth ranked duke and eighth ranked miami last week. blossomgame and the tigers have another tough test tonight at 13th ranked virginia. game starts at 8 o'clock. coming up on news 10 sunrise... blue bell lovers- rejoice. the sweet treat favorite of the south is now returning to some state supermarkets. more on when blue bell is expected to roll out its iconic ice cream flavors at some stores in south carolina. morgan radford this morning hollywood actors out in full force criticizing the oscars for their lack of diversity.
5:10 am
then he flipped, and worked with liberal chuck schumer to co-author the path to citizenship bill. he threatened to vote against it. and then voted for it. he supported his own dream act and then he abandoned it. marco rubio. just another washington politician you can't trust. jeb bush. he's a leader, so you always know where he stands. right to rise usa is responsible for the content of this message. two people can eat all this food for $9.99. -and it's all my favorites. -yeah. two coneys or two burgers, and two tots and two drinks. -yeah. -it's like i'm seeing double. totally. speaking of double... look. maybe they wanna hang out. -yeah, i'll talk to 'em. -just be cool. -i'll be cool. -no, you're not gonna be cool. (yells) you guys wanna hang out sometime? oh, man. i think i nailed it. see and eat double. two can eat for $9.99 all month long. and stop by for buy one get one free wings on monday nights.
5:11 am
stars like jada pinkett smith and director spike lee now calling for a boycott
5:12 am
a row that the academy hasn't nominated a single actor of color. but the big question, what will this year's host chris rock do? so far he's used humor to address the controversy but will the swell of criticism really pressure him to make a choice? more, soon, on today. a hearing in texas today will determine whether or not the case against affluenza teen ethan couch will remain in juvenile court. couch made national headlines for using an affluenza defense after killing four people in a drunk driving crash back in 2013. couch and his mom tonya later fled to mexico. the two were recently arrested and tonya was extradited to the u-s. she has since been out on bond. couch is reportedly still in mexico. and, as his former team gets ready to take on the denver broncos for the afc championship, former new england patriot aaron hernandez will be appearing in a massachusetts court. today's hearing is to schedule a new trial date in one case surrounding the former nfl tight end.
5:13 am
two men following an encounter at a boston nightclub. he has pleaded not guilty to the incident. last year, hernandez was convicted of the murder of his friend odin lloyd and sentenced to life in prison. rescue crews have expanded the search for twelve marines missing after its believed two helicopters collided off the coast of hawaii last thursday. authorities say they have retrieved three of the four life rafts that were carried aboard the helicopters just off the hawaiian coast. they do not believe anyone was aboard the rafts at any time. among the missing is 22-year-old jeffrey sempler from the upstate. a vigil for sempler was held yesterday in woodruff. investigators still trying to figure out what caused the crash. the search continues for a tennessee toddler who has been missing since last thursday. vanished during a hiking trip with his grandmother and sister. volunteers and police officers have been searching day and night. investigators still consider it a search and resuce mission, and they believe they will find noah alive. they say his family is
5:14 am
no criminal investigation. don mclean, who sang the famous 70's song "american pie," has gotten in some trouble with the law. the singer is charged with domestic violence assault. police arrested him at his home in camden, maine yesterday. mclean was released after a few hours on 10- thousand dollars unsecured bail. he's expected to be back in court in february. police haven't yet released the name of the victim, nor any other details on what happened. one of the founding members of the rock band "the eagles" has died. glenn frey passed away on monday due to complications with rheumatoid arthritis, acute ulcerative colitis and pneumonia. frey formed the band with don henley back in 1971. some of the most popular songs of group include "hotel california" and "take it easy." glenn frey was 67 years old. arctic air will push temperatures into the upper teens, lower 20s tuesday morning. highs will struggle through the
5:15 am
several days before the rain chance increases late thursday into friday. 1"-2" rain totals are likely with this system. temperatures will rise to near normal with highs in the lower to middle 50s to finish the week. blue bell ice cream lovers rejoice this morning! the brand is now coming back to grocery stores in the southeast, including here in south carolina. the company tweeted that they are on phase five of bringing their products back to stores in alabama,
5:16 am
next monday, blue bell is expected to be available in parts of the upstate, including greenville and spartanburg. blue bell's products were pulled off store shelves last year after a massive listeria outbreak. coming up on sunrise at 5:30... the fight for healthier school meals in our nation's cafeterias may be taking a step back. more on a new bipartisan bill passed by the senate that eases up on some of the regulations behind the lunches' protocol. the time is now 5:--. we are back with another half hour, in just a few minutes. thanks for starting your day with news 10 sunrise.
