Skip to main content

tv   Today  NBC  February 22, 2016 10:00am-11:00am EST

10:00 am
next. it's monday morning, february 22nd, 2016. nice crowd on a balmy day outside. inside studio 1a, i'm willie along with al. >> dylan was going to be here. she went down sick. >> does everyone have to be on their death bed before i get to come. >> matt went down to the last moment. >> what does matt have. >> i don't know what he had. >> our producer is sick, too. they're all dropping like flies. >> do you like my song? >> cake by the ocean. >> you love this song. >> what does it mean? >> i know what it means. you don't know what it means? it's your favorite song. >> i don't like that. i don't like to know. oh, no. >> guess. yes. >> nobody told me. >> is this the hour where you have to read the newspaper? >> no, no. that's decorative, really.
10:01 am
>> trump by the ocean, away from the ocean, trump everywhere. unbelievable busy weekend in politics. wins for donald trump in south carolina and hillary clinton and nevada, secretary clinton bouncing back from her defeat in new hampshire. to beat bernie sanders in nevada. she had to have this one and she got it. she's 53% to 47% over sanders. on the other side with the republican, donald trump getting his second straight victory following new hampshire. now with a win again by double digits in south carolina on saturday. he finished with 33% of the vote there. marco rubio and ted cruz very close with rubio edging cruz out. so trump is looking ahead as he inches closer to that republican nomination. >> it's mean, vicious, beautiful. when you win it's beautiful.
10:02 am
our country. >> that was trump's victory speech on saturday night in south carolina. >> wow. that was amazing, the numbers. ivanka liked like she was going to have the baby on stage. it kind of looked like that. >> he said ivanka, come talk. his wife, come talk. >> just wanted to say an amazing state, south carolina. congratulations to my husband. he was working very hard and he loves you. we love you. now we head to nevada and we'll see what happens. [ applause ] >> the momentum since the beginning of this campaign has been unbelievable. that's because my father's message resonates so deeply with
10:03 am
>> we're grateful to each of thank you for being here to support us. >> ivanka gets up and speaks a she's well-spoken and impressive. >> as one of the guys on you think he'll get the nomination? what does it mean? me that he's not going to win the nomination. hard to see the way it doesn't happen. a lot of people have argued, republicans say we have to get him one on one. once cruz or rubio gets out, but why would either of them get out? they're neck and neck with each other. >> i watched "meet the press," and chuck had him on yesterday. if you look at his face, it looked like he lost. he's got that kind of look. the trump. then he gets a little more animated. t i don't think there is any stopping him. >> he had a riff yesterday up on stage in georgia. he talked about how much we're going to win when he's president. he said, you people are going to say, president trump, please stop all the winning. we're winning too much. >> oh, my gosh.
10:04 am
>> jeb bush, remember a year ago was going to be jeb against hillary. that was before we knew about race. jeb bush in south carolina getting 8% of the vote. suspending his campaign. it's over for him. he got understandably emotional. >> the people of iowa, new hampshire and south carolina have spoken, and i respect their so tonight, i am suspending my campaign. >> no. >> yeah, yeah. >> no, no. >> thank you. [ applause ] >> these guys put so much into these campaigns. they put their families out there, work 24 hours a day, so invested. to see it end is obviously a difficult moment. for him, it's the end of his political career. he was governor of florida. those days are behind him. he's stepping off the stage. >> never say never. you never know. >> you think he'll come back and run again? >> you never know.