5:17 am
i'm len kiese. i'm mary king. it's 5:30, on this tuesday, january 19th. top stories as you're waking up this morning... get your w-2's ready. tax-filing season begins today. the irs will accept tax returns from today until april 18th. the agency expects to receive more than 150 million individual returns. in case you haven't been outside yet this morning... it's cold. tim miller says temperatures are expected to stay below freezing as you wake up. that's your cue to bring back the winter coats and gloves. he has your first alert forecast
tv-commercial
5:18 am
arctic air will push
5:19 am
upper teens, lower 20s tuesday thursday into friday. to middle 50s to finish the columbia crews are looking into a fire that damaged a home on olde springs road shortly after midnight. the home is at the back entrance of spring valley where it intersects with flora drive. firefighters had that area blocked off for more than an hour as crews worked to put out the flames. smoke was still visibile from the home more than an hour after it was first reported. you can see the home has
5:20 am
and will bring you new information as soon as we learn more. richland county leaders hope we never see damage again like what we saw during october's flooding. it's why a meeting is being held tonight to allow homeowners to give their thoughts on preventing future problems. our michal higdon is live in the newsroom with the details. richland county officials say the hardest hit areas were in lower richland, the gills creek watershed and stoop creek watershed. tonight's meeting is a chance for the community to voice their concerns about damage and recurrent problems they've seen since october's flooding. residents are encouraged to bring photographs and other documentation regarding damage to homes and property. the first of several flood input meetings in richland county will be tonight at st. andrews park in columbia. the address is right there on your screen and is set to start at 5:30. officials will then use all the information provided to help develop a future flood mitigation plan. i'll have more details on that
5:21 am
the richland county councilman who was arrested just weeks ago on tax charges has been removed from an important council committee. the council chairman tells wis that councilman kelvin washington has been taken off the county's transportation ad hoc committee, which oversees projects related to the county's transportation penny. that penny program is still under the microscope after an audit by the department of revenue found discrepancies. councilman norman jackson has been taken off the council committee too. councilman seth rose has been added on. the chairman is still looking for the second replacement. leaders are expected to discuss a collection of proposals tonight meant to fix the problems with the penny tax program. "well, i've taken an active role by sponsoring the motions that i think will be a major start in the corrections that are needed with the penny program, and i wanted to be a part of the committee, so i could help advocate for
5:22 am
other measures that i think will be very important going forward." chairman torrey rush said all committees are reappointed at the beginning of the year, so he decided to reshuffle the committee. wis reached out to councilman washington for comment but didn't hear back. however, councilman jackson said he was very upset that he was removed from the committee. he said it could be some kind of cover-up but didn't elaborate. in the wis alert center this morning... reports that the world's oldest man had died at the age of 112. a japanese man, yasu- taro koheeday was born on march 13th, 1903. he said his secret to a long life was taking it easy, and avoidinindrinking and smoking. he became the world's oldest man last august. the ministry of health, labor and welfare reported his death earlier today. he was just two months short of his 113th birthday. a discovery of human remains in anderson county has led officials to seek the help of an anthropologist. our sister station in the upstate says the anthropologist will join the
5:23 am
office to help investigators. officials say the human remains were found sunday in a wooded area off highway 153. the anderson county coroner's office says the remains could have been there for months and there's no way to determine the age, gender or race. sled is also assisting in the investigation. nbc has released new information this morning say the democratic debate over in charleston was the third most watched democratic debate in history. hillary clinton, bernie sanders and martin o'malley took the stage at the gaillard center sunday night. the network says the debate was watched by more than 12 point five million viewers. sunday's debate reportedly attracted more young viewers than the two previous democratic debates. meanwhile, those candidates shared the stage at king day at the dome yesterday. bernie sanders, hillary clinton and martin o'malley each gave a brief message on unity, and king's ideals of equality. the big theme of this year's event was equality in education, with speakers on the stage talking about the need to improve education for
5:24 am
it's big news making its rounds on social media this morning. two iconic stars boycotting the academy awards due to what they call the we'll explain after the break. what many call the "lack of diversity" in this year's academy awards, is causing some actors and he was rated a+ by the nra. not for his promises, but for defending the second amendment... he's a man of deep faith, who fought time and again for the right to life. he laid out a plan to destroy isis months before paris.
5:25 am
and use conservative principles to put washington's broken fiscal house back in order. jeb bush. he's the conservative you can trust, to fight for our beliefs. right to rise usa is responsible
5:26 am
actresses to boycott the event altogether. director spike lee announced on his instagram feed that he will not attend this year's oscars. actress jada pinkett smith is also boycotting the event. she posted a video on her facebook page in an effort to send a message of empowerment. but, not all actors and actresses are on board. coming up, one actress is speaking out against the backlash of the event. the freezing, wet weather and cold temperatures in northern california continue today. check out this video from stockton. heavy rainfall drowned the streets over the past few days. trash cans that were set out for the garbage collectors were instead pied up by floodwaters
5:27 am
period. arctic air r ll push temperatures into the upper teens, lower 20s tuesday morning. highs will struggle through the 40s the next several days before the rain chance increases late thursday into friday. 1"-2" rain totals are likely with this system. temperatures will rise to near normal with highs in the lower to middle 50s to finish the week. one 'fresh prince of bel air'
5:28 am