10:05 am
>> why do they do caucuses? it's one of those things that i can't imagine being in a room and having to say out loud who i'm going to vote for, and have to convince other people. it seems like the better way to go would be like let's not do those. >> like a primary. >> yes. >> you can watch them, it is amazing. we watched them in iowa, and it's groups of people. you support hillary. you stand over there. you support bernie, stand over there. undecided, stand over there. hillary and bernie people, make your case to those people. they go and stand with the other group. it's amazing. >> all right. >> democratic primary is in south carolina on saturday. they're flipping where they are this week. >> that's right. we're talking apple, you guys. there's been a lot of pressure on apple to release -- to try to get the code to get that code out. for the first time, fbi director james comey is personally weighing in on his agency's fight with apple unlocking the phone used by the san bernardino shooter. comey says the investigation of what happened in san bernardino cannot be complete without getting a look at the phone. saying, and this is in part his
10:06 am
chance with a search warrant to try to guess the terrorist's passcode without the phone essentially self-destructing. and without it taking a decade to guess correctly. that's it. we don't want to break anyone's encryption. we don't want a master key loose on the land. we can't look at the survivors in the eye or ourselves in the mirror if we don't follow the lead. earlier this morning, apple's chief executive tim cook said, basically, the case was about more than a single phone or investigation. he says what's at stake is the data security of millions of people. they're also saying -- i mean, there are all kinds of questions. i was reading the "new york times." don't think i just drink wine and do nothing. >> look at you. >> it did say in here that there have been lots of requests over the years from the government to apple. they said, i think it was something like, where is it, i can't read without my glasses. >> 11,000. >> 11,000. they said that they gave out information 7,100 times. it's not the first time they've
10:07 am
>> is it technically possible for them to do what the government is asking them to do? >> that's the question. they're saying they'd have to make a -- they'd have to write a new program to get the info out. the government is saying they need it. >> i think the common sense question people are asking is, can't you just take this one phone, open it up and tell us what's in there without compromising the other phones? >> exactly. why wouldn't you be able to -- so the chain of evidence remains unbroken. couple fbi guys, walk it over, stand outside a room, wait for apple to do it, give them the information, and then walk away. >> done. >> done. >> i agree. daytona 500 yesterday. >> unbelievable finish. >> that was so close. >> that finish, what was it, like a tenth of a second. >> 0.01 second. >> danny hamlin earning his first daytona 500 yesterday in a photo finish. closest finish in history. watch this. boom! look at that. >> oh! >> wow. >> that's incredible. there was another incredible
10:08 am
>> what happened? >> the fox sports reporter jamie little walks right past cena, the honorary pace car driver. check it out. >> they're all going to be at the booth. >> wow. >> smashed him in the face with her ponytail. >> he doesn't move. >> john doesn't move. >> whack. then the look he gives. one more time. one more time. >> come on. >> bam. she later tweets how could i miss john cena? we talked, planned it and i turned at the wrong time. never saw him. apologies. #you can't see me. run that one more time. >> cena is like, i'm not moving. you do what you want to do. i'm staying here. >> i'm in my lane. >> we love that. >> here it is. one more time.
10:09 am
>> a little pony whip. now watch me whip now watch me nae nae you alerted us to this. a meteorologist liberty chan at ktla at los angeles had a dress that doesn't work well. >> it has green in it. the key is green, so anything that has green is electronically removed by the camera. >> is she maked? >> not quite. >> take a look. >> in the '30s in the high desert. i'm going to have to change. look at this. >> the thing is, when you do weather, you know there's a koroma key and certain clothing doesn't work with it. i think she had a brain freeze. >> is that a blue dress? >> that's a chroma key. they can pick almost any color to key out. >> they just keyed out your head.
10:10 am
>> look at that low pressure system. >> take off your shirt. >> i look like al. that's crazy. >> that ever happen to you, anything like that? >> i've done it on purpose like on halloween kind of thing. no. >> did you get a million followers yet? >> we're not quite there yet. >> how close are you? >> knocking on the door. >> how close? >> well, the door is a little ways away. >> it is. >> i wouldn't say we're knocking on the door. however, it's day 19 of our 25 days of giveaways. today's prize, a kenmore elite crossover ultra vacuum. what? >> you're giving presents away? >> we're giving presents away. you bet. let's go to's take. let's see what we're starting with today. boom, 285,000. it would be so fantastic if we could get to 300,000 today."today's take." that's what's going on around the country.
10:11 am
billboard. >> announcer: today's weather is brought to you by angie's list. home is where our heart is. see more at angie's i got so excited by that kenmore upright ultra vacuum, i got confused. anyway, we have a storm system. this is the one you saw through my shirt. tomorrow, it'll be pushing through texas. severe weather ahead of it. behind it, we're looking at snow. by wednesday, it tracks to the midwest. severe weather making its way to the mid-atlantic states, snow to the west. rain for the east. for tomorrow, enhanced risk, 16 million people at risk for tornadoes from lake charles to the panhandle of florida. wind gusts and then wednesday, slight risk from orlando to norfolk. 21 million people. where's hoda going? 21 million people at risk. look at this, over the next five days, wide swath of rain, could be 3 to 5 inches down to the south.
10:12 am
to flint, you could see upwards of a foot of snow. hoda, hit the button. one more time. >> 285,118. watch this. go. >> boom. on the move now. that's what's going on around the country. here's what's happening in your neck of anderson will be cloudy, patchy fog until late morning. a 60% chance of light rain from 3 pm on. high today of 64. west winds early 4-7, becoming ne in the afternoon. asheville, hendersonville will be mostly cloudy, a 40% chance of rain from 9 am on, high of 57. winds >> that's your latest weather. wasn't hoda supposed to come back? >> she's going to hit the button again with a special guest. >> boom!
10:13 am
>> come on. >> guess who is coming up? >> me! >> ant now you can create your own tour of italy at olive garden, starting at $12.99. choose 3 of 10 favorites to enjoy on one plate. plus unlimited salad and breadsticks. the best tour of italy is the one you create. at olive garden.
10:14 am
because covering heals faster. to seal out water, dirt and germs, cover with a water block clear bandage from band-aid brand. pet moments are beautiful, unless you have allergies. then your eyes may see it differently. only flonase is approved to relieve both your itchy, watery eyes and congestion. no other nasal allergy spray can say that. complete allergy relief or incomplete. let your eyes decide. flonase changes everything. i'm home. hey, it's dinner. a lot happens on your wooden surfaces. luckily, no one cleans and kills germs better than clorox disinfecting wipes. we're non stop, we've gotta have our extra protein. oikos triple zero greek non fat yogurt has 15 grams of protein. zero added sugar, zero artificial sweetener and zero fat. and zero holding me back! oikos triple zero. be unstoppable. mmm dannon
10:15 am
then everything changed. introducing new and improved garnier olia... the only haircolor powered by 60% oils, zero ammonia i love that, with olia... hair gets better every time i use it. now i don't see dryness or dullness. all i see is shiny, brilliant color. and zero grays. it feels so soft and healthy. it's the best experience i have ever had coloring my hair. new garnier olia. brilliant color, visibly healthier hair. brandon thinks hellmann's is heaven in a jar. that's because our ingredients come from... farmers committed to responsibly sourced oils... blended with ingredients like cage-free eggs. mmm. heaven. real ingredients. that's how we're working to bring out the best. anthony mackie appeared on broad broadway, indie films, you name it. his proudest achievement is being on this show 17 times.
10:16 am
>> in his new film "triple 9," he plays a corrupt cop being blackmailed by the russian mob. >> plans change now that he has a new partner. take a look. >> allow me to introduce his nephew, chris. where'd you come from again? >> territory. >> is that even a police? >> belmont, what's wrong with him? maybe he get you to come to work on time. >> you serious? >> remember, you can get the day off. it's all i got. >> can we talk about this? >> he will,ll no. >> remember, if you get on the show 20 times, you get a free smoothie. i'll punch it for you. >> you're on 18. >> there it is, my man. i'm winning. these two guys are difficult. >> we're going to bust you, anthony. >> it's a good bust. >> come on.
10:17 am
you know what he did in the commercial? he pulled his wedding ring out of his pocket. >> i was lotioning my hands. look at that. when you push lotion on, you take off the ring so it doesn't get goopy. >> we don't play like that. man solidarity. >> leave her over there. >> take off your rings together. >> no. >> when i read about the movie, it says action, but there is a heck of a cast, unusually star-studded cast for an action movie. >> you have really cool characters that come together and make this world grow, thrive and explode. you work with kate winslet, it's like you have a bunch of great actors and great nsemble. we had fun making it. >> how do you describe your character, little corrupt? >> one man's salt is another man's sugar. i wouldn't say he's corrupt.
10:18 am
opportunity outside of the everyday 9:00 to 5:00. you know what i mean? >> it's how you look at it. >> yeah. >> how do you choose your roles, anthony? i'm sure you get a lot of scripts that come your way. >> i don't. take what you give me. no, it's all about the director and the script. i love when i can read a script from beginning to end without falling asleep, i know it's a good movie. my thing is, literally, if i read read, by the time i get to y, never fails. >> you're prepping for your role as falcon in "captain america:civil war." character for you. >> it has been. the second coolest thing i've ever done in my life, behind being king in new orleans. give me some of that, all day. >> that was a big deal. that's a big deal. first time, right?
10:19 am
yeah, the sad thing is you can't do it again. i'm gonna do it again. >> whether they ask or not. >> i'll show up in my king outfit and be like, let's go. >> how is fatherhood going? >> great, man. there's nothing better. it's everything i thought it would be. i think being a parent is perfect when you choose the right partner. >> yeah. >> i've been very fortunate to have a great partner. >> see? see? >> i was just giving him -- i love anthony and love anthony's wife. >> anthony is sticking around to answer your questions. we're going to play celebrity fishbowl coming up next.
10:20 am
why am i a fan of applebee's fan favorites bourbon st. chicken and shrimp? it's so smokey and mysterious... then that cajun spice. i almost forgot i could feel this way. she used to talk about me like that. everyone's a fan with applebee's 2 for $20 fan favorites. i sure had a lot on my mind when i got out of the hospital after a dvt blood clot. what about my family? my li'l buddy? and what if this happened again? i was given warfarin in the hospital but i wondered if this was the right treatment for me. then my doctor told me about eliquis. eliquis treats dvt and pe blood clots and reduces the risk of them happening again. not only does eliquis treat dvt and pe blood clots, but eliquis also had significantly less major bleeding than the standard treatment. knowing eliquis had both... turned around my thinking. don't stop eliquis unless your doctor tells you to. eliquis can cause serious and in rare cases fatal bleeding.