in the midst of award season, one acceptance speech at the critics choice award has gone viral this morning. it's that of 9 year-old jacob tremblay who won for best young actor for his role in room....take a listen. "this is the best day of my life. i first want to say thanks to all the critics who voted for me. it must be a super hard vote because of all of the other great actors in this category. i know where to put this. right on the shelf right beside my millennium falcon. " tremblay made a point to thank his parents and everyone he worked with on the movie 'room. he added..."i don't have any
5:29 am
i'm not a sports guy is why." some say jacob should have been nominated for an oscar or a globe. he is up for a sag award. one former 'fresh prince of bel air' star has a lot to say about jada pinkett- smith boycotting this year's academy awards. janet hubert played aunt vivian on the 90's sitcom released a youtube video last night, bashing smith's view of boycotting the oscars for what smith calls a "lack of diversity." pinkett-smith's husband, will smith, starred in the 'fresh prince' alongside hubert. hubert is seen saying that pinkett-smith doesn't recognize that there is quote "a lot more going on in the world," and that the lack of diversity isn't as big of an issue." it's believed that pinkett- smith is boycotting the oscars because will was not nominated for an academy award for his new movie, 'concussion.' the academy president cheryl boone isaacs
5:30 am
quote "both heartbroken and frustrated about the lack of inclusion." coming up on news 10 sunrise... you call uber to get a friday night ride, but have you ever thought that soon you could even use the company to fly? more on who the company is this morning in the wis alert center... a utility company in southerer
5:31 am
expects to have a major natural gas leak in los angeles sealed by late february. that's after they say, they've given up trying to trap and burn the gas being released. so-cal-gas says it's just too dangerous, and instead they will continue drilling a relief well, which they say is ahead of schedule. thousands of residents welcomed this announcement. methane gas has been spewing into the atmosphere from a leak at the site since october of last year. emissions from the leak have been making residents sick. it's being called the largest gas leak in us history. numerous communities throughout the midlands are still recovering from october's devastating floods. and richland county leadads want businesses and homeowners to know they're not alone in recovery. our michal higdon is live in the newsroom with more on meetings being held tonight -- to prevent more
5:32 am
if you have paperwork and photos from october's flood or recurrent flooding that's affected your home -- richland county officials want you gather all of that documentation for an important strategizing meeting tonight. richland county leaders are looking to develel a future flood mitigation plan. right now there is still very visible damage at homes in neighborhoods hardest hit from october's floods. those areas include lower richland county, the gills creek watershed and stoop creek watershed. while construction crews are working to finish the rebuilding as quickly as possible.... the meeting itself will include interactive mapping stations, questionnaires and opportunities for residents to submit comments and share information about damage they've experienced from flooding. "what could be done different or what could they offer? the infrastructure, the dams need to be updated. you know, past that level i really don't know. i think that the community stepped up big time though."
5:33 am
input meetings will be tonight at st. andrews park in columbia. the address is right there on your screen and is set to start at 5:30. the meetings are open to richland county residents, business owners, elected officials, emergency responders and other parties affected by october's flood. if you can't make the one tonight -- there are five more you can attend. that list is on our website, wistv.com. live in the newsroom, michal higdon, wis news 10. trader joe's is recalling its store-brand raw cashew pieces of possible salmonella contamination. the product was sent to stores in more than two dozen states. the company is pulling them from the shelves and they're asking customers to throw out the prpruct or return it to any trader joe's store for a full refund. trader joe's says no one has
5:34 am
this out of an abundance of caution. the phrase "let me call my uber" may soon take on another meaning. uber is said to be partnering with airbus on a test program to provide helicopter rides on demand. according to mashable dot com, an uber spokesperson has confirmed the partnership and says a trial run will take place at the sundance film festival later this month. prices and rollout plans for the new merger have not yet been revealed. happy birthday to everyone celebrating today!! bb annie gillespie, age 68 bb carl sjolander, age 17 bb njeri mcdaniels, age 18 bb jaiden green, age 1 line. please give two weeks advanced
5:35 am
jajar" walked the streets in minneapolis on martin luther king day. activisits met in the middle of a mississippi river bridge before they headed into the streets. the protesters are demanding for a case to be reopened of a young man who was shot by police last year.
5:36 am
brought traffic to a halt on san francisco's iconic bay bridge. the group lined up along the westbound lanes of the bridge. they appeared to chain- link their vehicles together as they held signs and marched yesterday. traffic was backed up for several miles and the bridge closed down. the protesters ended up getting placed in handcuffs by police. 70 more national guard troops have arrived in flint, michigan amid an ongoing water crisis. troops visited five thousand homes to prove free bottled water and filters for families. the city has been grappling with toxic lead contamination in its drinking water, following a cost-saving measure that involved switching the water supply. a doctor at the french hospital where five patients were hospitalized after a drug trial went wrong said that their condition has improved. doctor gilles brassier says three people are now being cared for by neurology services near their homes. french prosecutors launched a manslaughter investigation after one of the trial participants died. a new bipartisan senate bill is expected to revise healthier meal standards in
tv-commercial tv-commercial
5:37 am
more flexibility in what they serve. the legislation would ease requirements on whole grains and put a delay on an upcoming deadline to cut sodium levels in school meals. but, it doesn't go as far as cut the standards altogether. the school nutrition association says it worked alongside the white house and the usda to reach the agreement. arctic air will push temperatures into the upper teens, lower 20s tuesday morning. highs will struggle through the 40s the next several days before the rain chance increases late thursday into friday.