10:21 am
or abnormal bleeding. if you had a spinal injection while on eliquis call your doctor right away if you have tingling, numbness, or muscle weakness. while taking eliquis, you may bruise more easily... and it may take longer than usual for bleeding to stop. seek immediate medical care for sudden signs of bleeding, like unusual bruising. eliquis may increase your bleeding risk if you take certain medicines. tell your doctor about all planned medical or dental procedures. eliquis treats dvt & pe blood clots. plus had less major bleeding. both made switching to eliquis right for me. ask your doctor if it's right for you. crisp garden vegetables. no artificial flavors. philadelphia garden vegetable. rich, creamy... ...and delicious
10:22 am
(baseball on tv in background) with heart failure, danger is always on the rise. symptoms worsen because your heart isn't pumping well. (water filling room) about 50 percent of people die (dog whimpering) within 5 years of getting diagnosed. but there's something you can do. talk to your doctor about heart failure treatment options. because the more you know, the more likely you are... (dog whimpering) to keep it pumping. we're back with anthony mackie, one of the stars of "triple 9." fishbowl. pull a question and answer it. >> watch this. all right. who wrote this?
10:23 am
when are you on the air -- oh, when you are on the air, do you take potty breaks? >> that's probably for us. >> yeah, cause i don't. >> questions for him? >> let's try another one. >> go with another question. >> all right. >> peyton from wisconsin. do you sleep with a stuffed animal? >> oh. >> is this for me? >> yeah. >> no. of course i do, yeah. i mean, no. >> who doesn't? >> my son has a stuffed animal, a little dragon that he insists stays in my room. i usually wake up with a stuffed animal in my face. >> one more. >> here we go. >> anthony is loving this so much. >> this is going to be fantastic. >> sandy from richmond, va.
10:24 am
which annual sale do you look forward to most? >> did anyone look at these questions? >> we'll find a good one. >> great question. a annual holiday sale at bass pro shop. >> here's a good one. >> my man pa. when's the last time you changed your toothbrush? when cigarette cravings hit, all i can think about is getting relief. only nicorette mini has a
10:25 am
it starts to relieve sudden cravings fast. i never know when i'll need relief. that's why i only choose nicorette mini. 10:27 now and yesterday... bernie sanders working now on a new strategy in the south... he went directly to south carolina... after his second place finish in nevada. thousands of supporters cheered sanders on in greenville last night at the bon secour wellness arena. the people in attendance were energized along with bernie sanders himself. sanders reportedly believes his loss in nevada was because of low voter turnout. in north carolina the state has its first reported case of the zika virus. officials with the health department say the case was confirmed in an adult who traveled to a country with an ongoing zika virus outbreak.
10:26 am
the virus is usually spread through mosquito bites. so far, there are no transmission cases in the u-s beyond a possible sexual transmission in texas. greenville, spartanburg, anderson will be cloudy, patchy fog until late morning. a 60% chance of light rain from 3 pm on. high today of 64. west winds early 4-7, becoming ne in the afternoon. asheville, hendersonville will be mostly cloudy, a 40% chance of rain from 9 am on, high of 57. winds from the southeast at 6. showers pick up overnight, to of an inch possible. lows in the 40 to 45 range. rain on tuesday will keep it cool, mid to upper 40s for highs. there is a threat of severe thunderstorms on wednesday greenville, spartanburg, anderson will be cloudy, patchy fog until late morning. a 60% chance of light rain from 3 pm on. high today of 64. west winds early 4-7, becoming ne in the afternoon. asheville, hendersonville will be mostly cloudy, a 40% chance of rain from 9 am on, high of 57. winds from the southeast at 6. showers
10:27 am
inch possible. lows in the 40 to 45 range. rain on tuesday will keep it cool, mid to upper 40s for highs. there is a threat of severe thunderstorms on do you think when you are president you'll be paid as much as if you were a man-male... this is one of the jobs where they have to pay you the same. but there are so many examples where that doesn't happen. i'm going to do everything i can to make sure every woman in every job gets paid the same... the men who are doing that job. i'm hillary clinton
10:28 am
there are those who say we cannot defeat a corrupt political system ananfix a rigged economy. but i believe we need to lift our vision above the obstacles in place and look to the american horizon. to a nation where every child can not only dream of going to college, but attend one. where quality healthcare will be a birthright of every citizen. where a good job is not a wish, but a reality. where women receive equal pay and a living wage is paid to all. an america where after a lifetime of labor, there is time for rest and grandchildren. a nation that defends our people and our values,
10:29 am
i know we can create that america if we listen to our conscience and our hearts and not to the pundits and the naysayers. i'm bernie sanders. i approve this message, and i ask for your vote. taking a look at the headlines. the supreme court hears cases today for the first time since the death of justice antonin scalia. the court is evenly split idealogically among the eight members. president obama plans to nominate a replacement over the objection of republicans who say that job should fall to his successor. new numbers offer dramatic
10:30 am
virus is down for hpv. it's down since the vaccine was remmed in 2006. down for 34% for women in their early 20s. it's the most common sexually transmitted infection in the u.s. some types lead to cervical and other cancers. fewer than half of teenage girls and 1/4 of boys have had all the doses needed for full protection. the consumer product safety commission is warning no hoverboard currently sold in the united states is certified as safe. they can pose an unreasonable risk of fire that can result in injury or death. hoverboard batteries have been blamed for dozens of fires. the commission is threatening recalls if safety standards are not met. toys "r" us said it stopped selling the popular hovertrack shooter by razor on its website while it reviews the safety issues. "deadpool" is alive and well at the top of the box office. it brought in another $55
10:31 am
"kung fu panda 3" was second. a story with a happy ending. a bald eagle nursed back to health after being caught in a net last week is back in the wild. spectators gathered to give the eagle a proper sendoff. the eagle first landed on top of a hotel nearby. then eventually flew off and disappeared. al, isn't that beautiful? >> i can say that without reservation, it is. >> awe. anyway, the week ahead, the wet weather in the southeast. plenty of sunshine in the northeast. look for snow around the rockies. midweek period, a mess in the eastern third of the country with severe weather along the oes coast. things quiet down without a lot going on. much above normal out west and throughout much of the country. midweek period, we see chillier air move into the midsection.
10:32 am
by the latter part of the week, we are below to much below normal in the eastern third. western two-thirds looking awfully anderson will be cloudy, patchy fog until late morning. a 60% chance of light rain from 3 pm on. high today of 64. west winds early 4-7, becoming ne in the afternoon. asheville, hendersonville will be mostly cloudy, a 40% chance of rai >> that's your latest weather. to two of hollywood's most accomplished actors. donald and kiefer sutherland. despite having 300 films between them, the father and son never
10:33 am
>> dylan dreyer sat down with them to talk about their new movie if the forsak"forsaken." >> god is not responsible for the life you choose. >> i did not choose it. >> reporter: a talented son trying to live up to the high stands of a powerful father. it's part of the plot of "forsaken "forsaken." it's also the reality for kiefer sutherland, whose father donald has been a star for the last half century. >> i'm going to embarrass him right now. i've always felt not only is my father one of the most prolific actors in the english language but one of the most important. he's someone i wanted to work with. for my whole career. >> is it true you didn't realize your dad was an actor until you were 18? >> i always knew he was an actor. didn't know -- >> you thought i told jokes. >> i didn't know the scope of what he had done.
10:34 am
people," the list is endless. >> what advice, you being who you are, and now your son is getting in the business, what advice do you offer, or did you step back and let him do his thing? >> i didn't give you any advice. i said, be truthful. >> be truthful. and the way i took that was, don't get caught forcing a moment, even if it means -- even if in the script it says, the man works himself to tears. if the script or you're not getting to the tears, figure out another way to portray it. like any other son, i didn't listen that well. >> reporter: kiefer listened well enough to forge his own successful career, which includes highlights like fox's "24." when the series ended, kiefer grabbed the chance to hop back into a genre he loved, the westerns. also starring ingring kiefer's old friend demi moore, it features the complicated relationship between fathers and sons. >> the experience that i had in this film was quite
10:35 am
in many ways, i felt like i was cheating. because whether it was dynamic aggression toward each other or an act of confession that was very sorrowful -- >> it was all of that. >> -- i was looking into my father's eyes in any one of those given moments. >> behind the actor were the eyes of my son. it informs the situation. it was supposed to. it was what we wanted. it was our hope. >> one interest note, donald sutherland said he wanted to act in a film that kiefer directs. we're going to look forward to that. in the meantime, "forsaken" is in theaters now. >> i didn't know they never worked together. >> it's cool. he's not a doctor but plays a convincing one on tv.