5:38 am
voice heard tonight as the recovery process continues. and -- gather up your w- 2's. forms in. plus... cold temperatures continue in the midlands today. i'll have your full forecast coming up. good morning. thanks for waking up with
5:39 am
i'm mary king. i'm len kiese. it's 6 o'clock. this morning -- the forecast is calling for a 100% chance, of cold. temperatures are in the teens right now in parts of the midlands. and that could be the case for the next few mornings here, with highs only reaching the 40s during the day. let's get your 6am started with a check on your first alert forecast. here's tim miller. exexct temperatures in the teens this morning in many places as cold high pressure is in charge today though wednesday. today, sunny and cold, highs lower 40s. tonight, clear, cold, lows near 20 to lower 20s. wednesday, mostly sunny, chilly, highs middle 40s. thursday, increasing clouds, a chance of showers by evening, highs lower 50s. rain chance 20%. a strong storm system develops to our west and will bring widespread rain by friday, some rain may
5:40 am
highs in the middle 50s, rain chance 80%. system moves out by early saturday, colder air behind the storm may sneak into the area on the back end in time for a flurry or two early saturday. sunday looks mostly sunny, highs near 50.
5:41 am
columbia fire is s minding you about heating safety in your home when temperatures drop this low. they say keep the space around any portable space heaters, furnaces and fireplaces clear by at least 3 feet. they also say never use your oven to heat your home. as always, test your smoke alarms monthly and have your heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year. sce&g says a brief power outage county was caused by a power pole that caught fire. you may have noticed the outage if you live along hardscrabble road, including parts of the summit and lake carolina neighborhoods.. power to all of the nearly 3 thousand customers has since been restored this morning. we do not know yet what started the fire that led to the outage. the road to recovery from has been a long one. and tonight richland county leaders are taking steps to ensure the damage we saw -- doesn't happen again. our michal higdon is live in the
5:42 am
richland county leaders want to hear directly from you about the damage you experienced from october's flooding. your input will help the county develop what it's calling a "flood mitigation study." some of the areas hardest hit during the flooding are in lower richland, and along the gills creek and stoop creek watersheds. you can see from the video on your screen, folks in those areas are still in the cleanup and rebuilding process. that neighborhood you're seeing is one right near gills creek that suffered significant damage when the creek flooded. while workers say the area will never be the same, the cleanup process is said to be progressing for residents to come back to live in their homes. "you can see it moving forward. we've been out here for three months, pretty much every day other than sundays. you can see people out and rebuilding. we've been cutting trees.s. like i said every day trying to get things squared away and getting the houses rebuilt." the first of several flood input meetings in richland county will be tonight at st.
5:43 am
the address is right there on your screen and is set to start at 5:30. the meeting will include interactive mapping stations, questionnaires and opportunities for you to submit comments and share get your w-2 forms ready. today marks the start of the tax-filing season. the i-r-s will begin accepting tax returns this morning. the agency expects to receive more than 150 million individual returns. the deadline this year is a little bit later than normal -- april 18th, instead of the 15th. that's because washington d.c. will be celebrating emancipation day on the 15th. an autopsy will be performed in newberry today after a man was killed in a motorcycle crash. 32-year-old anthony ramirez was pronounced dead at the scene monday night on pisgah road in north augusta. authorities say the cause of the crash may have
5:44 am
and speeding has not been ruled out. toxicology tests are also underway. sumter police say a mother reported missing since friday has contacted them. investigators say 27- year-old shardae davis told a detective she was ok, but didn't want to come to the police because of an outstanding shoplifting warrant in horry county. investigators say they still consider her missing until they can meet her in person. officers say they are still looking for herbert butler for questioning in davis' disappearance. he is also wanted on a warrant for domestic violence. officers found davis' two-year-old and 5-week- old children alone friday evening at their home. anyone with information is asked to call crimestoppers at 1-888- crime-sc. authorities in clarendon county are investigating after two back to back accidents killed a woman whose body ended up in lake marion. the clarendon county coroner says michelle hickson of florence was involved in a crash on i-95 near the orangeburg county line. they say she then got out of her car and was hit by another car and fell into the lake. a dnr dive team pulled her out
5:45 am
in the wis alert center this morning... a police chase that ended on a california freeway left officers trying to catch six puppies from the suspect's car. the chase started monday night when the driver failed to stop for california highway patrol officers. take a look at this video. police evetually rammed the car to get it to stop. after the woman exited the car, three of the dogs ran out onto the blocked freeway. eventually the loose dogs were wrangled by police. the driver is now in police custody and all six dog are being cared for by vets. republican presidential candidate ben carson will be campaigning in the lowcountry today. carson will hold a meet and greet at the charleston rotary club over in mount pleasant. he'll also address the greater lowcountry republican club at the country club of charleston. yesterday, carson spoke to a crowd of about 200 people at the brookland baptist church in west columbia. attorney general alan wilson moderated the forum. carson touched on illegal immigration, the role of
5:46 am