10:36 am
nick the yogurt made from your milk, is delicious. mmmm, yoplait. eucerin intensive repapa doesn't just moisturize dry skin, it intensively repairs it. with a unique triple action formula that exfoliates hydrates and fortifies skin. leaving it looking healthy and radiant. with intensive repair,
10:37 am
our next item is a genuine "name your price" tool. this highly sought-after device from progressive can be yours for... twenty grand? -no! we are giving it away for just 3 easy payments of $4.99 plus tax! the lines are blowing up! we've got deborah from poughkeepsie. flo: yeah, no, it's flo. you guys realize anyone can use the "name your price" tool for free on, right? [ laughing nervously ] [ pickles whines ] i know, it's like they're always on television. what? when your type 2 diabetes numbers aren't moving in the right direction, it can be a burden. but what if you could wake up to lower blood sugar? imagine loving your numbers. discover once-daily invokana . with over 6 million prescriptions and counting, it's the #1 prescribed sglt2 inhibitor that works to lower a1c.
10:38 am
significantly lower blood sugarin adults with type 2 diabetes. it's a once-daily pill that works around the clock. here's how: invokana reduces the amount of sugar allowed back in to the body through the kidneys and sends some sugar out through the process of urination. and while it's not for weight loss, it may help you lose weight. invokana can cause important side effects, including dehydration, which may cause you to feel dizzy, faint, lightheaded, or weak, especially when you stand up. other side effects may include kidney problems, genital yeast infections, urinary tract infections, changes in urination, high potassium in the blood, increases in cholesterol, or risk of bone fracture. do not take invokana if you have severe kidney problems or are on dialysis. stop taking and call your doctor right away if you experience symptoms such as rash, swelling, or difficulty breathing or swallowing.
10:39 am
medications you are taking, and if you have kidney or liver problems. using invokana with a sulfonylurea or insulin may increase risk of low blood sugar. imagine life with a lower a1c. are you loving your numbers? there's only one invokana . ask your doctor about it by name.
10:40 am
"shameless." now, he's saving lives and racing pulses in "chicago med." >> it includes "chicago med" and "chicago pd." take a look. >> i instructed you not to go anywhere near jennifer baker. >> but i heard good news. jennifer hasn't had any of the usual side effects. she's doing great in her treatment. >> that's beside the point. you blatantly disregard the one thing i ask you not to do. >> she could be on the road to remission. i'm sure they'll drop the lawsuit. >> you don't know that. i had tried to be supportive of you, but one more misstep, and i will suspend you. >> boy. >> yikes. >> you're in the doghouse. >> she's so good. >> amazing. >> i was watching it and you were sucked in by her performance, watching that. >> every time. >> your mom is a nurse, sister is a nurse, you grew up around medicine. >> i did. >> did that help for the role? >> oh, yeah.
10:41 am
microscope ever created. let's put it this way, if my mother or my sister were unable to breathe and i was the only doctor around, i think they'd be the first to perform cpr on themselves. >> there you go. >> does your mom think you're a convincing doctor when she watches the show? >> yes, actually, she does. it's the best compliment you can receive, from people who know the world. >> "chicago med" is the latest in the world that dick wolf created in chicago. fire and pd. what's interesting, you have this spread across three different shows, with these three different casts interacting now. >> it's synergy at its finest with television. what he's done is imagine all your favorite characters from your favorite shows mingling. you have jerry seinfeld and the gang went over and had a drink at "cheers." the guys from "friends" had a cocktail, as well. it's brilliant.
10:42 am
in real life, so it's practical. wolf. wolf can't lose. he comes out with something and you know it's going to be good. what is the magic of dick wolf? why does it work so well? >> it's not luck, i don't think. >> yeah. >> he's loyal to his fans. he's loyal. he puts it out there. he doesn't want to make flashy shows. he just wants to make shows that work and have longevity. and they do a great job honoring the noble professions. >> when i was out there, i said, he needs lawyers now. then he's got it all. >> now he'll have to pay you because you called it. >> i haven't gotten the check yet but, dick, i'm happy to be there. >> i lost a lot of money. i thought it was going to be "chicago post," the post office. >> not quite as exciting. >> just gave him another idea, my friend. >> what happened to the envelope? >> paper cut. >> we've got a little quiz. >> oh, boy. >> medical lingo game.
10:43 am
>> word or term, tell us if it's medical or made up. >> okay. >> start it off. >> i have to pronounce this. ribenonogamititus. >> made up. >> i didn't sell that well. >> okay. made up. >> real. lines the inner airways of the lungs. >> i had that last summer. forget forgot about that. >> sponform. >> spongiform. >> use that in a sentence. >> can iphone ai i phone a friend? >> it's real. >> something that resembles a sponge, like something with a lot of cavities. >> there we go. >> interesting. sexy.