he also voiced his support on the second amendment. "where we are right now is very precipice. if we go over it, i do not think we will be able to return." earlier in the day, carson spoke at a king day breakfast in myrtle beach. a heads up if you live in northeast richland county... expect increased traffic along alpine road this morning. that's where the new cardinal newman school will open its doors to students for the first time this morning. the old campus was located on forest drive. wis will be visiting the new campus today for a tour. time for a quick check of your forecast. here's tim miller. expect temperatures in the teens this morning in many places as cold high pressure is in charge today though wednesday. today, sunny and cold, highs lower 40s. tonight, clear, cold, lows near 20 to lower 20s. wednesday, mostly sunny, chilly, highs middle 40s. thursday, increasing clouds, a
5:47 am
highs lower 50s. rain chance 20%. a strong storm system develops to our west and will bring widespread rain by friday, some rain may be heavy. highs in the middle 50s, rain chance 80%. system moves out by early saturday, colder air behind the storm may sneak into the area on the back end in time for a flurry or two early saturday. sunday looks mostly sunny, highs near 50. up next on sunrise -- mexico working to keep "el chapo" locked up. after the notorious drug king-pin made his second escape from prison last year, after the notorious drug king-pin made his second escape from prison last year, what mexican authorities are doing at his jail to make sure it doesn't happen a third time. a new study this morning shows
5:48 am
grew last year at it's weakest pace in more than 25 years. china's economy grew by 6.9% in 2015, compared with 7.3% a year earlier, marking its slowest growth in a quarter of a century. it's being seen as a major concern for investors around the world. china's growth is seen as a driver of the global economy. asian stock markets chalked modest gains today after the announcement. mexico has beefed up security at the prison holding joaquin "el chapo" guzman -- hoping to prevent a third escape. guzman was captured some six months after a brazen prison break using a tunnel connected to his cell. workers are reinforcing the floor of his current cell, and a guard is at his door at all times. the improved security measures also include reducing the number of inmates, quadrupling the number of cameras, and moving guzman
5:49 am
another prison in mexico is getting some upgrades ahead of a visit from the pope. pope francis is visiting the prison, which used to be a center and symbol of gang power, on february 17th. the prison is calm enough that francis will be able to enter and speak to prisoners, 250 relatives and 100 religious workers. inmates are currently building a new bell tower ahead of his visit. the republican national committee says it's cutting ties with nbc news for february's super tuesday debate, and will instead partner with cnn. the rnc had suspended its nbc partnership after the republican debate on cnbc back in october. many republicans critized how that debate was handled and say cnbc's moderators had a mean-spirited tone while presenting a series of "gotcha" questions. the "super tuesday" debate is february 25th. donald trump made a minor gaff while visiting one of the most prominent christian universities in the country. the republican frontrunner spoke at liberty university in lynchburg, virginia on monday. he referred to the scripture in the bible's 'second corinthians,' but he
5:50 am
corinthians.' presidential candidate "you know... and i ask jerry and i ask some of the folks because i hear that this is a major theme right here, but two corinthians right? two corinthians 3:17, that's the whole ball game." some people laughed at the mistake. the crowd of 10-thousand was filled mainly with students who are required to attend the university's tri-weekly convocations. trump has eagerly targeted evangelicals, a key voting bloc for the iowa caucus. =no toss= expect temperatures in the teens this morning in many places as cold high pressure is in charge today though wednesday. today, sunny and cold, highs lower 40s. tonight, clear, cold, lows near 20 to lower 20s. wednesday, mostly sunny, chilly, highs middle 40s. thursday, increasing clouds, a chance of showers by evening, highs lower 50s. rain chance 20%. a strong storm system develops to our west and will bring widespread rain by friday, some rain may be heavy. highs in the middle 50s, rain chance 80%. system moves out by early saturday, colder air behind the storm may sneak
5:51 am
50. today's picture the weather is from rachel gandhi, thomas sumter academy send us your weather pictures to
5:52 am
columbia, sc 29202. the gamecocks hit the road tonight to battle the rebels. the usc men's basketball team plays ole miss in oxford -- the gamecocks hit the road tonight to battle the rebels. the usc men's basketball team plays ole miss in oxford -- where the gamecocks have won just once in 13 tries. they'll have a tough task trying to lock up the s-e-c's leading scorer -- guard stefan moody. but the gamecocks have had plenty of their own firepower this year on their way to a 16-and-1 start to the season. here's a look at the latest rankings. after a loss last week, carolina drops five spots to 24th in the a- p, and
tv-commercial
5:53 am
slots to 18th in the coaches poll. opening tip for tonight's game is 7 o'clock on the sec network. meanwhile -- the man behind clemson basketballs recent success is being honored for his work. jaron blossomgame was named acc player of the week. he averaged 21 points in the tigers upset wins over ninth ranked duke and eighth ranked miami last week. blossomgame and the tigers have another tough test tonight at 13th ranked virginia. game starts at 8 o'clock. up next on sunrise -- a look at expect temperatures in the teens this morning in
5:54 am
then he flipped, and worked with liberal chuck schumer to co-author the path to citizenship bill. he threatened to vote against it. and then voted for it. he supported his own dream act and then he abandoned it. marco rubio. just another washington politician you can't trust. jeb bush. he's a leader, so you always know where he stands. right to rise usa
5:55 am
many places as cold high thursday, increasing clouds, a to our west and will bring flurry or two early saturday. heavy lake effect snow is once again targeting the great lakes where final totals could be measured in feet by the middle of this week. as much as 6 inches fell in parts of ohio monday, blanketing roadways and causing accidents. a lake effect snow warning remains in effect this morning for several
5:56 am
parts of michigan, pennsylvania, and new york along the great lakes will also be hit hard in the coming days. today in texas -- the "affluenza teen" case will go before a judge to determine if it will remain in juvenile court. ethan couch made national headlines by successfully arguing an "affluenza" defense for a dui crash that killed after killing four people in 2013 -- which got him probation instead of jail time. he and his mother tonya were recently arrested in mexico after they fled the u-s together following a missed probation appointment. couch is reportedly still in a mexican jail. former nfl star and convicted murderer aaron hernandez will appear in a massachusetts court today. hernandez is facing trial for a double murder outside a boston night club in 2012 -- a separate case from his 2013 murder conviction for the death of his friend odin lloyd. he has pleaded not guilty to the double murder. today's hearing is to set a new trial date. one of the founding members of the rock band "the eagles" has died. glenn frey passed away on monday
5:57 am
complications from a number of health issues. frey formed the band with don henley back in 1971. some of the most popular songs of group include "hotel california" and "take it easy." glenn frey was 67 years old. blue bell ice cream is coming back to grocery stores in the southeast, including here in south carolina. the company tweeted that they are on phase five of bringing their products back to stores in alabama, georgia, kentucky, tennessee, virginia and the carolinas. next monday, blue bell is expected to be available in parts of the upstate, including greenville and spartanburg. blue bell's products were pulled off store shelves last year after a massive listeria outbreak. the u-s is preparing for a visit from another prominent world figure. ahead in our next half hour of sunrise -- why the dalai lama is heading to the states this morning. the time is now 6:--. thanks for starting your day with news 10 sunrise. we are back with another half good morning. thanks for waking up with
5:58 am
(phone ringing) you can't deal with something, by ignoring it. but that's how some presidential candidates seem to be dealing with social security. americans work hard, and pay into it. so our next president needs a real plan to keep it strong. (elephant noise) (donkey noise) hey candidates, answer the call already. i'm len kiese. i'm mary king. it's 6:30. top stories as you're waking up this morning...
5:59 am
tax-filing season begins today. the irs will accept tax returns from today until april 18th. the agency expects to receive returns. and -- temperatures in the teens early this morning in parts of the midlands. you'll need to whip out those winter coats and gloves -- and we are entering a stretch of days with high temperatures only in the 40s. all that ahead of some rain later this week -- let's get a check of your forecast now with tim miller. and tim miller's keeping an eye on your first alert forecast. expect temperatures in the teens this morning in many places as cold high pressure is in charge today though wednesday. today, sunny and cold, highs lower 40s. tonight, clear, cold, lows near 20 to lower 20s. wednesday, mostly sunny, chilly, highs middle 40s. thursday, increasing clouds, a chance of showers by evening, highs lower 50s. rain chance 20%. a strong storm system develops to our west and will bring widespread rain by friday, some rain may be heavy. highs in the middle 50s, rain chance 80%. system moves out by early saturday, colder
6:00 am
into the area on the back end in time for a flurry or two early saturday. sunday looks mostly sunny, highs near 50. first alert traffic report breaking right now in the wis alert center... a new report just relased this
6:01 am
19-thousand civilians were killed in iraq within from january 2014 to october 2015. a toll the united nations calls "staggering" in a new report. in the 21-month period: -- nearly 19-thousand civilians were killed, about half of them in baghdad alone. -- another 36 thousand were wounded. -- about 3.2 million people were internally displaced, including a million school-aged children. the report outlines the horrific impact iraq's ongoing conflict is having on its civilian population. it also accuses the islamic state of crimes against humanity and possibly genocide. columbia crews are looking into a fire that damaged a home on olde springs road shortly after midnight. the home is at the back entrance of spring valley where it intersects with flora drive. firefighters had that area blocked off for more than an hour as crews worked to put out the flames. you can see the home has significant damage to the roof.
6:02 am
and will bring you new information as soon as we learn more. the richland county councilman who was arrested just weeks ago on tax charges has been removed from an important council committee. the council chairman tells wis that councilman kelvin washington has been taken off the county's transportation ad hoc committee, which oversees projects related to the county's transportation penny. that penny program is still under the microscope after an audit by the department of revenue found discrepancies. councilman norman jackson has been taken off the council committee too. councilman seth rose has been added on. the chairman is still looking for the second replacement. leaders are expected to discuss a collection of proposals tonight meant to fix the problems with the penny tax program. "well, i've taken an active role by sponsoring the motions that i think will be a major start in the corrections that are needed with the penny program, and i wanted to be a part of the committee, so i could help advocate for these motions and other measures that i think will be very important going forward." chairman torrey rush said all committees are reappointed at
6:03 am
he decided to reshuffle the committee. wis reached out to councilman washington for comment but didn't hear back. however, councilman jackson said he was very upset that he was removed from the committee. he said it could be some kind of cover-up but didn't elaborate. richland county leaders hope we never see damage again like what we saw during october's flooding. it's why a meeting is being held tonight to allow homeowners to give their thoughts on preventing future problems. our michal higdon is live in the newsroom with the details. richland county officials say the hardest hit areas were in lower richland, the gills creek watershed and stoop creek watershed. tonight's meeting is a chance for the community to voice their concerns about damage and recurrent problems they've seen since october's flooding. residents are encouraged to bring photographs and other documentation regarding damage to homes and property. the first of several flood input meetings in richland county will be tonight at st. andrews park in columbia. the address is right there on