10:44 am
>> congratulations on the success of the show. catch "chicago med" tomorrow at 9:00 on nbc. dinner with five ingredients, perfect for a busy sargento people are real cheese people, three generations spanning over 60 years. they don't believe in artificial this or superficial that. they know that in a world of over-processed there's no substitute for a piece of real. real cheese people believe every casserole desesees a shred of authenticity, every sandwich a slice of legit. natural cheese off-the-block, 100% real. sargento, we're real cheese people. right when you feel a cold sore, abreva can heal it in as few as two and a half days when used at the first sign. without it the virus spreads from cell to cell. only abreva penetrates deep and starts to work immediately to block the virus and protect healthy cells.
10:45 am
as fast as two and a half days when used at the first sign. learn how abreva starts to work immediately at don't tough it out, knock it out, fast. with abreva. it's about time the taco...came out of its shell. unleash the power of dough. give it a pop. i always keep it on point. new master precise skinny from maybelline new york. our first always sharp waterproof gel liner... designed to master the most precise eye looks. sleek. defined. on point. maybelline's master precise skinny. make it happen. maybelline new york. this winter, you have the power to heal. because your purchase of vaseline intensive care lotion, supports the vaseline healing project. join us to help millions in crisis
10:46 am
jane's always on the move. luckily her light & fit protein smoothie can keep up with her. packed with 12grams of protein and no added sugar. so she can watch her calories and where she's going. light & fit feel free to enjoy. we never plan on a full house. it just...happens. like my ranch dip. two cups of sour cream, a little this, a little that, and a packet of hidden valley original ranch. ranch dip. hidden valley it. living with chronic migraine feels like each day is a game of chance. i wanted to put the odds in my favor. so my doctor told me about botox , an fda-approved treatment that significantly reduces headache days for adults with chronic migraine, 15 or more headache days a month, each lasting 4 hours or more.
10:47 am
and migraines before they start. and it's injected by my doctor once every 12 weeks. effects of botox may spread hours to weeks after injection causing serious symptoms. alert your doctor right away, as difficulty swallowing, speaking, breathing, eye problems, or muscle weakness can be signs of a life-threatening condition. side effects may include allergic reactions, neck and injection site pain, fatigue and headache. don't take botox if there's a skin infection. tell your doctor your medical history, muscle or nerve conditions, and medications including botulinum toxins, as these may increase the risk of serious side effects. put the odds on your side. visit to learn how to save on your treatment. talk to a headache specialist today about botox . to the couple wondering what a good deal looks like... no. seriously? we'll give it a 6 for composition. scary. wow, what about just putting a fair,
10:48 am
not zany enough? sometimes the best deals are pretty plain to see. this morning on today food, five ingredient meals you can whip up in minutes. >> we have the executive chef of ocean oceana restaurant here in new york city. he has a shrimp risotto. good to see you. >> good to see you. >> let's talk ingredients. >> butternut squash, fresh shrimp, rice, sage and chicken stock. >> and your oils and your condiments are already in the pantry. they don't count. >> we like free. how do we get started, ben? >> we take a butternut squash and cut it in half. we peel the top.
10:49 am
into slices and then into sticks and into cubes that we're going to saute in a moment. >> all right. >> then the bottom, we're going to leave with h e peel. we're just simply going to take out the seeds and then we're going to drizzle it with a little bit of canola oil. we're going to season it with salt and pepper. >> nice and easy. >> we're going to roast it at 375 degrees. until tender. it'll take about 15 minutes. >> okay. >> you're going to poke it with a knife. when it's tender, it'll go right through. when it's tender, we're going to scoop out the puree. >> let it cool off first. >> yes. right into the food processor. we're going to pulse it until it's smooth. just going to take a couple of seconds. >> you have a couple squash we're putting in? >> this is one squa. the bottom of the one squash. >> okay. >> then we've got our finished
10:50 am
we've taken the butternut squash top that we've diced and sauteed. it's ready to go. this is a great example, where you can use one ingredient two ways. >> sure. now, this is, in a sense, the time consuming part? >> yes. this takes about 15 to 18 minutes. what we're going to do here is we're going to actually saute the rice in the olive oil for two minutes. >> you want to brown it, get it nutty? >> little bit. it helps it absorb the stock a little faster. so you add the stock in a couple additions. that's a difference between a risotto and regular, let's say, rice dish. you add it in additions. when you can pull the spatula back and the rice doesn't go back too fast, that's when you know you can add the next addition of the liquid. >> good trick. i was going to ask how you know. >> that's it.
10:51 am
we're going to add our shrimp. >> raw shrimp? >> looks like raw shrimp. >> this is fresh shrimp. they've been diced 1/4 inch. we're going to finish cooking that right in the rice. >> in with the squash. >> that we've already diced. now, if you can hand me the puree? normally, a risotto, you would finish it with some butter and some cheese. you could do that here, if you'd like. the puree, besides having another way to use the same ingredient twice, this is going to give the rice a creamy consistency without adding extra fat. >> beautiful. >> that's great. >> keeps it a little healthier. >> may any. >> you may. >> al? >> finishing it with fresh sage. >> the sage on top. looks great and smells good, too. >> that is fantastic. it's got this great sweetness to it. >> oh, man. >> fantastic. >> thank you very much.