6:04 am
to start at 5:30. officials will then use all the information provided to help develop a future flood mitigation plan. i'll have more details on that in about 10 minutes. the spartanburg county coroner's officer has asked an anthropologist for help identify human remains. officials say the human remains were found sunday in a wooded area off highway 153. they could have been there for months and there's no way to determine the age, gender or race right now. sled is also assisting in the investigation. rescue crews have expanded the search for twelve marines missing after its believed two helicopters collided off the coast of hawaii last thursday. authorities say they have retrieved three of the four life rafts that were carried aboard the helicopters just off the hawaiian coast. they do not believe anyone was aboard the rafts at any time. among the missing is 22-year-old jeffrey sempler from the upstate. a vigil for sempler was held yesterday in woodruff. investigators still trying to figure out what caused the
6:05 am
new this morning -- nbc says sunday's presidential debate was the third most watched democratic debate in history. hillary clinton, bernie sanders and martin o'malley took the stage in charleston. the network says the debate was watched by more than 12 point five million viewers. sunday's debate reportedly attracted more young viewers than the two previous democratic debates. all three of the democratic frontrunners shared a stage again monday during king day at the dome. bernie sanders, hillary clinton and martin o'malley each gave a brief message on unity, and king's ideals of equality. the big theme of this year's event was equality in education, with speakers on the stage talking about the need to improve education for minority students. it's big news making its rounds on social media this morning. two iconic stars boycotting the academy awards due to what they call the lack of diversity. and in a surprising twist, one actress is speaking out
6:06 am
a doctor at the french hospital where five patients were hospitalized after a drug trial went wrong said that their condition has improved. doctor gilles brassier says three people are now receiving neurology treatment near their homes. french prosecutors launched a manslaughter investigation after one of the trial participants died. the tests contained a drug to ease pain and anxiety. the futuristic lab program, once called "google x," now has a new name and logo. it's now simply called "x," and it's represented by a 3-d yellow x. it's known mostly for investing in technologies that directors believe will shape the future. x has placed big bets on driverless cars, as well as wi-fi balloons and drones. x separated from google last year. an umbrella company called "alphabet" was formed to oversee them all.
6:07 am
taking off in the near future. uber is said to be partnering with airbus on a test program to provide helicopter rides on demand. according to mashable dot com, an uber spokesperson has confirmed the partnership and says a trial run will take place at the sundance film festival later this month. prices and rollout plans for the new merger have not yet been revealed. netflix says it's putting new emphasis on family shows. the company says they're making a special effort to produce programming for children and families this year. netflix will offer 20 new programs in the category, which will be led by next month's premiere remake of the popular sitcom "full house." netflix's chief content officer says there's not enough programming for children and families on traditional t-v right now. expect temperatures in the teens this morning in many places as cold high pressure is in charge today though wednesday. today, sunny and cold, highs lower 40s. tonight, clear, cold, lows near 20 to lower 20s. wednesday, mostly sunny, chilly, highs middle 40s. thursday, increasing clouds, a chance of showers by evening, highs lower
6:08 am
20%. a strong storm system develops to our west and will bring widespread rain by friday, some rain may be heavy. highs in the middle 50s, rain chance 80%. system moves out by early saturday, colder air behind the storm may sneak into the area on the back end in time for a flurry or two early saturday. sunday looks mostly sunny, highs near 50. first alert traffic report director spike lee announced on his instagram feed that he will not
6:09 am
director spike lee announced on his instagram feed that he will
6:10 am
oscars -- citing a "lack of diversity". actress jada pinkett smith is also boycotting the event. her husband will did not receive a nomination for his role in the movie "concussion". she posted a video on her facebook page in an effort to send a message of empowerment. for the second year, all oscar nominees are white. meanwhile -- one actress is speaking out against jada pinkett smith's stance. janet hubert played aunt vivian on the 90's sitcom fresh prince of bel aire, and released a youtube video last night, bashing smith's view of boycotting one former 'fresh prince of bel air' star has a lot to say about jada pinkett- smith boycotting this year's academy awards. hubert is seen saying that pinkett-smith doesn't recognize that there is quote "a lot more going on in the world," and that the lack
6:11 am
in the wis alert center this
6:12 am
u.s today for a health check-up in minnesota. the visit comes after he was forced to cancel a visit to the u.s earlier last year. tibet's spiritual leader will visit the mayo clinic for his yearly check-up. he arrived at the airport in india just a few moments ago. the 80-year-old said he had a minor problem in his eye but was not ill otherwise. he added that it was a routine
6:13 am
meet with scientists in wisconsin during his trip. protesters with "justice for jamar" walked the streets in minneapolis on martin luther king day to call for justice. activists met in the middle of a mississippi river bridge before they headed into the streets. the protesters are demanding for a case to be reopened of a young man who was shot by police last year. they're also rallying for the release of a video of the deadly police shooting of 24-year-old jamar clark. meanwhile in california... dozens of protesters brought traffic to a halt on san francisco's iconic bay bridge. the "black lives matter" group lined up along the westbound lanes of the bridge. they appeared to chain- link their vehicles together as they held signs and marched yesterday. traffic was backed up for several miles and the bridge closed down. the protesters ended up getting placed in handcuffs by police. 70 more national guard troops have arrived in flint, michigan amid an ongoing water crisis. over the weekend, troops visited five thousand homes to prove free bottled water and filters for families. the city has been grappling with toxic lead contamination in its drinking water, following a
6:14 am
involved switching the water supply from lake huron to the flint river. iraqi security forces have been searching the baghdad neighborhood where three americans were reportedly kidnapped over the weekend. the troops have closed streets and conducted house-to-house searches. an iraqi government intelligence official says the americans were kidnapped from the home of their interpreter, and they have not been heard from since. supporters of republican presidential candidate ted cruz are shelling out some big bucks for new advertising, including some in south carolina. a well-funded outside group that is helping cruz has purchased $2.5 million of tv ad time. the group, called keep the promise "1", has placed ads that will begin airing tuesday in iowa. in a week the ads will expand to third-to-vote south carolina. expect temperatures in the teens this morning in many places as cold high pressure is in charge today though wednesday. today, sunny and cold, highs lower 40s. tonight, clear, cold, lows near 20 to lower 20s. wednesday, mostly sunny, chilly,
6:15 am
thursday, increasing clouds, a chance of showers by evening, highs lower 50s. rain chance 20%. a strong storm system develops to our west and will bring widespread rain by friday, some rain may be heavy. highs in the middle 50s, rain chance 80%. system moves out by early saturday, colder air behind the storm may sneak into the area on the back end in time for a flurry or numerous communities throughout the midlands are still recovering from october's devastating are still recovering from october's devastating floods. and richland county leaders want businesses and homeowners to know they're not alone in recovery. our michal higdon is live in the newsroom with more on meetings being held tonight -- to prevent more problems in the future. if you have paperwork and photos from october's flood or recurrent flooding that's affected your home -- richland county officials want you gather all of that documentation for an important strategizing meeting tonight.
6:16 am
looking to develop a future flood mitigation plan. right now there is still very visible damage at homes in neighborhoods hardest hit from october's floods. those areas include lower richland county, the gills creek watershed and stoop creek watershed. while construction crews are working to finish the rebuilding as quickly as possible.... the meeting itself will include interactive mapping stations, questionnaires and opportunities for residents to submit comments and share information about damage they've experienced from flooding. "what could be done different or what could they offer? the infrastructure, the dams need to be updated. you know, past that level i really don't know. i think that the community stepped up big time though." the first of several flood- input meetings will be tonight at st. andrews park in columbia. the address is right there on your screen and is set
6:17 am
the meetings are open to richland county residents, business owners, elected officials, emergency responders and other parties affected by october's flood. if you can't make the one tonight -- there are five more you can attend. that list is on our website, wistv.com. live in the newsroom, michal higdon, wis news 10. the time is now . coming up, we'll have one final check of your traffic and weather. plus the headlines of the day. thanks for starting your day with us!
6:18 am
breaking news regarding that fire that happened on olde springs road overnight... we're told a columbia fire unun is on the scene right now battling hot spots that rekindled early this morning. the home is at the back entrance of spring valley where it intersects with flora drive. we're awaiting more information on the cause of that fire. we have calls into columbia fire and will bring you new information as soon as we learn more. we're also awaiting more information on the cause of a utility pole fire that knocked out power to nearly 3-thousand people overnight. you may have noticed the outage if you live along hardscrabble road, including parts of the summit and lake carolina neighborhoods. sce&g reports all power to the affected are has
tv-commercial
6:19 am
today marks the start of the today marks the start of the tax-filing season. the i-r-s will begin accepting tax returns this morning. the deadline this year is a little bit later than normal -- april 18th, instead of the 15th. that's because washington d.c. will be celebrating emancipation day on the 15th. expect increased traffic along alpine road in northeast richland county this morning. that's where the new cardinal newman school will open its doors to students for the first time this morning. the old campus was located on forest drive. wis will be visiting the new school for a tour today. the gamecocks hit the road tonight to battle the rebels. the usc men's basketball team plays ole miss in oxford -- where the gamecocks have won just once in 13 tries. expect temperatures in the teens this morning in many places as cold high pressure is in charge today though wednesday. today, sunny and cold, highs wednesday, mostly sunny, chilly, highs middle 40s.
6:20 am
chance of showers by evening, highs lower 50s. rain chance 20%. a strong storm system develops highs in the middle 50s, rain chance 80%. system moves out by early
6:21 am
good morning. it's on. polling strong in iowa and new hampshire, bernie sanders gets ready for the long haul against hillary clinton. >> well, guess what? that inevitable candidate ain't so inevitable today! >> while on the republican side, is donald trump about to get a major endorsement later today? ready for a rebound. all choice on wall street this morning after a brutal plunge. will the market bounce back from what's been the worst start to a
6:22 am
monster in the making.
6:23 am
6:24 am
6:25 am
6:26 am
6:27 am
6:29 am
6:30 am
6:31 am
6:32 am
6:33 am
6:34 am
6:35 am
6:36 am
6:37 am
6:38 am
6:39 am
6:40 am
6:41 am
6:42 am
6:43 am
6:44 am
6:45 am
6:46 am
6:47 am
6:48 am
6:49 am
6:50 am
6:51 am
6:52 am
6:53 am
6:55 am
6:56 am
6:57 am
6:58 am
6:59 am

325 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on