10:52 am
head to back in a moment with "today" on nbc. so good i can't speak. change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability. bernie sanders. he was there when dr. king marched on washington. unafraid to challenge the status quo to end racial profiling, take on police misconduct, and take down a system that profits from mass imprisonment. there is no president who will fight harder to end institutional racism. education. opportunity. reform. bernie.
10:53 am
the world a president has to grapple with. sometimes you can't even imagine. that's the job. and she's the one who's proven she can get it done. ...securing a massive reduction in nuclear weapons... ...standing up against the abuse of women... ...protecting social security... ...expanding benefits for the national guard...
10:54 am
the presidency is the toughest job in the world and she's the one who'll make a real difference for you. i'm hillary clinton and i approved this message."today's take."".." we're up to 290,000. >> shamelessly begging every day. >> you bet that. >> what are you doing today? >> the lean and the dab. >> and your training is here. >> my trainer is here. >> a hunk. >> i haven't met him yet. looking forward to it. >> i bet you are. >> and restaurant etiquette. >> should be fun. >> we have -- what else do we need? it's margarita day. >> with your trainer. >> after a margarita. >> thanks for hanging out with us this morning.
10:55 am
>> hi dad. uh huh. yeah...sorry about that. think about it there must be higher love down in the heart what do you think? and in the stars above hi ted, glad you could join us, we think you're going to like these numbers. bring me a higher love i could rise above hillary clinton: i do not believe we live in a single-issue country. the economy is rigged in favor of the top. americans haven't had a raise in 15 years.
tv-commercial tv-commercial
10:56 am
whether it's poison in the water... hardworking immigrant families living in fear... racism holding people back... wall street and big financial interests along with drug companies, insurance companies, big oil companies... the indifference, the negligence. that's what i want to take on. i'm running for president to root out all of these barriers... because i think america can only live up to its potential when we make sure that every american has a chance to live up to his or her potential. i'm hillary clinton, and i approve this message. 10:57 now... in north carolina at least two cases of the mumps have been confirmed in the state. health officials say the cases are related. mumps is a contagious virus spread by droplets of saliva or mucus. symptoms include fever, headache, loss of appetite, muscle aches, anantenderness or
10:57 am
ears. there is no treatment... but there are two vaccines that reduce the chances of getting the mumps. greenville, spartanburg, anderson will be cloudy, patchy fog until late morning. a 60% chance of light rain from 3 pm on. high today of 64. west winds early 4-7, becoming ne in the afternoon. asheville, hendersonville will be mostly cloudy, a 40% chance of rain from 9 am on, high of 57. winds from the southeast at 6. showers pick up overnight, to of an inch possible. lows in the 40 to 45 range. rain on tuesday will keep it cool, mid to upper 40s for highs. there is a threat of severe thunderstorms on wednesday greenville, spartanburg, anderson will be cloudy, patchy fog until late morning. a 60% chance of light rain from 3 pm on. high today of 64. west winds they served our country. our country should serve them better. bernie sanders cracked the gridlock with john mccain to help clean up the mess at the v.a.
10:58 am
bernie sanders has always stood with our veterans, and that's why he'll never rush to put our men and women in harm's way. judgment. integrity. bernie. sanders: i'm bernie sanders and i approve this message. do you think when you are president you'll be paid as much as if you were a man-male... this is one of the jobs where they have to pay you the same. but there are so many examples
10:59 am
i'm going to do everything i can to make sure every woman in every job gets paid the same... the men who are doing that job. i'm hillary clinton and i approve this message. >> announcer: today on the meredith vieira show, we're talking "what's hot now". why is a picture of jessica simpson's husband and mom have everyone talking and have you ever wondered how your doctor feels about you? the truth might shock you. and music legend rick springfield dishing about jesse's girl and a new song and it is all starting now on meredith.
11:00 am
snow feel real good. >> meredith: hey, everybody. we have a great show today, i am excited. my first guest is responsible for the top karoke song of all time. you have been somewhere listening to a drunken version of "jesse's girl". the man behind it is here. rick springfield. but first, let's talk about "what's hot now". [applause] >> megan: it is in my brain. >> meredith: careful we have to pay for it. >> megan: you get it. >> meredith: he's such a nice guy. i am sure you know him? >> lance: i do not. i would love to meet him. >> meredith: you will. he is fantastic. we hear about the dangers of


info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on